Author Topic: 106 new Dr. Who episodes found!  (Read 5400 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: 106 new Dr. Who episodes found!
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 07:10:05 PM »
One other reason why I always hesitated to start with this series was the many spinoffs. I usually am a completist. How much interconnected are these series with Doctor Who?

Not much. Imagine TNG and DS9. A visit here and there but that's it.

For example: In Britain Doctor Who is considered a family show suitable for children (for proof just look at this Doctor Who at the Proms video*) which is the reason the Doctor was never allowed to visit Torchwood which is considered far more adult. But he did visit Elisabeth Sladen's (aka Sarah Jane Smith) pure children's show The Sarah Jane Adventures.

But in essence, each show stands on its own.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:16:03 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 07:16:20 PM »
* the timecode link doesn't seem to work. Just jump forward to 6:35
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 07:55:20 PM »
One other reason why I always hesitated to start with this series was the many spinoffs. I usually am a completist. How much interconnected are these series with Doctor Who?
They are all independent of each other.  If you decide to start watching I would suggest starting with the ninth Doctor Who (a reboot of the series) portrayed by Christopher Eccleston in 2005 I believe.  The first episode Rose is a great way to start.  Although Eccleston was great for the reboot, David Tennant is still my favorite of the reboot.  You could start back with the earlier doctors but you might find this more palatable <G>
Thank you
David

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 08:21:06 PM »
I actually prefer the old Doctor Who to the reboot. Although I haven't seen the oldest doctors (Hartnell and Troughton). There's a bit too much CGI in the reboot for my taste. I rather prefer the old, practical effects, even if they are very primitive by today's standards. They have a charm that is lacking today.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 11:40:04 PM »
BBC America has done a series of specials this year on each of the Doctors.  The first half hour or so is about the doctor..how he is different from the last one and things like that.  Then there is a episode of show with that Doctor.  I have most of them on my DVR...only watched the first 3 so far.  I think they are reairing most of them this week leading up to the 50th episode.  I've enjoyed the older episodes for the first 3 Doctors that I've seen.
I did see some episodes with the fourth Doctor years ago.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 01:31:38 AM »
I'm lucky enough to have all of the episodes you can get on disc (from england) and then some that you cant.  I do like the originals with some doctors being better than others.  But leaving the cgi out I find the newer ones more compelling in story etc.  And though some of the doctors and their companions had *chemistry* what was created between Rose and the good doctor (Tennant) was palpable with nothing overt going on.  But to be fair .. with the eleventh doctor, Rory, Amy and the doctor made an interesting triad.  Would be great even without the minimal cgi
Thank you
David

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 04:41:11 AM »
I do have a few Tom Baker stories on DVD..and I have the new seasons too...except for the last one.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »
Yeah .. they say you never forget your first Doctor :)  For me it was Tom Baker.  I don't think we even got anything from the bbc before then.  And not really sure when it was.
Thank you
David

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 06:08:47 AM »
Tom Baker was the first I saw too.  Years ago, I saw some Doctor Who on PBS.  It was Tom Baker as the Doctor..Sarah Jane..and K9 for most of what I saw.  I ended up seeing when he regenerated into 5.  I don't think I saw as much with him..then I lost track of when it was airing.  Didn't see it again until just about 3 years ago when I finally tracked down the newer episodes on BBC America.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 09:50:13 PM »
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 10:04:58 PM »
Just got a chance to watch An Adventure in Space and Time.  This is a docudrama of the creation of Doctor Who and the first Doctor William Hartnell.  This really put a bunch of bits together for me as I had just watched the first two series and had read about all i could find on it.  If you get a chance and want to know some beginning bits this is a great watch. 

Well off to the Tenth Doctor, portrayed by David Tennant and The Christmas Invasion
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 10:18:17 PM »
Blair .. that was a great post.  I hadn't see that before.  That took a lot of work to put together.  Wonder how many takes <G>
Thank you
David

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 02:19:41 AM »
Just got a chance to watch An Adventure in Space and Time.  This is a docudrama of the creation of Doctor Who and the first Doctor William Hartnell.  This really put a bunch of bits together for me as I had just watched the first two series and had read about all i could find on it.  If you get a chance and want to know some beginning bits this is a great watch. 

Well off to the Tenth Doctor, portrayed by David Tennant and The Christmas Invasion

That is on my DVR...so one more thing for me to catch up on.   :laugh:  I still have to watch the Revisted specials starting with the fourth Doctor.  Maybe I'll watch that one later tonight...or tomorrow after I get home.  I have to go in to work for a bit.  Oh wait.  Duh.  Almost forgot that the 50th anniversary episode is tomorrow.  DVR is already set to go.  I probably won't be home in time to watch it live.  But I will watch it.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 06:55:50 PM »
Is it just me or does David Tennant sound like Chris Barrie? Most times he reminds me of Mr Brittas. Sometimes he reminds me of Ace Rimmer.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 07:29:51 PM »
Did anyone see the new episode on Saturday (well at least here in the states)?.  It was basically great.  There was a little bit in the story lines beginning that I didn't like/think needed ... but with 95% greatness who is to complain.  Great story with very good production and acting.  John Hurt, as almost always, was awesome.  Closed up a bunch of problem story lines/continuity/questions and really left wanting for Christmas Day.
Thank you
David