Author Topic: March Movie Marathon: Movie Versions of TV Series  (Read 6501 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
March Movie Marathon: Movie Versions of TV Series
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:07:04 AM »
March Movie Marathon:
Movie Versions of TV Series
This month I plan on watching some of my theatrical films based on TV series. So I will not be including reunion films or continuations to the actual series. Though I will include sequels to the films (i.e. 21 Jump Street & 22 Jump Street). I will be watching mostly from my DVD and Blu-ray collection... but will also allow films I have on Vudu and find on Netflix or Amazon Prime.
Films from My Collection:
Films in Bold I never seen:
21 Jump Street
22 Jump Street
A-Team
Addams Family
Addams Family Values
Æon Flux
Bewitched
The Brady Bunch Movie
A Very Brady Sequel
The Brady Bunch in the Whitehouse
Charlie's Angels
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle
Dark Shadows
The Dukes of Hazzard
The Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning
The Flintstones
The Fugitive
G. I. Joe: Rise of Cobra
G. I. Joe: Retaliation
Get Smart
I Spy
Land of the Lost
Masters of the Universe
Maverick
Miami Vice
Mission Impossible
Mission Impossible 2
Mission Impossible 3
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
My Favorite Martian
S.W.A.T.
Scooby Doo
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Star Trek IV: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek: Generations
Star Trek: Insurrection
Star Trek: Nemesis
Star Trek
Star Trek Beyond
Star Trek Into the Darkness
Starsky and Hutch
Transformers
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Transformers: Age of Extinction
Twilight Zone: The Movie
Underdog
Yogi Bear
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:53:47 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: March Movie Marathon: Movie Versions of TV Series
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 05:38:12 AM »
If you have never seen the 4th and 5th Mission: Impossible movies, I recommend those to be watched this month.

How come you watched Star Trek Beyond but not Star Trek Into Darkness? I mean sure, you made the better choice there (Beyond is much better than Darkness), but it's weird to see part 3 before 2...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 10:52:52 PM »
I just mistakenly highlighted the wrong one when I added the bold. I have not seen Star Trek Beyond.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 10:55:16 PM »
     Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Prologue & Segment 1John Landis, Segment 2Steven Spielberg, Segment 3Joe Dante, Segment 4George Miller (1945)
Writing:Rod Serling (Original Material By), Prologue & Segment 1John Landis (Writer), Segment 2George Clayton Johnson (Screenwriter), Richard Matheson (Screenwriter), Josh Rogan (Screenwriter), George Clayton Johnson (Story By), Segment 3Richard Matheson (Screenwriter), Jerome Bixby (Original Material By), Segment 4Richard Matheson (Screenwriter), Richard Matheson (Original Material By)
Length:101 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:Chinese, English, Portuguese

Stars:
Dan Aykroyd as Passenger
Albert Brooks as Driver
Vic Morrow as Bill

Plot:
1959. Friday nights. We time-traveled. Witnessed surprising twists. Entertained aliens. Experienced fear. And first journeyed to The Twilight Zone of Rod Serling's memorable TV series. And guided by four imaginative moviemakers, we traveled there again in 1983. Directors John Landis, Steven Spielberg, Joe Dante, and George Miller fashion stories based on or inspired by classic episodes. Landis weaves the tale of a bigot who gets a walloping dose of his own hatred. Spielberg takes over with a fable of senior citizens offered a magical rejuvenation. Dante serves up a terror trip with a child who uses his cartoon-inspired powers to enslave his family. Then fright goes aloft with Miller's finale about a neurotic passenger who sees a monster on the jetliner's wing. Or does he?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

This is one of my old favorites. One of the first anthology horrors I ever seen. I always loved how this movie started. The prologue is a lot of fun. But I never cared much for the actual first segment of the movie. The one with the bigot finding out what it is like to be like the people he hates so much. It is a good idea for a story... and I wouldn't go so far to say it is a bad segment. It just seemed to not keep my attention as well as the rest of the movie.

The second story is more of a fun story. Where with the help of a new resident the people in the retirement home become young again while playing outside one night. And they need to decide if they want to stay young or be old once again. Not the greatest story either... but I enjoyed it more then the first one.

In the third segment I enjoyed quite a bit. We meet a boy that can do anything he can imagine. Of course this is from a famous episode of the series. I am still not that familiar with the series and think that all the segments are from episodes of the series. But I must admit I like the way the episode was done more then the segment in this movie. As the movie made it too cartoon-ish.

The final segment is my favorite one in the movie. A man afraid of flying is up in a plane where he sees a gremlin out on the wing tearing up the plane. It is this segment that really made this movie for me. It pushes the movie to the next rating level for me personally.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 04:27:38 AM »
     Underdog (2007/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Frederik Du Chau
Writing:Adam Rifkin (Screenwriter), Joe Piscatella (Screenwriter), Craig A. Williams (Screenwriter), Joe Piscatella (Writer), Craig A. Williams (Writer), Adam Rifkin (Writer)
Length:82 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: PCM: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Jason Lee (1970) as Voice of Underdog (Voice)
Peter Dinklage as Dr. Simon Barsinister
James Belushi [Jim Belushi] as Dan Unger
Patrick Warburton as Cad
Alex Neuberger as Jack

Plot:
Disney's Underdog flies home in su0per-powered brilliance on Blu-ray Disc®. After an accident in the mysterious lab of mad scientist Dr. Simon Barsinister, an ordinary beagle finds himself with extraordinary powers...and the ability to talk! Armed with a fetching superhero costume, Underdog vows to protect the beleaguered citizens of Capital City, particularly a beautiful spaniel named Polly Purebred. When a diabolical plot by Barsinister and his overgrown henchman Cad threatens to destroy Capital City, only Underwear...(oops!)...Underdog can save the day. See his spectacular stunts and hear every crime-stopping "crunch–pow–whoosh" in the dazzling dimension of Disney Blu-ray – Magic in High Definition!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Underdog Cartoon

My Thoughts:

While I never liked the series this film is based on... not even as a kid... but I think they did a great job on this film. It is a fun movie for the entire family. One I definitely recommend.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 06:01:06 PM »
     G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra: 2-Disc Edition (2009/United States)
Wikipedia |Trailer |IMDb |
Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Stephen Sommers
Writing:Stuart Beattie (Screenwriter), David Elliot (Screenwriter), Paul Lovett (Screenwriter), Michael B. Gordon (Story By), Stuart Beattie (Story By), Stephen Sommers (Story By)
Length:118 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Heavy Duty
Christopher Eccleston as McCullen/Destro
Gregory Fitoussi as Baron de Cobray
Joseph Gordon-Levitt as The Doctor/Rex
Leo Howard as Young Snake Eyes

Plot:
Prepare for non-stop action and thrilling adventure when you go inside the high-tech world of G.I. Joe in this 2-disc Special Edition.

When a secret weapon is stolen by the mysterious and evil Cobra organization, mankind's only hope is G.I. Joe, an elite covert strike force featuring the best operatives from around the globe. So, suit up and join Duke, Snake Eyes and Ripcord in a race against time to stop Cobra from using their ultimate weapon and plunging the world into chaos. When all else fails... they don't. They are G.I. Joe!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

This is one I enjoyed quite a bit. Lots of action... lots of cool toys. But to be honest I can't really say how well it was done compared to the animated series as it has been way to many years since I seen the series. But I can say I am excited to watch the sequel now.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 06:03:14 PM »
     G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013/United States)
Director:Jon M. Chu
Writing:Rhett Reese (Writer), Paul Wernick (Writer)
Length:110 min.
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 7.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Dwayne Johnson as Roadblock
Jonathan Pryce as President
Byung-Hun Lee as Storm Shadow
Elodie Yung as Jinx
Ray Stevenson as Firefly

Plot:
"The greatest American Heroes are back"* and they've been set up to take the fall for a terrible crime they didn't commit. Now, Roadblock (DWAYNE JOHNSON), Duke (CHANNING TATUM) and the other G.I. Joes must once again face their mortal enemy, Cobra, as well as dangerous new threats operating within the government. When all else fails, one option remains: Retaliation. Roadblock steps up to lead a new team (including BRUCE WILLIS) on this explosive adventure that critics are calling "unlike any action movie you've ever seen. A thrilling ride that leaves you wanting more!"**

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

I found this to be a good continuation. I liked the added characters... though I was saddened to see one of the characters killed off fairly early in the film. And there is some things I wished they would have explained from the first film that they did not. But I found it worth the time to watch... I can see myself watching both films again.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 08:12:00 PM »
     Bewitched: Special Edition (2005/United States)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Nora Ephron
Writing:Sol Saks (Original Characters By), Nora Ephron (Writer), Delia Ephron (Writer)
Length:102 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Trivia

Stars:
Nicole Kidman (1967) as Isabel Bigelow/Samantha
Will Ferrell as Jack Wyatt/Darrin
Shirley MacLaine as Iris Smythson/Endora
Michael Caine (1933) as Nigel Bigelow
Jason Schwartzman as Ritchie

Plot:
Oscar®-winner Nicole Kidman (Best Actress in a leading role, The Hours, 2002) and wickedly funny Will Ferrell star as actors playing Darrin and Samantha on a remake of the television show "Bewitched" in this cleverly crafty comedy from director Nora Ephron (Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail).

