Author Topic: Doctor Who: The Sea Devils  (Read 1769 times)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Doctor Who: The Sea Devils
« on: February 13, 2014, 03:24:36 PM »
TitleDoctor Who: The Sea Devils (Disc ID: 0D09-94AF-54AA-5119)
DirectorMichael Briant
ActorsJon Pertwee, Roger Delgado, Katy Manning, Edwin Richfield, Clive Morton
Produced1972 in United Kingdom
Runtime148 minutes
AudioEnglish Dolby Digital Mono, Commentary Dolby Digital 2-Channel Stereo, Music Only Dolby Digital Mono
SubtitlesEnglish
OverviewArrested after the events at Devil's End, the Master has been incarcerated at a top security prison on a remote island off the south coast of England. When the Doctor and Jo Grant pay a visit to their old enemy, they find him a reformed character. But can the spate of mysterious shipping accidents and garbled reports of sea monsters in the local are really be a coincidence? The Doctor soon finds himself pitted against the Sea Devils, an ancient race of reptiles intent on eliminating Makind and reclaiming Earth for themsleves...
My thoughtsDoctor Who: The Sea Devils comes as a part of Doctor Who: Beneath the Surface, a box that also contains Doctor Who: Warriors of the Deep and Doctor Who and the Silurians.

The Sea Devils is sort of a sequel to Doctor Who and the Silurians. But it also brings back one of The Doctor's old foes, The Master. Like in pretty much all of the classic Doctor Who shows, the limited budget is apparent, but a good script and good acting makes it quite enjoyable anyway.

One thing strikes me about the Doctor Who shows that I have seen so far with Jon Pertwee is that there is little or no Tardis travel. Everything seems to take place here on earth in “present time”. So they are perhaps not all that Doctor Who specific, if you know what I mean. These are fantasy stories that could, with little change, use another hero altogether.

Still, that's not necessarily a bad thing, depending on your expectations. A good story is a good story regardless of time and space. I enjoyed this one. Watching these old TV shows is a little bit like watching a theater play. You don't get realism, you have to let your imagination do a bit of the work.
My rating

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Doctor Who: The Sea Devils
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:01:14 PM »
YOur observation is correct, the Third Doctor is famous for staying on Earth because the Time Lords have revoked his TARDIS rights. Instead he uses this yellow car and other Earth means of transportation. This was mostly due to budget constraints.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 07:41:15 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 07:05:53 PM »
One thing strikes me about the Doctor Who shows that I have seen so far with Jon Pertwee is that there is little or no Tardis travel. Everything seems to take place here on earth in “present time”. So they are perhaps not all that Doctor Who specific, if you know what I mean. These are fantasy stories that could, with little change, use another hero altogether.

During the last episode with the second doctor ("The War Games"), the doctor was exiled to Earth by the Time Lords, and a regeneration was forced upon him. This is why the third doctor is restricted to Earth in the beginning. They did this to save money on the sci-fi stuff. When a new producer took over, he wanted to undo this decision, and the third doctor gets his exile lifted at the end of the 10th anniversary special "The Three Doctors".

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 06:48:16 AM »
And UNIT kind of...impounded the TARDIS in the first story with Pertwee....and kind of forced him into working with them.  The Doctor was taken to a local hospital after the TARDIS crashed, and the one guy from UNIT tracked him down..they found the key and wouldn't give it back to the Doctor.