Author Topic: Batman: The Complete Television Series  (Read 6592 times)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Batman: The Complete Television Series
« on: March 07, 2015, 12:43:52 PM »
So I started to watch the first few episodes of Batman: The Complete Television Series, and I reacted to two things.

In the very first scene of the first episode, what is the first thing I see? A Swedish flag! Yay! What - Me a patriot?  ;)

But what was more striking was that the show just hit the ground running (or perhaps "hit the air" would be more appropriate). What I mean is that there was no introduction of any kind. No origin story. Presumably the producers felt that at the time the comic was so well established that he show didn't need explanations of the characters or their backstory.

It's been many, many years since I saw this show on TV. It's great fun to see it again. When you compare it to the recent Batman movies it is hard to believe that the same comic was the inspiration for them. As I remember the comics (of that time) they were never as camp as this TV show. And yet again, they were never anywhere near as dark as the Dark Knight movies. But I guess the comics did get darker after the sixties, but by then I had stopped reading them.

I assume that most of the people who buy this set do it for nostalgic reasons. Would this show appeal to today's young audience? Well, preschoolers, perhaps. I'm guessing that today's teenagers would find it way too silly. But for us old fogies who saw it back in it's day it is still great fun.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Batman: The Complete Television Series
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 04:20:07 PM »
I have not seen this during its original run, but remember seeing quite some episodes as a young teenager. I think we found it quite hilarious at the time, recognizing the campy fun even at our young age. I don't think we ever cared about origins, probably not having seen the first episode anyway. The series had no significant (any?) overarching plot anyway. On the other hand, I am not even sure I knew about the comics yet, at that time...

The U.S. set has a hefty price tag at the moment, which is more than what I am willing to give. Maybe once price levels have normalized at some point, I'll add this to my collection.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 10:20:07 PM »
The German boxset is 80 Euro, a lot cheaper than the US set, but without the collectibles. So I guess it depends on how much you want the Batmobile and whatever.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 05:17:26 AM »
No, just the series will be fine, no need for collectibles. I'll have another look, maybe price already came down since I last checked. :hmmmm: