Author Topic: Pie in the Sky  (Read 1437 times)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Pie in the Sky
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:54:05 PM »
TitlePie in the Sky: The Complete Boxed Set (5-036193-090738)
DirectorVarious
ActorsRichard Griffiths, Maggie Steed, Malcolm Sinclair
Produced1994 - 1997 in United Kingdom
Runtime1967 minutes
AudioEnglish Dolby Digital Mono
SubtitlesNone
OverviewThis special boxed set showcases all five series of this excellent drama, starring Richard Griffiths as Detective Inspector Henry Crabbe. Crabbe has been shot on duty and decides against the will of his police superiors and Margaret, his accountant wife, to open his own restaurant - Pie in the Sky.

Crabbe's passion is cooking but he is constantly called back to investigate cases for his needy ex-boss. He soon realises his dream of running his restaurant and creating his signature steak and kidney pies is in danger of taking second place to his police work.
My thoughtsPie in the Sky is a very British detective show. And one with a rather unique twist in that it combines police drama with the story of the Crabbes running the restaurant. I think it's the only TV fiction I've seen that has a Supervising Chef credit.

Richard Griffith is excellent as Henry Crabbe, and Maggie Steed is very good as his wife. It's a quite non-violent show. Unlike most other police drama shows the crimes don't even have to be murder.

This show is of the type where each episode stands on its own, so you can watch any episode without knowing what went before. Quite suitable for ”relaxed viewing”, just watching an episode when the mood strikes you. It took me 4 years to get through all 5 seasons included. And still I was sorry when I had watched the last episode. It's one of those shows where I felt I was saying goodbye to old friends when it was over.

The only fly in the ointment is that the audio isn't quite top notch (but quite good enough for me) and there is no subtitling. A very minor quibble for me, but it would have been nice to have. All in all a very enjoyable show, though. Highly recommended.
My rating4 out of 5

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Pie in the Sky
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 02:27:39 AM »
I've never heard of this one, but it sounds interesting.