0 (0%)
mad about you
0 (0%)
miracles
0 (0%)
new tricks
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Help needed to choose pilots  (Read 3804 times)

richierich

Help needed to choose pilots
« on: May 16, 2008, 11:19:55 AM »
Not sure what are 'must see' USA pilots in my collection - any recommendations from list above where I know scant information on the series please let me know as I do not want to miss a potential great show this time round.
Thanks
Rich

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to choose pilots
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 01:29:01 PM »
I checked off my top five for you. You have some really good ones to choose from. :)
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 12:54:02 AM »
I thought Damages was marvellous, but no way is it suitable as a pilot. You'll watch it, then you'll watch the other 12 hours or whatever it was! :laugh:

I haven't actually seen many of those, but I did pick The Riches. I saw the pilot and really enjoyed it. Been looking out for the set. I also picked Medium, but I never saw the first episode. I just dip into it occasionally. Light, but fun.

richierich

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 02:41:57 PM »
Thanks peeps, the poll has helped steer me in to some good shows already, next up will be Tru Calling and I can't resist Jon's teaser about Damages  :bow:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 02:44:56 PM »
I will be looking forward to seeing what you think of Tru Calling. That is my favorite short-run series. :)
Pete

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 06:17:31 AM »
I thought Damages was marvellous, but no way is it suitable as a pilot. You'll watch it, then you'll watch the other 12 hours or whatever it was! :laugh:

I liked the pilot, but gave up after the 4th episode, so I can't say how well the entire season played out. Unfolding the story both from the beginning and an end(?) point, where something really bad has happened, is a great structural device. Or at least it could be, because it could take away the "what's next" pressure that shows like 24 suffer from and focus on exploring the "how" and the characters. Unfortunately, the show doesn't do much with it. It jumps from one twist of evil plot mechanics to the next, and instead of exploring the characters it pads the story out with the usual human interest stuff that is supposed to give the characters some "depth".
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 06:21:01 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 11:50:02 AM »

I liked the pilot, but gave up after the 4th episode, so I can't say how well the entire season played out. Unfolding the story both from the beginning and an end(?) point, where something really bad has happened, is a great structural device. Or at least it could be, because it could take away the "what's next" pressure that shows like 24 suffer from and focus on exploring the "how" and the characters. Unfortunately, the show doesn't do much with it. It jumps from one twist of evil plot mechanics to the next, and instead of exploring the characters it pads the story out with the usual human interest stuff that is supposed to give the characters some "depth".

Well, obviously you're wrong.

;)

I thought it was very well-balanced between the intrigue and human interest. You seem to dismiss the latter, but it was vitally important to show what these often ruthless characters were giving up. In fact, you say it pads the story at the cost of exploring the characters, but in fact I see the characters explored in a great deal through that human interest angle. They also used it to play on your perceptions very well. A character you might dismiss as ruthless in one episode would turn out to have a potentially good reason in the next. Or vice versa.

richierich

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »

Well, obviously you're wrong.

;)

I thought it was very well-balanced between the intrigue and human interest. You seem to dismiss the latter, but it was vitally important to show what these often ruthless characters were giving up. In fact, you say it pads the story at the cost of exploring the characters, but in fact I see the characters explored in a great deal through that human interest angle. They also used it to play on your perceptions very well. A character you might dismiss as ruthless in one episode would turn out to have a potentially good reason in the next. Or vice versa.

Definately gotta watch this pilot tonight so  can join the debate

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »

Well, I didn't see much character exploration. I saw generic paddings that serve as the human interest angle.

Minor spoilers up to episode 4:
(click to show/hide)
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 09:14:30 PM »

Well, I didn't see much character exploration. I saw generic paddings that serve as the human interest angle.

Minor spoilers up to episode 4:
(click to show/hide)

Fair enough, but...
(click to show/hide)

richierich

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 04:13:04 PM »
After viewing the pilot of Damages I would currently be agreeing with Jon, I was very impressed with the whole structure and suspense developed.
However, as Matthias switched off after 4 episodes, perhaps my current passion for the show may wane if it deteriorates through the series.