Author Topic: My PILOT Marathon  (Read 35054 times)

richierich

Re: My PILOT Marathon
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2009, 12:39:23 PM »
Gavin & Stacey - Series One

Episode One
Meet Gavin And Stacey. They've spoken on the phone for six months but never actually met until Stacey travels from Wales to London to meet Gavin. Gavin turns up with Smithy who is skeptical about the whole thing and Stacey's mate Nessa who couldn't care either way, to be honest, and is more concerned about a night out.

Gavin is an ordinary boy from Essex, Stacey is an ordinary girl from Barry, South Wales. Although they've spoken on the phone every day at work for months, they've never actually met... until now. But when Gavin and Stacey finally meet and their ordinary worlds collide, we see, through their friends, their family and their differences, that there's no such thing as ordinary after all.
Gavin and Stacey is the hit BBC show starring Alison Steadman, Rob Brydon, Larry Lamb, Joanna Page, Mathew Horne, Melanie Walters, James Corden and Ruth Jones.

A brilliant comedy show I am no stranger to, having watched haphazard series one episodes on TV.
Having watched the 1st pilot episode, I immediately watched the next 2, that is how good this is.
Everything about this just gets it right. The writing is fresh, original and damnright hilarious. The actors have been chosen perfectly, and no doubt scripts written to enhance the characters they portray so wonderfully. You (in UK) can relate to so many of the characters, I used to have a m8 just like Smithy in every way, and know many couples like Gavs parents!
It is the type of show that you talk about the next day, talking about the funniest instances and some really classic lines, especially from Ruth Jones. It leaves a smile on your face, and no higher compliment to a comedy can be paid.
I hope this works for other countries, would love to hear if other nationalities 'get this' comedy style.
Highly, highly recommended.
 :thumbup:

As a taster, one-off charity special sketch of Smithy with England football team 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:03:06 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2009, 08:32:12 PM »
Ghost Whisperer: The Complete First Season

Pilot
Melinda Gordon just got married. During the wedding she sees something being drawn on the window and she knows it's a ghost. But for the first time, the ghost comes inside her house and that unsettles her. Despite being afraid, she tries to help him reunite with his family and pass along the message he needs her to say.

Melinda Gordon (Jennifer Love Hewitt) is a young newlywed with the unique gift to communicate with spirits of people who have died - a talent that was inherited from her grandmother.
The dead seek out Melinda's ability to help them relay significant messages and information to the living. Despite her fear, compassion compels her to help these earthbound spirits cross over by completing their unfinished business with the living.

A series that makes even a skeptic like myself think about the possibility of spirits etc. Tastefully written with a nice blend of reality and fantasy, this pilot was a good introduction to a popular series, with a solid and dependable cast. There are no real scary moments in the whole series, more focus is given to each story and the human side of it, and little is spent on any special effects.
As a criticism the series is rather slow paced, and there is a distinct lack of twists or subplots. But for easy viewing and general entertainment you can't go far wrong.
 :D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:40:58 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2009, 08:44:21 PM »
Happy Days - Season 1

All The Way
Potsie sets Richie up with a girl known to have a reputation. Richie doesn't get far with her but leads Fonzie and others to believe he did.

Poodle skirts... jukeboxes... cars with soaring tail fins... and rockin' and rollin' all week long.
Those Happy Days are here again! Join one of America's best-loved TV families - the Cunninghams - in the premiere season of this top-rated television series. Richie Cunningham (Ron Howard), "Potsie" Weber (Anson Williams), Ralph Malph (Donny Most) and "The Fonz" (Henry Winkler) head a brilliant comedic cast in this nostalgic, smash-hit TV sitcom. Arnold's Drive-In is their local hangout and meeting place, and lots of hilarious, memorable and classic adventures are the result.

