Author Topic: Now they're dumping anything on disc, don't they?  (Read 2027 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Now they're dumping anything on disc, don't they?
« on: February 20, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »
Yesterday I was lazily browsing on Amazon.com and I stumbled across Street Hawk, Manimal, Automan and many more 80s one-season TV shows.

I think they're all burn-on-demand DVDs and they simply opened their entire back catalog for release.

I don't think these releases will have any quality or even bonus material to them.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Now they're dumping anything on disc, don't they?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 03:39:40 PM »
Doesn't Amazon usually indicate if it is a made-on-demand release?
And several of these are from Shout! Factory.  I don't think they do MOD, or do they?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 06:08:04 AM »
I think that is mainly with the Warner Archive Collection, that they point out that they are printed on demand.

According Shouts's website, Manimal has special features, as does Automan and Street Hawk.  Shout has loads of those older TV series in their program already, I think they are just continuing to serve that market they created for themselves. How much effort they put into the transfer should be checked by reading a review.

DVDTalk:
Street Hawk (released 2010)
Manimal (released 2015)
Automan (released 2015)
Spoiler: All of these received 3 stars for the Video.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »
Afaik Universal, Sony, MGM, Fox and VCI also do MOD. I haven't checked if Amazon carry them, or report them as such, though. They're all listed at Oldies.com.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:18:28 AM by GSyren »