Author Topic: My PILOT Marathon  (Read 35158 times)

richierich

Re: My PILOT Marathon
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 11:54:13 AM »
HEX - SERIES ONE - PILOT - THE STORY BEGINS

First aired: 10/17/2004
The shadow of the past is about to wreak havoc on a remote English school. Cassie`s legacy will stay silent no longer. The time has come to face her destiny. The time has come to make a choice: join the forces that claim her as their own, or find a way to fight them.
From the creators of As If comes a thrilling new series. Hex is a spine chilling journey into one girl`s experience of the supernatural. Cassie (Christina Cole, He Knew He Was Right) longs to be popular, but is only truly loved by her best friend, Thelma (Jemima Rooper, As If). But Cassie soon discovers her new powers come at a price: the thrill is too seductive, each hit drawing her deeper into a world beyond her control. And when the man she should fear most finds a way to her heart, it can only end in tragedy.

In Britains answer to Buffy, I found little potential and was left feeling disappointed after viewing the overly long pilot.
Tired old script, poor supporting cast, mediocre pace and a crap soundtrack.
I was bored watching this, and have little enthusiasm in returning to the series at any point.

richierich

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2008, 03:32:17 PM »
SOPRANOS - SERIES ONE - PILOT

First Aired: Sunday January 10, 1999 
Tony Soprano, a Capo in the Jersey mafia, begins seeing a therapist because he is stricken by panic attacks. During his session, Dr. Melfi learns of his two conflicted families. Tony is stressed by his unhappy wife, rebellious kids and his demanding mother. On the business side, Tony feels pressure from his willful nephew, while also engaging in a power struggle with his Uncle Junior.

I knew a bit about the series having watched later episodes and reading about the programme to know that I would like it.
Having now watched the pilot it is really up my street.  :yu:
As a pilot it isn't the greatest, but it does an excellent job of mapping out the storyline, characters and direction of the series. I love the duplicity of the main character Tony Soprano - his Mafia work side and as father and husband to his family. For future watching I truly hope they pursue more the adventure action and comedy of his mafia side as opposed to the complications of his family, which would become tiresome in time having to watch.

richierich

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008, 03:46:59 PM »
MIRACLES - COMPLETE SERIES - THE FERGUSON SYNDROME

Premiered: January 27, 2003   
Paul Callan works as an investigator of miracles for the Archdiocese of Boston. Growing weary of his job and the tests it places on his faith, he takes a leave of absence and travels to Arizona to work on an Indian Reservation. While there, Father Calero calls him and asks him to investigate a young boy, Tommy Ferguson, who supposedly has the power to heal others. Skeptical at first, Paul meets with Tommy and witnesses his abilities. He discovers that the young boy is dying, and that every time he heals another, his own health deteriorates. He also learns that his path and Tommy's are somehow inexorably linked. When Paul is in a potentially fatal car crash, Tommy uses his power for the last time, and gives his own life to save Paul. As Tommy heals him, Paul sees the words, "God Is Now Here" written in his own blood. His faith renewed, Paul returns to the church but the Monsignor dismisses his findings, causing him to resign. Paul is then approached by a stranger named Alva Keel who tells him that he is not alone in his experience. There have been 6 others who witnessed hemography, but they instead saw the words, "God is Nowhere." Keel urges Paul come to work with him at Sodalitas Quaerito, an organization devoted to searching for the truth.

Hmmmm, not sure what to make of this yet, it was rather flimsy and extremely far-fetched, but had a certain appeal that made you want to see some more. It was an average beginning to a series I believe was canned within a year. Very little is revealed about Alva's secret organisation, and both his and the Paul Callan character appear to have good potential.
Not a classic, but nor is it a duffer. Average!

richierich

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2008, 04:02:29 PM »
ROSWELL - SEASON ONE - PILOT

Premiered: October 6, 1999
Liz Parker learns Max Evans' out-of-this-world secret when he saves her life, and he must now rely on her to safeguard his secret as an orphaned extraterrestrial.   

American slop, and the worst export of it's kind. After watching some great Hollywood pilots, this bought me back to earth with a bump, truly dreadful in all regards. Ridiculous storyline, possibly the worst wooden lead actor I've ever seen (in this role anyway), horrendous and brain numbingly dull characters!
3 'aliens' drop down from space, imitate humans, fall in love with beautiful college girl, save her life with his healing hands after being shot,  - PLEASE!!!  :axed:
Ebay here we come

richierich

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008, 04:16:22 PM »
THE CLOSER - SEASON ONE - THE PILOT

Premiered: June 13, 2005
Series Premiere. A seemingly routine murder investigation by the LAPD Robbery-Homicide Division is interrupted by the arrival of Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson, the new head of the LAPD’s Priority Murder Squad. An outsider from Atlanta in her first week of service, Brenda has already begun to face the resistance of long-time high-ranking officers, particularly Capt. Taylor of Robbery Homicide, as well as the questionable confidence of her own squad, who have decided to request transfers en masse. Only her assistant, Sgt. Gabriel, seems willing to try to work with her.
Determined to show them what she is capable bringing to the Squad, Brenda embarks on the investigation undeterred. Her victim is a woman killed in the home of technology genius with the secret to a multi-million dollar piece of software, found by his quiet, religious assistant. Drawing on the skills of her officers, particularly Lt. Tao’s forensic and technological talents, Brenda soon discovers her victim may be more than meets the eye. But when a former flame, Agent Fritz Howard of the FBI lends a hand, both her investigation and her private life take unexpected turns, leading her to a startling conclusion to the case. In the end she proves to the Squad she is, as billed, a closer

From the truly awful depths of Roswell, the next pilot is the exact opposite and is totally sublime.
I am now officially in love with Kyra Sedgwick (I think she is Kevin Bacons wife?). What a great performance she gives, absolutely perfect for the role as the new unpopular deputy chief from the South, and in a braless vest  :drooling: :drooling:
Firstly the writing is really good, great flow, hidden depths, surprises and character depth. The support cast appears strong with great dynamics, JK Simmons as father figure is perfect, and the 'office politics' will be good to run alongside each investigation.
I never guessed the ending, did anyone else?
Great start and full of potential, this is at top of 'to view' pile now. I would liken it to a good mix of Prime Suspect and Law & Order

richierich

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 10:37:39 AM »
RAY MEARS WILD FOOD - SERIES 1 - EPISODE 1 AUSTRALIA

Australia: Ray travels to the other side of the planet to hear from Australian Aboriginals about what food means to a hunter-gatherer and the role it plays in their culture as well as their society.

I fancied a change from the typical fare, so dipped into a couple of documentary series around cooking/nature. Not sure what it is about survival programmes and how to live off the land, but with Ray Mears the series are always fascinating and enlightening. This original episode from Wild Food is no exception, and was totally absorbing, following the traditional methods of Australian Aboriginees and their diets and hunting/gathering in the wild.

richierich

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2008, 10:45:51 AM »
JAMIE AT HOME - THE COMPLETE SERIES 1 - TOMATOES!

Over the last few years Jamie has been spending most of his spare time at home, growing things in his garden and becoming totally inspired to cook with all his own produce. Good food starts with good ingredients and what could be more exciting than cooking something you`ve grown yourself?
This brand new DVD includes all 12 episodes from the series. From potatoes and tomatoes to pumpkin and game, in each episode Jamie make sone ingredient the hero of the show. And if you fancy getting your hands dirty in the garden, there`s some basic planting information and tips that he learnt along the way too.
Full of sunshine, some (occasionally heavy!) showers, and lots of laughter, Jamie At Home sees Jamie where he loves to be, surrounded by good food and full of inspiration for cooking up a whole load of simple, delicious, seasonal and no-nonsense recipes.

Although I am not a great fan of Jamie Oliver personally, I do appreciate his style of no fuss cooking, outdoor barbequing, and the use of fresh local ingredients. Why are cooking programmes like this so popular?, I have no idea but will admit to being an avid follower. This original episode (and at least the next 3 which I also watched) are great viewing leading into summer and I will try several of the recipes and especially the barbequed salmon  :drooling:
Good viewing if you like that sort of thing.

richierich

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2008, 11:01:32 AM »
AT HOME WITH THE BRAITHWAITES - FIRST SERIES - EPISODE 1

First aired: 20/1/2000
It's Alison Braithwaite's 40th birthday and her youngest daughter, Charlotte, gives her a ticket for the first ever Euro-lottery. Alison wins the jackpot: £38 million! She decides she wants to do something worthwhile with the money. She asks accountant, Pauline, and old friend, Marion, to help her set up a charity. Alison says she will tell her family about the win. She's just not ready to tell them yet.

This has sat on my shelf forever after being purchased for one of my kids viewing, and I never gave it a 2nd glance. On watching the pilot of the series I was pleasantly surprised, a truly original, funny and compelling episode which bodes well for a great comedy series.
Extremely fast-paced direction following this complicated but very believable genuine family, sharp dialogue and a set of main characters blend to create an addictive formula. All of the actors give great opening performances, and Amanda Redman (who I have never rated) is perfectly suited to the role as Alison and you instantly feel an affinity for her circumstances and role in the family.
Recommended as you can pick this up fairly cheaply now.

richierich

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2008, 11:17:22 AM »
WITHOUT A TRACE - SEASON ONE - PILOT

First aired: 9/26/2002   
Missing Persons Squad have to solve the case of a 28-year-old female marketing executive who appears to have simply walked away from every thing in her life, having left everything of hers behind. She was last seen by her doorman on the night that she vanished, her apartment appears to be intact with even her purse and cell phone left behind in her apartment. Her parents and co-workers reveal that she is a hard worker, and that she is a loner and had just been dumped by a married co-worker with whom she had an affair. A security tape from her apartment building shows her walking away into the night. Jack fears that she is lost forever until a ransom note appears on her mother's email list demanding a million dollars for her safe return.

As a pilot it appeared somewhat like a grope in the dark as actors felt their way into unfamiliar character roles, but their were signs to show encouragement for future improvement & development. I had hoped for a better pilot considering this series ran for some time, I can only imagine it will improve. The characters were concise and showed initial signs of good chemistry together, although Poppy Montgomery is just not right for this show.
This initial episode lacked punch, the investigation was not particular 'huge' for a pilot, but their were encouraging signs in there for the series.

Najemikon

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2008, 08:59:39 PM »
SOPRANOS - SERIES ONE - PILOTI love the duplicity of the main character Tony Soprano - his Mafia work side and as father and husband to his family. For future watching I truly hope they pursue more the adventure action and comedy of his mafia side as opposed to the complications of his family, which would become tiresome in time having to watch.

Be prepared for tiresome! :tease: Not really. I think you would come to appreciate the balance as the family complications fuel the other side and vice versa.

I loved The Sopranos. I thought season three was a little weak and the whole run had its fair share of rough patches, but overall, it was damn good. There is always a fine balance between the mafia activities and the family life and an episode without one is very rare (although possibly my favourite is about Pauly and Christopher dealing with an indestructible Russian. Not much in the way of family there!).

Tony Soprano I think is one of TVs best ever characters. Over time, you become more aware of his self-destructive and pass the blame nature. He is a real monster.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:01:10 PM by Jon »

RossRoy

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2008, 09:09:10 PM »
I loved The Sopranos. I thought season three was a little weak and the whole run had its fair share of rough patches, but overall, it was damn good.

I've always wanted to buy The Sopranos. Only problem is, as opposed to most of the other TV series I buy, people around me will also want to see it (parents, siblings, etc.) and they prefer watching dubbed version (I watch the original english, of course). Thing is, every time there is a special on these, or a complete set bundle, some season will have the french dub, others the spanish dub. This is really annoying! I hope they will release a box set with all the seasons in a single box, which will include the french dub. Because as it is, all I can find are packages with the individual seasons shrinkwrapped together.  :thumbdown:

PLEASE!!!  :axed:
Ebay here we come

You're wrong! :tease:

I happen to love the show. Yes, sometimes it's ridiculous, but I still like it. It also suffers from the teenage drama syndrome, especially in season 1. But it gets better.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2008, 02:00:57 AM »
ROSWELL - SEASON ONE - PILOT
... possibly the worst wooden lead actor I've ever seen (in this role anyway) ...

So you haven't seen Smallville yet?
Matthias

richierich

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2008, 11:40:30 AM »
DAY BREAK - THE COMPLETE SERIES - PILOT

First aired: 11/15/2006   
When Detective Brett Hopper woke up this morning, he thought it was a normal day, a day like any other one, but he rapidly find out that he is accused of killing Assistant District Attorney Alberto Garza. Even after offering a solid alibi, no one is believing him. The next morning, when he wakes up, he finds out that he is reliving the same day and that his loved ones are in danger

Dejá-vú plot yet again, but with a convincing cast and alluring storyline. Nice mystery suspense with solid action, and many questions posed by the pilot, it has the 'must watch more' factor. I was particularly impressed with Taye Diggs as the lead playing Brett, will have to look up his resumé.
Overall a great pilot, occasional dull period made up for by convincing action. I haven't checked but assume this was only one season, but so far it looks good.

richierich

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2008, 11:50:40 AM »
THE WIRE - SERIES ONE - THE TARGET

First aired: 6/2/2002    
During the trial of D'Angelo Barksdale, a mid-level dealer accused of murder, the prosecution's star witness recants her testimony, resulting in a not guilty verdict. After the trial, Detective James "Jimmy" McNulty explains to Judge Phelan how he suspects the Barksdale crew for a slew of related murders. When the judge contacts McNulty's superiors about this revelation, McNulty is taken to task for his indiscretion. Meanwhile, D'Angelo is free to return to work, but he soon discovers that he's been demoted.

For such a long running series, my expectations were high on the quality of this pilot. Sadly I found it totally lame and very disappointing in all areas.
Tired old story with tired clichéd structure revolving around a 'cool' US detective. The acting was unconvincing, at times I am sure they were reading from autocue cards. Unless I am mistaken, real-life is not like this in the States. Was this a political statement with a 90% dominated black cast?
I can't answer those questions, but I can say i really did not like this at all, and was left wondering how the show ever got such high plaudits - one must assume it improves dramatically after the pilot?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:55:46 AM by Rich »

Najemikon

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2008, 11:54:03 AM »
I never saw it, but I heard all sorts of good things about Day Break... until about halfway through the run where the concept couldn't escape the monotony of repeating the same day. I'd be interested to hear what you think as it plays out because it always intrigued me, but I never wanted to commit to something that was basically the same episode every week! :laugh:

That's the first bad mark I've heard against The Wire, widely referred to as best-thing-ever. I tried to watch the pilot, but missed the start. Despite being anti-hype to a fault, I did like what I saw and am looking forward to seeing it properly.