Author Topic: Typical!  (Read 2690 times)

RossRoy

Typical!
« on: March 27, 2008, 09:07:24 PM »
Hmpf! I knew this would happen. I'm not complaining too much, but given the fact that I haven't had time to watch it yet, it's a bit unnerving to find out that something I imported from Region 2, will come out in Region 1...

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/862/862488p1.html?RSSwhen2008-03-27_101800&RSSid=862488

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Typical!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
TBH I don't see the problem? What's the drawback of already having it as R2?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 09:17:32 PM »
TBH I don't see the problem? What's the drawback of already having it as R2?

It's psychological more than anything really. What happens is I don't actually have a region free dvd player, so I have to use the computer to watch it (not that big of a deal, since I already do most of the watching on my PC) but I'd rather not need a special software just to bypass the region coding.

There's also the whole "Hey! That looks good, can I borrow it?" - "Sorry, no, it's a R2 title, and I don't think you have a region free player". And that particular friend, after trying to explain a few times, I gave up on the whole explain the region and video format things.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
What happens is I don't actually have a region free dvd player
Ah I understand. Around here nearly every player can be code-freed with a certain key combination on the remote (every brand has its own combination of course).

There's also the whole "Hey! That looks good, can I borrow it?" - "Sorry, no, it's a R2 title, and I don't think you have a region free player". And that particular friend, after trying to explain a few times, I gave up on the whole explain the region and video format things.
I know that problem, but my answer has to be "Sorry, no german dubbing!". Sometimes I actually felt guilty because I bought something with no german dubbing. Just recently I bought Smallville Season 6 on Amazon.com for 23$ (which equals 18€ after customs and taxes). The german box costs 38€. When I told this my best friend he wanted to borrow it (I have no problem with that) but then I had to "admit", that there was no german audio and I felt bad because I couldn't share.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:29:57 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 10:01:48 PM »
Just recently I bought Smallville Season 6 on Amazon.com for 23$ (which equals 18€ after customs and taxes). The german box costs 38€. When I told this my best friend he wanted to borrow it (I have no problem with that) but then I had to "admit", that there was no german audio and I felt bad because I couldn't share.

Happened to me too, and also on Smallville. My parents wanted to watch Smallville, so they borrowed the Season 1 set. No problem, the french dubbing is there. But starting from Season 2? Gone!

I do feel guilty about it, but, then can I do? It's not like it's my fault the studios decide to do what they do, and since I watch it in original audio, I'm not going to refrain from watching/buying it, just because my family will not let go of french dubs.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 10:21:13 PM »
Happened to me too, and also on Smallville. My parents wanted to watch Smallville, so they borrowed the Season 1 set. No problem, the french dubbing is there. But starting from Season 2? Gone!

The same thing happened to me, too  :laugh:
I borrowed season 1 of Smallville to my mother. But beginning with season 2 I have the R1 release and therefore no German dubbing.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 10:30:32 PM »

The same thing happened to me, too  :laugh:
I borrowed season 1 of Smallville to my mother. But beginning with season 2 I have the R1 release and therefore no German dubbing.

I can borrow her seasons two to five.  :laugh:
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 10:40:49 AM »
I'm not going to refrain from watching/buying it, just because my family will not let go of french dubs.
Me neither, but I still feel uncomfortable.
Karsten

RossRoy

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 02:02:45 PM »
I'm not going to refrain from watching/buying it, just because my family will not let go of french dubs.
Me neither, but I still feel uncomfortable.

Oh I do too, I didn't mean that I don't care, just that I unfortunately can't do much about it.

Well, not anything entirely legit anyway  ;)