Author Topic: January Marathon: A-Z TV Shows  (Read 7037 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: January Marathon: A-Z TV Shows
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2013, 08:14:27 PM »
     Cleopatra 2525: The Complete Series: Disc 1

1. Quest For Firepower
Hel and Sarge, two warriors in the year 2525, rescue Cleopatra, an aspiring actress who awakens from a cryogenic deep freeze after more than five centuries to find the world literally turned upside down.

2. Creegan
Hel, Sarge and Cleopatra must prevent the evil Creegan from purging Mauser of top secret information.

Stars:
Gina Torres as Helen/'Hel'
Victoria Pratt as Sarge/'Rose'
Jennifer Sky as Cleopatra/'Cleo'
Patrick Kake as Mauser

My Thoughts:
I just finished watching the first 2 episodes on this disc. No this isn't what I would call great TV... but it is none the less quite a bit of fun. That is watching it for what it is... silly, cheesy Sci-Fi fun.  One that features 3 hot women for eye candy. I decided to cut my watching short (only watched 2 episodes) mainly because I am so far behind in this marathon. Not anything to do with not enjoying it.... I could have watched a few more episodes easily enough. This is not something I would suggest for a sci-fi show to take seriously.... but if you want some cheesy fun and some eye candy then this is the ticket.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 08:26:42 PM »
D's
Here is what I have to choose from for the letter "D"...

21 series to choose from... and I have absolutely no idea what I may watch yet this time.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 08:28:32 PM »
I would be interested to hear your thoughts on "A Different World". I am still waiting for further seasons. I enjoyed this series, when it aired on German television.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 10:03:12 PM by Tom »

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 08:48:23 PM »
If you haven't yet .. watch Due South.  It is another great show with a good cast following (though most important here is the fun/good writing) in the foot steps of Northern Exposure. 4+ thumbs up  :)
Thank you
David

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 08:51:07 PM »
You probably watched it not long ago, but is Dollhouse a serie worthy of a future blind buy?

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 08:56:17 PM »
Sure you weren't asking me but  ;D  I think it is.  Is is an odd duck but has some very good episodes an good acting.  Like many series of it's type it needed more episodes to either find it's real self OR to creatively kill itself.  But like many of its type, Fox seemed to not want to give it the time.  Better to air some of the other crap on fox than this  :weep:.  Yeah .. worth the purchase and watch.
Thank you
David

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 09:04:15 PM »
Thanks David, I'll put it in my wishlist...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »
If you haven't yet .. watch Due South

He did.
Pete, I am still waiting for you to finish this marathon ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 09:57:59 PM »
You probably watched it not long ago, but is Dollhouse a serie worthy of a future blind buy?

I liked it a lot... and lots of Eliza Dushku eye candy in it as well.... she is very hot in this one.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 09:59:55 PM »
If you haven't yet .. watch Due South

He did.
Pete, I am still waiting for you to finish this marathon ;)

omg... yes I know.  :bag: While I really enjoyed the first half of the series I am having a time trying to get through the second half.  :bag:

BTW... I started the first disc of A Different World:)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2013, 12:23:03 AM »
     A Different World: Season One: Disc 1

1. Reconciliable Differences
It's Denise's first year at Hillman and her first time away from home. She takes up residencein Gilbert Hall and immediately clashes with her assigned roommate, Juleesa Vinson, Ever tidy Juleesa simply cannot deal with the messes Denise creates. Denise quickly takes her que and switches roommates. This time, Denise ends up with Whitley Gilbert, a.k.a. the "Mouth of the South." Again, Denise clashes, but somehow Whitely makes Jaleesa look good. It's Denise's first test of the year: How to switch back to living with Jaleesa without ruffling Whitley's feathers.

2. Pilot
The reality of college life kicks into high gear for Denise. She runs into a financial crisis at Hillman: Not only is she unable to pay her dorm fees, she must also pay Jaleesa's. Denise wants to solve the problem without leaning on Dad. Meanwhile a new roommate enters the picture, Maggie Lauten (Marisa Tomei), a chatterbox of a transfer student. In the end, Denise has no choice but to call home for help. Cliff (Bill Cosby) and Rudy Huxtable (Keshia Knight-Pulliam) make special guest appearances to help Denise smooth things out.

3. Porky De Borgerac
tidy Jaleesa is elected dorm monitor and decides to impose some strict penalties for slovenly behavior, especially on litterbugs. Those caught littering must wear a pig nose for the entire day as punishment. Denise lends Jaleesa her hole-hearted support until she's the one caught littering. It just so happens Denise must wear the pig nose on the day of her first date with an important crush. Denise panics. Will Jaleesa let her friend off the hook, or will Denise be forced "nose-first" into making a very odd first impression?

4. Those Who Can't....Tutor
There's no way Denise is going to make the grade in math without a tutor. Enter "King Calculus" himself, Dwayne Wayne. Denise is leary but then surprised as Dwayne turns out to be an excellent teacher. In fact Dwayne's teaching skills are so effective that he and Denise become completely wrapped up in their studies and fail to notice that Dwayne has stayed past dorm curfew. Dwayne attempts to sneak out through Whitley's window, but gets caught in the act. Eyebrows are raised and all suspicion points to Dwayne and Whitley. only Denise knows the truth and only she can save Whitley's reputation, but will she?

5. War Of The Words
It's the great Hillman debat on women's rights. Maggie, with Denise on her side, argues that women can have a career and family. Whitley, on the other hand, feels Maggie's position is rediculous. On the sidelines, Dwayne wants to be the next new DJ at the campus radio station. In order to land the gig he has to do his own show, so he decides to broadcast the great debate with himself as commentator. Both sides gear up for the moment of truth when Maggie's boyfriend proposes marriage. He asks her to leave Hillman and go to Washington, D.C., where he has landed a great new job. Suddenly Maggie is wavering on the very issues she is about to debate. When the moment of truth comes, Maggie uses the debate as a forum to tell her boyfriend that she can't give up everything that she's been working for. Denise surprises everyone with her public speaking skills, and her rebuttal cinches the debate for them.

6. Rudy And The Snow Queen
Rudy Huxtable (Keshia Knight-Pulliam) visits her elder sister Denise, at Hillman College Rudy unexpectedly becomes fast friends with, of all people, Whitely, and even begins to pick up many of Whitley's affected mannerisms along the way. Denise is not at all happy with the prospect of her sister becoming mini-Whitley, not to mention her jealousy of Rudy's affection for her nemesis. Meanwhile, Jaleesa also deals with the pangs of jealousy when she hears her ex-husband has made moves on her younger sister. How will Denise and Jaleesa deal with their respective shades of green?

7. Sometimes You Get The Bear, Sometimes The Bear Gets You
Denise, Jaleesa and Maggie plan to out do the men of Hillman College by becoming the first women ever to pull off the traditional Homecoming prank, by swiping the other team's mascot costume. The girl's plan takes on an interesting twist when Denise's grandfather pays a visit to the campus. What the girls don't know is that Grandpa Huxtable has come to Hillman to pull off the very same prank.

8. If Chosen, I May Not Run
Denise enjoys running from class to class, no problem. She doesn't think of running as exercise, and so she decides to become the third generation of running Huxtables at Hillman College by joining the track team. What's in store for Denise, aka "The Little Engine," down the track? To her delight, she earns the affection of a fellow male track star and amazes her peers. To her dismay, she's a bit surprised by the intense physical demands required to stay on the team. Has she got what it takes to carry on the running Huxtable legacy at Hillman? Is the thrill of victory worth the agony of her feet?

Stars:
Lisa Bonet as Denise Huxtable
Marisa Tomei as Maggie Lauten
Dawnn Lewis as Jaleesa Vinson
Jasmine Guy as Whitley Marion Gilbert

My Thoughts:
This is a show I haven't seen in many years. One that I enjoyed quite a bit. It is a very good spin-off from The Cosby Show. One thing I like is the guest appearances of other characters from The Cosby Show. In the episodes of the first disc alone we got to see Rudy and Cliff on more then one episode... then there was Denise's grandfather Russell Huxtable. If you are a fan of The Cosby Show... and somehow never got to see this series... I definitely recommend it. I know I couldn't stop watching till I finished off the entire disc. And then felt like continue watching this season 1 set. Unfortunately none of the other seasons has been released yet.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2013, 12:37:59 AM »
E's
Here is what I have to choose from for the letter "E"...

4 series to choose from... but this time I already know what I will be watching I already told my daughter we could watch some Eerie Indiana together.
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2013, 12:39:29 AM »
Eerie Indiana is beyond awesome. :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2013, 02:09:06 AM »
     Eerie Indiana

Referred to as "a stylistic break-through" by USA Today, "cutting edge comedy" by The Hollywood Reporter and "Original and funny" by The New York Times, this landmark television series from 1991 comes to DVD for the first time with three original episodes. Follow the lives of Marshal and Simon as thier travels through the town of Eerie, Indiana take them on a series of incredible adventures. See for yourself why TV Guide advised it's readers "Don't miss this!"

Episodes:
Forever Ware
The Retainer
ATM With A Heart Of Gold

Stars:
Omri Katz as Marshall Teller
Justin Shenkarow as Simon Holmes
Mary-Margaret Humes as Marilyn Teller
Francis Guinan as Edgar Teller
Julie Condra as Syndi Teller

My Thoughts:
This is a series something like Goosebumps where it is a series for kids that are in the thriller genre. But in this case instead of an anthology series we have a regular cast. A couple kids discovering and investigating all the weird happenings in the town they live in. While it is geared towards kids... there is enough here to keep an adult's attention as well.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2013, 02:17:49 AM »
F's
Here is what I have to choose from for the letter "F"...

13 series to choose from... Not sure which I will watch yet.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:20:23 AM by addicted2dvd »
Pete