Author Topic: DSig's Short List of what I'm Watching  (Read 55973 times)

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DSig's Short List of what I'm Watching
« Reply #180 on: March 08, 2013, 10:09:07 PM »
     Men in Black 3 (2012/United States)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Barry Sonnenfeld
Writing:Etan Cohen (Writer), Lowell Cunningham (Original Characters By)
Length:106 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Will Smith as Agent J
Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K
Josh Brolin as Young Agent K
Jemaine Clement as Boris the Animal
Emma Thompson as Agent O
Michael Stuhlbarg as Griffin
Mike Colter as Colonel
Nicole Scherzinger as Boris' Girlfriend

Plot:
In MEN IN BLACK 3, Agents J (Will Smith) and K (Tommy Lee Jones) are back... in time. J has seen some inexplicable things in his 15 years with the Men in Black, but nothing, not even aliens, perplexes him as much as his wry, reticent partner. But when K's life and the fate of the planet are put at stake, Agent J will have to travel back in time to put things right. J discovers that there are secrets to the universe that K never told him – secrets that will reveal themselves as he teams up with the young Agent K (Josh Brolin) to save his partner, the agency and the future of humankind.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:
Wikipedia Link for Men in Black 3

Genre: Science-Fiction, Comedy, Action
Rating: PG-13
Have I seen it before: Yes
Do I Like it as much: Yes
Last Watched: 2/17/2013

Review: 4/5

I have to admit tht I was worried when I heard there was going to be a MIB3 ... I mean very seldom do I find second films very engaging and thirds .. no way.  I mean what could they do.

Well MIB3 really breaks the mold.  Making it a 'time travel' based film was a great stroke ... but even that could be fraught with peril as 'time travel' story lines can be complex, hard to follow and quite often just silly.  But again MIB3 is free from those issues.

First, Josh Brolin is simply wonderful as an early J.  Being an actor and portraying someone that is well known must be hard enough ... but playing an *beloved* character like J and pulling it off as well as he does is simply astounding.

Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones recreate their character to a *T*.  Great writing must help with this, but these seem to be characters they simply *wear* well.  Will Smith as a grownup "Fresh Prince of Bel Aire" and Tommy Lee Jones always gruff.  Great team work.

New comers for this film series, Jemaine Clement as Boris the Animal, and Michael Stuhlbarg as Griffin (alien who helps J&K) are really marvelous in their roles.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 08, 2013, 10:10:17 PM »
     Sibling Rivalry (1990/United States)

(United States)
Director:Carl Reiner
Writing:Martha Goldhirsh (Writer)
Length:87 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Kirstie Alley as Marjorie Turner
Bill Pullman as Nicholas Meany
Carrie Fisher as Iris Turner-Hunter
Jami Gertz as Jeanine
Scott Bakula as Harry Turner
Frances Sternhagen as Rose Turner
John Randolph as Charles Turner, Sr.
Sam Elliott as Charles Turner, Jr.
Ed O'Neill as Wilbur Meany

Plot:
All Marjorie ever wanted was to become a writer: "like Sylvia Path...only happy." But she put her dream aside to marry a doctor...before discovering that he has no bedside manner! Unhappy, unfulfilled and decidedly unsatisfied, she attempts to find bliss in a hotel room with a handsome stranger. But when the man she checks in with checks out for good - leaving behind only a smiling corpse and a shocking identity - Marjorie will have to cover up the body and the affair...or she may as well write off the rest of her life!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:
Wikipedia Link for Sibling Rivalry

Genre: Comedy
Last Watched: 2/17/2013

Review: 3/5

This is a fun *middle of the road* comedy with a good serviceable cast and storyline.

Kristie Alley, though not strong enough to carry a movie by herself is fun and loveable here.  Has her normal scatter brained bits but she is endearing.

Scott Backula plays her brow beaten husband (brow beaten by his family ... not wife) and a complete loss to his wife.

The supporting cast are wonderful as the family and friends.  A very short bit by Sam Elliott is very fun ... he always brings a touch of class to a film.

The story is nothing new ... in fact plays like an old joke.  But it is good and is comfortable to watch.

Not a bad way to spend 90 minutes.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 08, 2013, 10:24:40 PM »
     Cloud Atlas (2012/)

Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Lana Wachowski
Director:Tom Tykwer
Director:Andy Wachowski
Writing:Lana Wachowski
Writing:Tom Tykwer
Writing:Andy Wachowski
Length:171 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen :1

Stars:
Tom Hanks
Halle Berry
Jim Broadbent
Hugo Weaving
Jim Sturgess
Doona Bea
Ben Whishaw
James D'Arcy
Susan Sarandon
Hugh Grant

Plot: (from Wikipedia)
Cloud Atlas consists of six nested stories that take the reader from the remote South Pacific in the nineteenth century to a distant, post-apocalyptic future. Each tale is revealed to be a story that is read (or observed) by the main character in the next. The first five stories are interrupted at a key moment. After the sixth story, the other five stories are returned to and closed, in reverse chronological order, and each ends with the main character reading or observing the chronologically previous work in the chain. Eventually, readers end where they started, with Adam Ewing in the nineteenth century South Pacific.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Wikipedia Link for Cloud Atlas

Genre: Drama, Science-Fiction
Rating: R
Have I seen it before: No
Do I Like it as much:
Last Watched: 2/20/2013

Review: 4.5/5

I luckily got a 'preview' copy of this film, as I don't think it was ever shown in my area.  I think this is a monster of a film.  The scope and breadth of the story line
is awesome.  It pulls it off well even after all the problems with production (budget etc).

I know that it is/will be a hard watch for some as it basically has multiple plots across 6 timelines.  Not only great cast but the story line is innovative and strong.  And the music is wonderful.  Great soundtrack to get.

This is a must see for anyone who likes Sci-Fi/Fantasy or good complex story lines.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 08, 2013, 10:27:22 PM »
     Friends with Benefits (2011/United States)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Will Gluck
Writing:Keith Merryman (Screenwriter), David A. Newman (Screenwriter), Will Gluck (Screenwriter), Harley Peyton (Story By), Keith Merryman (Story By), David A. Newman (Story By)
Length:109 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Justin Timberlake as Dylan
Mila Kunis as Jamie
Patricia Clarkson as Lorna
Jenna Elfman as Annie
Bryan Greenberg as Parker
Richard Jenkins as Mr. Harper
Woody Harrelson as Tommy
Nolan Gould as Sam

Plot:
Dylan (Justin Timberlake) is done with relationships. Jamie (Mila Kunis) decides to stop buying into the Hollywood clichés of true love. When the two become friends they decide to try something new and take advantage of their mutual attraction - but without any emotional attachment. Physical pleasure without the entanglements. Sounds easy enough for two logical adults, right? Not so much. They soon realize romantic comedy stereotypes might exist for a reason.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:
Wikipedia Link for Friends with Benefits

Genre: Comedy, Romance
Do I Like it as much:
Last Watched: 2/25/2013

Standard fair with basic storyline ... but for me Mila Junis really shines in this film which is really odd for me as I have really had a *dislike* (actually don't dislike but you get it) for her since That 70's Show.  Her character was too whiney ... too "bitchy" (though that suits in Family Guy as .  Of course, like my reaction to Meryl Streep in Kramer VS Kramer it may just be a great actor giving a great performance<shrug> ).  But here she she shines.

Timberlake is .. well timberlake.  I never really get anything invested in his performances.

Good supporting cast including a very fun performance by Patricia Clarkson as the crazy hippy mom.  Go 60's.

Over all an enjoyable watch.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 08, 2013, 11:28:30 PM »
     Fried Green Tomatoes: Widescreen: Collector's Edition (1991/United States)

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Jon Avnet
Writing:Fannie Flagg (Original Material By), Fannie Flagg (Screenwriter), Carol Sobieski (Screenwriter)
Length:136 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Kathy Bates as Evelyn Couch
Mary Stuart Masterson as Idgie Threadgoode
Mary-Louise Parker as Ruth Jamison
Jessica Tandy as Ninny Threadgoode
Cicely Tyson as Sipsey
Chris O'Donnell as Buddy Threadgoode
Stan Shaw as Big George
Gailard Sartain as Ed Couch

Plot:
Step back in time to the sleepy little Southern town of Whistle Stop. Academy Award® winners* Kathy Bates and Jessica Tandy star with Mary Stuart Masterson and Mary-Louise Parker in this remarkable drama that had critics raving and continues to keep audiences captivated. In Jon Avnet's film of Fannie Flagg's best-selling novel, this heartwarming tale depicts the strength of the human spirit through laughter, devotion, and a special friendship that defies all obstacles.

