Poll

Best Way of Posting Movie Reviews

Each Film Gets Own Thread (Other then actual marathons)
2 (40%)
have a thread for films (No matter the format... other then actual marathons)
3 (60%)
A Thread for DVD Reviews and Another for Blu-ray Reviews (Other then actual marathons)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Movie Reviews Poll  (Read 1712 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Movie Reviews Poll
« on: March 24, 2014, 02:00:51 PM »
I have been thinking about this lately. And I realize I am probably the one that started it with my "What Movies I Been Watching" random review thread. But because of that thread I realize I never really use the Movie Review Forum. So I was wondering what you all think is proper for reviewing random movies (when not doing a marathon).

For example... I just finished watching Gravity on Blu-ray (yes brought my Blu-ray player to the hotel.... is that a bad thing? :P )

Normally since I am not doing a marathon I would just pop this in my "What Movies I Have been Watching" thread. But is such a thread the best option considering the option of forums we have on the site?

Options I See...

1. Continue using the "What Movies I Been Watching" thread in the marathon reviews forum. This has the consequence that I seldomly if ever visit the "Movie Reviews" forum.

2. Break up above thread to formats and have a DVD Reviews thread and a Blu-ray thread. I have seen others do this... and can see the logic. But this also has the same drawback of not visiting the Movie Reviews forum.

3. When not doing a marathon make a new thread for each film you watch in the Movie Review forum. This would give me the opportunity to get use out of the Movie Review forum as well... and I believe this was the original thought behind all the forums of the site.

I am really thinking that option #3 may be the best bet on how to go forward from here for myself. But wanted other people's opinion on this matter as I do see a lot of threads done like a marathon thread without it being a "true" marathon.

Note that I am not saying anyone else should change the way they do it... more of a type of thing of what you think about it for me... is there any real benefit to having a thread such as "What Movies I Been Watching"?
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Reviews Poll
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 05:23:39 AM »
I used to think it would create too many threads. But I think at this point, that a per-film thread is probably the better way to go. It would be easier to search using the normal search function and on top it might even be easier to create an automated list, at least of a certain format for the thread title is followed :hmmmm:

Also, commenting on existing reviews would be easier in single threads..

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 09:51:19 AM »
I can see advantages on both sides. One nice thing about having someone's reviews in a single collected thread is that it's easier to get a grasp of that person's preferences, and thus know if his or her opinion on a movie is likely to coincide with your own. But I can see the advantages of per-movie threads as well. If the majority thinks per-movie is preferable, then I'll gladly go that way. Personally I don't have any strong feelings either way.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 05:23:28 AM »
I can see advantages on both sides. One nice thing about having someone's reviews in a single collected thread is that it's easier to get a grasp of that person's preferences, and thus know if his or her opinion on a movie is likely to coincide with your own.
That is a very good point :hmmmm: Just like with a reviewer in the newspaper or on he radio, you cannot just reference a single of their reviews, you have to see them in the context of many of their reviews...

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 01:55:57 PM »
I would think a nice enhancement to this forum would be *links* to other articles/reviews by the author of a post.  That would allow single review pages but still a "see more from"
Thank you
David

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 04:00:28 PM »
I do a combination of the first two options in the poll.

When I decide to write a lengthy, lot of thought put into it review, I post it in its own new thread, then link it to this collection thread of my long reviews...

http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,5789.0.html

But when I write just some quick thoughts on a film, I post the review in this collection thread of short reviews that I've written...

http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,6972.0.html

Discussions are welcomed in both threads and when Jon is around, can become quite interesting.   :training: :thumbup:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 02:40:02 AM »
I would do a new thread for each movie for the ones I've seen in the theater.  Ones on DVD/Blu-ray I put in a thread together..what I've been watching..something like that.

Hopefully I can get back to posting again soon.