Author Topic: FantasyFilmFest 2013  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
FantasyFilmFest 2013
« on: August 08, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »
Like every year, I plan to watch some movies at the FantasyFilmFest, which soon will come to Munich.

Looking through the movies which will run, there aren't any, which have really caught my eye.

But these are these movies, which I am currently thinking about visiting:

Europa Report
Odd Thomas
Wrong
Cheap Thrills
The Philosophers
100 Bloody Acres
Fresh Meat
Haunter
uwantme2killhim?

Here is the full program: Are there any which you have heard off and I just have to see?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: FantasyFilmFest 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 06:19:18 AM »
It seems I have really fallen of the grid with this. I looked at the complete listing and only recognized a few films. Nothing I would think that would interest you though, like Hatchet III or Zombie Hunter... You might want to take a look at A Field in England though. I don't know much about it, but Mark Kermode seemed to like it and I have seen another film of Ben Wheatley that I enjoyed (Kill List).

I used to be very jealous that you got to go to this Filmfest and I didn't, but this year, :shrug: not so much. (Don't anybody dare to say I am getting old :laugh:)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 08:50:06 PM »
uwantme2killhim?
A teenage boy's descent into the dangerous world of the Internet and the harrowing consequences of his actions. A true story.

My first movie at the FantasyFilmFest this year. It is okay. Well done. It is contender in the "Fresh Blood" category, which looks for the best movie of new filmmakers.
The problem for me though was, that I guessed from the beginning the twist. My colleague who was with me, didn't guess the twist and enjoyed it more than me.

My rating:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 09:43:29 PM »
Tom, check out Wortvogel's blog (German) for infos on these films: http://wortvogel.de/category/fantasy-filmf-13/
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »
Tom, check out Wortvogel's blog (German) for infos on these films: http://wortvogel.de/category/fantasy-filmf-13/

Thanks. I will check it out after the film fest. I already have all my tickets, and I want to stay as unspoiled as possible. I will watch 10 movies this year.
Though taking a closer look just now, it seemed he only watched two of my selected movies.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 10:22:04 PM »
Europa Report
An international crew of astronauts undertakes a privately funded mission to search for life on Jupiter's fourth largest moon.

A documentary style movie showing the ill-fated first human mission going to the Jupiter moon "Europa". The movie itself is good. Well acted and shot. Quite realistically done. Personally I found it a little boring though. The others enjoyed it better so. Myself, I preferred "Moon", which had a similar feel to it at some points.

My rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 01:30:03 PM »
Odd Thomas
In a California desert town, a short-order cook with clairvoyant abilities encounters a mysterious man with a link to dark, threatening forces.

A nice enough movie, but nothing special. It stars Anton Yelchin (Chekov in the new Star Trek) and Willem Dafoe.

My rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 10:01:03 PM »
Wrong
Dolph Springer wakes up one morning to realize he has lost the love of his life, his dog, Paul. During his quest to get Paul (and his life) back, Dolph radically changes the lives of others -- risking his sanity all the while.

Very strange. With no resolution why everyone behaves so strangely. Like it is the most normal thing in the world. But it works for this movie. For example, the office the main character is working in, has its sprinkler system running the whole time. And the characters continue to work getting soaked, like it is normal. And the main character goes to this office pretending to work, even though he has been fired three months previously.

My rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 12:16:40 AM »
I saw three movies today:

The Human Race
In THE HUMAN RACE a group of 80 people are ripped out of their daily lives and all re-appear in an undisclosed location. These people are from all walks of life: young and old, athletic and disabled, white-collared and homeless. The rules to a race boom in their heads, in their own voice and language, laying out what will become a horrific race of terror: 'If you are lapped twice, you die. If you step off the path, you die. If you touch the grass, you will die. Race... or die.'

If you enjoyed "Battle Royale", you might enjoy this one also. I liked it. Premise is similar. I liked how they built up a character (reminding a little of Katnip (sp?) from Hunger Games) only for her dying in the first minute of the game  :laugh:

My rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
Fresh Meat
A dysfunctional gang of criminals takes a middle class Maori family hostage and discovers too late that they are cannibals.

Nothing special, but a fun movie. It could even qualify for my Lesbian movie marathon thread.

My rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 12:26:06 AM »
Haunter
The ghost of a teenager who died years ago reaches out to the land of the living in order to save someone from suffering her same fate.

As you know, I am not much of a horror fan. I chose this movie, because Abigail Breslin never disappoint in the past, and because the movie plays a little with time loops. It is a good ghost movie. I can recommend it to you horror fans.

My rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 12:38:47 AM »
Tomorrow I don't have any FFF movie to watch. I already know what I will do though: I will finish Gilmore Girls season 2 (only two episodes to go) and then start with the sixth season of Big Bang Theory :)

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
Haunter
The ghost of a teenager who died years ago reaches out to the land of the living in order to save someone from suffering her same fate.

Summary reminded me of this:

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 04:45:25 PM »
And I really like 'The Lovely Bones'.  Great job by Saoirse Ronan.  I went back and watched others by her and she has a great career coming.
Thank you
David

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 12:30:29 AM »
Cheap Thrills

This would have been great as a short movie, but as a feature length the story was too thin. Execution was well done. The acting was great. But I found the screenplay rather boring.

My rating:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 12:37:46 AM by Tom »