Author Topic: Attention Danae Cassandra... Challenge Accepted!  (Read 8891 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Attention Danae Cassandra... Challenge Accepted!
« on: October 14, 2014, 08:37:12 PM »
The other day at the breakfast table we were talking about horror movies and all... actually forget how we got on the topic but the challenge Jimmy and I did came up. And one way or another Danae Cassandra challenged me that she would watch The Sorority if I watch a musical horror... either Sweeney Todd or what was it.... the title I can never remember... Oh yeah... Rocky Horror Picture Show.

So which one will I have to watch Danae Cassandra, which do you pick... and which of us are going to be tortured more? LOL  :tease:

For those of you that don't remember... here is my review of The Sorority...

OK... you talked me into it... now I need to decide if I forgive you!  :P

The Sorority
A small college town is gripped in terror as coeds are being found burned alive. Carved into their charred remainsare the words "Join or die". The police has no leads, but when a student discovers that the hottest sorority on campus is actually a coven of devil worshipers, she's brutally murdered by the Satanic witches. At the student's graveside her sister vows revenge and sets out to make things right. Hunter becomes the hunted as she fights her way through a maze of Satanic rituals, murder, beheadings, lesbianism and black magic in her quest for vengeance, as all hell breaks loose in the final showdown between good and evil.

My Thoughts:
OMG... what a total and utter waste of time! Naturally after seeing the trailer to this movie the other day online I was not expecting much of anything at all. But in this case I was not expecting anything and still got disappointed! The acting is atrocious... the quality of the effects is laughable... and the DVD itself is pitiful! I got this DVD for free.... And I Feel Cheated!!! I was never so thrilled to see a set of credits roll!

And here is Jimmy's review from our challenge...

Title : The Sorority (2006)

Overview
A small college town is gripped in terror as coeds are being found burned alive. Carved into their charred remainsare the words "Join or die". The police has no leads, but when a student discovers that the hottest sorority on campus is actually a coven of devil worshipers, she's brutally murdered by the Satanic witches. At the student's graveside her sister vows revenge and sets out to make things right. Hunter becomes the hundted as she fights her way througha maze of Satanic rituals, murder, beheadings, lesbianism and black magic in her quest for vengeance, as all hell breaks loose in the final showdown between good and evil.

My Impression
Wow just wow... Even Pete's review haven't prepare me for that. The movie is not start that we already have a problem, Just look the menu

This is not even a dvd, but a self pressed dvd-r and this is filmed not with a digital camera (something that I already hate) but an old vhs camera... Welcome to the eighties...

This movie is lame and pathetic : the acting is bad, the story is full of hole, the fx is cheap looking

just an exemple

The story is set in the lamest school with the lamest students and the lamest sorority ever shown on screen. If this sorority is the best one on the campus the other one look probably like this one :

Sorry, even the cast of Freaks act better than anyone in this movie

This film is 4 hours long, ok it's only 1h40 but it feels longer. The film cut really abruptly after the final fight (nothing exciting there) maybe it's my copy but I really doubt of this. If you want this because of the word "lesbianism" in the overview forget it, the nearer you came from this is a that :

Next time I will trust Pete when he will write that a film is bad. Don't buy this movie don't even accept a free copy of it... if a friend give you this one this is not a friend this person hates you...

Rating :

Number of film watch : 23

Unfortunately none of the pictures from his review exists any more.

Having second thoughts Danae Cassandra?  :hysterical:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Attention Danae Cassandra... Challenge Accepted!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 10:02:59 PM »
Oh, no - I'm totally in if you are.  But choice is a no-brainer.  Rocky Horror is an all-time personal favorite.

I have it on Blu-Ray!

I think you're reprieved from seeing it live.  Which is a shame, because it does lose something.  Closest it's playing is a midnight showing on Halloween in Lexington.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 10:36:44 PM »
Also how can you resist a film with this:

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 10:38:35 PM »
Somehow I thought you would pick that one... and that pic shows exactly how I can resist the film! :P
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 10:40:14 PM »
But Tim Curry is so hot in that costume!
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 12:11:08 AM »
It's just a jump to the left ...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 04:01:55 AM »
I'm sad for you Danae :(

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 04:48:56 AM »
Thanks Jimmy!  I think I'll survive okay.  And hey, Pete also has to watch Rocky Horror!

My friend Katrina once tried to do something similar to me.  She said she would watch Grave of the Fireflies (my #1 film of all time) if I would watch Deuce Bigalow, Male Gigolo.  When I agreed, she backpedaled with "both of them" - to which I responded that if she got two, I got two and we could also watch Au hasard Balthasar.  She has never followed through.

I have greater faith that Pete will follow through though.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 03:46:48 AM »
I've never seen The Sorority....but I read the stuff Pete and Jimmy posted about it.  He may be getting off light with only having to watch Rocky Horror. 
You have to find a way to get him to watch Sweeney Todd someday.   :laugh:

I need to watch Rocky Horror again myself.  I got the Blu-ray a few years ago..Lots of good extras on that one..and the picture is gorgeous. 
Tim Curry is awesome in this movie.  Awesome.

I have heard that Anthony Stewart Head played the part on stage in England years ago.  I would love to have seen that.  I did try to find any videos online and couldn't find any :(  It was before the days when people had smart phones.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 09:22:01 PM »
Oh she made it worse for me... now I have to watch The Sorority with her... she said... "how else will I be sure she watched it"... so now I have to watch The Sorority and Rocky Horror. This is so not working out the way I planned! LOL :P
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 09:23:58 PM »
Sounds logical to me.  You want to make sure she sticks it out.  And she will watch Rocky Horror with you. Make sure you don't accidentally bump the mute button and then misplace the remote. ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 09:55:33 PM »
I said I would watch it.... never said I would listen to it! :D
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 07:49:49 PM »
Sounds logical to me.  You want to make sure she sticks it out.  And she will watch Rocky Horror with you. Make sure you don't accidentally bump the mute button and then misplace the remote. ;)
Logincal, but is it fair...? Pete now suffers twice, she only once...

I find Rocky Horror the infinitely better choice. The music might even be tolerable for Pete...? It's a comedy, so possibly it will be not too bad. The music in Sweeney Todd, however, was grating my nerves through the entire running time.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 02:23:56 AM »
I like them both.  Sweeney Todd is more different, but I still enjoy it. 

Hmm...well that is true too. I guess Pete should have found something that he liked that he thought she would hate.

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 06:07:28 AM »
I'll admit I misunderstood him with 'you watch/I watch' being something we would both watch.  Once he explained it, I told him he wouldn't have to watch The Sorority with me, but he is a good guy and is going to do it anyway ... unless I get him out of it by watching it while he is at work.   :laugh:
-- Thorin Oakenshield