Author Topic: Tom's 2013 Horror Marathon  (Read 11002 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Tom's 2013 Horror Marathon
« on: October 01, 2013, 09:32:18 PM »
As you know, I am not much of a horror fan. As a matter of fact, last year was the first time that I participated in our customary October marathon. I watched some of my few horror movies then.

For this year, I saved up two releases I bought this year especially for this month, which I plan to watch for this marathon. Which are these two:
[tom]5050582914566.4f.jpg[/tom]  [tom]5060223768755.4f.jpg[/tom]

And if I have time, maybe I will start watching:
[tom]5051892124928.4f.jpg[/tom]

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tom's 2013 Horror Marathon
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 11:36:10 PM »
[tom]I6839D4A693877F5B.4f.jpg[/tom]      Dracula (1931/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Pictures (United Kingdom)
Director:Tod Browning
Writing:Bram Stoker (Original Material By), Hamilton Deane (Original Material By), John L. Balderston (Original Material By), Garrett Fort (Screenwriter)
Length:74 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 1, French: DTS 1, Italian: DTS 1, German: DTS 1, Spanish: DTS 1, English: Dolby Digital 1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Commentary, Danish, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, Trivia
      [tom]I6839D4A693877F5B.4b.jpg[/tom]

Stars:
Bela Lugosi as Count Dracula
Helen Chandler as Mina
David Manners as John Harker
Dwight Frye as Renfield
Edward Van Sloan as Van Helsing

Plot:
The original classic starring Bela Lugosi is the signature adaptation of Bram Stoker's story that defined the iconic look and frightening character of the famed vampire.

Awards:
Won:
AFI (1931)  100 Years... 100 Quotes (2005) (Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make.)
AFI (1931)  100 Years... 100 Thrills (2001)

Extras:
  • • Alternate score by Philip Glass
  • • Intro to Spanish version by Lupita Tovar Kohner.
  • • Spanish version
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Photo Gallery
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
It was the first time, that I have seen this movie. I was always curious about Bela Lugosi's portrayal of the character, which established the character as we know him today. Even though I have never seen the movie before, I knew one sound-bite from it, which I was anticipating. The line "Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they play." It is used in an "Ärzte" song (one of my favorite bands), as the drummer is a big Dracula fan, especially Bela's version of the character. The reason why he chose his stage name "Bela B."

The movie itself is good. Though it had some lengths, even with its short run-time. I have also watched the Spanish version of it, which is better in some regards. Though Bela is more interesting to watch.

Rating:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 11:40:48 PM »
A perfect Dracula movie would have been everything from the spanish version but with Bela Lugosi. The only weakness of the spanish one is Carlos Villarías, that guy overact a lot and not in a good way.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 07:57:11 PM »
[tom]I4AB56C5EE4679475.4f.jpg[/tom]      Frankenstein (1931/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Director:James Whale
Writing:John L. Balderston (Original Material By), Mrs. Percy B. Shelley (Original Material By), Peggy Webling (Original Material By), Garrett Fort (Screenwriter), Francis Edwards Faragoh (Screenwriter)
Length:70 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 1, French: DTS 1, Italian: DTS 1, German: DTS 1, Spanish: DTS 1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Commentary, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, Trivia
      [tom]I4AB56C5EE4679475.4b.jpg[/tom]

Stars:
Colin Clive as Henry Frankenstein
Mae Clarke as Elizabeth
John Boles as Victor Moritz
Boris Karloff as The Monster
Edward Van Sloan as Doctor Waldman

Plot:
An unforgettable masterpiece, Boris Karloff stars as the screen's most tragic and iconic monster in what many consider to be the greatest horror film ever made.

Awards:
Won:
AFI (1931)  100 Years... 100 Movies (1998)
AFI (1931)  100 Years... 100 Quotes (2005) (It's alive! It's alive.)
AFI (1931)  100 Years... 100 Thrills (2001)

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Monster Tracks. Short "Boo!"
  • Photo Gallery
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this one more than Dracula. A well done movie. And Boris Karloff is great as the monster.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 07:59:01 PM »
[tom]I73B2A989E23AEB72.4f.jpg[/tom]      The Mummy (1932/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Director:Karl Freund
Writing:Nina Wilcox Putnam (Story By), Richard Schayer (Story By), John L. Balderston (Screenwriter)
Length:73 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 1, French: DTS 1, Italian: DTS 1, German: DTS 1, Spanish: DTS 1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Commentary, Danish, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish
      [tom]I73B2A989E23AEB72.4b.jpg[/tom]

Stars:
Boris Karloff as Imhotep
Zita Johann as Helen Grosvenor
David Manners as Frank Whemple
Arthur Byron as Sir Joseph Whemple
Edward Van Sloan as Doctor Muller

Plot:
Taken from his tomb by archaeologists, Imhotep is brought back to life and seeks to resurrect his lover using the soul of a beautiful local woman.

Awards:
Nominated:
AFI (1932)  100 Years... 100 Thrills (2001)

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Photo Gallery
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
I found this one quite boring. The only thing I really liked is the make-up of the mummy in the beginning of the movie.

Rating:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 08:42:13 PM »
I enjoyed this one more than Dracula. A well done movie. And Boris Karloff is great as the monster.
In that case you should watch Bride of Frankenstein who is better than Frankenstein. If it's part of that set of course...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 08:52:17 PM »
In that case you should watch Bride of Frankenstein who is better than Frankenstein. If it's part of that set of course...

It is part of the set. I have planned to watch the set chronologically. It comes after the next one (The Invisible Man).

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 10:52:38 PM »
[tom]ID2E6E5545155FCE5.4f.jpg[/tom]      The Invisible Man (1933/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Writing:R.C. Sherriff (Screenwriter)
Length:72 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 1, French: DTS 1, Italian: DTS 1, German: DTS 1, Spanish: DTS 1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Danish, English, French, German, Finnish, Italian, Commentary, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish
      [tom]ID2E6E5545155FCE5.4b.jpg[/tom]

Stars:
Claude Rains as (The Invisible Man.)
Gloria Stuart as Flora Cranley
William Harrigan as Doctor Kemp
Henry Travers as Doctor Cranley
Una O'Connor as Jenny Hall

Plot:
Claude Rains stars in the signature adaptation of H.G. Wells' story about a doctor who discovers a serum that makes him invisible and is also slowly driving him insane.

Awards:
Nominated:
AFI (1933)  100 Years... 100 Thrills (2001)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Commentary
  • Photo Gallery
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
The special effects are ground-breaking for its time. And the movie is a nice watch. But I was a little bored with it. I didn't like it, that most actors played it like it was a silly comedy. Especially the old woman, who reminded me a lot of the old ladies played by the Pythons. And a minor thing which bothered me is, that the voice of the invisible man never sounded like he was really in the scene. But this is probably the best they could do with the sound technology of the time.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 08:07:46 PM »
[tom]I5783C76C29BFA00F.4f.jpg[/tom]      Bride of Frankenstein (1935/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Writing:Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (Original Characters By), William Hurlbut (Screenwriter)
Length:75 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 1, French: DTS 1, Italian: DTS 1, German: DTS 1, Spanish: DTS 1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Danish, English, French, German, Finnish, Commentary, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish
      [tom]I5783C76C29BFA00F.4b.jpg[/tom]

Stars:
Karloff as The Monster
Colin Clive as Henry Frankenstein
Valerie Hobson as Elizabeth
Ernest Thesiger as Doctor Pretorius
Elsa Lanchester as Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

Plot:
In one of the most popular horror classics of all time, Boris Karloff reprises his role as he silver screen's most misunderstood monster, who now longs for a mate (Elsa Lanchester).

Awards:
Nominated:
Academy Award (1935)  Best Sound Recording (Gilbert Kurland (Sound Director, Universal Studio Sound Department))

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Commentary
  • Trailers
  • Photo Gallery
  • Featurettes
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
I found the first half quite boring. And the overacting of most of the cast really bothered me. It incuded again the old lady from Invisible Man, who I complained about also then. The cast act like they are on a bad stage play instead of a movie.
But I enjoyed the second half. The scenes with the monster with the blind man were fun to watch and also the finale with the bride was great. The acting of Karlof was again the best thing of the movie. Also the bride did a great job.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 09:52:18 PM »
[tom]IAF5D06FEAFBBEE48.4f.jpg[/tom]      The Wolf Man (1941/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Director:George Waggner
Writing:Curt Siodmak (Screenwriter)
Length:70 min.
Subtitles:Danish, English, French, German, Finnish, Italian, Commentary, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish
      [tom]IAF5D06FEAFBBEE48.4b.jpg[/tom]

Stars:
Claude Rains as Sir John Talbot
Warren William as Dr. Lloyd
Ralph Bellamy as Colonel Montford
Patric Knowles as Frank Andrews
Bela Lugosi as Bela

Plot:
Featuring a heartbreaking performance by Lon Chaney Jr, this story of a cursed man who transforms into a deadly werewolf has not only become a masterpiece of the horror genre, but of all time.

Awards:
Nominated:
AFI (1941)  100 Years... 100 Thrills (2001)
AFI (1941)  100 Years... 25 Scores (2005) (Hans J. Salter, Charles Previn)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Commentary
  • Trailers
  • Photo Gallery
  • Featurettes
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
I was quite bored by this movie. Sadly it didn't really keep my attention.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 10:21:46 PM »
[tom]5060223768755.4f.jpg[/tom]      The Cabin in the Woods (2012/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Lionsgate Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Director:Drew Goddard
Writing:Joss Whedon (Writer), Drew Goddard (Writer)
Length:95 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:English
      [tom]5060223768755.4b.jpg[/tom]

Stars:
Sigourney Weaver as The Director
Kristen Connolly as Dana
Chris Hemsworth as Curt
Anna Hutchison as Jules
Fran Kranz as Marty

Plot:
Five friends go to a remote cabin in the woods. Bad things happen. If you think you know this story, think again. From fan favourites Joss Whedon (The Avengers Assemble, TVs Buffy: The Vampire Slayer) and Drew Goddard (Cloverfield) comes THE CABIN IN THE WOODS, a mind blowing horror film that turns the genre inside out.

Produced by Whedon and directed by Goddard from a script by both, the film stars Kristen Connolly, Chris Hemsworth (The Avengers Assemble), Anna Hutchison, Fran Kranz (Tvs Dollhouse), Jesse Williams (TVs Grey Anantomy), Richard Jenkins (Let Me In) and Bradley Whitford (TVs The West Wing).

Awards:
Nominated:
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards (2012)  Best Sci-Fi/Horro Movie

Extras:
  • Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Picture-in-picture
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I really wanted to like this movie. I had high expectations for it. It is written by Joss Whedon and I often read that is quite a game changer. But I found it quite a standard horror movie fare. Which I am not much of a fan of.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 07:55:15 PM »
[tom]I82F4C5E30E6D1B04.4f.jpg[/tom]      Phantom of the Opera (1943/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Director:Arthur Lubin
Writing:Eric Taylor (Screenwriter), Samuel Hoffenstein (Screenwriter), Gaston Leroux (Original Material By)
Length:93 min.
Subtitles:Danish, English, French, German, Finnish, Italian, Commentary, Norwegian, Spanish
      [tom]I82F4C5E30E6D1B04.4b.jpg[/tom]

Stars:
Nelson Eddy as Anatole Garron
Susanna Foster as Christine DuBois
Claude Rains as Erique Claudin
Edgar Barrier as Raoul Daubert
Leo Carrillo as Signor Ferretti

Plot:
This spectacular horror tale stars Claude Rains as the masked phantom of the Paris opera house in a lavish production that remains a masterpiece of the genre.

Awards:
Won:
Academy Award (1943)  Best Art Direction, Color (John B. Goodman, Alexander Golitzen (Art Direction), Russell A. Gausman, Ira S. Webb (Interior Decoration))
Academy Award (1943)  Best Cinematography, Color (Hal Mohr, W. Howard Greene)
Nominated:
Academy Award (1943)  Best Music, Musical Picture (Edward Ward)
Academy Award (1943)  Best Sound Recording (Bernard B. Brown (Sound Director, Universal Studio Sound Department))

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Commentary
  • Trailers
  • Photo Gallery
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
I was quite bored with this movie. I just couldn't get into it. I was surprised though, that it was in color, as so far all the movies in the set were black and white. Though I have to say, that I am not sure if this movie fits thematically into the classic monsters movie set.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 09:43:37 PM »
[tom]I3825BE8010ABBAC6.4f.jpg[/tom]      Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Director:Jack Arnold
Writing:Harry Essex (Screenwriter), Arthur Ross (Screenwriter), Maurice Zimm (Story By)
Length:79 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85
      [tom]I3825BE8010ABBAC6.4b.jpg[/tom]

Stars:
Richard Carlson as David Reed
Julia Adams as Kay
Richard Denning as Mark Williams
Antonio Moreno as Carl Maia
Nestor Paiva as Lucas

Plot:
A hideous creature kidnaps the woman he loves, forcing scientists to hunt him all the way back into the depths from where he came in this iconic horror film.

Awards:
Nominated:
AFI (1954)  100 Years... 100 Thrills (2001)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Commentary
  • Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
With this movie I finished the set and I am concluding this marathon. It is a well-done movie which I enjoyed watching for the most part. I think the monster is done well for its time and also the underwater stuff is nice to look at.

Rating: