Author Topic: DSigs What I'm Watching  (Read 40191 times)

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DSigs What I'm Watching
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2012, 11:45:37 PM »
     Poltergeist: 25th Anniversary Edition (1982/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Tobe Hooper
Writing:Steven Spielberg (Screenwriter), Michael Grais (Screenwriter), Mark Victor (Screenwriter), Steven Spielberg (Story By)
Length:114 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.20:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Craig T. Nelson as Steve Freeling
JoBeth Williams as Diane Freeling
Beatrice Straight as Dr. Lesh
Dominique Dunne as Dana Freeling
Oliver Robins as Robbie Freeling

Plot:
"THEY'RE HERE," playful at first...but not for long. A storm erupts, a tree attacks and little Carol Anne Freeling is whisked into a spectral void. As her family confronts horrors galore, something else is here too: a new benchmark in Hollywood ghost stories. Producers Steven Speilberg and Frank Marshall and director Tobe Hooper head the elite scream team of this classic. Welcome to Home Sweet Haunted Home.

** Complete Plot (with spoilers) from Wikipedia **
(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
Genre: Horror / Thriller
Have I seen it before: Yes
Do I Like it as much: Yes

Rating: 4of5

'Poltergeist' (2005) is an excellent Horror / Thriller
  • produced by Steven Spielberg
  • produced by Frank Marshall
  • screenplay by Steven Spielberg
  • screenplay by Michael Grais
  • screenplay by Mark Victor
  • directed by Tobe Hopper

It stars
  • Craig T. Nelson (Steven Freeling) ("Flesh Gordon" (1974), "...And Justice for All" (1979), "Stir Crazy" (1980), "Where the Buffalo Roam" (1980), "Private Benjamin" (1980), "Silkwood" (1983), "All the Right Moves" (1983), "The Osterman Weekend" (1983), "Poltergeist II: The Other Side" (1986), "Coach" (TV) (1989–1997), "Turner & Hooch" (1989), "Troop Beverly Hills" (1989), "Ghosts of Mississippi" (1996), "Devil's Advocate" (1997), "Wag The Dog" (1997), Peter Benchley's 'Creature"(1998), "Family Guy" (1999) - Himself, "The Skulls" (2000), "The Incredibles" (2004), "Parenthood" (TV) (2010–present) and other TV shows/series
  • JoBeth Williams (Diane Freeling)("Kramer vs. Kramer" (1979), "Stir Crazy" (1980), "The Big Chill" (1983), "Poltergeist II: The Other Side" (1986), "Switch" (1991), "Dutch" (1991), "Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot" (1992), "Wyatt Earp" (1994), " Jungle 2 Jungle", (1997), "Fever Pitch" (2005)
  • Heather O'Rourke (Carol Anne Freeling) (before her untimely death in 1988 ("Poltergeist" (1982), "Poltergeist II: The Other Side" (1986) and "Poltergeist III" (1988) along with a couple tv shows )
  • Zelda Rubinstein (Tangina Barrons) ("Under the Rainbow" (1981) a great movie, "Sixteen Candles" (1984), "Poltergeist II: The Other Side" (1986), "Poltergeist III" (1988) with lots of other movies and TV credits)

The film also features Dominique Dunne (Dana Freeling), Oliver Robins (Robbie Freeling), Beatrice Straight (Dr. Lesh), Martin Casella (Marty), Richard Lawson (Ryan) and James Karen (Mr. Teague)

I remember seeing Poltergeist when it first came out. Man were we blown away. Everything from the storyline to the special effects (remember this was 1982). WOW. I recently ran into this dvd used and picked it up. I don't know why I didn't already have it in the collection but I didn't. So having just watched it for the first time in many many years I can only continue to say WOW.

Craig T. Nelson and JoBeth Williams are excellent as upper middle class parents of 3 children in a suburban housing development. Everything should be fine but for Carol Anne Freeling (Heather O'Rourke 4 years old at the time) seeming to be a channel between the spirit world and our world. All heck breaks loose as 'the beast' tries to break into our world through Carol Anne.

Zelda Rubinstein is great as Tangina Barrons the medium that is called in to rescue Carol Anne and 'clear' the house of spirits. She and her character have often been caricatured on many show/movies.

There are 2 sad notes of this movie (and the Poltergeist Trilogy). Shortly after the release of "Poltergeist" was released Dominique Dunne who played daughter Dana Freeling, was murdered by her abusive boyfriend. And then shortly before "Poltergeist III" was released, Heather O'Rourke died of a heart attack brought on by "bowel obstruction" and complicated by septic shock. She was had just turned 12 years old.

I wish I had run into a Blu-Ray version of this film and I will be looking for one. It must be very nice.

I highly recommend this to everyone.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2012, 02:02:08 AM »
     Only Angels Have Wings: Columbia Classics (1939/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Columbia TriStar Home Video (United States)
Director:Howard Hawks
Writing:Jules Furthman (Screenwriter)
Length:121 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:Chinese, English, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Cary Grant as Geoff Carter
Jean Arthur as Bonnie Lee
Richard Barthelmess as Bat MacPherson
Rita Hayworth as Judy
Thomas Mitchell as Kid Dabb

Plot:
A two-fisted adventure tale set in South America, ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS stars Cary Grant as the tough-talking head of an air-freight service operating in the dangerous Andes Mountains. Jean Arthur co-stars as a vacationing showgirl competing with Rita Hayworth for Grant's affections. A potent combination of humor, romance and action, the film was directed by Howard Hawks, the legendary director responsible for Red River, His Girl Friday, Bringing Up Baby, and the original Scarface. A triumph of casting, ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS is one of the best examples of Columbia chief Harry Cohn's skill in developing talent. Cary Grant had just been released from his contract with Paramount when Cohn, sensing that the handsome leading man was poised for stardom, turned him into Columbia's most durable star. Jean Arthur was an unexceptional veteran of over 50 films before Cohn "discovered" something in her that previous studios had overlooked. Teaming her with director Frank Capra, he created one of the finest comediennes in Hollywood history. And Rita Hayworth, Cohn's personal protégée, was a pure product of the studio system. Groomed for stardom from the first, ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS offered her a chance to learn from the best in the business. And the rest, as they say, is history.

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned
  • Vintage Advertising

My Thoughts:
Genre: Drama / Adventure

'Only Angels Have Wings' (2005) is an excellent action film
  • produced by Howard Hawks ("The Dawn Patrol" (1930), "Scarface" (1932), "Viva Villa!" (1934), "Bringing Up Baby" (1938), "His Girl Friday" (1940), "Sergeant York" (1941), "To Have and Have Not" (1944), "The Big SLeep" (1946), "Red River" (1948), "I Was a Male War Bride" (1949), "The Thing from Another World" (1951), "The Big Sky" (1952), "Monkey Business" (1952), "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (1953), "El Dorado" (1966) and "Rio Lobo" (1970)
  • screenplay by Howard Hawks (story)
  • screenplay by Jules Furthman ("Mutiny on the Bounty" (1935), "The Outlaw" (1943), "To Have and Have Not" (1944), "The Big Sleep" (1946), "The Outlaw" (1943), "To Have and Have Not" (1944), "The Big Sleep" (1946) and "Rio Bravo" (1959)
  • directed by Howard Hawks (see above)

It stars
  • Cary Grant (Geoff Carter) (although there are to many to list here are a few of my favorites .. "Topper" (1937),"Bringing Up Baby" (1938), "The Philadelphia Story" (1940), "His Girl Friday" (1940), "Arsenic and Old Lace" (1944), "The Bishops Wife" (1947), "Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House" (1948),"People Will Talk" (1951), "To Catch A Thief" (1955), "An Affair to Remember" (1957), "North by Northwest" (1959), "Charade" (1963) and "Father Goose" (1964))
  • Jean Arthur (Bonnie Lee) ("The Mysterious Dr. Fu Manchu" (1929), "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town" (1936), "The Plainsman" (1936), "You Can't Take It with You" (1938), "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" (1939), "The Devil and Miss Jones" (1941), "Shane" (1953) )
  • Richard Barthelmess (Bat MacPherson) ("The Dawn Patrol" (1930))
  • Rita Hayworth (Judy MacPherson) ("Susan and God" (1940), "Angels Over Broadway" (1940), "You'll Never Get Rich" (1941), "My Gal Sal" (1942), "Gilda" (1946), "The Lady from Shanghai" (1947), "Salome" (1953), "Pal Joey" (1957), "The Story on Page One" (1959))
  • Thomas Mitchell as ('Kid' Dabb) ("Lost Horizon" (1937), "Stagecoach" (1939), "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" (1939), "Gone with the Wind", (1939), "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (1939), "Swiss Family Robinson" (1940), "Our Town" (1940), "Angels Over Broadway" (1940), "The Devil and Daniel Webster" (1941), "The Outlaw" (1943), "Bataan" (1943), "The Fighting Sullivans" (1944), "Buffalo Bill" (1944), "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946), "High Noon" (1952), "Destry" (1954))

The film also features Allyn Joslyn (Les Peters), Sig Ruman (John "Dutchy" Van Reiter), Victor Kilian ("Sparks" Reynolds), John Carroll ("Gent" Shelton), Don Barry ("Tex" Gordon) and Noah Beery, Jr. (Joe Souther)

I *know* that I have seen this before but I couldn't remember much about the film. I was filling in my Cary Grant films and this one popped up.

Having just watched it again I really like this film. The cinematography (black and white) is very good. It is a 'dark' movie but that is part of the story I think. For a 1939 film there really aren't any "special effects". Planes on wires etc but if you can get past that the filming is excellent.

The actors (Cary Grant, Jean Arthur and Thomas Mitchell) are great in this. Characters rich and worth caring about. This comes from a good script, great direction and acting.

I highly recommend film this to everyone.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2012, 07:26:12 PM »
    The Fall (2006/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Tarsem Singh [Tarsem]
Writing:Valeri Petrov (Original Material By), Dan Gilroy (Screenwriter), Nico Soultanakis (Screenwriter), Tarsem Singh [Tarsem] (Screenwriter)
Length:117 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Commentary

Stars:
Catinca Untaru as Alexandria
Justine Waddell as Nurse Evelyn / Sister Evelyn
Lee Pace as Roy Walker
Kim Uylenbroek as Doctor / Alexander the Great
Aiden Lithgow as Alexander's Messenger

Plot:
Filmed over a period of 4 years in 18 different countries, Tarsem's The Fall is an unforgettable movie experience. In 1920s Los Angeles, Alexandria (Catinca Untaru), a 5-year-old girl hospitalized from a fall, strikes up an unlikely friendship with Roy (Lee Pace, TV's "Pushing Daisies"), a Hollywood stuntman shattered by a near-fatal movie set accident and his lover's betrayal. To pass the time, he tells Alexandria the epic story of Governor Odious and the 5 remarkable heroes determined to defeat him – a dazzling world of magic and myth. Only when the line between reality and fantasy begins to dissolve does Alexandria realize how much is truly at stake. Presented by David Fincher (Fight Club) and Spike Jonze (Adaptation), The Fall is an awe-inspiring, cinematic tour de force.

** Complete Plot (with spoilers) frm Wikipedia **
(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Genre: Fantasy / Adventure
Have I seen it before: No
Do I Like it as much:

Rating: 3.5of5

'The Fall' (2005) is a Fantasy / Adventure film brought to you by the same people who did "The Cell" in 2000
  • produced by Tarsem Singh
  • produced by Ajit Singh
  • produced by Tommy Turtle
  • screenplay based on the 1981 screenplay "Yo Ho Ho" by Valeri Petrov
  • screenplay by Tarsem Singh
  • screenplay by Dan Gilroy
  • screenplay by Nico Soultanakis
  • directed by Tarsem Singh ("The Cell" (2000), "The Immortals " (2011) didn't like)

It stars
  • Lee Pace (Roy Walker / Red Bandit) ("The Good Shephard" (2006), "The Resident" (2010), "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn" (2011) and several TV shows/series including the GREAT series "Pushing Daisies" (2007-2009) )
  • Catinca Untaru
  • Justine Waddell

The film also features Daniel Caltagirone (Sinclair / Governor Odious), Marcus Wesley (Ice delivery man / Otta Benga), Robin Smith (One-legged actor / Luigi), Jeetu Verma (Orange picker / Indian), Kim Uylenbroek (Doctor / Alexander the Great), Leo Bill (Orderly / Charles Darwin), Emil Hostina (Alexandria's father / Blue Bandit), Julian Bleach (Elderly patient / Mystic)

As noted above, I had not seen this film before, but on recommendation of Achim on dvdCollector forum, in response to a review I did on "The Cell", and a review of "The Fall"  previously done by Silence_Of_Lambs, I went ahead an picked up a copy.

I have to say that I like it very much. "The Fall" is a sweeping imaginary tale, a story told to/about/sometimes by a child patient by another patient who ultimately wants to get the child to help him.

I like it much better than "Immortals" which for me was too dark. Usually the darkness and shadows are a form of creating ambiance The story of the patient/child relationship is interesting as is the story being told. Nice on both levels.

The direction is another great job by Tarsem Singh. The working of script, cinematography and artwork/sets was very nice. The acting on all levels is very nice. I am very happy with this addition to my collection and it is on my watch list for a blu-ray version.

But having said all that, I don't think it is as good as "The Cell". "The Cell" really has a much deeper feel for me. Possibly it is stronger cast (Jennifer Lopez, Vince Vaughn and Vincent D'Onofrio) as I think they are much more 'involved' in the film and their characters. But don't get me wrong .. I think that Lee Pace did a marvelous job. Possibly the "The Cell" was a stronger script.

All in all, I do recommend film this to everyone who likes Fantasy films. It is stunning in its sweep and camera work.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:39:04 PM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2012, 11:21:25 PM »
     Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow: Special Collector's Edition (2004/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia | HomeSite

Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Kerry Conran
Writing:Kerry Conran (Writer)
Length:107 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Gwyneth Paltrow as Polly Perkins
Jude Law as Sky Captain
Giovanni Ribisi as Dex
Michael Gambon as Editor Paley
Bai Ling as Mysterious Woman

Plot:
If the world is in trouble and there's no one else to turn to, it's Sky Captain to the rescue!

When mysterious giant robots begin attacking the streets of New York City, intrepid reporter Polly Perkins (Academy Award®-winner Gwyneth Paltrow*) is on the story and enlists the aid of ace aviator and old flame Joseph "Sky Captain" Sullivan (Academy Award® nominee Jude Law**). Their mission is to find out who's behind these killing machines and stop a plot to destroy the world before it's too late.

Co-starring Academy Award®-winner Angelina Jolie*** as the ravishing Captain Franky Cook and Giovanni Ribisi as the technical genius Dex, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow features innovative state-of-the-art special effects that will thrill and amaze you right through to the action-packed finale.

* Actress in a Leading Role, Shakespeare In Love, 1998.
** Actor in a Leading Role, Cold Mountain, 2003.
*** Actress in a Supporting Role, Girl, Interrupted, 1999.

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned
  • Original Six Minute Short Film

My Thoughts:
Genre: Fantasy / Adventure

'Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow' (2004) is a Fantasy / Adventure film
  • produced by Jon Avnet
  • produced by Sadie Frost
  • produced by Jude Law
  • produced by Marsha Oglesb
  • screenplay by Kerry Conran
  • directed by Kerry Conran

It stars
  • Jude Law (Harry Joseph "Joe" Sullivan, a.k.a. Sky Captain) ("Gattaca" (1997), "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" (1997), "Final Cut" (1998), "eXistenZ" (1999), "The Talented Mr. Ripley" (1999), "Enemy at the Gates" (2001), "A.I. Artificial Intelligence" (2001), "Road to Perdition" (2002), "Cold Mountain" (2003), "   Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events" (2004) voice only, "   The Holiday" (2006), "Sherlock Holmes" (2009), "Repo Men" (2010), "Contagion" (2011), "Hugo" (2011) and "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" (2011)
  • Gwyneth Paltrow (Polly Perkins) ("Hook" (1991), "Malice" (1993), "Seven" (1995), "Sliding Doors" (1998), "Shakespeare in Love" (1998), "The Talented Mr. Ripley" (1999), "Duets" (2000), "The Royal Tenenbaums" (2001), "Shallow Hal" (2001), "Austin Powers in Goldmember" (2002), "Proof" (2005), "Iron Man" (2008), "Iron Man 2" (2010), "Contagion" (2011), "The Avengers" (2012)
  • Angelina Jolie (Commander Francesca "Franky" Cook) ("Hackers" (1995), "Foxfire" (1996), "Gia" (1998), "Pushing Tin" (1999), "The Bone Collector" (1999), "Gir, Interrupted" (1999), "Gone in 60 Seconds" (2000), "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" (2001), "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life" (2003), "Taking Lives" (2004), "The Good Shepherd" (2006), "Beowulf" (2007), "Kung Fu Panda" (2008), "Wanted" (2008), "The Tourist" (2010), "Kung Fu Panda 2" (2011)
  • Giovanni Ribisi (Dexter “Dex” Dearborn) ("That Thing You Do" (1996), "The Postman" (1997), "Saving Private Ryan" (1998), "The Other Sister" (1999), "The Mod Squad" (1999), "Gone in 60 Seconds" (2000), "The Virgin Suicides" (2000), "Basic" (2003), "Cold Mountain" (2003), "Flight of the Phoenix" (2004), "Avatar" (2009), "The Rum Diary" (2011)

The film also features Michael Gambon (Morris Paley), Omid Djalili (Kaji), Bai Ling (The Mysterious Woman), Julian Curry (Dr. Jorge Vargas), Trevor Baxter (Dr. Walter Jennings), Peter Law (Dr. Aler Kessler), Laurence Olivier (Dr. Totenkopf) (Olivier had been deceased for nearly 13 years at the time of filming, and was depicted in the film via computer manipulation of video and audio from when he was a young actor) and Khan Bonfils (Creepy).

Planes with flapping wings, miniature elephants, robots with tentacle like arms, P-40s that can go underwater and large flying platforms help to make this a fascinating movie. With the blending/combination of futuristic visions/technologies with period technologies movie is priceless. The filming, to me, is visionary. Keeping comic imagery and period feel of the '30s (after all they are fighting nazi like enemies) but still with a strong futuristic feel, "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" is breathtaking.

I strongly recommend this film to anyone who likes fantasy films and/or new/creative story telling.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2012, 12:23:57 AM »
     Gia (1998/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

HBO Home Video (United States)
Director:Michael Cristofer
Writing:Jay McInerney (Writer), Michael Cristofer (Writer)
Length:119 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Angelina Jolie as Gia
Elizabeth Mitchell as Linda
Eric Michael Cole as T.J.
Kylie Travis as Stephanie
Louis Giambalvo as Joe Carangi

Plot:
It's late '70s New York. Studio 54, designer jeans, drugs and disco. One girl is living life in the fast lane. She can have any man - or any woman - she wants. Sex, money, glamour, fame, it's all within her reach. She walks toward you across the dance floor, struts toward you down the runway, stares at you from the cover of a magazine. She's a goddess. She's a star. Her name is GIA.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Genre: Drama / Biopic
Have I seen it before: No
Do I Like it as much:

Rating: 3of5

'Gia' (1998) is a is a Drama / Biopic Fantasy developed for HBO Films
  • produced by James D. Brubaker
  • screenplay by Jay McInerney
  • screenplay by Michael Cristofer (Screenplay "The Witches of Eastwick" (1987), "The Bonfire of the Vanities" (1990))
  • directed by Michael Cristofer ("Die Hard with a Vengeance" (1995) )

It stars
  • Angelina Jolie (Gia Carangi) ("Hackers" (1995), "Foxfire" (1996), "Pushing Tin" (1999), "The Bone Collector" (1999), "Gir, Interrupted" (1999), "Gone in 60 Seconds" (2000), "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" (2001), "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life" (2003), "Taking Lives" (2004), "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" (2004), "The Good Shepherd" (2006), "Beowulf" (2007), "Kung Fu Panda" (2008), "Wanted" (2008), "The Tourist" (2010), "Kung Fu Panda 2" (2011)
  • Faye Dunaway (Wilhelmina Cooper) ("Bonnie and Clyde" (1967), " The Thomas Crown Affair" (1968), "Little Big Man" (1970), "The Three Musketeers" (1973), "Chinatown" (1974), "The Towering Inferno" (1974), "The Four Musketeers" (1974), "Three Days of the Condor" (1975), "Network" (1976), "The Champ" (1979), "Mommie Dearest" (1981), "Don Juan DeMarco" (1995), "The Chamber" (1996), "The Thomas Crown Affair" (1999), "The Rules of Attraction" (2002)
  • Mercedes Ruehl (Kathleen Carangi) ("Heartburn" (1986), "Big" (1988), "Married to the Mob" (1988), "Crimes and Misdemeanors" (1989), "Crazy People" (1990), "The Fisher King" (1991), "Last Action Hero" (1993) plus numerous TV shows

The film also features Daniel Caltagirone (Sinclair / Governor Odious), Marcus Wesley (Ice delivery man / Otta Benga), Robin Smith (One-legged actor / Luigi), Jeetu Verma (Orange picker / Indian), Kim Uylenbroek (Doctor / Alexander the Great), Leo Bill (Orderly / Charles Darwin), Emil Hostina (Alexandria's father / Blue Bandit), Julian Bleach (Elderly patient / Mystic)

This is the sad story of super model (considered one of the first) Gia Carangi who at the age of 26 died from complications of AIDS. Born in 1960, by 1978 at the age of 18 she was already well established in the fashion world. Regardless of her success, or maybe because of it, her demons won out and she became hooked on heroin reportedly getting AIDS from an infected needle. Although I am not a big fan of Angelina Jolie in this type of movie I did enjoy it (if that is the word) very much. Because of the subject matter it can be *depressing* and for that reason it is not for everyone. It is also very sexually explicit in Gia's lesbian tendencies.

All in all, I do recommend film this to everyone who likes Biopics, but just be aware of the subject matter. Much drugs and sexual content.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2012, 04:02:50 AM »
    Harvey: Award Winners (1950/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Home Video (United States)
Director:Henry Koster
Writing:Mary Chase (Original Material By), Mary Chase (Screenwriter), Oscar Brodney (Screenwriter)
Length:104 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Nana Bryant as Mrs. Ethel Chumley
Grace Mills as Mrs. Ethel Chauvenet
Clem Bevans as Herman Schimmelplusser
Wallace Ford as The Taxi Driver
William Lynn as Judge Gaffney

Plot:
James Stewart gives one of his finest performances in this lighthearted film, based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning play.

Stewart stars as the good-natured Elwood P. Dowd, whose constant companion is Harvey, a six-foot tall rabbit that only he can see.

To his sister, Veta Louise, Elwood's obsession with Harvey has been a thorn in the side of her plans to marry off her daughter. But when Veta Louise decides to put Elwood in a mental hospital, a hilarious mix-up occurs and she finds herself committed instead.

It's up to Elwood to straighten out the mess with his kindly philosophy, and his "imaginary" friend, in this popular classic that features a Best Supporting Actress Academy Award® winning performance by Josephine Hull.

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned
  • Introduction by Jimmy Stewart

My Thoughts:

Genre: Comedy
Do I Like it as much: YES
Last Watched: 6/25/2012

Rating: 4.5/5

'Harvey' (1950) is a comedy
  • produced by John Beck
  • screenplay by Mary Chase
  • screenplay by Oscar Brodney ("The Brass Bottle" (1964), "Tammy and the Doctor" (1963), "Tammy Tell Me True" (1961), "The Purple Mask" (1955), "The Black Shield of Falworth" (1954), "The Glenn Miller Story" (1953), "Francis Goes to West Point" (1952) "Mexican Hayride" (1948) )
  • screenplay by Myles Connolly ("Hans Christian Andersen" (1952) )
  • directed by Henry Koster (("The Singing Nun" (1966), "Take Her, She's Mine" (1963), "Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation" (1962), "Flower Drum Song" (1961), "My Man Godfrey" (1957), "A Man Called Peter" (1955), "The Robe" (1953), "Mr. Belvedere Rings the Bell " (1951), "The Inspecter General" (1949), "The Bishop's Wife: (1947))

It stars
  • James Stewart (Elwood P. Dowd) ("After the Thin Man" (1936), "You Can't Take It With You" (1938), "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" (1939), "Destry Rides Again" (1939), "The Shop Around the Corner" (1940), "The Philadelphia Story" (1940), "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946), "Rope" (1948), "Winchester '73" (1950), "Broken Arrow" (1950), "The Greatest Show on Earth" (1952), "Bend of the River, " (1952), "The Naked Spur" (1953), "The Glenn Miller Story" (1953), "Rear Window" (1954), "The Far Country" (1954), "Strategic Air Command" (1955), "The Man from Laramie" (1955), "The Spirit of St. Louis" (1957), "Night Passage" (1957), "Vertigo", (1958), "Bell, Book and Candle" (1958), "Anatomy of a Murder" (1959), "Two Rode Together" (1961), "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (1962), "Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation" (1962), How the West Was Won" (1962), "Take Her, She's Mine" (1963), "Cheyenne Autumn" (1964), "Dear Brigitte" (1965), "Shenandoah" (1965), "The Rare Breed" (1066), "The Cheyenne Social Club" (1970), "The Shootist" (1976), "The Big Sleep" (1978), "An American Tail: Fievel Goes West" (1991) voice only)
  • Josephine Hull (Veta Louise Simmons) ("Arsenic and Old Lace" (1944))
  • Peggy Dow (Miss Kelly)
  • Charles Drake (Dr. Lyman Sanderson) ("Dear Heart" (1964), "The Lively Set" (1964), "To Hell and Back" (1955), "The Glenn Miller Story" (1954) , "It Came from Outer Space" (1953), "Winchester '73" (1950))
  • Cecil Kellaway (Dr. Willie Chumley) ("The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946), "Practically Yours (1944), "The Invisible Man Returns (1940), "The House of the Seven Gables (1940), "The Mummy's Hand (1940), "I Married a Witch (1942), "The Luck of the Irish (1948), "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953), "The Shaggy Dog (1959), "Hush… Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964), "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967), "Fitzwilly (1967))

The film also features William H. Lynn (Judge Gaffney), Victoria Horne (Myrtle Mae Simmons), Jesse White (Marvin Wilson), Wallace Ford (Cab Driver), Nana Bryant (Mrs. Chumley), Grayce Mills (Mrs. Chauvenet)

What can I say about this film? This is probably one of my favorite James Stewart films and one of probably the 100 best comedy films ever made. It almost has a "Capraesque" feeling about it which by itself makes it a great film.

James Stewart just about caries the entire film himself, as it is mostly just him and Harvey. But there is a superb cast there to support him, and support they do quite well. With actors like Cecil Kellaway, Jessie White and Josephine Hull how could this film be anything but great movie.

I recommend this film to everyone of all ages.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2012, 06:57:47 AM »
     The Flight of the Phoenix: Widescreen Edition (1965/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Robert Aldrich
Writing:Lukas Heller (Screenwriter), Elleston Trevor (Original Material By)
Length:142 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
James Stewart (1908) as Frank Towns
Richard Attenborough as Lew Moran
Peter Finch as Captain Harris
Hardy Krüger as Heinrich Dorfmann
Ernest Borgnine as Trucker Cobb

Plot:
James Stewart heads an impressive cast that includes Richard Attenborough, Peter Finch and Ernest Borgnine in this gripping tale of courage and suspense. When their cargo plane crashes in the Sahara Desert, the only hope for a crew of oilmen and military personnel is to try to rebuild the craft before they all perish from heat and deprivation. Based on Elleston Trevor's popular novel of the same name, and artfully directed by Robert Aldrich, THE FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX is a riveting combination of finely honed character studies and an exciting story line.

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Genre:
Last Watched: 6/27/2012

Rating: 4/5

'Flight of the Phoenix' (1950) is a is a Drama/Adventure film
  • produced by Robert Aldrich ("Apache" (1954), "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" (1962), "4 for Texas" (1963), "Hush… Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964), "The Dirty Dozen" (1967), "Ulzana's Raid" (1972), "Emperor of the North" (1973), "The Longest Yard" (1974), "Hustle" (1975), "The Frisco Kid" (1979), "...All the Marbles" (1981) and lots of TV shows)
  • screenplay from the original novel by Elleston Trevor
  • screenplay by Lukas Heller ("The Dirty Dozen" (1967), "Hush… Hush, Sweet Charlotte" (1964), "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" (1962) and "Damnation Alley" (1977))
  • directed by Robert Aldrich (see above)

It stars
  • James Stewart (Capt. Frank Towns) ("After the Thin Man" (1936), "You Can't Take It With You" (1938), "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" (1939), "Destry Rides Again" (1939), "The Shop Around the Corner" (1940), "The Philadelphia Story" (1940), "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946), "Rope" (1948), "Winchester '73" (1950), "Broken Arrow" (1950), "The Greatest Show on Earth" (1952), "Bend of the River, " (1952), "The Naked Spur" (1953), "The Glenn Miller Story" (1953), "Rear Window" (1954), "The Far Country" (1954), "Strategic Air Command" (1955), "The Man from Laramie" (1955), "The Spirit of St. Louis" (1957), "Night Passage" (1957), "Vertigo", (1958), "Bell, Book and Candle" (1958), "Anatomy of a Murder" (1959), "Two Rode Together" (1961), "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (1962), "Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation" (1962), How the West Was Won" (1962), "Take Her, She's Mine" (1963), "Cheyenne Autumn" (1964), "Dear Brigitte" (1965), "Shenandoah" (1965), "The Rare Breed" (1066), "The Cheyenne Social Club" (1970), "The Shootist" (1976), "The Big Sleep" (1978), "An American Tail: Fievel Goes West" (1991) voice only)
  • Hardy Krüger (Heinrich Dorfmann) ("Hatari!" (1962), "Paper Tiger" (1975), "A Bridge Too Far" (1977))
  • Richard Attenborough (Lew Moran) ("The Great Escape" (1963), "The Sand Pebbles" (1966), "Doctor Dolittle" (1967), "The Magic Christian" (1969), "And Then There Were None" (1974), "brannigan" (1975), "A Bridge Too Far" (1977), "Magic" (1978), "Gandhi" (1982), "Chaplin" (1992), "Jurassic Park" (1993), "Miricle on 34th Street" (1994), "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" (1997), "Elizabeth" (1998))
  • Peter Finch (Capt Harris) ("Sunday Bloody Sunday" (1971), "Lost Horizon" (1973), "Network" (1976))

The film also features Ernest Borgnine (Trucker Cobb), Ian Bannen ("Ratbags" Crow), Ronald Fraser (Sgt. Watson), Christian Marquand (Dr. Renaud), Dan Duryea (Standish), George Kennedy (Mike Bellamy), Gabriele Tinti (Gabriel), Alex Montoya (Carlos), Peter Bravos (Tasso), William Aldrich (Bill), Barrie Chase (Farida).

This is the 1965 version of "Flight of the Phoenix" with the remake staring Dennis Quaid being found here .

This film is a perfect example of how you can have a drama with no blood and guts and with no special effects. This movie relies on a great director, a very well done script and an ensemble cast that can pull off the scenes.

The cinematography is very good. But the hallmark here is the acting performed by the cast. James Stewart, in what is actually the latter part of his career is right on point with his portrayal of Capt. Fran Towns. And Richard Attenborough is brilliant as his drunken co-pilot. But I think that Hardy Kruger actually stole the show as the person everyone wants to hate but who they must rely on.

I strongly recommend this film to everyone who likes good drama.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2012, 06:06:37 PM »
    Air Force One (1997/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Director:Wolfgang Petersen
Writing:Andrew W. Marlowe (Writer)
Length:124 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Harrison Ford (1942) as President James Marshall
Gary Oldman as Ivan Korshunov
Glenn Close as Vice President Kathryn Bennett
Wendy Crewson as Grace Marshall
Liesel Matthews as Alice Marshall

Plot:
Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman and Glenn Close star in two-time Oscar®-nominee* Wolfgang Petersen's gripping thriller about a steadfast U.S. President who has just told the world he will not negotiate with terrorists. Now, Russian neo-nationalists have hijacked Air Force One, and the President is faced with a nearly impossible decision – give in to terrorist demands or sacrifice not only the country's dignity, but the lives of his wife and daughter.

*1981, Das Boot, Director, Screenplay Adaptation

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Genre: Action / Thriller
Last Watched: 6/24/2012

Rating: 3/5

'Air Force One' (1997) is a Action / Thriller film
  • produced by Armyan Bernstein (as producer "The Hurricane" (1999), "End of Days" (1999), "Thirteen Days" (2000), "The Family Man" (2000), "Spy Game" (2001), "Tuck Everlasting" (2002), "Open Range" (2003), "Dawn of the Dead" (2004), "Firewall" (2005), "Children of Men" (2006) )
  • produced by Thomas Bliss (as producer "The Hurricane" (1999), "End of Days" (1999), "Thirteen Days" (2000), "The Family Man" (2000), "Spy Game" (2001), "Tuck Everlasting" (2002), "Dawn of the Dead" (2004), "Children of Men" (2006), "Flash of Genius" (2008) )
  • produced by Gail Katz (as producer "Shattered" (1991), "In the Line of Fire" (1993), "Outbreak" (1995) ), "Mighty Joe Young" (1998), "Instinct" (1999), "Bicentennial Man" (1999), "The Perfect Storm" (2000) )
  • produced by Jonathan Shestack ("Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" (2009), "Dan in Real Life" (2007), "Firewall" (2006))
  • produced by Wolfgang Petersen (as producer "Shattered" (1991), "In the Line of Fire" (1993), "Outbreak" (1995), "Red Corner" (1997), "Troy" (2004))
  • screenplay by Andrew W. Marlowe ("End of Days" (1999), "Hollow Man" (2000) )
  • directed by Wolfgang Petersen as director ("Das Boot" (1091), "The NeverEnding Story" (1984), "Enemy Mine" (1985), "Shattered" (1991), "In the Line of Fire" (1993), "Outbreak" (1995), "Red Corner" (1997), "The Perfect Storm" (2000), "Troy" (2004))

It stars
  • Harrison Ford (President James Marshall) ("Getting Straight" (1970), "American Graffiti" (1973), "The Conversation" (1974), "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" (1977), "Force 10 from Navarone" (1978), "Apocalypse Now" (1979), "The Frisco Kid" (1979), "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back" (1980), "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (1981), "Blade Runner", (1982), "Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi" (1983), "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom), (1984), "Witness" (1985), "The Mosquito Coast" (1986), "Frantic" (1988), "Working Girl" (1988), "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" (1989), Presumed Innocent" (1990), "Regarding Henry" (1991), "Patriot Games" (1992), "The Fugitive" (1993), "Clear and Present Danger" (1994), "Sabrina" (1995), "The Devil's Own" (1997), "Six Days and Seven Nights" (1998), "What Lies Beneath" (2000), "Hollywood Homicide" (2003), "Firewall" (2006), "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" (2008), "Extraordinary Measures" (2010), "Cowboys & Aliens" (2011) )
  • Gary Oldman (Egor Korshunov) ("Criminal Law" (1988), "The FIrm" (1988), "Dracula" (1992), "True Romance" (1993), "Léon: The Professional" (1994), "Immortal Beloved" (1994), "Murder in the First" (1995), "The Fifth Element" (1997), "Lost in Space" (1998), "Hannibal" (2001), "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" (2004), "Batman Begins" (2004), "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (2005), "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (2007), "The Dark Knight" (2008), "The Unborn" (2009), "Kung Fu Panda 2" (2011) voice only, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2" (2011) )
  • Glenn Close (Vice President Kathryn Bennett) ("The World According to Garp" (1982), "The Big Chill" (1983), "The Natural" (1984), "Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes" (1984), "Jagged Edge" (1985), "Fatal Attraction" (1987), "Dangerous Liaisons" (1988), "Hook" (1991), "Mars Attacks!" (1996), "Mary Reilly" (1996), "In & Out" (1997), "Cookie's Fortune" (1999), "The Stepford Wives" (2004), "Hoodwinked!" (2006) )

The film also features Wendy Crewson (Grace Marshall), Liesel Matthews (Alice Marshall), Dean Stockwell (Secretary of Defense Walter Dean), Elya Baskin (Andrei Kolchak), Levan Uchaneishvili (Sergei Lenski), David Vadim (Igor Nevsky), Andrew Divoff (Boris Bazylev), Ilia Volok (Vladimir Krasin), Paul Guilfoyle (White House Chief of Staff Lloyd Shepherd), Xander Berkeley (United States Secret Service Agent Gibbs), William H. Macy (Major Caldwell), Alan Woolf (Russian President Petrov), Tom Everett (National Security Advisor Jack Doherty), Jürgen Prochnow (General Ivan Radek), Donna Bullock (Deputy Press Secretary Melanie Mitchell), Michael Ray Miller (Colonel Axelrod), Carl Weintraub (Lieutenant Colonel Ingraham), Spencer Garrett as White House Aide Thomas Lee), Bill Smitrovich (General Northwood), Glenn Morshower (Agent Walters), David Gianopoulos (Agent Johnson), Dan Shor (Notre Dame Aide), Philip Baker Hall (U.S. Atty. General Andrew Ward), Richard Doyle (Colonel Bob Jackson, A.F.O. Backup Pilot), Willard Pugh (White House Communications Officer), Don R. McManus (Colonel Jack Carlton, F-15 "Halo Flight" Leader).

This is a great Action / Thriller and finds Harrison Ford in his prime. I think this is the type of movie that Harrison Ford was born to play. Sure, he has done light weight 'Romantic Comedies' like "Sabrina"  a remake of the 1954 film "Sabrina" which starred Humphrey Bogart. He did a good job but it looked like he was stiff throughout the film. He didn't look comfortable. Although I did enjoy him in "Working Girl".

But in action films like this one, "Blade Runner", The Star Wars Trilogy  and the Indiana Jones Quadrilogy  he shines. He also does a very good job in drama films like "Regarding Henry", "Frantic" and "The Devil's Own".  He is always a good watch.

And Gary Oldman, what to say about him. From his short but brilliant role as Mason Verger in "Hannibal" to his over the top portrayals of the cop Norman Stansfield in "Léon: The Professional" and Jean-Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg in "The Fifth Element" he shines. He brings with his performances a brilliance. His characters, no matter how insane, loathsome or cruel simply shine on the screen.

And Wolfgang Petersen did another good job in his direction. From family entertainment like "The NeverEnding Story" to drama films like "Das Boot" and "In the Line of Fire" his direction is crisp and clean.  The action comes hard and fast with little time in between to breath.

Is this the best action movie ever made .. nope .. and it isn't rocket science either, but it is a fun watch.

I recommend this film to everyone who just wants to be entertained.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:55:21 PM by DSig »
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2012, 08:37:27 PM »
     Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Director:Kevin Reynolds
Writing:Pen Densham (Story By), Pen Densham (Screenwriter), John Watson (Screenwriter)
Length:143 min.
Video:Widescreen :1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital:
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Kevin Costner as Robin Hood
Morgan Freeman (1937)
Christian Slater
Alan Rickman as Sheriff of Nottingham
Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio

Plot:
Two-time Academy Award winner®• Kevin Costner plays the legendary Sherwood Forest outlaw leader in a richly textured epic bringing a 12th-century medieval world to spectacular screen life. Filmed at historic locales in England and France, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves brims with the romance, passion, pageantry and humor that have made this remarkable nobleman a hero through the ages and his story the focus of many movies over the past century. Morgan Freeman as Moorish aristocrat Azeem, Christian Slater as rebellious Will Scarlett, Alan Rickman as the evil Sheriff of Nottingham and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio as the spirited Lady Marian also star.

(click to show/hide)
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2012, 04:53:59 AM »
     The Man with the Golden Arm: Frank Sinatra Collection (1955/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Director:Otto Preminger
Writing:Walter Newman (Screenwriter), Lewis Meltzer (Screenwriter), Nelson Algren (Original Material By)
Length:119 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Frank Sinatra
Eleanor Parker
Kim Novak
Arnold Stang
Darren McGavin

Plot:
Drummer Frankie Machine is out of detox and eager to get on with a big band career. He’s sure that he has kicked his habit. But the habit kicks back.

In 'The Man with the Golden Arm', Frank Sinatra gives a piercing, Academy Award®-nominated* portrayal many call his best. (The film's art direction and Elmer Bernstein’s smoky jazz score also earned Oscar® nominations.) Pioneering moviemaker Otto Preminger directs this landmark that first defied Production Code taboos against on-screen depictions of drug abuse. 'A Hatful of Rain', 'The Panic in Needle Park', 'Clean and Sober', 'Drugstore Cowboy', 'Rush' and 'Blow' would offer later portraits of narcotic terror. But it all started with this harrowing, grown-up film.

*1955: Best Actor.

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

Genre: Drama
Last Watched: 6/28/2012

Rating: 4/5

"The Man with the Golden Arm" (1955) is Drama film
  • directed by Otto Preminger (as director "Fallen Angel" (1945), "Carmen Jones" (1954), "River of No Return" (1954), "Porgy and Bess" (1959), "Anatomy of a Murder" (1959), "Exodus" (1960), "Advise and Consent" (1962), "Skidoo" (1968) )
  • produced by Otto Preminger
  • screenplay by Walter Newman ("Cat Ballou" (1965), "The Magnificent Seven" (1960) uncredited, and TV shows )
  • screenplay by Lewis Meltzer ("Jazz Singer" (1952), "Comanche Territory" (1950) and TV shows/series )
  • screenplay by Ben Hecht (uncredited) (many screenplays with many 'uncredited' credits. Checkout screenplays here

It stars
  • Frank Sinatra (Frankie Machine) ("Anchors Aweigh" (1945), "The Miracle of the Bells" (1948), "On the Town" (1949), "From Here to Eternity" (1953), "Young at Heart" (1954), "Guys and Dolls" (1955), "Finian's Rainbow" (1955), "High Society" (1956), "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1956), "Pal Joey", (1957), "The Pride and the Passion" (1957), "A Hole in the Head", (1959), "Can-Can" (1960), "Ocean's Eleven" (1960), "The Devil at 4 O'Clock" (1961), "The Manchurian Candidate" (1962), "Sergeants 3" (1962), "4 for Texas" (1963), "Robin and the 7 Hoods" (1964), "Von Ryan's Express" (1965), "Assault on a Queen" (1966), "Tony Rome" (1967), "Lady in Cement" (1968), "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" (1988) voice only )
  • Eleanor Parker (Zosh) ("Of Human Bondage" (1946), "Detective Story" (1951), "The Naked Jungle" (1954), "A Hole in the Head" (1959), "The Sound of Music" (1965), "The Tiger and the Pussycat" (1967) )
  • Kim Novak (Molly) ("Picnic" (1955), "The Man with the Golden Arm" (1955), "Pal Joey" (1957), "Vertigo" (1958), "Bell, Book and Candle" (1958), "Strangers When We Meet" (1960), "The Notorious Landlady" (1962), "Boys' Night Out" (1962), "Of Human Bondage" (1964), "The Mirror Crack'd" (1980), "Liebestraum" (1991) )
  • Arnold Stang (Sparrow) ("Dennis the Menace " (1993), "Skidoo " (1968), "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" (1963) and a lot of TV shows including being the voice to "Top Cat" )

The film also features Darren McGavin (Louie Fomorowski), Robert Strauss (Zero Schwiefka), John Conte (Drunky John), Doro Merande (Vi), George E. Stone (Sam Markette), George Mathews (Williams), Leonid Kinskey (Dominowski) and Emile Meyer (Detective Bednar)

Otto Preminger was a great director and this is one of my favorites of his.

Frank Sinatra gives a very powerful performance as Frankie Machine, a heroin addict always trying to stay straight and make his way. But always failing to stay straight and always blowing his chances. Arnold Stang gives a powerful performance as Sparrow, Frankie's best friend. Well actually he follows Frankie around like a pup. Eleanor Parker gives a great performance as Zosh, Frankies crippled wife. She is manic about Frankie to the point of perfection.  And Kim Novak is great as Molly. An old flame of Frankie's and she still loves him. She plays the truely supporting friend/lover.

With this ensemble cast it would be hard to come up short and Otto Preminger does a masterful job of blending the performers with a very good script and great filming.

I strongly recommend this film to anyone.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2012, 05:09:15 PM »
     Hard Candy: Widescreen (2005/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Lions Gate Entertainment (United States)
Director:David Slade
Writing:Brian Nelson (Writer)
Length:104 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Ellen Page as Hayley Stark
Patrick Wilson as Jeff Kohlver
Sandra Oh as Judy Tokuda
Odessa Rae [Jennifer Holmes] as Janelle Rogers
Gilbert John as Nighthawks Clerk

Plot:
A smart, charming teenage girl, Hayley probably shouldn't be going to a local coffee shop to meet Jeff, a 30-something fashion photographer she met on the Internet. But before she knows it, she's mixing drinks at Jeff's place and stripping for an impromptu photo shoot. It's Jeff's lucky night. But Hayley isn't as innocent as she looks, and the night takes a turn when she begins to impose a hard-hitting investigation on Jeff in an attempt to reveal his possibly scandalous past.

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Genre: Drama / Crime Thriller
Rating: R
Last Watched: 6/27/2012

Review: 4/5

"Hard Candy" (1955) is a Drama / Crime Thriller film
  • directed by David Slade (as director "30 Days of Night" (2007), "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" (2010), and TV shows including "Braking Bad" )
  • produced by Rosanne Korenberg
  • produced by Paul Allen
  • screenplay by Brian Nelson ("30 Days of Night" (2007), "Devil" (2011), and TV shows including "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman", "Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict" and "JAG")

It stars
  • Patrick Wilson (Jeff Kohlver) ("The Alamo" (2004), "Watchmen" (2009), "Insidious" (2011) )
  • Ellen Page (Hayley Stark) ("X-Men: The Last Stand" (2006), "Juno" (2007), "Smart People" (2008), "Inception" (2010) )

The film also features Sandra Oh (Judy Tokuda), Odessa Rae (Janelle Rogers) and Gilbert John (Nighthawks Clerk)

This is a brilliant, hard and edgy film. It deals with the subject of a pedophile and revenge, and for that reason it might not be for some people. This isn't for the young.

This is an Ellen Page film. Patrick Wilson is very good in his role. You feel sorry for him, you believe him and you even hope that he gets out of trouble .. could she be wrong?

But this is an Ellen Page film. She carries it. Her character is so intense that you can't stop watching her. No matter what she does you "feel" for her. It is hard to believe that it is another 2 years before she does "Juno". She is so strong in this movie I can only believe that the entire film project was just developed for her.

There is no sex or real violence (except at the end), but it is 'R' rated.  But I strongly recommend this film to anyone capable of watching this type of intensity.
Thank you
David

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2012, 05:33:55 PM »
This is a brilliant, hard and edgy film. It deals with the subject of a pedophile and revenge, and for that reason it might not be for some people. This isn't for the young.

This is an Ellen Page film. Patrick Wilson is very good in his role. You feel sorry for him, you believe him and you even hope that he gets out of trouble .. could she be wrong?
Mild spoilers ahead.
(click to show/hide)

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2012, 09:14:40 PM »

Mild spoilers ahead.
(click to show/hide)

Yep .. he definitely didn't just "phone it in".  On first watch I really loved the film.  An now on second watch I think it still holds up.

Glad you liked it too
Dsig
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2012, 10:30:41 PM »
     First Knight (1995/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Director:Jerry Zucker
Writing:Lorne Cameron (Original Material By), David Hoselton (Original Material By), William Nicholson (Original Material By), William Nicholson (Screenwriter)
Length:134 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Korean, Spanish

Stars:
Sean Connery as Arthur
Richard Gere as Lancelot
Julia Ormond as Guinevere
Ben Cross as Malagant
Liam Cunningham as Sir Agravaine

Plot:
Together, Sean Connery, Richard Gere, Julia Ormond (Legends of the Fall, Sabrina) and Jerry Zucker, the director of Ghost, bring you a new vision of King Arthur's Camelot. A vision of breathtaking battles, of heart-pounding courage, of the undeniable love that brought an entire kingdom to its knees...and of the undying passion that made it live forever.

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Genre: Adventure / Romantic Drama
Rating: PG-13
Do I Like it as much: No
Last Watched: 6/24/2012

Review: 3/5

"First Knight" (1995) is a Adventure / Drama film
  • directed by Jerry Zucker (as director " The Kentucky Fried Movie" (1977), "Airplane!" (1980), "Ruthless People" (1986), "Naked Gun" (1988), "Ghost" (1990), "Naked Gun 2½" (1991), "Naked Gun 33 1/3" )
  • produced by Hunt Lowry ("Airplane!" (1980), "Only the Lonely" (1991), "The Last of the Mohicans" (1992), "Striking Distance" (1993), "My Life" (1993), "A Time to Kill" (1996), "Instinct" (1999), "The Kid" (2000), "Donnie Darko" (2001), "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" (2002), "What a Girl Wants" (2003) )
  • produced by Jerry Zucker (as producer "Rat Race" (2001), "Fair Game" (2010)
  • screenplay by William Nicholson ("Gladiator" (2000), "Shadowlands" (1993) and "Nell" (1994) )

• from story by Lorne Cameron
  • from story by David Hoselton
  • from story by William Nicholson

[/list]

It stars
  • Richard Gere (Lancelot) ("Looking for Mr. Goodbar" (1977), "Days of Heaven" (1978), "American Giolo" (1980), "An Officer and a Gentleman" (1982), "The Cotton Club" (1984), "Internal Affairs" (1990), "Pretty Woman" (1990), 'Final Analysis" (1992), "Primal Fear" (1996), "Red Coner" (1997), "Runaway Bride" (1999), "Unfaithful" (2002), "The Mothman Prophecies" (2002), "Shall We Dance?" (2004) )
  • Julia Ormond (Giomevere) ("Legends of the Fall" (1994), "Sabrina" (1995), "Animal Farm" (1999) voice only, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (2008) plus TV series such as "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" and "Mad Men" )
  • Sean Connery (King Arthur) ("Darby O'Gill and the Little People" (1959), "The Longest Day" (1962), "Dr. No" (1962), "From Russida with Love" (1963), "Marnie" (1964), "Goldfinger" (1964), "Thunderball" (1965), "A Fine Madness" (1966), "You Only Live Twice" (1967), "The Molly Maguires", (1970), "The Anderson Tapes" (1971), "Diamonds are Forever" (1971), "The Offence" (1973), "Zardoz" (1974), "Murder on the Orient Express" (1974), "The Man Who Would Be King" (1975), "Robin and Marian" (1976), "A Bridge Too Far" (1977), "The FIrst Great Train Robbery" (1979), "Meteor" (1979), "Outland" (1981), "Time Bandits" (1981), "Never Say Never Again" (1983), "Highlander" (1986), "The Name of the Rose" (1986), "The Untouchables" (1987), "The Presidio" (1988), "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" (1989), "Family Business" (1989), "The Hunt for Red October" (1990), "The Russia House" (1990), "Highlander II: The Quckening" (1991), "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" (1991), "Medicine Man" (1992), "Rising Sun" (1993), "Just Cause" (1995), "Frist Knight" (1995), "Dragonheart" (1996) voice only, "The Rock" (1996), "The Avengers" (1998), "Entrapment" (1999), "Finding Forrester" (2000), "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" (2003) )
  • Ben Cross (Prince Malagant) ("A Bridge Too Far" (1977), "Chariots of Fire" (1981), "The Ascent" (1994), "The Invader" (1997), "Exorcist: The Beginning" (2004), "War, Inc" (2008), "Star Trek" (2009) )

The film also features John Gielgud (Oswald), Liam Cunningham (Sir Agravaine), Christopher Villiers (Sir Kay), Valentine Pelka (Sir Patrise), Colin McCormack (Sir Mador), Alexis Denisof (Sir Gaheris), Ralph Ineson (Ralf), Stuart Bunce (Peter) and Angus Wright (The Marauder).

You would think that with Jerry Zucker directing and Connery, Gere and Ormond staring this should be a great film. But it really isn't. It has some nice bits and is entertaining. But that is the best I can say about it.

Connery does not appear to have his heart in the part. Maybe playing Robin Hood in so many films and he doesn't feel right in the part of Arthur. I also don't find Richard Gere credible in the part of Lancelot. For me he is primarily a Thriller/Drama kind of actor.

I did really like Julia Ormonds role. And Ben Cross as Prince Malagant was wonderful.

Maybe it was the storyline. It seemed to veer a lot from the "Arthur" films/stories I had seen in the past. Maybe that was it.

Don't get me wrong, this is an entertaining film but simply isn't great as it could have been. I do recommend this film if you haven't seen it and if you are into the "Arthurian" legends.
Thank you
David

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2012, 06:19:04 AM »
     Knowing (2009/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Summit Entertainment (United States)
Director:Alex Proyas
Writing:Ryne Douglas Pearson (Story By), Ryne Douglas Pearson (Screenwriter), Juliet Snowden (Screenwriter), Stiles White (Screenwriter)
Length:121 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Nicolas Cage as John Koestler
Chandler Canterbury as Caleb Koestler
Rose Byrne as Diana
Lara Robinson as Abby / Lucinda
D. G. Maloney [D.G. Maloney] as The Stranger

Plot:
Nicolas Cage (National Treasure) stars in this edge of your seat sci-fi thriller as John Koestler, a professor who deciphers a coded message with terrifyingly accurate predictions about every major world disaster. Looking to protect his family and prevent future calamities he enlists the reluctant help of Diana Wayland {Rose Byrne}, daughter of the now-deceased author of the prophecies. His quest to understand the messages and his own family's involvement in them becomes a heart-pounding race against time as he faces the ultimate disaster.

(click to show/hide)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

Genre:
Rating: PG-13
Have I seen it before:
Do I Like it as much:
Last Watched:

Review: 4/5

"Knowing" (2009) is Drama / Thriller film
  • directed by Alex Proyas (as director "The Crow" (1994), "Dark City" (1998), "I, Robot" (2004), "Knowing" (2009) )
  • produced by Todd Black ("Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot" (1992), "Fire in the Sky" (1993), "A Knight's Tale" (2001), "S.W.A.T." (2003), "The Weather Man" (2005), "The Pursuit of Happyness (2005), "Seven Pounds" (2008), "Knowing" (2009), "The Taking of Pelham 123" (2009) )
  • produced by Jason Blumenthal ("Bio-Dome" (1996), "The Weather Man" (2005), "The Pursuit of Happyness (2005), "Seven Pounds" (2008), "Knowing" (2009), "The Taking of Pelham 123" (2009) )
  • produced by Steve Tisch ("The Weather Man" (2005), "The Pursuit of Happyness (2005), "Seven Pounds" (2008), "Knowing" (2009), "The Taking of Pelham 123" (2009) )
  • screenplay by Ryne Douglas Pearson ("Mercury Rising" (2006) )
  • screenplay by Juliet Snowden ("Knowing" (2009) )
  • screenplay by Stiles White ("Knowing" (2009))

It stars
  • Nicolas Cage (Professor Jonathan "John" Koestler) ("Brubaker" (1980)uncredited, "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" (1982), "Rumble Fish" (1983), "Peggie Sue Got Married" (1986), "Raising Arizona" (1987), "Moonstruck" (1987), "Vampire's Kiss" (1989), "Honeymoon in Vegas" (1992), "Amos & Andrew" (1993), "Guarding Tess", (1994), "It Could Happen to You" (1994), "Trapped in Paradise", (1994), "Kiss of Death" (1995), "Leaving Las Vegas" (1995), "The Rock" (1996), "Con Air" (1997), "Face/Off" (1997), "City of Angels" (1998), "Snake Eyes" (1998), "8mm" (1999), "Bringing Out the Dead" (1999), "Gone in Sixty Seconds" (2000), "The Family Man" (2000), "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" (2001), "Windtalkers" (2002), "Adaptation" (2002), "Matchstick Men" (2003), "Lord of War" (2005), "The Weather Man" (2005), "The Wicker Man" (2006), "Ghost Rider" (2007), "Next" (2007), "National Treasure: Book of Secrets" (2007), "Bangkok Dangerous" (2008), "Knowing" (2009), "Astro Boy" (2009) voice only, "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" (2010) )
  • Rose Byrne (Diana Wayland / adult Lucinda Embry) ("Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones" (2002), "Troy" (2004), "Wicker Park" (2004), "28 Weeks Later" (2007), "Knowing" (2009), "Insidious" (2011), "X-Men: First Class" (2011) )
  • Chandler Canterbury (Caleb Koestler) ("The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (2008), "Knowing" (2009), "After.Life" (2010), "Repo Men" (2010) )

The film also features Lara Robinson (Young Lucinda Embry / Abby Wayland / Young Diana Wayland), Nadia Townsend (Grace Koestler), Ben Mendelsohn (Professor Phil Beckman), Alan Hopgood (Reverend Koestler), Adrienne Pickering (Allison Koestler), Liam Hemsworth (Spencer), D.G. Maloney, Joel Bow, Maximillian Paul, and Karen Hadfield (The whisper people), Alethea McGrath (Miss Taylor in 2009), Danielle Carter (Miss Taylor in 1959), David Lennie (school principal in 1959), Carolyn Shakespeare-Allen (school principal in 2009), Tamara Donnellan (Lucinda's mother), Travis Waite (Lucinda's father), Gareth Yuen (Donald), Lesley Anne Mitchell (Stacy), Raymond Thomas (teacher), Alyssa McClelland (flight attendant), Menik Gooneratne (woman with baby).

The first 3 movies by Alexander Proyas (director) were brilliant and you can tell from this film that he learned a lot along the road. "Knowing" is a great thriller. Plenty of good twists and turns in this film to keep you engaged.

And this is the type of film that Nicolas Cage shines in. He was good in "It Could Happen to You" and better in "City of Angels", but I think that the Action/Thriller is really his forte. He was very good in "Snake Eyes", "Windtalkers" and "Gone in Sixty Seconds" (among others). The stories where he is rushing to get something done like "Next" and "Knowing" are really good.

The rest of the cast does a very good job. Chandler Canterbury had been in just a few things by the time of this film but he performs very well. He will be fun to watch in the future.

As you can tell I really like this film. I strongly recommend this film to anyone.
Thank you
David