Nostalgic look back to a series every kid used to watch after school. Pilot works as an introduction to the whole cast, with Richies brother in evidence although I had forgotten he was actually ever in it. Also couldn't remember at the time all the annoying canned laughter, it must have just gone past without my noticing in my innocent teenage years!
Joanie is still just a little kid, and part of the gang is Chuck, another cast member I had totally fogotten about. The Fonz is not one of the leads at this stage, and there are less laughs than I remember from later series.
Not sure what happened to the likes of Potsie and Ralph after Happy Days, they don't show up in any more of my collection, and of course success came tumbling in for Ron Howard and in a smaller scale Henry Winkler.
True escapism.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:52:21 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2009, 09:00:01 PM »
The Riches

Pilot
Through a set of unusual circumstances, the Malloy family assumes the identities of a wealthy family, the Riches, only to find that a glamorous life entails more than they expected.

The Riches stars Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver as Wayne and Dahlia Malloy, a married couple with a family. Wayne and Dahlia spent their youth pulling cons with a traveling band of modern Irish gypsies roaming about the US. Now years later, Wayne hits a spiritual and midlife crisis and begins to question their lifestyle just as his wife, newly sprung from prison, rejoins the family. They decide to finally settle down in suburbia where they battle to live a normal life while trying to escape their former friends.

Eddie Izzard playing serious roles works for me, but hell his accent was not quite right!
Interesting and original, a series bought blindly but one that promises plenty from an entertaining pilot episode. I can think of several ways this storyline could go, so am keen to watch more already.
Minnie Driver was superb and convincing, and seemed to grow into the role in less than an hour, as good as I have ever seen her acting. The supporting cast all add something to the overall success of this first episode, and the whole feel was positive.
I look forward to diving in to further episodes.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:40:25 PM by Rich »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2009, 10:03:35 PM »
Ghost Whisperer: The Complete First Season

Definitely one of my favorite series!  :thumbup:
Pete

richierich

« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2009, 11:51:42 PM »
Sugar Rush

Pilot
Meet 15-year-old Kim, who has an earth-shattering, hormone-surging crush on her new best friend, Sugar. Sugar is a bad girl. She's wild, sexy and exciting, and meeting her has turned Kim's world upside down. Kim and family have just moved to sunny Brighton

SUGAR RUSH is an end of the pier roller-coaster ride; it is an unpredictable journey into the mind of a screwed up, loved up, lustful adolescent. For Kim, everything sucks, everything is a cliché. What hope is there when you have mini freak for a brother, an obsessively house-proud Dad and a Mum who seems to have forgotten them all and is behaving as if she's the one who's 15 years old. Cue Sugar, who will change Kim's life beyond recognition.
Kim has a hormone surging, life changing crush on Sugar, otherwise known as Maria Sweet - the kind of girl who rules the world until she's 17, then ends up pushing a pram around the block. But to Kim she's the all encompassing, passionate experience that until now she has only dreamed of.

Disjointed and fairly uninspiring pilot, a bit like a lesbian Adrian Mole episode.
It is tastefully written, and you can't help but sympathise for the character Kim. I imagine it will develop into a 'will they/wont they' storyline, based on early signs in this opener. Kims mother certainly was a will they, as she found a new job for the families handyman over the kitchen table!
There is no great exposé of flesh or sex, it is more a love story, confused sexuality, unrequitted passion and innocent discovery of 2 adolescent girls.
Not sure whether this is one to recommend (unless you doing a lesbian marathon) will probably get back to the series in the future to learn how it develops.
 :-\

richierich

« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2009, 12:17:12 AM »
CSI: Miami: The Complete First Season

Pilot: Cross-Jurisdictions
When a member of law enforcement is brutally murdered in an execution style at his home after a wild party – & his wife & child vanish – the Vegas CSI team up with their counterparts in Miami.

STEP OUT OF THE SUNLIGHT AND A DARKER WORLD EMERGES.
Like their CSI counterparts in Las Vegas, the CSI: Miami team, headed by lead  criminologist Horatio Caine (David Caruso), tackles the fascinating, compelling approach to  crime known as forensic science. Behind the sun, surf and palm trees lurks a captivating,  25-episode premiere season of spellbinding mysteries and baffling clues - all captured on  DVD in this seven-disc collection of CSI: Miami - The Complete First Season.

Disappointing pilot, too much glitz and glamour to the expense of suspense or reality. David Caruso is one of my least favourite actors, and his presence would always make me feel negative to the show.
My daughter is hooked on all the CSI variations, but personally I find nothing in the few episodes I've seen and this particular pilot to draw me back with any enthusiasm. Everything seems all too easy, and convenient, and everyone so pretty and well dressed, that I can't buy in to it.
 :yawn:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 12:24:21 AM by Rich »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2009, 12:24:41 AM »
CSI: Miami: The Complete First Season

Pilot: Cross-Jurisdictions
When a member of law enforcement is brutally murdered in an execution style at his home after a wild party – & his wife & child vanish – the Vegas CSI team up with their counterparts in Miami.

STEP OUT OF THE SUNLIGHT AND A DARKER WORLD EMERGES.
Like their CSI counterparts in Las Vegas, the CSI: Miami team, headed by lead  criminologist Horatio Caine (David Caruso), tackles the fascinating, compelling approach to  crime known as forensic science. Behind the sun, surf and palm trees lurks a captivating,  25-episode premiere season of spellbinding mysteries and baffling clues - all captured on  DVD in this seven-disc collection of CSI: Miami - The Complete First Season.

I watched this episode recently as part of the season 2 set of the original CSI series. It wasn't bad... but I never cared much for David Caruso for some reason.
Pete

richierich

« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2009, 12:29:52 AM »
Danger UXB

Dead Man's Shoes
Newly-promoted Second Lieutentant Brian Ash joins his new regiment only to find that they are assigned to bomb disposal in London. Ash is thrown in at the deep end when he and his men are sent to a bomb site.

When a young Royal Engineer Officer is killed trying to defuse a bomb, he is replaced by raw officer recruit Brian Ash. Ash is shocked to discover that his new unit, the 97th Tunnelling Company, is in fact a hastily formed bomb disposal squad. With the Blitz devastating London every night and making massive demands on Royal Engineers' manpower, he is to take command of 347 Section forthwith. It's not long before he's facing the real thing at close range, with his men looking on from a safe distance, making bets as to whether he'll go the same way as his predecessor...

An enthralling series we never missed on its original showing on TV, and having rewatched its original episode, glad to say the tension, depth of character, and superb writing (upstairs,downstairs creator) have not dated negatively. In fact if you excuse the opening titles and credit rolls it is hard to believe it is 30 years old.
I realise better now it is also historically accurate for this WW2 era, the backdrops are realistic, and the storylines genuinely factual. The acting is spot on, very in-depth and interesting characters from all ranks, and the background storylines behind the bomb disposals are interesting.
Not sure who blindly would get into the series, possibly those interested in history or WW2, or those interested in more modern period costume dramas? For me it is a bit of all of the above, and my nostalgic return to a childhood favourite.
 ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 10:35:42 AM by Rich »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2009, 06:24:46 AM »
I watched this episode recently as part of the season 2 set of the original CSI series. It wasn't bad... but I never cared much for David Caruso for some reason.

I could tell you why.....

(*puts sunglasses on*) but I think you already know.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2009, 07:11:39 AM »
David Caruso is one of my least favourite actors, and his presence would always make me feel negative to the show.
I like him in First Blood and in
(click to show/hide)

richierich

« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2009, 10:39:46 AM »
Mad About You - Season 1

Pilot - Romantic Improvisations
Paul and Jamie Buchman are newlywed adjusting to life together in Manhattan. When only after 5 months of marriage Jamie complains that their sexual life is not like it used to be, Paul decides to come earlier from his job so they could spend a nice evening alone. But, their scheduled evening goes awry as each assumes the other had cancelled their dinner plans with friends.

Get ready for romance and hilarious bickering in the Big Apple. Join Jamie and Paul Buchman (Academy Award® winner* Helen Hunt and Paul Reiser) as they navigate marriage in this 6-time Emmy Award-winning series.

Bizarre pilot and totally unexpected, as it seemed to revolve around sex, or rather the lack of it, between this newly wed couple. For the 2nd night running a couple end up humping on the kitchen table -
(click to show/hide)
All pretty tasteless and cheap humour, I had expected a lot more for a show that run for 7 series, and starring Helen Hunt. Maybe they used sex as a lure to attract viewers in this initial episode?
Not very cleverly written, very untaxing, hollow characters, and a one-tracked theme, this pilot does not encourage me to watch more.
 :yawn:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 10:56:06 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2009, 11:02:26 AM »
Tales of the Unexpected

Man from the South
A young American sailor on shore-leave in the West Indies is tempted by a crazy bet. To win a new Cadillac, all he needs to do is to make his cigarette-lighter light ten times without any failures. In return, he has to stake one of his fingers. But what is the truth about Carlos, the high-rolling old man who has proposed the bet?

First transmitted on ITV in 1979, its iconic title sequence and haunting theme tune (from prolific TV composer Ron Grainer) ensured that Roald Dahl's 'Tales of the Unexpected' was memorable viewing. With each stand-alone episode featuring guest stars such as Oscar winners Sir John Gielgud ('Arthur', 'Becket') and José Ferrer ('Cyrano de Bergerac'), Joan Collins ('Dynasty'), Peter Bowles ('Rumpole of the Bailey') and Brian Blessed ('Flash Gordon'), the tales all have a twist to entertain and, more often than not, shock the viewer. Sometimes gory, but always surprising.

Like sleeping with an old girlfriend, it is never as good as you remember and disappointment follows. Similarly, with this series being at the time a 'must-watch' programme, rewatching the pilot made me realise how things have moved on, and this felt extremely dated.
With an uncomortable introduction from a creepy Dahl, what follows is the superb haunting and familiar opening music, but the actual pilot episode is uninspiring and very predictable. Production values are low, and the actors appear like they are reading from cue cards.
Patience with the series will reward a viewer with some true gems, but you must have patience to sift through some aged dross.
 :-\
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 01:11:23 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2009, 01:21:22 PM »
Fringe

Pilot
When all the passengers and crew on Flight 627 Hamburg-to-Boston die in a hideous manner, FBI agent Olivia Dunham investigates the event. While following up a lead, her partner and lover, John Scott, undergoes life-threatening chemical contamination. A desperate Olivia looks for help and finds Dr. Walter Bishop, who cannot help her because he has been institutionalized. The only way to even question him is with the help of his son Peter.
Olivia continues her investigations and goes to Nina Sharp, a manipulative executive. Olivia, Peter and Dr. Bishop begin to discover what really happened on Flight 627 and start to uncover a larger truth.

A television drama centered around a female FBI agent who is forced to work with an institutionalized scientist in order to rationalize a brewing storm of unexplained phenomena.

The first part of this pilot is incredibly interesting and promised a great deal. A bit of x-files with more focus on the investigation, the characters were optimistically well thought out, and the pace gripping. I felt it lost its way in the middle as the storyline floundered, with a bit too much focus on introduction of the leads and providing backdrop to the series, but it picked up well with a good and surprising finish.
A definate series to revisit before year-end, this is good viewing for all.

richierich

« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2009, 01:28:49 PM »
Ever Decreasing Circles: The Complete First Series

Episode 1
Martin lives in a cul-de-sac and is a pillar of the community. He is chairman of just about every club committee. The equilibrium of the Close where he lives is disturbed when new neighbour Paul moves in next door...

Wonderful to see this pilot episode of a great series from the 80's, and to see the marvellous Richard Briars in a perfect role. The whole cast are accomplished actors, particularly Penelope Wilton as Briars' long suffering and neglected wife.
With top scripts, embarrassing scenarios, this rates as one of the best Suburban series produced and very undated.
Easy vierwing, to leave a smile on your face.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 11:36:32 PM by Rich »