Author Topic: My New Remote Arrived  (Read 1430 times)

Rogmeister

My New Remote Arrived
« on: December 20, 2013, 10:20:10 PM »
As many of you know, I have moved into my brother's home due to my health problems.  We brought up my 40-inch flatscreen TV about 3 weeks ago but unfortunately we couldn't find my universal remote.  It got displaced since I was mainly using the remote from the Comcast cable box.  We tried a universal remote but it didn't have all the functions I need...especially since as it was, I could only get 2 channels (HBO and INSP) and needed one that could program my TV.  I went online and ordered an offcial Sony remote.  It arrived today.

The toughest part was figuring out how to get the batteries in it.  It seemed one solid piece.  I found a YouTube video on how to get the battery compartment open and then my brother figured it out.  After that, programming the TV with our cable system was easy and I now get about 80 channels.  :clap:

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: My New Remote Arrived
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 10:37:12 PM »
Yeah .. any more you are basically stuck without the remote.  I remember one of our first tvs with a remote was a long cable running from the TV to a little box (4x6-8) with 2 switches.  1 a 'click' switch for channels and 2 for volume.  Now THAT is a remote.  And even I couldn't lose that :)
Thank you
David

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »
The first remote that I remember in my family was sonic instead of infrared. And the remote had only had 8 program slots. Which was enough as we only had 5 programs.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 12:25:57 AM »
The first remote I can remember was called "Younger Brother", was switched on by a lite smack on the forehead and had voice-control already.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 12:29:41 AM »
The first remote I can remember was called "Younger Brother", was switched on by a lite smack on the forehead and had voice-control already.

But I guess it didn't always work when you needed it to  ;)

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 12:35:48 AM »

But I guess it didn't always work when you needed it to  ;)

Yupp,
my childhood wasn't that nice at all.
Luckily my parents obviously saw it that way too and brought a secondary remote into the house model "Younger Sister".

The main problem was to get in command of the remote, sadly this command was usually located with my Dad, who even had three controls: Son 1, Son 2 and Daughter 1.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 01:07:37 AM »
THAT made me chuckle .. I WAS the younger brother :)
Thank you
David

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 04:15:47 AM »
 :laugh:

I've misplaced remotes before - or at least thought I did.  I've searched all over for it, only for it be pretty much where it should have been - just under a folder or blanket or something like that.  I will tear a room apart looking for the remoter rather than walk to the tv to change a channel.   :laugh:
A person can't properly channel surf without a remote.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 05:51:21 AM »
:hysterical:

My first TV as a kid (the family tv) had no remote, 12 or 13 channels with UHF, but what I thought was so cool is each channel was an individual touch-sensitive button and they all ran in a single line. I would take my finger and rake it down and up the buttons as fast as I could and the channel would change instantly through all of them... like turning the dial of a radio really fast.

My Dad bought our next TV so my mother would have one in her "office" room of the house, and I used it to play the ATARI. It used a 13-channel dial like what you see today on a stove.

I don't remember which TV of ours was the first with a remote, but I remember when we owned it. My first crush broke my heart, and I later threw it out of frustration... and then freaked out because I thought I broke it :laugh:
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.