Author Topic: Interpol Calling  (Read 1577 times)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Interpol Calling
« on: November 08, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »

Interpol Calling is a British b&w TV show from 1959 - 1960. It consists of 39 half hour episodes. Or actually 25 minutes without commercials. The star is the rather unknown Charles Korvin.

I rather doubt that it paints an accurate portrait of Interpol of that time (or of any time), but it is still ok entertainment. I like half hour shows, because they get right down to business without a lot of unnecessary subplots. Charles Korvin isn't the most charismatic actor, but he rather grows on you as you watch the show.

Like many older TV shows it's rather low budget, typically with some stock footage to establish a foreign location with the rest of the show shot at Pinewood. Still a lot of fairly well known actors turn up during the run of the show, including Hazel Court, Barbara Shelley, Robert Brown, Walter Gotell, Rupert Davies, Mai Zetterling, Donald Pleasance and Patrick Troughton, just to mention a few.

I quite liked the show, but it is of course of its time, and you can't really compare it to today's cop shows. Interesting fact: the opening of each show mentions that Interpol has 63 member countries. Today it's more than three times as many.