*Kathy Bates: 1990, Best Actress, Misery. Jessica Tandy: 1989, Best Actress, Driving Miss Daisy.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Genre: Drama, Comedy
Rating: NR
Do I Like it as much: YES
Last Watched: 3/1/2013

This is one of those great movies that work on so many levels.  I loved the characters and story line and not having read the novel did not put any preconceived ideas in my head.

The cast, headed by Kathy Bates, Mary Stuart Masterson and Mar-Louise Parker was brilliant in all choices.  With Kathy Bates having just come off her monster performance in Misery continues to flex her muscles and range here.  Covering dramatic and comedic bits very well.  And with the memorable tag line "Sorry girls ... i'm older and I have more insurance".

Mary Stuart Masterson gives her first monster performance in this one ... working up to Benny & Joon.  Her performance here as the tomboy like Idgie is wonderful.  You can feel the sensual tension between her and Mary-Louise Parker (though only implied in the film .. stated in the novel).  And Mary-Louise Parker is great fun as the straight-laced Ruth.  This is only her third film and shows no sign of new-comer syndrome.  She has complete control of the character.

And Jessica Tandy .. what can one say about her.  She was one of those wonderful performers who seem to just get better and better as they get older.  Having just coming off the great Driving Miss Daisy.  Of course we lost her just a short 3 years after this film.

And this is the directorial debut for Jon Avnet and the best film he did in his career.

Basically all things came together for this film.

This, to me, is a must see for good family fun and entertainment.  It is rated NR but might be a bit much for young as it deals in subjects of Race that might not be understandable to kids.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 08, 2013, 11:37:02 PM »
    The Big White: Widescreen (2005/United States)

Echo Bridge Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Mark Mylod
Writing:Collin Friesen (Writer)
Length:105 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Robin Williams as Paul
Holly Hunter as Margaret
Giovanni Ribisi as Ted
Woody Harrelson as Raymond
Alison Lohman as Tiffany

Plot:
On the brink of bankruptcy, Alaska travel agent Paul Barnell (Robin Williams) cooks up a scheme to pass off a dead body as a long-lost brother, Raymond (Woody Harrelson), to collect on his million-dollar life insurance policy. But unfortunately, the overly ambitios insurance investigator (Giovanni Ribisi) isn't buying the scam, the hit men responsible for the body want it back-so they kidnap Paul's crazy but lovable Tourette's afflicted wife (Holly Hunter)-and, to top it off, Raymond shows up demanding a piece of the action. So much for easy money...

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Wikipedia Link for The Big White: Widescreen

Genre: Comedy, Suspense/Thriller
Do I Like it as much:
Last Watched: 3/3/2013

This is a very enjoyable film with just a few bumps.  With the exception of Woody Harrelson, who i normally really like, the cast works very well together.

The direction of Mark Myold whose work I have not seen before, seems choppy and this is the biggest hurtle this film has.

Overall not a bad way to spend 105 minutes.  I wont throw it out of my collection and will happily watch it again if/when it comes up.

But don't run out and buy it.  Watch it first.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 08, 2013, 11:49:35 PM »
     Coyote Ugly (2000/United States)

Touchstone Home Video, Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:David McNally
Writing:Gina Wendkos (Writer)
Length:101 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Piper Perabo as Violet Sanford
Adam Garcia as Kevin O'Donnell
John Goodman as Bill
Maria Bello as Lil
Izabella Miko as Cammie
Tyra Banks as Zoe
Bridget Moynahan as Rachel
Melanie Lynskey as Gloria

Plot:
From hit-making producer Jerry Bruckheimer (Gone in 60 Seconds, Armageddon) comes Coyote Ugly, the intoxicating sexy comedy starring an unbeatable cast of hot, new stars including Piper Perabo (Rocky And Bullwinkle) and Maria Bello (Payback). Moving to New York to pursue her dream of becoming a famous songwriter, Violet Sanford (Perabo) finds herself desperate and broke. Through a twist of fate, the shy, innocent Violet lands a job as one of the barmaids at the hottest nightclub in town — the down and dirty, wild and fun Coyote Ugly. Pouring drinks and overflowing with attitude, the "Coyotes" spend more time on top of the bar than behind it, tantalizing the standing-room-only crowd with their outrageous antics! It's one wild adventure for a small-town girl chasing her dream in the big city.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Wikipedia Link for Coyote Ugly

Genre: Drama, Comedy
Last Watched: 3/3/2013

Review: 3.5/5

This is a very fun film.  It might not rate a 3.5 but it is better than a 3.

Piper Perabo is brilliant in this one.  She is bright and bubbly.  This is really her first staring role in a film, and to my way of thinking, until tv series Covert Affairs her most public role.  Her job in Covert Affairs is also very good.

The rest of the cast is basically all supporting and very capable. For guys this film is enjoyable from the pretty view.  From partiers it is a fun film for those of us who have spent much time at bars.  And for music lovers there is some very good tunes.  Including a couple of songs by the phenom LeAnn Rimes (she sure doesn't look 17).

Overall it is a fun watch.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2013, 12:00:14 AM »
     Flakes (2007/United States)

(United States)
Director:Michael Lehmann
Writing:
Length:87 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Zooey Deschanel
Aaron Stanford
Keir O'Donnell
Ryan Donowho
Frank Wood
Izabella Miko
Christopher Llyod

Plot:
Neal (Aaron Stanford) will be a rockstar, Miss Pussy Katz (Zooey Deschanel) will be an art legend, and they will live forever in an Airstream trailer pulled by an El Dorado convertible. This isn't a dream - it's a plan. And Neal might have the goods for it. But he'll never know, because he spends way too much time working at Flakes, a bohemian cereal shop in New Orleans. It*s very cool. And the most dead-end job in history. When a junior capitalist opens a rip-off version of Flakes right across the street, it means war for Neal. He gets sucked further and further in until Miss Pussy Katz realizes that to save their dreams, she must liberate Neal from his obsession. But even in victory, she sees that Neal will never live up to his promise. And when she finally gives up, it's Neal's turn to save the dream.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
Wikipedia Link for Flakes

Genre: Comedy
Do I Like it as much:
Last Watched: 03/04/2013

Review: 0.5/5

I got this one at a garage sale for 1.50 and I have to say that that was about 1.00 too much.

This is a horrible role for just about all involved ... especially Zooey Deschanel.  I am not sure what she or her representatives were thinking.  This has to be her "Legend" :)

I am not sure what happened here.  It doesn't seem to be over reaching .. as there was no where to reach.  Maybe they tore out every 3rd page of script .. i don't know, but it should never have been made and definitely never released.
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #188 on: March 09, 2013, 12:40:41 AM »
I didn;t like Flakes but dang, you REALLY didn't like it. :laugh:

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 09, 2013, 03:44:57 PM »
 :stars: It didn't make any sense at all.  The actors seemed confused throughout the entire film.  And man if they are confused how can the user enjoy it.

Of course the nice bit about the film being so terrible is that it allowed me to concentrate on work :) the client was very happy
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 09, 2013, 08:08:08 PM »
     Flash of Genius (2008/United States)

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Marc Abraham
Writing:Philip Railsback (Writer), John Seabrook (Original Material By)
Length:119 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Greg Kinnear as Bob Kearns
Dermot Mulroney as Gil Previck
Lauren Graham as Phyllis Kearns
Alan Alda as Gregory Lawson

Plot:
Academy Award® nominee Greg Kinnear* stars in this inspiring true story about an ordinary man and his extraordinary fight against one of the most powerful corporations in the country. Dr. Robert Kearns (Kinnear) and his family are on their way to achieving the American Dream when he invents a device that can be used in every car in the world. But when an auto giant steals his idea, Robert goes the unthinkable: He takes on the corporate titan in a battle no one believes he can win. Co-starring Alan Alda, Dermot Mulroney and Lauren Graham, it's the remarkable, feel-good journey critics are calling "hugely entertaining!" (Pete Hammond, Hollywood.com)
* 1997, Actor in a Supporting Role, As Good As It Gets

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes

My Thoughts:
Wikipedia Link for Flash of Genius

Genre: Drama
Do I Like it as much:
Last Watched: 03/04/2013

Review: 3.5/5
This is a very enjoyable story about a little guy who overcame all odds and got not only his day in court but actually slayed goliath.
A good story line, though at times a bit slow, with good characters.
Greg Kinnear did an excellent job as Robert Kerns ... brilliant, somewhat dysfunctional and not very personable.  Lauren Graham does an excellent job as his wife.

All in all this is a good film.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 09, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »
    Fargo: Special Edition (1996/United States)

MGM Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Joel Coen
Writing:Ethan Coen (Writer), Joel Coen (Writer)
Length:98 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish, Trivia

Stars:
William H. Macy as Jerry Lundegaard
Frances McDormand as Marge Gunderson
Steve Buscemi as Carl Showalter
Peter Stormare as Gaear Grimsrud
Harve Presnell as Wade Gustafson
John Carroll Lynch as Norm Gunderson
Kristin Rudrüd as Jean Lundegaard

Plot:
Nominated for seven Oscars and winner of two, this darkly amusing thriller combines a first-rate cast, "a dazzling mix of mirth and malice" (Rolling Stone) and a bizarre kidnapping plot that unravels the Midwest like never before. Starring Frances McDormand, William H. Macy and Steve Buscemi, Fargo is a brilliant tour de force from the creators of Raising Arizona and O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interactive Games
  • Closed Captioned
  • Trivia Track

My Thoughts:
Wikipedia Link for Fargo: Special Edition

Genre: Suspense/Thriller, Drama, Comedy
Do I Like it as much: YES
Last Watched:

To me, this is a near perfect movie and probably one of the best if not the best that the Coen Brothers have done (of course with so many really good films it is hard to judge 'best').

The cast, headed by Frances McDormand and William H. Macy are really perfect in their roles.  It would be hard to find anyone who could have done better in either of their roles.  And many of the co-stars including Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormare are so hapless as the criminals.

The story line, flow, filming and all just bring this to the top of my list of all time films.

Definitely a must see.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:02:28 PM by DSig »
Thank you
David

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #192 on: March 09, 2013, 10:13:08 PM »
Agree with Fargo. This is the first movie I saw that made me a fan of William H. Macy.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2013, 06:26:40 AM »
     Trapped (2002/United States)

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Luis Mandoki
Writing:Greg Iles (Original Material By), Greg Iles (Screenwriter)
Length:106 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Charlize Theron as Karen
Courtney Love as Cheryl
Stuart Townsend as Will
Kevin Bacon as Hickey
Pruitt Taylor Vince as Marvin
Dakota Fanning as Abby Jennings
Steve Rankin as Hank Ferris
Garry Chalk as Agent Chalmers

Plot:
From the producer of Thelma & Louise comes a white-knuckle, edge-of-your-seat thriller starring Charlize Theron (Mighty Joe Young, Sweet November), Courtney Love (The People vs. Larry Flynt), Stuart Townsend (Queen of the Damned) and Kevin Bacon (Hollow Man, Wild Things).

When their daughter is abducted and taken for ransom by a gang of serial kidnappers, a young doctor and his wife find themselves held hostage while a 24-hour plan to extort their money is set into motion. Now, with time running out and the health of their asthmatic daughter at serious risk, they find themselves in a life-and-death race against the clock as the "perfect crime" begins spiraling towards an unthinkable, terrifying and deadly conclusion.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Wikipedia Link for Trapped

Genre: Suspense/Thriller
Last Watched: 3/4/2013

This is a great thriller / action film with a very fine cast.  With primaries Charlize Theron, whom I have liked in most things (with the exception of Aeon Flux) and Kevin Bacon as a great bad guy .. they really lead this cast well.

Dakota Fanning is too young here to really count (though it is only 5 short years until her good performance in Dreamer and her monster performance in Hounddog) and here she is still just a screamer.  But she does have a set of lung.

Courtney Love and Pruitt Taylor Vance give very good performances as Kevin Bacon's cohorts.

But it really is Kevin Bacon who gives the outstanding performance.  He can play twisted and evil very well.

This a really fun way to spend 100 minutes.  Very happy to have added this to my collection.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 19, 2013, 09:14:36 PM »
Man I am way behind and maybe some day will catch up ... but for now ...

The Lone Ranger: 75th Anniversary Collector's Edition (1949/United States)

Classic Media (United States)
Director:
Writing:
Length:1806 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:

Stars:
Clayton Moore
Jay Silverheels

Plot:
Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear...when with one jaunty call, "Hi-Yo, Silver!" the Lone Ranger solidified his role as America's favorite hero of the Wild West. Mounted atop a white stallion, he remains a steadfast symbol for truth and justice, capturing the hearts and imaginations of generations of fans. Celebrate the Lone Ranger's 75th anniversary with this 13-disc collector's edition DVD, featuring seasons 1 & 2 of the original TV series.

Extras:

My Thoughts:
Wikipedia Link for The Lone Ranger TV Series

Genre: Television, Western
Last Watched: not since a child

This was a great purchase.  Although it is only the first 2 seasons, this edition contains a lot of extras which really makes it payoff.  But even without the  extras this would be great.  It is one of the times that I am not disappointed with the difference between memories and reality.  A great western of its day with simply stories and even simpler acting/directing.  Although I wont say it takes me back to a simpler time .. i will say that it was a great
indication of taking a radio program ( I wonder if anyone remembers those but me :) ) and making a TV show.  And a great view into the psyche of the time period in America.  Before the hustle and bustle of the late 50s early 60's.

Stories that relay some *morality*.  Right is Right and wrong should not be tolerated.  From Wikipedia ...

As generally depicted, the Lone Ranger conducts himself by a strict moral code based on that put in place by Striker at the inception of the character. Actors Clayton Moore[6] and Jay Silverheels[citation needed] both took their positions as role models to children very seriously and tried their best to live by this creed. It reads:

I believe...

That to have a friend, a man must be one.

That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.

That God put the firewood there, but that every man must gather and light it himself.

In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for what is right.

That a man should make the most of what equipment he has.

That 'this government of the people, by the people, and for the people' shall live always.

That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.

That sooner or later...somewhere...somehow...we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.

That all things change but truth, and that truth alone, lives on forever.

In my Creator, my country, my fellow man.[16]

In addition, Fran Striker and George W. Trendle drew up the following guidelines that embody who and what the Lone Ranger is[citation needed]:

The Lone Ranger is never seen without his mask or a disguise.

With emphasis on logic, The Lone Ranger is never captured or held for any length of time by lawmen, avoiding his being unmasked.

The Lone Ranger always uses perfect grammar and precise speech completely devoid of slang and colloquial phrases, at all times.

When he has to use guns, The Lone Ranger never shoots to kill, but rather only to disarm his opponent as painlessly as possible.

Logically, too, The Lone Ranger never wins against hopeless odds; i.e., he is never seen escaping from a barrage of bullets merely by riding into the horizon.

Even though The Lone Ranger offers his aid to individuals or small groups, the ultimate objective of his story never fails to imply that their benefit is only a by-product of a greater achievement—the development of the west or our country. His adversaries are usually groups whose power is such that large areas are at stake.

Adversaries are never other than American to avoid criticism from minority groups. There were exceptions to this rule. He sometimes battled foreign agents, though their nation of origin was generally not named. One exception was helping the Mexican Juarez against French troops of Emperor Maximilian, as occurred in radio episodes such as "Supplies for Juarez" (18 September 1939), "Hunted by Legionnaires" (20 September 1939) and "Lafitte's Reinforcements" (22 September 1939).

Names of unsympathetic characters are carefully chosen, never consisting of two names if it can be avoided, to avoid even further vicarious association—more often than not, a single nickname is selected.

The Lone Ranger never drinks or smokes and saloon scenes are usually interpreted as cafes, with waiters and food instead of bartenders and liquor.

Criminals are never shown in enviable positions of wealth or power, and they never appear as successful or glamorous.

Reid decides to use only silver bullets, to remind himself that life, too, is precious and, like his silver bullets, not to be wasted or thrown away.[citation needed]

It is a good watch
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:18:23 PM by DSig »
Thank you
David