Author Topic: 2012 October-to-Whenever Marathon: Must-Sees and Nostalgia  (Read 20069 times)

addicted2comics(:P)

Re: 2012 October Marathon: Must-Sees and Nostalgia
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 11:36:14 AM »
Spooky Tree
Beetlejuice (Season 1, Episode 4)

Director:Robin Budd
Length:11 min.
Rating:Rated TV-Y

Stars:

Stephen Ouimette as Beetlejuice (voice)
Alyson Court as Lydia Deetz (voice)
Roger Dunn as Charles Deetz (voice)
Elizabeth Hanna as Delia Deetz / Miss Shannon (voice)

Opening:

Series Summary:
Beetlejuice, a wild ghost from the "Neitherworld," and his mortal best friend, a young girl named Lydia.

Episode Plot:
Lydia loves an old tree she has named "Spooky," and is horrified when construction workers want to tear it down. She attempts to save the tree by chaining herself to it, but is left weakened by exhaustion and a hunger strike. Before her parents can take her home, she summons Beetlejuice to protect Spooky; Beetlejuice instead uses magic to bring the tree to life. Now if he can just convince Spooky to replant himself...

My Thoughts:
This was in a sort of bundle set of Halloween episodes of certain shows….this is really more of an Earth Day episode, if anything. Talk about pollution and efforts to save a tree. Nothing more spooky than ordinary for Beetlejuice. Still, it was pretty funny.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »
Something that I noticed was that here Chucky and his bride need an amulet to transfer to different bodies, yet I saw Chucky on no such search when he tried to get to Andy and Tyler’s bodies in the last three movies, but sequels do tend to have continuity glitches...
I thought they explained that the amulet was now needed because he had been inside Chucky's body for too long already?

I always found Bride of Chucky to be the most fun to watch... The first three are good in that they actually continue with the same main character, the third one indeed giving it a welcome change of scenery.

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 09:18:29 AM »
heh, maybe I just wasn't paying attention closely enough...

So, it's pretty obvious I won't finish the marathon this month, given that today is Halloween. Yup, I surrender.  :surrender: no way to possibly reach that goal. I've been a busy person, between Spirit Week, Homecoming (both in which I had to take pictures for the school yearbook), school work, a little online job I have, and of course Halloween. Not to mention the recent hurricane....No real time for a marathon my senior year.  :bag:

However, I plan to continue this marathon for however long I see fit. I plan to finish up all of the Halloween cartoons today to get me in a good Halloween-ish mood. The movies I will just keep watching whenever because it really is a shame that I've never seen these movies, and I intend to correct that.

I would start posting now, but as I have just woken up at midnight and spent a few hours styling a couple costume wigs and carving out a jack-o-lantern (as I even procrastinated that this year), I must sleep!

I shall post what I can when I awake.  :D

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 09:19:41 PM »
Boo Haw Haw
Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy (Special)

Director:Danny Antonucci
Length:23 min.
Rating:Rated TV-Y7

Stars:

Matt Hill ...    Ed (voice)
Sam Vincent ... Edd (voice)
Tony Sampson ... Eddy (voice)
Keenan Christenson ... Jimmy (voice)
David-Paul Grove    ... Jonny 2x4 (voice)
Janyse Jaud ... Sarah / Lee Kanker (voice)
Kathleen Barr ... Kevin / Marie Kanker (voice)
Erin Fitzgerald ... May Kanker / Nazz (voice)
Peter Kelamis ... Rolf (voice)

Opening:

Series Summary:
The show follows 3 preteen boys who live in the town of Peach Creek. These three boys all have the same name but with very different personalities. They go around their suburban cul-de-sac neighborhood, thinking up scams to perform on the neighborhood kids so they can get cash and buy those mouth watering jawbreakers they all crave. Their scams usually fail and only leave them beaten up by the angry kids. Consider them outcasts.

Episode Plot:
The Eds are ready to trick or treat, and Eddy's got a surprise, a map from his brother to a place called "Spook-E-Ville". Supposedly the people at Spook-E-Ville give out loads of candy on Halloween, and Eddy can't wait. The Eds head out to search for Spook-E-Ville until a problem occurs, Ed begins having monster hallucinations due to all of the monster movies he had watched before Halloween, and begins attacking the other kids of the cul-de-sac. Will the Eds make it to Spook-E-Ville before Halloween ends, or will Eds monster hallucinations stop them?

My Thoughts:
A lot of the classic Ed-boys humor. :D Not so much out of the ordinary for a Halloween special, but Ed's hallucinations were hilarious. As were the things he said. "You're mother wears combat boots!" XD

But then again, he's always like that, lolz. Watching Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy after enduring shows like Flapjack and Chowder is just what I needed!   

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
Degrassi of the Dead
Degrassi: The Next Generation (Special)

Creators:Yan Moore, Linda Schuyler
Rating:Rated TV-PG

Stars:

Stefan Brogren...Archie 'Snake' Simpson
Shane Kippel... Gavin 'Spinner' Mason
Miriam McDonald...Emma Nelson
Cassie Steele...Manny Santos
Aislinn Paul...Clare Edwards

Opening:

Series Summary:
About the kids at Degrassi Community School. Centralizing around the children of the original characters from Degrassi High. The show aims to deal with serious and sometimes taboo issues that plague teenagers.

Episode Plot:
When genetically modified foods turn people into zombies, it's up to Manny to save the day.

My Thoughts:
I remembered this from years ago, though I don't recall it as a "mini-series" they would show between commercials....huh...

Still, even f I hate Degrassi and every other teen drama with a passion, I have to give it up for this. The acting is great. The effects were phenomenal, given what budget they probably had for a small event like this. I always feared death via being eaten alive, so themselves alone creeps me out. Every time I watch this its like a mini horror movie and the jumpscare at the end gets me every time.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 11:20:25 PM »
Dude of the Living Dead
6Teen (Special)

Director:Tom McGillis
Length:46 min.
Rating:Rated TV-G

Stars:

Brooke D'Orsay... Caitlin Cooke
Terry McGurrin... Jonesy Garcia
Megan Fahlenbock... Jen Masterson
Stacey DePass... Nikki Wong
Christian Potenza... Jude Lizowski
Adam Greydon Reid... Wayne
Kaley Cuoco... Chrissie Baldwin
Jamie Watson... Ron the Rent-a-Cop
Jesse Gibbons... Wyatt Williams

Opening:

Series Summary:
Set in a giant shopping mall, this show follows the after-school lives of six sixteen-year-old teenagers.

Episode Plot:
A handful of teenagers must survive a mall overrun with zombies.

My Thoughts:
I always did like this show.  :laugh: Great comedy. Characters designs are on the mark. Creative use of hot sauce and squirt guns against zombies. I'm almost not creeped out by the flesh-eaters.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:27:11 PM by addicted2comics(:P) »

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 12:06:16 AM »
Night of the Day of the Dead
Lizzie McGuire (Season 1, Episode 24)

Creator:Terri Minsky
Length:22 min.
Rating:Rated TV-G

Stars:

Hilary Duff ... Lizzie McGuire
Lalaine ... Miranda Sanchez
Adam Lamberg ... David 'Gordo' Gordon
Jake Thomas ... Matt McGuire
Ashlie Brillault ... Kate Sanders

Opening:

Series Summary:
A story of teenagers growing up.

Episode Plot:
It's Halloween, and Lizzie's school is organizing a big Halloween party. Too bad Kate's in charge, which means she gets the final say on everything. But when Kate disrespects Miranda's ancestral skeleton decorations, spooky things start to happen. Could it be the work of the spirits of Miranda's offended ancestors?

My Thoughts:
I can't say I was ever fond of Lizzie McGuire. To be honest, I only ever watched it for the cartoon cutscenes. Still, I typically love anything to do with the Day of the Dead, a love even more instilled in me by my old Spanish teacher ;) The festive skeleton were beautiful in an eerie way and I always love to see a mean girl get what's coming to her. The idea of the kid being turned to mud or being trapped inside a bobble head.....that was pretty funny too!  :laugh: 

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 12:47:56 AM »
Nightmare in Retroville
The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (Season 2, Episode 5)

Creators:Keith Alcorn, John A. Davis, Steve Oedekerk
Length:22 min.

Stars:

Debi Derryberry ... James Isaac 'Jimmy' Neutron (voice)
Jeffrey Garcia ... Sheen Estevez (voice)
Rob Paulsen ... Carl Wheezer (voice)
Mark DeCarlo ... Hugh Neutron (voice)
Carolyn Lawrence ... Cindy Vortex (voice)
Frank Welker ... Goddard (voice)

Opening:

Series Summary:
Follows Jimmy Neutron, his faithful robotic dog, Goddard, and his eclectic friends and family as they experience life in Retroville. Jimmy is a typical kid, who just happens to be a genius. He creates gadgets to improve his everyday life, but his inventions go awry more often then not, and hilarious trouble ensues.

Episode Plot:
Jimmy is getting tired of Trick-or-Treating, but his friends are all for it. He invents a machines that gives them awesome monster costumes on a molecular level in exchange for a large portion of their candy. However, the people start to become actual monsters.

My Thoughts:
Ah, this was good to see again. Loved when the monster kids all fought each other. The solution was hilarious, lol, "Flying octopuses is where I draw the line!" XD It was always my favorite episode of Jimmy Neutron. It seemed to drag on a bit, but I think that's just me getting tired. I loved the irony of Cindy being changed into a vampire when her costume was "Muffy the Vampire Slayer". Gotta love subtle references.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

Re: 2012 October-to-Whenever Marathon: Must-Sees and Nostalgia
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2012, 12:58:03 AM »
At this point, I would like to say that I cut out cartoons that weren't directly related to Halloween.  :P There were actually too many repeat cases like that one Beetlejuice episode that was more Earth Day than anything. So yeah.

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2012, 01:38:53 AM »
Billy & Mandy's Jacked-Up Halloween
The Grim adventures of Billy & Mandy (Season 2, Episode 10)

Director:Robert Alvarez, Juli Murphy
Length:30 min.

Stars:
Grey DeLisle...Mandy / Granny / Cowgirl (voice)
Greg Eagles...Grim / Spirit / Knight (voice)
Richard Steven Horvitz...Billy / Guy (voice)
Wayne Knight...Jack (voice)
Vanessa Marshall...Irwin / Toilet Paper Woman (voice)

Opening:

Series Summary:
The grim reaper has to endure eternity with two children after losing a bet with them and has to be their best friend forever. Many hilarious supernatural adventures ensue.

Episode Plot:
Jack, a headless prankster from Grim's past, uses Billy to steal Grim's scythe so he can destroy Grim and take over the world with demons from the Netherworld.

My Thoughts:
This...was actually slightly better than I remember it. With the pranks, when I was younger, I used to feel embarrassed for the characters. Now it's just funny. It's a very cool Halloween special that was kept perfectly in that old Billy & Mandy style - comedic, yet disturbing.  ;D Just how I like it. The only thing I don't get? If pranking got you a pumpkin head in life, why in prank when in the underworld?  :slaphead:

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:51:37 AM by addicted2comics(:P) »

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2012, 01:50:38 AM »
Bravo-Dooby-Doo
Johnny Bravo (Season 1, Episode 3)

Director:Robert Alvarez, Juli Murphy
Length:14 min.

Stars:

Jeff Bennett...Johnny Bravo (voice)
Greg Burson   ...Ghostly Gardener (voice)
Casey Kasem...Shaggy (voice)
Hadley Kay... Scooby-Doo (voice)
Heather North...Daphne (voice)
B.J. Ward...Velma / Aunt Jebidisa (voice)

Opening:

Series Summary:
The story follows an egomaniac who hits on every girl he sees.

Episode Plot:
Johnny calls for the help of Scooby-Doo and the gang to help find his missing Aunt Jebidisa.

My Thoughts:
I admit...Johnny still gets on my nerves  :headscratch:

Still, it was really cool to see him and the Scooby gang work together. There was a great parody of their unmaskings and there was even a Speed Buggy cameo in the end. The episode was really just a way to make fun of Scooby-Doo, but it was still pretty cool.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2012, 02:08:33 AM »
I Am Vampire
I Am Weasel (Season 3, Episode 7)

Director: David Feiss

Stars:

Charles Adler...I.R. Baboon / Red Guy (voice)
Michael Dorn...I.M. Weasel (voice)

Opening:

Series Summary:
The adventures of a highly intelligent, talented and rather generous weasel and a stupid baboon who has no talent at most things.

Episode Plot:
Weasel and Baboon are a pair of friendly vampires who drink only canned blood and are just looking for a fun little night on the town in Pantsylvania. But someone should try telling that to the vampire hunter Dr. Von Smellstein, who's out to get our heroes!

My Thoughts:

Quite a few stupid jokes....vampire turning into a baseball bat...the red guy using a stake to slay the vampires (medium rare). Kind of funny, but in that way where you're like "Really?" XD It's a nice short cartoon. I remember watching it with Cow and Chicken too...

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2012, 02:30:45 AM »
Operation: T.R.I.C.K.Y.
Codename: Kids Next Door (Season 3, Episode 11)

Creators: Maxwell Atoms, Tom Warburton
Length:12 min.

Stars:

Mark Hamill...Stickybeard
Dee Bradley Baker   ...Numbuh 4
Ben Diskin...Numbuh 2
Lauren Tom   ...Numbuh 3
Cree Summer...Numbuh 5 

Opening:

Series Summary:
Codename: Kids Next Door follows the escapades of five eager, yet bumbling, ten-year-olds as they join forces against adulthood to fight for the right to enjoy all the fun things in life

Episode Plot:
It's trick-or-treat night, and Numbuh 4 sets off on his own to prove he can get more candy than his teammates - without even wearing a costume. But he only receives a single piece of butterscotch, and that ends up being stolen by Stickybeard and his candy pirates, who are taking trick-or-treat candy from neighborhood kids. Furious, Numbuh 4 races after them to retrieve his candy. At this rate, how will his candy count ever top that of his friends?

My Thoughts:

Honestly, these pirates are probably my least-favorite villains here, even behind the Toilenator. And I don't favor Numbah 4 either. But the humor with candy was nice. And I always did like the spy-kid thing this series had.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2012, 02:43:42 AM »
Frankenbravo
Johnny Bravo (Season 3, Episode 12)

Director:David Schwartz, Kirk Tingblad
Length:9 min.

Stars:

Jeff Bennett ...Johnny Bravo / Igor (voice)
Larry Drake ... Pops (voice)
Tom Kenny ...Carl (voice)
Candi Milo...Bride of F (voice)

Opening:

Series Summary:
The story follows an egomaniac who hits on every girl he sees.

Episode Plot:
Johnny has a run-in with Dr. Frankenstein and sets out to marry the female reanimated corpse.

My Thoughts:
I feel sorry for the bride  :P

I think this is a fairly memorable episode. the parody of marriage at the end was definitely worth a chuckle. Otherwise, it's typical Johnny Bravo.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2012, 03:07:34 AM »
Bloooo
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (Season 1, Episode 8 )

Creator:Craig McCracken
Length:24 min.

Stars:

Keith Ferguson ... Blooregard
Sean Marquette ... Mac
Grey DeLisle ... Frances 'Frankie' Foster
Tom Kenny    ... Eduardo
Phil LaMarr    ... Wilt
Candi Milo    ... Coco
Tom Kane    ... Mr. Herriman

Opening:

Series Summary:
Eight-year-old Mac has outgrown his imaginary friend, says his mother, so he takes his buddy Bloo (a walking, talking security blanket) to Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. Here all sorts of odd characters, given up by their creators, are welcome to stay until new kids come to adopt them. Mac strikes a deal with Madame Foster, the proprietor: as long as he comes to visit every day, Bloo will not be put up for adoption.

Episode Plot:
Frankie is scared of a hitchhiker and the imaginary friends think that Bloo.

My Thoughts:

Up front, I really like the reference to the hitchiker with a hook for a hand.  :P And Ghostbusters. That was just fun to watch. And its surprising how much snot looks like ectoplasm. XD Another episode that was my favorite in the series. Gotta love the episodes where everyone is scared for no good reason.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 03:34:22 AM by addicted2comics(:P) »