Egomaniacal star Jack Wyatt (Ferrell) casts unknown Isabel (Kidman) as his co-star in order to monopolize the limelight and regain his top spot on Hollywood's A-list. When Isabel, a real witch, discovers Jack's self-centered scheme, she conjures a sidesplitting spell the mere mortal will never forget!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Games
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed this one as it is done in a different way then most movie versions of TV shows. I found it to be a fun film and really liked Nicole Kidman in her role. Though I never been a big Will Ferrell fan.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 05:58:10 PM »
     The Dukes of Hazzard: Unrated Widescreen Edition (2005/United States)

Warner Bros. Entertainment, Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Jay Chandrasekhar
Writing:Gy Waldron (Original Characters By), John O'Brien (Screenwriter), John O'Brien (Original Material By), Jonathan L. Davis (Original Material By)
Length:107 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Junior Brown as The Balladeer
Johnny Knoxville as Luke Duke
Seann William Scott as Bo Duke
Alice Greczyn as Laurie Pullman
Steve Lemme as Jimmy

Plot:
With the General Lee tanked up for car-crashin' action and with more laughs than a dog has fleas, this big-screen version of the long-running TV series is big-time fun. Johnny Knoxville, Seann William Scott, Jessica Simpson, Burt Reynolds, Willie, Nelson, and more help keep the pedal to the metal for 100-MPH laughs. Stars, comedy, spills and thrills – The Dukes of Hazzard's got it all, y'all!

And on top of that, this DVD-Exclusive Unrated Version features Outrageous Footage not shown in theatres. These good ol' boys just got better – and you're in for a whole lot more fun!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This one wasn't quite as bad as I remembered it being. There was some good and some bad here. I disliked some of the cast members and felt that it was a bit over-acted. But over all it was worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 06:01:49 PM »
     The Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning: Widescreen: Unrated (2007/United States)

Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Robert Berlinger
Writing:Gy Waldron (Original Characters By), Shane Morris (Writer)
Length:95 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Gary Cole (1956) as Balladeer
Rufus Dorsey as DMV Examiner
Jonathan Bennett as Bo Duke
Randy Wayne as Luke Duke
Joe Gieb as Carnival Midget

Plot:
You never forget the first time! Meet teenagers Bo and Luke Duke (Jonathan Bennett and Randy Wayne), high-spirited troublemakers, new to Hazzard County, paroled to the care of the moonshine-making Uncle Jesse (Willie Nelson). Blowhard Boss Hogg (Christopher McDonald) is already fleecing the citizenry to line his pockets but crosses the line when he sets out to steal the Duke farm. As the feudin', fussin', and fast-trackin' fun revs up, cousin Daisy (April Scott) transforms from country girl to Hazzard hottie and a vehicular legend - the General Lee - is born, along with the boys' skills for outrunning Hogg and his deputies. You're at the starting line of the Duke saga. Let the comedy, spills and thrills pile up at lightning-fast speed!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This one wasn't quite as good as the first one. But I still enjoyed it for what it was. I liked seeing the origin of the General Lee.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 06:06:37 PM »
     The Brady Bunch Movie (1995/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Director:Betty Thomas
Writing:Sherwood Schwartz (Original Characters By), Laurice Elehwany (Writer), Rick Copp (Writer), Bonnie Turner (Writer), Terry Turner (Writer)
Length:88 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Shelley Long as Carol Brady
Gary Cole (1956) as Mike Brady
Christine Taylor as Marcia Brady
Christopher Daniel Barnes as Greg Brady
Jennifer Elise Cox as Jan Brady

Plot:
Mike (Gary Cole) and Carol (Shelley Long) have just one week to come up with $20,000 in back taxes or they'll lose their house to a scheming neighbor (Michael McKean). To make matters worse, Marcia gets a swollen nose on date night, Cindy's addicted to tattling, and Jan's hearing a psychotic inner voice crying "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!"

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Extremely silly and extremely cheesy. But sometimes that is just what you are in the mood for. This one is really more for the fans of the series. If a fan of the series you will appreciate all the nods to the different episode as well as all the cameos from original cast members.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 06:09:58 PM »
     Mission: Impossible (1996/United States)

Director:Brian De Palma
Writing:Bruce Geller (Original Material By), David Koepp (Story By), Steven Zaillian (Story By), David Koepp (Screenwriter), Robert Towne (Screenwriter)
Length:110 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Dale Dye as Frank Barnes
Marcel Iures as Golitsyn
Ion Caramitru as Zozimov
Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt
Jon Voight as Jim Phelps

Plot:
Tom Cruise ignites the screen in this runaway smash hit that "holds you on the edge of your seat before blasting you out of it" (Howard Rosenberg, Los Angeles Times). Cruise stars as Ethan Hunt, a secret agent framed for the deaths of his espionage team. Fleeing from government assassins, breaking into the CIA's most impenetrable vault, clinging to the roof of a speeding bullet train, Hunt races like a burning fuse to stay one step ahead of his pursuers...and draw one step closer to discovering the shocking truth.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery

My Thoughts:

This one I enjoyed quite a bit. Lots of good action and a good story here. I usually don;t care much for Tom Cruise.... but I actually enjoyed him in this one.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 05:36:02 PM »
     A Very Brady Sequel (1996/United States)

Director:Arlene Sanford
Writing:Sherwood Schwartz (Original Characters By), Harry Elfont (Story By), Deborah Kaplan (Story By), Harry Elfont (Screenwriter), Deborah Kaplan (Screenwriter), James Berg (Screenwriter), Stan Zimmerman (Screenwriter)
Length:90 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Christopher Daniel Barnes as Greg Brady
Christine Taylor as Marcia Brady
Paul Sutera as Peter Brady

Plot:
Mike (Gary Cole) is planning a surprise wedding anniversary party for Carol (Shelley Long)—until Carol's long-lost first husband, Roy (Tim Matheson), shows up to shake the family tree. When Roy whisks Carol off to Hawaii, the Bradys take off in pursuit—for fun, sun and the adventure of their lives.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Nothing new here... just more of what you got in the first movie. I did however like how they didn't only cover their series... but also touched on a few other classic tv series as well.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 09:21:32 PM »
     The Brady Bunch in the White House (2002/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |
(United States)
Director:Neal Israel
Writing:Lloyd J. Schwartz (Original Material By), Hope Juber (Original Material By)
Length:89 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Tannis Burnett as Alice
Chad Doreck as Greg Kevin Brady
Autumn Reeser as Marcia Brady

Plot:
Young Bobby Brady finds a winning lottery ticket, which turns out to be worth $67 million! As an example to the rest of the family, MIke (Gary Cole) decides that the only "Brady" thing to do is to return the ticket to its rightful owner. They are rewarded for their honesty with an invitation to visit the unscrupulous President Randolph at the White House.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This is my least favorite of these films. I found this one to be beyond cheesy and found the storyline to be a bit much.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 09:34:35 PM »
     Charlie's Angels (2000/United States, Germany)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:McG
Writing:Ryan Rowe (Writer), Ed Solomon (Writer), John August (Writer), Ivan Goff (Original Material By), Ben Roberts (1916) (Original Material By)
Length:98 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
John Forsythe as Voice of Charlie (Voice)
Cameron Diaz as Natalie
Drew Barrymore (1975) as Dylan
Lucy Liu (1968) as Alex
Bill Murray as Bosley

Plot:
High definition adventure has never been more beautiful than CHARLIE'S ANGELS newly remastered for Blu-ray Disc™! Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu star as the captivating crime-fighting trio who are masters of disguise, espionage and martial arts. When a devious mastermind embroils them in a plot to destroy individual privacy, the Angels are on the spot with their brains, brawn and high-tech toys. Aided by their loyal sidekick Bosley (Bill Murray), the girls use their state-of-the-art skills to kick evil's butt in this sexy, high-octane comedy!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • BD-Live
  • movieIQ+sync

My Thoughts:

This is one I have always enjoyed. Love the cast.. especially the three ladies playing the Angels. It is fun as well as an action packed film. Well worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete