Author Topic: Physical or virtual unwatched pile?  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Physical or virtual unwatched pile?
« on: October 21, 2013, 10:21:43 PM »
I was re-arranging my DVD shelves a little today. The aim was to get my unwatched stuff together at one place, instead of the three places I had. I didn't completely manage that though, as I have way too much unwatched stuff. According to DVD Profiler, I have 370 unwatched profiles (218 of those are TV season sets).

Now I am thinking, that maybe it would be better, to put my unwatched stuff to where I would put it if I had already watched it. Especially considering my many unwatched TV season sets, and therefore have the complete series next to each other. And to only have a virtual unwatched pile in my DVD Profiler database.

How are you handling your unwatched DVDs/Blu-rays?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Physical or virtual unwatched pile?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 10:43:24 PM »
And can you believe it? I don't have currently anything on order! It has been forever since my "Ordered" tab is empty.
I am thinking about implementing a policy, that I am only allowed to order a new movie, when I watch one from my unwatched pile. The same for TV sets.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 10:58:06 PM »
I keep all my movies together and have them sorted alphabetically - including the unwatched ones.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 11:00:10 PM »
I'm having 3 physical "Unwatched Piles"
1) Official left of the TV containing about 100 DVDs and BluRays
2) Semi-Official (in my office) of which I fill up the Official pile containing about 20 BluRays
3) Inofficial (At least I hope so) of which I fill up the Semi-Official pile currently containing about 30 DVDs and BluRays

And while the Best-Of-All-Possible-Wives knows that pile 2 exists, but chooses to ignore the fact, I really hope that I will survive the day she finds out about pile 3.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 11:08:25 PM »
I mainly keep my unwatched together with my watched and use Profiler to keep track of them. I store my dvds in purchase order and put a label with the collection number on the spine.

I do keep a few partially watched TV shows separately, though. I guess I try to convince myself that if they are easy to get at I will finish them before I buy more TV shows. Fat chance...  :-[

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 02:44:40 AM »
Some of my unwatched stuff is on a shelf with other stuff..in the proper alphabetical place.  Others are just sitting here and there...where ever I put them at the time.   :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 06:52:05 AM »
Some of my unwatched stuff is on a shelf with other stuff..in the proper alphabetical place.  Others are just sitting here and there...where ever I put them at the time.   :laugh:
Same here :cheers:

One "pile" is in the living room (happens to be the stuff ordered/arrived this year). Another section is in my "storage room". Unwatched Criterion are with their brothers and sisters. Some unwatched are within the regular collection (which is sorted alphabetically).

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 07:19:30 PM »
I have a small/portable 3-column rack next to my desk that holds my unwatched pile.

I am good about watching everything in my collection without overbuying. So far I have only bought one thing this year (a TV season back in September.)
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 07:51:56 PM »
I even have a huge pile with TV season sets which I started watching but didn't finish  :bag:

I decided now that I won't continue to strictly keep the unwatched stuff separate from the watched stuff. For now only for TV season sets though.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 08:02:53 PM »
I have it very simple, 2 different piles. 1 pile with only unwatched movies/series. And 1 pile with everything i've watched.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

MEJHarrison

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 08:38:44 PM »
Mine are all mixed together and properly alphabetized (just done last week as I just moved two weeks ago).

But I did alphabetize twice last week.  At one point way in the past, due to space reasons, I put movies in an easily accessible place and stored TV and box sets separately.  So I did movies, TV and boxed sets.  But I have space now to have everything easily accessible.  And it bugged me, so I mixed the movies and boxed sets and re-alphabetized.

On the other hand, I'm not like some of you.  My unwatched pile is only... 80 titles! :o

Wow, I really need to do something about that.  I like to only have about 2-3 dozen unwatched titles.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 08:49:38 PM »
I thought I take some pictures while I am reorganizing:

Entertainment center

Everything on the far right is unwatched stuff. Some of that which filled the space in the upper right corner is now piling in front of it waiting to be reorganized. Most of these are unwatched TV boxsets.
Also the rest of the shelves are all TV boxsets (and some mangas in the middle)

Second TV boxset shelf

Until yesterday, the complete top row was unwatched stuff, which I wanted to get away from there into the other shelf. Still the right half of the top shelf has unwatched stuff. On the left I put now some books.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 09:05:45 PM »
Most of my tv show sets are on the newer shelves in my room.  They are alphabetical regardless of if watched or not.    I have a few sets in the computer room from when I was working on reviews of them.  I do want to add the individual discs for a few of them.  I just haven't taken the time to do that yet. 

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 09:48:49 PM »
Now after I reorganized a little, I have a lot of space left in my unwatched pile shelf, and I am running out of space everywhere else  :laugh: