Author Topic: Night of the Hunter  (Read 260 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Night of the Hunter
« on: March 20, 2023, 02:29:38 AM »

Title: Night of the Hunter
Year: 1955
Genre: Suspense/Thriller, Drama
Length: 1hr.33min.
Stars: Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters

Plot:
The Night of the Hunter—incredibly, the only film the great actor Charles Laughton ever directed—is truly a stand-alone masterwork. A horror movie with qualities of a Grimm fairy tale, it stars a sublimely sinister Robert Mitchum as a traveling preacher named Harry Powell (he of the tattooed knuckles), whose nefarious motives for marrying a fragile widow, played by Shelley Winters, are uncovered by her terrified young children. Graced by images of eerie beauty and a sneaky sense of humor, this ethereal, expressionistic American classic—also featuring the contributions of actress Lillian Gish and writer James Agee—is cinema's most eccentric rendering of the battle between good and evil.

My Thoughts:
While watching this film I wasn't sure if I seen this one or not. Some things seemed familiar while others didn't. Of course some of it could be from pop culture like the love/hate tattoos on his fingers. But the eerie singing as he walked seemed familiar to me and not sure how else that would be. I liked this one a lot! there was a few slow scenes in it to me buta great film over all and I would definitely highly recommend it. I had to borow a copy to watch it, so hoping to add it to my collection before too long.

My Rating:
4.5 out of 5
Pete