Author Topic: Buffy the Vampire Slayer  (Read 17706 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
« on: January 12, 2013, 08:43:11 PM »
OK you can say I've lost my mind since I just end watching it last week, but I feel like watching it again so sue me :laugh:

Anyway while I was watching I found that I have most of the time some things to say after an episode. So this where I'll do it ;D

I will start with the movie since it's been years since I've watched it and I'll go from there untill the end of the show.

Special note :
It's completly possible that I will write some spoilers but I won't bother about the spoiler tag as almost everybody here had watched the show anyway...

I hope to see people comments about what I'll say whatever you agree or not.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 11:20:23 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992)

Genre: Horror / Comedy
Director: Fran Rubel Kuzui
Rating: PG-13
Length: 1h25
Video: Widescreen
Audio: English
Subtitles: English and Spanish

Stars:
Kristy Swanson
Donald Sutherland   
Rutger Hauer
Luke Perry
Paul Reubens

Plot:
Blonde, bouncy Buffy (KRISTY SWANSON) is your typical high school cheerleader - her goal is to "marry Christian Slater and die" and nothing gets in her way when it's time to shop. But all that changes when a strange man (DONALD SUTHERLAND) informs her she's been chosen by fate to kill vampires. With the help of a romantic rebel (LUKE PERRY), Buffy is soon spending school nights protecting L.A. from Lothos, the Vampire King (RUTGER HAUER), his sidekick, Lefty (PAUL REUBENS), and their determined gang of bloodsuckers. It's everything you'd expect from a teen queen in the Valley.

My Thoughts:
That movie sure didn't age well, funny thing to say as this movie was good in my memory. Seriously the comedy aspect is forced and by time extremely juvenile (the death of Pee-Wee Herman is a perfect exemple of this), the fighting flow is slow and don't look convincing, the vampire look is ridiculous (they are supposed to fit in the crowd not to look like leprechauns with plastic teeth), the eighties "valley girls" speech is hard to stand (you want to listen how annoying that speech is just go on youtube and search for the hit song by Moon Unit Zappa), the killing effects seem unfinish (the TV show is responsible of this I know, but nothing happen after a slaying) and Lothos for such an old and tough vampire is incredibly easy to kill...

But on the positive side I like the interaction between Kristy Swanson and Donald Sutherland... this is the only positive I can thing of, unless we count the cover of Go West's We Close Our Eyes that Susanna Hoff do at the end...

Rating :

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 11:30:27 PM »
Kristy Swanson is the reason for me that this movie is worthwhile to watch.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 11:36:54 PM »
Perhaps it's because you've watched the tv show now? I know I felt the film lost a little appeal after such a good show.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 12:22:12 AM »
Probably... at least part of my critics are related to how the show is : the effects, the non subtil in your face comedy, the bland acting, the slow fight scene, ....

Kristy Swanson did a good job in this, at least she seem to care contrary to most of the cast.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 04:07:04 AM »

Episodes:
1. Welcome to the Hellmouth
2. The Harvest
3. Witch
4. Teacher's Pet
5. Never Kill a Boy on the First Date
6. The Pack
7. Angel
8. I Robot... You Jane
9. The Puppet Show
10. Nightmares
11. Out of Mind, Out of Sight
12. Prophecy Girl

Cast
Sarah Michelle Gellar.......Buffy
Nicholas Brendon...........Xander
Alyson Hannigan............Willow
Charisma Carpenter........Cordelia
Anthony Head...............Giles
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 04:15:47 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 04:34:05 AM »
1.1 Welcome to the Hellmouth

Buffy Summers, a high school sophomore, transfers to Sunnydale High. There she meets her new "Watchers" and learns she cannot escape her true destiny.

Right from the start we see that we are in for something different than usual. This is the introduction of the show where we meet all the principal characters without going in long unecessary explanations and details. There is some connections with the precedent movie but more with what he should have been than what it was. In that first episode we got already what hooked me to that serie: a good mix of real life drama (the fear of the first day at a new school), good action and subtil comedy.

It's a two parts episodes so we are left with a good cliffhanger.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 06:27:40 AM »
1.2. The Harvest

A stranger named Angel tells Buffy that if she does not stop The Harvest, the Hellmouth will open and The Master will run free.

It's like no pression at all, fail and it's the end of the world... not that I will be the first apocalypse coming to Sunnydale. So in this episode we see more of Angel without learning that much about who he is, except that he is a mysterious helping guy. Now it's time to know what the harvest is all about and, of course being a vampire theme show, it is to shed the more blood possible to free The Master of his "cage". In this episode we see the Scooby Gang working together for the first time, even if Buffy doesn't want their physical help. The mood is darker in that second part but we got some great line again and Cordelia is sure great in her bitchy way.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 03:37:10 PM »
Glad to see this thread started. I will be reading it through-out.

While I definitely feel the series is much better then the preceding film... I still enjoy watching the film as well.

I felt the 2 part pilot was a great start to the series. Love all the characters as well. I just hope this thread don't get me in the mood for the series again.  As I just recently watched the entire series as well.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 04:05:49 PM »
You can always say that you haven't just end watching the complete serie 5 days ago :whistle:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 04:08:04 PM »
 :laugh: This is true! maybe a month ago.  :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 04:12:27 PM »
1.3. Witch

In an effort to inject some normalcy into her life Buffy tries-out for the cheerleading squad - only to discover the competition wants her dead..

Not a favorite of mine, but not that surprising since as a French Canadian I don't get what is the big deal with cheerleading and high school. But it's the introduction of Amy that we will see here and there trough the years and Buffy is in real danger this time. The main idea of this episode sure felt like a reversal of many movies I have seen in the eighties...

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »
You can always say that you haven't just end watching the complete serie 5 days ago :whistle:

:o OMG I've created a monster.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 04:51:10 PM »
 :laugh:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »

:o OMG I've created a monster.
That gives me something to do while waiting my order for the last four seasons of Angel. I'm suppose to get it at the end of the month...