Author Topic: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon  (Read 39220 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon
« on: September 29, 2014, 11:24:47 AM »

WOOHOO! Only 2 more days and it will be that time of the year again! Time for my favorite marathon of the year! My month long horror/Halloween marathon! Normally every year I try to break my current standing record... but that is just not realistic for me to attempt now that I am back to work full time again. Can you believe work will just not allow me to take the full month off  to watch movies? LOL So I have to make a new goal for me this year...

My Goal:
To be honest with you... I don't even know if this goal is realistic as I can't remember the last time I attempted this marathon while working a full time job... but this year my goal is: There is 31 days in October... so I will be attempting to watch at least 31 movies and 31 TV episodes before the end of the month. No goal on shorts though I will track/count these separately if I watch any. Shorts will not count towards the totals of movies of TV episodes.

Wish me luck!... I am going to need it!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:30:29 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:07:22 PM »
First question for this thread (you knew they would come)...

I got the 2014 version of Godzilla recently...

Profiler lists this film as Sci-Fi, Adventure and Horror. While I see the logic... there is a giant monster or two (never actually seen this film yet so please no spoilers!)... should this film really be considered horror?

Basically want to know if this film should be included in this marathon or not... so opinions?
Pete

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 01:49:01 PM »
No "Horror" IMO.
Except if you considered "The Day After Tomorrow" to be horror.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 03:58:40 PM »
Thanks... have it... but haven't watched it so no idea! :P
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 06:18:47 AM »
I would not count this as horror as well. agree with Michael, it's rather a disaster movie...

What is that GIF in your first post from...?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 03:50:16 PM »
Gif is from the Stephen King film... The Night Flier...

Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 03:53:28 PM »
Wouldn't you know it... tomorrow the first day of the marathon... and I am scheduled to work most the day. :P
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 06:34:36 AM »
Thanks. I think that is a great monster, but seeing how it is a Stephen King film I become very hesitant to pursuer this any further... Maybe I can find it as a rental somewhere :hmmmm:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 01:50:01 PM »
I loved it.... but I tend to love most all Stephen King films and miniseries. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 01:59:03 PM »
     The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season: Disc One
IMDb |Trailer/Intro |Wikipedia |
1. Days Gone By
Sheriff's deputy Rick Grimes wakes up in the hospital after having been shot while on duty and discovers that while he was in the hospital, something has happened which causes the bodies of the dead to reanimate and attack the living. The town he lived in is mostly abandoned, with many dead roaming the streets at night. Believing that his wife, Lori, and son, Carl, have most likely fled to safety in nearby Atlanta, he grabs a stock of weapons from the locker of his police station, and sets out to find them.

2. Guts
Due to his gun toting arrival in Atlanta, Rick causes a group of survivors to be trapped by walkers. The group dynamic devolves from accusations to violence, as Rick must confront an enemy that is far more dangerous than the walkers themselves.

3. Tell It to the Frogs
Rick makes a decision to go back to Atlanta to retrieve the bag of guns and save a man's life. Lori and Shane must deal with the surprising return of someone they thought was dead, which was also a surprise to Shane who has been having an affair with Lori.

4. Vatos
Rick's mission to Atlanta is in danger when things go awry. Back at camp, Jim becomes unhinged.

Stars:
Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes
Jon Bernthal as Shane Walsh
Sarah Wayne Callies as Lori Grimes
Laurie Holden as Andrea
Jeffrey DeMunn as Dale

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
I couldn't think of a better way to start my marathon then with this series. I love this show and highly recommend it for any one.... even if you are not a big fan of horror. I think it is safe to say this is the most popular horror series ever. I love the characters, the storyline and all the gore that this show provides. I am having a blast revisiting the first season!

My Rating:

Scorecard:
TV Eps: 4
Movies: 0
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 04:12:48 PM »
     Blood from the Mummy's Tomb: The Hammer Collection: Limited Edition (1971/United Kingdom)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Anchor Bay Entertainment, Studio Canal
Director:Seth Holt
Writing:Christopher Wicking (Screenwriter), Bram Stoker (Original Material By)
Length:93 min.
Rating:PG
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:

Stars:
Andrew Keir as Fuchs
Valerie Leon as Margaret/Tera
James Villiers as Corbeck
Hugh Burden as Dandridge
George Coulouris as Berigan
Mark Edwards as Tod Browning

Plot:
A British expedition team in Egypt discovers the ancient sealed tomb of the evil Queen Tera. But when one of the archeologists steals a mysterious ring from the corpse's severed hand, he unleashes a relentless curse upon his beautiful daughter. Is the voluptuous young woman now a reincarnation of the diabolical sorceress or has the curse of the mummy returned to reveal its horrific revenge?

One of Hammer's most notorious productions, BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB was plagued by the sudden deaths of director Seth Holt and the wife of original star Peter Cushing, leading to rumors of a real-life curse. Andrew Keir (QUATERMASS AND THE PIT) and the luscious Valerie Leon star in this supernatural shocker based on Bram Stoker's classic novel JEWEL OF THE SEVEN STARS.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Radio Spots. 4-Page Booklet.

My Thoughts:
Only the second Hammer film I ever seen...I must say I enjoyed it. Mummy films never been a favorite of mine... but there is some good ones. But this one isn't a traditional mummy movie and it has a very interesting story. Definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:

Scorecard:
TV Eps: 4
Movies: 1
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 09:28:56 PM »

Blood From the Mummy's Tomb
Year of Release: 1971
Directed By: Seth Holt
Starring: Andrew Kier, Valerie Leon, James Villiers, Hugh Burden, George Coulouris
Genre: Horror

Overview:
A British expedition team in Egypt discovers the ancient sealed tomb of the evil Queen Tera. But when one of the archeologists steals a mysterious ring from the corpse's severed hand, he unleashes a relentless curse upon his beautiful daughter. Is the voluptuous young woman now a reincarnation of the diabolical sorceress or has the curse of the mummy returned to reveal its horrific revenge?

One of Hammer's most notorious productions, BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB was plagued by the sudden deaths of director Seth Holt and the wife of original star Peter Cushing, leading to rumors of a real-life curse. Andrew Keir (QUATERMASS AND THE PIT) and the luscious Valerie Leon star in this supernatural shocker based on Bram Stoker's classic novel JEWEL OF THE SEVEN STARS.

My Thoughts:
This is an atmospheric, romantic, Gothic horror style tale that Hammer Films was so well known for.  We have all the elements we need - possession, a powerful magical being whose good or evil is questionable, a beautiful woman with ample cleavage, the concerned boyfriend, the worried father who knows more than he lets on, and the dastardly manipulator who thinks he can control things (and of course, he can't).  The ending is left open.  All of the performances are quite good, though Valerie Leon's Margaret/Tera and James Villiers's Corbeck stand out the most.  While I liked Andrew Keir's portrayal of her father, I can't help but wonder what Peter Cushing (one of my favorite actors) would have done with the role.  If the choices in design (clothes, cars, sets, etc) don't always match in era, it only adds to the otherworldly feel of the film.  I enjoyed it a lot and would recommended for fans of Hammer's style of horror. 

Bechdel Test:  Pass

Overall:  3.5/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 02:19:43 AM »
That sounds interesting.  I may have to try to find it.  I've seen some Hammer horror movies and I've liked them.

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 05:17:14 AM »
While Pete was at work, mom and I decided to watch Corpse Bride, which I've reviewed before - click here.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 05:20:40 AM »

The Body Snatcher
Year of Release: 1945
Directed By: Robert Wise
Starring: Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Henry Daniell, Edith Atwater, Russell Wade
Genre: Horror

Overview:
Boris Karloff plays the title role in the Lewton adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson's The Body Snatcher, directed with subtle calculation by versatile Robert Wise. A doctor (Henry Daniell) needs cadavers for medical studies and Karloff is willing to provide them - one way or another. Don't miss his scene with fellow horror icon Bela Lugosi.

My Thoughts:
This is a film about the evil that men do. There is nothing supernatural here, simply two men who do evil things - one for a 'higher' calling, the other more honestly - and a good man with little backbone who, unable to refuse his mentor, is strung along for the ride. Yes, the doctor does do good work in medicine, but do the ends justify the means?

The film has an intelligent, literate screenplay, as befits its origin in a Robert Lewis Stevenson story. The atmosphere is appropriately cold, and everyone does a great job. Henry Daniell's McFarlane is quite good, but the standout of course is Karloff. He is absolutely superb. His Gray is a wicked, amoral villain - but he's kind to children, and honest in his own way. He knows who he is and what he does, and that is itself a kind of virtue.

Highly recommended.

Bechdel Test:  Pass

Overall: 4/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield