Author Topic: New Season of Survivor  (Read 1985 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
New Season of Survivor
« on: September 03, 2012, 07:25:11 PM »
I really wasn't planning on watching Survivor this year. It has been a bit boring to me lately... think I am getting out of it. But then I see a commercial for it last night... and for one reason only I am now considering at least watching a week or so of it....

This season they have a classic sitcom star on the show. Facts of Life's Lisa Welchel (Blair)...

So I think I may check it out and see how she manages for a while.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New Season of Survivor
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:15:20 PM »
I've never seen an episode - and I never will.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 10:17:23 PM »
I didn't start out watching it... but I did check out a season and ended up getting hooked on it for a while. But decided to drop it. Now with her being on there I think I need to check it out when the new season starts.
Pete

MEJHarrison

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 07:04:52 PM »
When I was in college, I had English class with Kim Fields (Tootie).  Of course I was already planning to watch the show.  I half space out these days, but the boys still enjoy it. :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 07:34:35 PM »
That is pretty cool about Kim fields. I never met anyone that was really famous.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »
I never met anyone that was really famous.
I've met many but I don't think you would know them anyway as they are French Canadian personalities (I was with at least one person who is now on TV when I was at the university)... but I've met two French Canadian Prime Ministers (Jacques Parizeau and Bernard Landry, they were both really friendly and it's good memory for me).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 08:42:31 PM »
That is cool Jimmy!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 10:00:27 PM »
My cousin Pam, who recently passed after a heroic 5 year battle against stage 4 ovarian cancer, was quite a character.

Not only was she a tall and gorgeous, she was loving, kind and an amazingly gifted artist.

I always picture her as a bohemian or a hippie from the 60s whose home was a place that artists flocked to be with one another.

I remember once she hand crafted gifts for the musical group Cheap Trick. They loved her work so much that they became friends.

I've met many famous people over the years but since they didn't become my friends their memories have faded over time.

They always just seemed to me to be just regular people - nothing more special about them than anyone else.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 05:19:03 PM »
Pertaining in part to this and so many)other shows, not enough credit is given to the hundreds of others that makes them possible through prep or behind the scenes. I've known a few people that did that sort of work, and if you heard everything that I have about so many of them, it would probably ruin the show for you.

In the case of Survivor, take everything that is "fake" out of the show (added for drama and realism) and all that you have are:
(click to show/hide)

... and that's just one show.

Coming up: Next week we will discuss Trading Spaces. :laugh:  (An old friend wanted to go on that show until I was told by a relative about a major negative side that I never would have expected.)
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 07:57:12 PM »
They always just seemed to me to be just regular people - nothing more special about them than anyone else.

Very, very true Kathy.  The first week of English class was all "Oh... it's Tootie!!!".  After that first week she was nothing more than an annoying student.  Sweet as pie, but she knew the answer to everything and her hand was always the first up.  It got tiring after a while.  I also had her step-brother Jomo in a bunch of my computer science classes, but he disappeared after a year or two.  Not sure if he dropped out, transferred or flunked out (a distinct possibility).  He and his sister certainly didn't share the smart parent!  :hysterical:

I also lived next door to Montel Jordan in the dorms my sophomore or junior year. But that was prior to This Is How We Do It and his moderate fame.  Then he became a record producer.  Now he's the worship leader at Victory World Church in GA.  Another great guy except that he got too excited playing video games one night and broke my bed. :laugh:

I think that's my two big celebrity stories.

On a related note, in a few weeks I'm taking a road trip to New Mexico and will get to stop by Pepperdine for the first time in probably 20 years!  I'm very excited. :yahoo:

And back on topic, I'm quite sure that most of Survivor is very contrived.  I don't mean cheating.  Just that I think that all the drama and whatnot is setup either directly or indirectly (by picking people who will most certainly clash or make good TV).  I also realize that each week, we see 42 minutes out of their 72 hours.  Still, it's entertaining.  I love seeing random strangers thrown together and forced to lived and cooperate.  From a psychological point of view, I find it fascinating.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 02:59:33 AM »
I started to watch Survivor when it was first on.  I didn't make it through one episode and I haven't watched it since.