Author Topic: Addicted2dvd's 25 Days of Christmas Marathon: 2012  (Read 10312 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Addicted2dvd's 25 Days of Christmas Marathon: 2012
« on: November 28, 2012, 06:20:28 PM »

With only a few days left... I thought it was about time to set this thread up...

It is once again time for my annual 25 Days of  Marathon. Every year between Dec. 1st and Dec. 25th I am sure to watch at least 1 Christmas Movie, 1 Christmas episode or  1 Christmas Special per day.

The way I think I will do it this year... is for the most part... I will continue watching as I normally do. That is TV Show during the the week (Mon. - Thurs.) and Movies during the weekend (Fri. - Sun.)... though there will be exceptions as the mood hits. The Christmas Specials will be thrown in there at any time the mood hits.

My Christmas Collection:

Movies:
Specials:
  1. An Angel for Christmas (Animated)
   2. Black Christmas
   3. Black Xmas
   4. A Christmas Story
   5. The Christmas Tree (Animated)
   6. A Christmas Without Snow
   7. Don't Open Till Christmas
   8. Elf
   9. Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer
  10. Gremlins
  11. Home Alone
  12. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
  13. It's a Wonderful Life
  14. Jingle All the Way
  15. Miracle on 34th Street (original)
  16. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
  17. The Nightmare Before Christmas
  18. Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
  19. The Santa Clause
  20. The Santa Clause 2
  21. Scrooge (1935)
  22. Silent Night, Bloody Night
  23. A Very Brady Christmas
  24. Beyond Tomorrow
  25. The Great Rupert
  26. Little Women: Jo's Story
  27. Little Women: Meg's Story
  28. The Littlest Angel
  29. Miracle on 34th Street (1955)
  30. The Nativity
  31. The Pilgrimage Play
  32. Santa Claus
  33. Christmas Evil
  34. The Family Stone
  35. The Polar Express
  36. The Good Witch's Wedding
  37. Christmas with the Kranks
  38. Disney's A Christmas Carol
  39. Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause
  40. The Search for Santa Paws
  41. Thomas Kinkade's Christmas Cottage
  1. Cricket on the Hearth
   2. Frosty the Snowman
   3. Frosty Returns
   4. Frosty's Winter Wonderland (Britt's)
   5. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Animated)
   6. Jack Frost (Animated)
   7. Jeff Dunham's Very Special Christmas Special
   8. The Little Drummer Boy
   9. Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol
  10. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
  11. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and the Island of Misfit Toys (Britt's)
  12. Santa Claus is Coming to Town
  13. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas (Britt's)

TV Episodes:
Way to many to list here! I have up over 200 Christmas episodes for probably over 100 TV series. New and old series alike. There is no way I could possibly watch them all in one month! Just as a sample... here is some series I am looking forward to watching the Christmas episodes of...

- 8 Simple Rules
- The Addams Family
- Bewitched
- The Big Bang Theory
- Bones
- The Dick Van Dyke Show
- Everybody loves Raymond
- Friends
- Ghost Whisperer
- Home Improvement
- House, MD
- JAG
- The King of Queens
- M*A*S*H
- Married with Children
- That '70s Show

So I should have plenty to watch this coming month... but even with that... I am talking to my friend.. the one I been trading with to see what Christmas movies they have available.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:50:11 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Addicted2dvd's 25 Days of Christmas Marathon: 2012
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 02:52:04 AM »
I already started with Christmas movies this year..I watched Christmas Vacation last night.   :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 07:51:42 PM »
I just updated my movie list with the Christmas films I am getting this month...

Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 05:51:13 AM »
I need to look and see for sure how many Christmas movies I have.  I know in the past I've considered some Christmas movies that many other don't..like Die Hard and Lethal Weapon because they take place on or around Christmas.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 01:42:08 PM »
     Amazing Stories: Season 1, Episode 11: Santa '85

Kris Kringle's Christmas is rudely interrupted when he lands in the clink with a bunch of bogus Santas after tripping a home burglar alarm, and his only hope of deliverance is the passionate belief of an eight-year-old boy.

Stars:
Douglas Seale as Santa Claus
Pat Hingle as Sheriff Horace Smyvie
Gabriel Damon as Bobby Mynes
Marvin J. McIntyre as Deputy Weatherby
Frances Bay as Mrs. Santa Claus

My Thoughts:
I caught this one on xfinity Streampix (On-Demand).... which has every episode (2 seasons) of Amazing Stories. It has been years since I seen any episode of this series. This was a decent start for my marathon. I did enjoy the episode, but I have seen better Christmas stories. Though I do have to admit I did enjoy the escape from jail.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »
     Home Alone (1990/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Chris Columbus
Writing:John Hughes (1950) (Writer)
Length:103 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Macaulay Culkin as Kevin
Joe Pesci as Harry
Daniel Stern as Marv
John Heard as Peter
Roberts Blossom as Marley
Catherine O'Hara as Kate

Plot:
Eight-year-old Kevin McCallister (Macaulay Culkin) has become the man of the house, overnight! Accidentally left behind when his family rushes off on a Christmas vacation, Kevin gets busy decorating the house for the holidays. But he's not decking the halls with tinsel and holly. Two bumbling burglars are trying to break in, and Kevin's rigging a bewildering battery of booby traps to welcome them!

Written and produced by John Hughes ("101 Dalmatians"), this madcap slapstick adventure features an all-star supporting cast including Catherine O’Hara and John Heard as Kevin’s parents, Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern as the burglars, and John Candy ("Planes, Trains and Automobiles") as the "Polka King of the Midwest."

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
I told Britt to pick a movie for us to watch... and this is what she picked. It is an enjoyable movie with a nice amount of laughs in it. Definitely worth the time put in to watch it... but it is one of those cases where I seen it so many times over the years it did loose a little something. There isn't anything bad about it... just one of those deals where I pretty much know the entire film by heart.... no surprises left in it for me what so ever. Though it is still fun to watch... especially if you are watching it with someone else.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 08:58:44 PM »
     Jeff Dunham's Very Special Christmas Special (2008/United States)

Image Entertainment
Director:Michael Simon
Length:85 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Jeff Dunham as Himself
Brian Haner as Himself (Guitar Guy)

Plot:
Jeff Dunham invites Walter, Peanut, Bubba J, José Jalapeño and Achmed the Dead Terrorist to join him on his first holiday special. Unfortunately, his suitcase posse doesn't quite share the same Christmas spirit—and the result is a one-of-a-kind live event unlike any yuletide celebration you've ever seen!

Dunham whose first two television specials drew record ratings multimillion DVD sales and over 200 million views on websites worldwide, brings together all-new material and for the first time, original songs and stories guaranteed to become instant classics: from Achmed's "Jingle Bombs" to Bubba J's "Roadkill Christmas" to Peanut's version of "The Night Before Christmas."

Destined to become a treasured holiday favorite!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
This one I watched with Britt and my brother. This Christmas special is always a lot of fun to watch... something I have watched every December since I first got this DVD. This one is filled with lots of laugh out loud moments. I really do enjoy all the characters that Jeff does... but I think my favorite has to be Achmed the Dead Terrorist. If you never watched Jeff Dunham before.... I suggest giving him a chance. Don't let the fact that he is a ventriloquist deter you from giving it a shot.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 02:12:22 PM »
     A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas (2011/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |
Warner Home Video
Director:Todd Strauss-Schulson
Writing:Jon Hurwitz (Writer), Hayden Schlossberg (Writer), Jon Hurwitz (Original Characters By), Hayden Schlossberg (Original Characters By)
Length:90 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.39:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Patton Oswalt as Mall Santa
Isabella Gielniak as Caren
Kal Penn as Kumar
Austin Bickel as Kid in Line
Inga Wilson as Mom in Line
John Cho as Harold

Plot:
High holy days are here again, only a little higher and a lot less holy. After years of drifting apart, Harold and Kumar reunite when a prize Christmas tree accidentally goes up in smoke. Rather than come clean to his crazy in-laws, Harold opts to get dirty as he and Kumar embark on a dope holiday adventure to find the perfect replacement tree. On the way, the two find song, dance and the true spirit of Christmas. And they just might meet a mythical figure back from the dead: the one, the only...Neil Patrick Harris.

My Thoughts:
I watched this one on On-Demand. It really isn't my normal type of comedy... but it has a few decent laughs in it. Though it does get over the top at times.  I was told by several people that the Harold and Kumar movies are hilarious. To me... not so much. But maybe that is because this (3rd) one is the first of their movies I ever seen. Over-all... it has it's moments but I was expecting much more.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 04:47:47 PM »
     Friends: Season 4, Episode 10: The One with the Girl from Poughkeepsie

Ross debates whether to date a faraway beauty or a less desirable woman who lives nearby. Chandler tries to set up a date for Rachel with some co-workers.

Stars:
Jennifer Aniston as Rachel Green
Courteney Cox as Monica Geller
Lisa Kudrow as Phoebe Buffay
Matt Le Blanc as Joey Tribbiani
Matthew Perry as Chandler Bing
David Schwimmer as Ross Geller

My Thoughts:
Just came across this episode while watching my season 4 DVDs. It is a fun episode... though Christmas isn't really much more then a backdrop for the episode.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 01:03:30 AM »
     The Santa Clause: Widescreen (1994/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Walt Disney Home Video, Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Director:John Pasquin
Writing:Leo Benvenuti (Writer), Steve Rudnick (Writer)
Length:97 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Tim Allen as Scott Calvin
Judge Reinhold as Neal
Wendy Crewson as Laura
Eric Lloyd as Charlie
David Krumholtz as Bernard
Larry Brandenburg as Detective Nunzio

Plot:
Superstar comedian and Golden Globe winner* Tim Allen shines bright in Disney's magical, larger-than-life hit comedy that People Magazine dubbed "the most playfully amusing, inventive cinematic...fable in several decades!"

Rooftop clatter leads to merry adventure after Santa falls down on the job, and Scott Calvin's son Charlie convinces dad to try on the red suit. Eight reindeer pilot the pair to the North Pole, where they soon discover that by donning the famous suit, dad must now accept all of Santa's duties! Over the next year, a surprised, not-so-jolly Scott grows a Santa-sized tummy and beard, causing friends, family and business associates to wonder if he's lost his marbles. All except Charlie, who thinks his dad is perfectly suited for his new job!

Each well-kept secret of the North Pole is revealed in Disney's hilarious and heartwarming tale that's "destined to become a holiday classic" (New York Post). Now you can unwrap all the magic of the holidays any day of the year!

*Best Actor ("Home Improvement").

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one of my favorite movies to watch to help me get into the Christmas Spirit. I normally like to watch this while wrapping gifts. But this year I decided to watch it a little early. I have been a fan of Tim Allen ever since I first saw him in Home Improvement...so when this was first being released I couldn't wait to see how they did it.... and I think Tim Allen makes the perfect Santa in this movie.  I don't know what it really is about this one other then it is just a fun holiday movie. A must watch every year for me.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 01:53:07 AM »
     Christmas Treats: The Odd Couple: Season 1, Episode 12: Scrooge Gets An Oscar

Oscar Ousts Felix, and in a nightmarish version of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol," sees himself as Ebenezer Madison, haunted by his past misdeeds.

Stars:
Tony Randall as Felix Unger
Jack Klugman as Oscar Madison
Larry Gelman as Vinnie
Ryan MacDonald as Roy
Al Molinaro as Murray
Garry Walberg as Speed

My Thoughts:
My brother and I just finished watching this episode... part of a best of disc filled with Christmas episodes. This episode is a fun take on the Christmas Carol story. Which is one of my favorite Christmas storylines. I have a few different versions in my collection. Worth the time put in to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 12:56:27 AM »
     The Santa Clause 2: Fullscreen (2002)
Trailer |Wikipedia |IMDb |
Director:Michael Lembeck
Writing:Leo Benvenuti (Story By), Steve Rudnick (Story By), Don Rhymer (Screenwriter), Cinco Paul (Screenwriter), Ken Daurio (Screenwriter), Ed Decter (Screenwriter), John J. Strauss (Screenwriter), Leo Benvenuti (Original Characters By), Steve Rudnick (Original Characters By)
Length:104 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Tim Allen as Scott Calvin/Santa/Toy Santa
Elizabeth Mitchell as Carol
David Krumholtz as Bernard
Eric Lloyd as Charlie Calvin
Judge Reinhold as Neil Miller
Wendy Crewson as Laura Miller

Plot:
Walt Disney Pictures presents an all-new comedy adventure overflowing with holiday cheer. Tim Allen reappears in 'Santa Clause 2' , the hilarious sequel to everybody's holiday favorite. Scott Calvin (Allen) has been Santa for the past 8 years, and his loyal elves consider him the best one ever. But Scott's got problems. His son Charlie landed on this year's "naughty" list, and if Scott doesn't marry before Christmas Eve - one very, very short month away - he'll stop being Santa forever. Embracing Chrsitmas and the magic of family with heart, warmth, fun and charm, 'Santa Clause 2' is classic holiday entertainment everybody will enjoy again and again.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Games
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned
  • THX

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this one too. Though I must admit that I liked the first one more. I did like the whole find a wife storyline. But the toy Santa storyline... while it had it's moments... wasn't quite as entertaining. I have to admit I did like the baby reindeer, Chet. He was just fun to watch. But over all this is a good sequel... worth the time to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 01:05:10 AM »
I hope you review Jingle All the Way in this marathon. I know many hate it, but I love it and think whilst Arnie and Sinbad are a lot of fun, Phil Hartman undeniably steals the show!

I should rewatch The Santa Clause movies also though my watching selection will be difficult as I am away visiting friends and family and working from the 11th December until the 8th January or so.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 05:52:10 AM »
Phil Hartman always stole the show.  I think that NewsRadio was written just for him.  Don't get me wrong .. it had a great ensemble cast but oh my Phil was funny.

And you are right .. Jingle All The Way did get the short end of the stick. 
Thank you
David

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 11:52:12 AM »
I plan on getting to it at some point before Christmas. I always enjoyed it as well... but while I don't dislike him... I never been much of a fan of Phil Hartman.
Pete