Author Topic: Addicted2dvd's 25 Days of Christmas Marathon: 2012  (Read 10309 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Addicted2dvd's 25 Days of Christmas Marathon: 2012
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 10:43:38 PM »
You forgot to put Love Actually in your Christmas list again.   :P
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »
I forgot to mark it as a Christmas movie (and never seen it yet) so it slipped my mind. but Imarked it as a Christmas movie in Profiler now... so all good now.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 11:15:53 AM »
     Friends: Season 6, Episode 10: The One with the Routine

Joey, Ross and Monica attend a taping of 'Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve'. Joey has special plans for his roommate Janine at the midnight hour.

Stars:
Jennifer Aniston as Rachel Green
Courteney Cox Arquette as Monica Geller
Lisa Kudrow as Phoebe Buffay
Matt Le Blanc as Joey Tribbiani
Matthew Perry as Chandler Bing
David Schwimmer as Ross Geller

My Thoughts:
I watched this episode last night... but didn't get the chance to post it till this morning. Going by the above plot...you wouldn't think this one was a Christmas episode. But the second storyline of the plot is. Where Rachel, Pheobe and a reluctant Chandler search for the Christmas presents Monica got them. I never cared much for the character Janine (played by Elle MacPherson) who moved in with Joey right after Chandler moved in with Monica. But she only lasted 5 episodes... so it isn't too bad. Over-all a fun episode...worth the time to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 04:35:25 PM »
Does anyone have a good list of 'Christmas' (holiday) movies?
Thank you
David

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 04:57:01 PM »
     Friends: Season 7, Episode 11: The One with the Holiday Armadillo

Ross wants to introduce son Ben to Chanukah. In order to entice Rachel to move back into their refurbished apartment, Phoebe must drive a wedge between Rachel and current roomy Joey.

Stars:
Courteney Cox Arquette as Monica Geller
Matt Le Blanc as Joey Tribbiani

My Thoughts:
Another fun Christmas episode. I really enjoyed both storylines in this episode. Definitely recommended.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 07:15:59 AM »
Thank you
David

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 04:22:05 PM »
    A Very Brady Christmas (1988/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |
Director:Peter Baldwin
Writing:Sherwood Schwartz (Writer), Lloyd J. Schwartz (Writer)
Length:100 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Florence Henderson as Carol Brady
Robert Reed as Mike Brady
Ann B. Davis as Alice
Maureen McCormick as Marcia
Eve Plumb as Jan
Jennifer Runyon as Cindy
Barry Williams as Greg
Christopher Knight as Peter
Michael Lookinland as Bobby

Plot:
Mike and Carol Brady decide to spend their savings on bringing their kids and relatives in for the holidays, but the kids are having their own problems: Greg (now a doctor) has to make the trip alone since his wife Nora is spending the holidays with her family; Peter is embarrassed to bring his girlfriend home since she is his boss; Bobby is hiding the fact that he dropped out of business grad school to race cars; Marcia's husband, Wally, has been laid off from his job at Tyler Toys; Jan and stuffy husband Phillip are separating; and Cindy is tired of the fact that mom and dad can't respect her as a grown woman. Just another day in the life of the Bradys.

Extras:
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I felt a bit nostalgic this morning... so decided to pull this one out. For some reason I like the Brady Bunch reunion movies more then I do the actual series. This one in particular. For some reason this movie gets me in the mood for Christmas. Something that has been difficult for me the past several years. Seeing a large family celebrating Christmas reminds me of my childhood Holidays where I was the youngest child of a large family. It was fun to see most of the cast back after all the years that past. All but Susan Olsen (Cindy) returned for this film. The reunion movies is the main reason I bought the complete series set... instead of the individual seasons. Since that is the only way to get them. Over-all this is just a fun reminder of my childhood.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:28:35 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 07:42:47 PM »
     The Polar Express (2004/)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Warner Bros. Entertainment, Warner Home Video
Director:Robert Zemeckis
Writing:Robert Zemeckis (Screenwriter), William Broyles, Jr. (Screenwriter), Chris Van Allsburg (Original Material By)
Length:100 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Tom Hanks as Hero Boy (Voice)
Tom Hanks as Father (Voice)
Leslie Zemeckis as Sister Sarah (Voice)
Leslie Zemeckis as Mother (Voice)
Tom Hanks as Conductor (Voice)
Eddie Deezen as Know-it-All (Voice)

Plot:
Get up, get on, and get ready for the ride of your life! It's Christmas Eve, and you're about to roller-coaster up and down mountains, slip-slide over ice fields, teeter across mile-high bridges and be served hot chocolate by singing waiters more astonishing than any you can imagine. You're on The Polar Express!

Tom Hanks stars in and Robert Zemeckis directs this instant holiday classic filmed in dazzling performance-capture animation that makes every moment magical. "Seeing is believing," says a mysterious hobo who rides the rails with you. You'll see wonders. And you'll believe. All aboooooard!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Brittany and I decided to watch this one together today.... for the second year in a row. We both enjoyed this one quite a bit. I can easily see it becoming a yearly tradition to watch it hopefully together for quite some time to come. I really liked the look of the computer generated animation. And the story kept my interest through-out. I would say it is definitely worth the time put in to watch this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 09:44:38 PM »
     The Real Ghostbusters: Season 1, Episode 13 X-Mas Marks the Spot

In X-Mas Marks the Spot, zapped back in time to 1837 England, the Ghostbusters unknowingly trap the ghosts of Christmas, thereby saving Ebeneezer Scrooge from his scheduled rehabilitation. The future is changed, and they must go back in time to change it back, while Egon makes an even more frightening trip... into the Containment Unit.

My Thoughts:
This episode is an entertaining idea for a Christmas episode. Actually it is an obvious story to tell. I really liked how they did it.  Both Brittany and I enjoyed watching it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 10:01:53 PM »
     Spectacular Spider Man: Season 2 - Reinforcements

Mysterio and Kraven join the ranks of the Sinister Six (including Sandman, Rhino, Vulture and Electro) in an attempt to capture Spider-Man once and for all.

My Thoughts:
while I don't care for how they changed up some of the characters for this series (especially Kraven the Hunter) I really did enjoy this episode. Both Britt and I found it so hilarious when Spidey was trying to banter with the Sinister Six but couldn't talk straight because he burnt his tongue on hot chocolate. This is a Christmas episode... but Christmas really is just a backdrop of the episode... the storyline really has nothing to do with Christmas. But that is ok.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 01:35:43 AM »
     Miracle on 34th Street (1947/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:George Seaton
Writing:George Seaton (Screenwriter), Valentine Davies (Story By)
Length:96 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Maureen O'Hara as Doris Walker
John Payne (1912) as Fred Gailey
Edmund Gwenn as Kris Kringle
Gene Lockhart as Judge Harper
Natalie Wood (1938) as Susan Walker
Porter Hall as Mr. Sawyer

Plot:
Miracle on 34th Street is an irresistible fable that has, for many, become synonymous with celebrating Christmas.

The holiday season is in full swing when a cultured gentleman with twinkling eyes, an ample belly, and a snowy beard (Edmund Gwenn) is hired as Macy's department store Santa. He claims his name is Kris Kringle, and soon fills everyone with Christmas spirit - except for his boss, Doris Walker (Maureen O'Hara), who's raising her daughter Susan (Natalie Wood) to not believe in Santa. But when Kris is declared insane and put on trial, everyone's faith is put to the test as old and young alike face the age old question: Do you believe in Santa Claus?

An Academy Award® winner (1947) for Best Supporting Actor (Edmund Gwenn), Best Original Story and Best Screenplay, this timeless tale of faith, love and imagination remains one of the most popular and best-loved holiday films of all time.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
A friend of mine gave me this DVD 6 years ago. At that time I never seen it before. But now I am sure to watch it every year at this time. And I seem to enjoy it more each time I watch it. This one is a true holiday classic. One I believe everyone must see at least once. If you never seen this one.... please give it a chance... I am sure you won't be sorry. I couldn't recommend it any higher!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2012, 06:08:26 PM »
     Friends: Season 9, Episode 10: The One with Christmas in Tulsa

Chandler must stay in Tulsa over Christmas due to work deadlines. Monica suspects the worst when she learns that his beautiful co-worker Wendy will join him.

Stars:
Courteney Cox Arquette as Monica Geller-Bing
Matt LeBlanc as Joey Tribbiani

My Thoughts:
Another Christmas episode of Friends. While still a good episode... I liked the previous ones a little more. I think this is mainly because this one is a clip show...meaning I already recently seen half the scenes in this one. Still well worth watching.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 10:46:10 PM »
     Christmas Treats

Delicious Holiday Classics from 9 of your favorite TV Comedies.

The Beverly Hillbillies
Christmas at the Clampetts
Original Airdate: 12/25/63
Christmas brings great cheer for the Clampetts along with lots of fancy gifts from the Drysdales that has got this country clan totally mystified.

The Lucy Show
Together for Christmas
Original Airdate: 12/24/62
Lucy wants turkey; Vivian wants goose. When the Carmichaels and the Bagleys spend their first Christmas together, no one can agree on the traditions.

Petticoat Junction
Cannonball Christmas
Original Airdate: 12/24/63
Bedloe is a real Scrooge for visiting Hooterville during the holidays. He even has a court order to take control of the train, threatening to ruin Christmas.

Happy Days
Richie Branches Out
Original Airdate: 12/7/76
Richie (Ron Howard) goes to extremes to receive his Christmas wish: to meet the Wisconsin Cola poster girl.

Laverne & Shirley
O Come All Ye Bums
Original Airdate: 12/19/78
Laverne (Penny Marshal) and Shirley (Cindy Williams) raise money to save the annual Pizza Bowl Christmas Dinner for the less fortunate.

Mork & Mindy
Mork's First Christmas
Original Airdate: 12/13/78
Mork (Robin Williams) is overwhelmed by his first Christmas experience until his friends show him the true meaning of the season.

The Odd Couple
Scrooge Gets An Oscar
Original Airdate: 12/17/70
Oscar Ousts Felix, and in a nightmarish version of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol," sees himself as Ebenezer Madison, haunted by his past misdeeds.

Cheers
The Spy Who Came In For A Cold One
Original Airdate: 12/16/82
An Englishman visits Cheers and tells tall tales of being a World War II spy. Everyone is impressed except Diane (Shelley Long).

Love, American Style
One Segment Intitled:
Love And The Christmas Punch
Original Airdate: 12/17/72
Christmas Eve has never been this fun or sexy when this segment of "Love, American Style" takes over, with hilarious slapstick results.

My Thoughts:
Over the last 2 days I watched all the episodes on this disc....except for The Odd Couple which I already watched earlier this month. What can I say... I was in a bit of a nostalgic mood. I really did enjoy watching these episodes. I haven't seen some of these shows in a very long time. This is a nice little Christmas collection that they put together. I recommend picking up this DVD if you enjoy Christmas episodes of your favorite TV series.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 11:07:29 PM »
     Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (1964/United States)

Genius Entertainment
Director:Larry Roemer
Writing:Romeo Muller (Writer), Robert May (Story By)
Length:52 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Burl Ives as Narrator: Sam the Snowman (Voice)
Larry Mann as Yukon Cornelius (Voice)
Billy Richards as Rudolph (Voice)
Paul Soles as Hermey the Elf (Voice)
Stan Francis as Santa Claus (Voice)
Alfie Scopp as Head Elf / Other Elves / Jeering Reindee (Voice)

Plot:
The tale of the most famous reindeer of all, Rudolph, is told in this classic Rankin & Bass special. Rudolph and his shiny nose are at first shunned from the community, but when a dense fog threatens to ground Santa and his sleigh full of toys for children, it's Rudolph and his shiny nose to the rescue!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This one is definitely a holiday classic. Well worth the time put in to watch it. I really liked the storyline... but I must say that there is a little too much music in it for my taste. Going into it I actually forgot just how much music there was in this one. Still... a must see for the holiday season!

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete