Author Topic: My Blu-Ray Reviews  (Read 131860 times)

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: My Blu-Ray Reviews
« Reply #600 on: November 17, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »

Title: The Rookie
Year: 1990
Director: Clint Eastwood
Rating: Rated 18 : Strong Violence
Length: 121 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spansk: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Tysk: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Italiensk: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Fransk: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Dansk, Engelsk, Finsk, Fransk, Greek, Italiensk, Norsk, Portugisisk, Spansk, Svensk, Tysk

Stars:
Clint Eastwood
Charlie Sheen
Raul Julia
Sonia Braga
Tom Skerritt
Lara Flynn Boyle

Plot:
Packing years of experience and a .45, LAPD Detective Nick Pulovski (Clint Eastwood) figures he´s got all the help he needs. He´s also got all the help he doesn´t need: a by-the-book newcomer partner (Charlie Sheen). Each one reluctantly relies on the other to stop a killer-elite auto theft gang. Co-stars include Raul Julia, Sonia Braga, Lara Flynn Boyle and Tom Skerritt. A freeway becomes an 80-mph bumper car game. A barrio bar busts open like a giant pinata. The two drive through a wall to escape an explosive building...five stories up. Fasten your seatbelt.

Extras:
Scenevalg
Feature Trailers

My Review:
Well, that was actually a better movie then i expected! A good oldschool action movie with high paced action scenes trough out the whole thing. And personally i have to say that it was good to see Charlie Sheen back in his prime, when he was as great as he could be. Its a shame to see whats happend to him the last few years. With the focus on anything but his career. And Clint Eastwood ofc is always a solid act. This is a great action movie and its highly recommaned! Just two hours of great fun!

My Rating:
5/6
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:34:15 PM by Piffi »
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 19, 2013, 09:24:45 PM »

Title: The Perfect Storm
Year: 2000
Director: Wolfgang Petersen
Rating: Från 15 år
Length: 129 Min.
Audio: Engelsk: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Engelsk: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Fransk: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Tysk: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Italiensk: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Spansk: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Kommentar: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Dansk, Engelsk, Finsk, Fransk, Italiensk, Japansk, Kinesisk, Koreansk, Norsk, Portugisisk, Spansk, Svensk, Tysk

Stars:
George Clooney
Mark Wahlberg (1971)
John C. Reilly
Diane Lane (1965)
William Fichtner
John Hawkes (1959)

Plot:
In October 1991, a confluence of weather conditions combined to form a killer storm in the North Atlantic. Caught in the storm was the sword-fishing boat Andrea Gail. Magnificent foreshadowing and anticipation fill this true-life drama while minute details of the fishing boats, their gear and the weather are juxtaposed with the sea adventure

Extras:

My Review:
So this movie i've been wanting to rewatch for a while now. And it is a allright movie for a number of reasons. The movie is based on a true story, wich always helps (i really enjoy movies based on a true story) and being the big Clooney fan that i am, and remember watching the movie when it came out and liked it then. The movie wasnt as good as i remembered it to be, but still quite allright. And again Clooney did an allright job with telling this strong story that it is. And i just have to say a quick comment about the special/visual efects. Amazing! This drama his recommanded to check out!

My Rating:
4/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 23, 2013, 11:21:21 PM »

Title: Chinatown
Year: 1974
Director: Roman Polanski
Rating: R
Length: 131 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.39:1
Audio: Engelsk: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Engelsk: Dolby TrueHD: Mono, Fransk: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spansk: Dolby Digital: Mono, Portugisisk: Dolby Digital: Mono, Kommentar: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Engelsk, Fransk, Portugisisk, Spansk

Stars:
Jack Nicholson
Faye Dunaway
John Huston
Perry Lopez
John Hillerman
Darrell Zwerling

Plot:
In a legendary performance, three-time Academy Award® winner Jack Nicholson* stars as private eye Jake Gittes. Hired by a mysterious woman to investigate Hollis Mulwray, the chief engineer of the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, Gittes' sleuthing brings him into contact with Mulwray's wife (Academy Award® winner Faye Dunaway**), a stunning socialite with secrets of her own. As a determined Gittes delves deeper he soon realizes that even the City of Angels has a dark side. Director Roman Polanski's Chinatown has evolved from an atmospheric film noir mystery into a modern-day classic, with Robert Towne's Academy Award®-winning script† unforgettably and brilliantly capturing a lost era of deceit, corruption and treachery.

*Best Actor in a Leading Role, As Good as it Gets, 1997; Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Terms of Endearment, 1983; Best Actor in a Leading Role, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, 1975.
**Best Actress in a Leading Role, Network, 1976; †Best Writing, Original Screenplay: Robert Towne, 1974.

Extras:
Scenevalg
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Dokumentar

My Review:
I cant remember if i've seen this one before or not. Didnt remember it anyways. And what a movie it was! A bit different than i thought it would be, but they made it work just perfectly trough out. And Jack Nicholson was great as the PI. Great mix between the drama\suspence\action. The picture and sound in this bluray was amazing. I havent seen the DVD (that i know of) so i dont have anything to compare it to. But i really enjoyed this! This is highly recommanded! I would go so far to say that this one is a classic.

My Rating:
6/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 24, 2013, 05:54:24 PM »
You are right .. a classic it is.  When I first saw it in the theater I didn't like it as much as I did in later years.  For me this is Roman Polanski's greatest work.  Thanks for that ... will put it on my list to watch again.
Thank you
David

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 01, 2013, 04:48:09 PM »

Title: TMNT
Year: 2007
Director: Kevin Munroe
Rating: Rated PG : Animated Action Violence, Some Scary Cartoon Images and Mild Language
Length: 87 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Kommentar: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Chris Evans (1981)
Sarah Michelle Gellar
Mako
Kevin Smith (1970)
Patrick Stewart (1940)
Zhang Ziyi [Ziyi Zhang]

Plot:
They're back...and they're ready to kick some shell! It's the Year of the Turtle as everyone's favorite hard-shelled heroes finally meet their match when an army of old foes and ancient monsters, under the command of a mysterious tycoon, threatens New York. Patrick Stewart, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Laurence Fishburne lend their voices to this powerful action-packed thrill ride.

Extras:
Scenevalg
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Slettede scener
Dokumentar
Storyboard Comparisons

My Review:
Well, remember "back in the day" when i used to watch the original Turtles series on tv. I was a fan of it. And this movie was actually quite allright even tho it isnt the originals. And it had its moments trough out. And the picture and sound quality was amazing. All in all a movie you should check out for a cheap penny.

My Rating:
4/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 03, 2013, 11:14:24 PM »

Title: Cars
Year: 2006
Director: John Lasseter
Rating: Rated PG : Mild Language and Scary Moments
Length: 117 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.39:1
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), English: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Kommentar: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Kommentar: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Owen Wilson
Paul Newman (1925)
Bonnie Hunt
Larry the Cable Guy
Cheech Marin
Tony Shalhoub

Plot:
Disney/PIXAR Cars, the high-octane adventure comedy from the creators of Toy Story, The Incredibles and Finding Nemo, now looks and sounds better than ever in this Blu-ray Disc® created from the original digital source file.

Hotshot race car Lightning McQueen (Owen Wilson) is living life in the fast lane - until he hits a detour and gets stranded in Radiator Springs, a forgotten town on the old Route 66. There he meets Sally, Mater, Doc Hudson (Paul Newman), and a heap of hilarious characters who help him discover there's more to life than trophies and fame.

Go deeper into the world of Cars than you ever dreamed possible in eye-popping visual clarity. Feel the sound of roaring engines and rock to the rhythm of some smokin' roadhouse riffs with audio enhancement that puts the pedal to the metal! Experience Cars for the first time on Disney Blu-ray™ - Magic in High Definition.

Extras:
Scenevalg
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Slettede scener
Dokumentar
Interactive Games
Cine-Explore In-Movie Experience

My Review:
So, i've had this in my unwatched pile for quite a while now. And today some friends asked me if we could watch it. And i actually dont remember if i've seen it before or not. Didnt remember much from it anyways. But it was a cute movie tho, with a cute story. Even tho you know from the start how the movie will end. But they made it work IMHO. And the sound and picture was amazing again. Looking forward to check out Cars 2. Recommanded!

My Rating:
4/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 04, 2013, 05:10:10 AM »
Looking forward to check out Cars 2. Recommanded!
Critical response to Cars 2 was not very good. So you might want to keep your expectations low to avoid disappointment.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 04, 2013, 06:46:06 PM »
Yeah .. i would leave it with "Cars".  The second one is okay but just an attempt to create more of the same.  Like "Toy Story" (although the second one was fun) they should just leave it alone.  But it is a money maker so what else is a studio to do?
Thank you
David

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 04, 2013, 09:03:08 PM »
I thought "Cars 2" was ok, but I'm doubtful about "Planes".

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 04, 2013, 09:46:21 PM »
Thanks guys, i will keep that in mind! I guess i have to watch it come Christmas or something since the two friends i've watched it with wanted to watch it soon.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #610 on: December 05, 2013, 03:13:08 AM »
I liked Cars 2.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 05, 2013, 05:08:07 AM »
Yeah .. i would leave it with "Cars".  The second one is okay but just an attempt to create more of the same.  Like "Toy Story" (although the second one was fun) they should just leave it alone.  But it is a money maker so what else is a studio to do?
NOOOOOOOOOOO Nothing like Toy Story. Toy Story is one of the few 3-for-3 trilogies, with every entry being a good/great movie. Cars is an o.k. movie with a lesser sequel. Well, your milage will obviously vary, as your opinion is apparently different.

I will complete my Pixar collection IF Cars 2 should ever come down to an acceptable price, but so far I have only seen it for above $20, which I am simply not willing to pay for this.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 05, 2013, 10:52:36 AM »
Hehe, well if it is like Toy Story, i dont have anything to worry about then. I have to admit that i really enjoyed all 3 Toy Story movies  :-[
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 05, 2013, 11:26:03 AM »
I have to agree with Achim. Not at all in the same league as Toy Story. Cars was good, Cars 2 merely ok.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 05, 2013, 07:25:52 PM »

Title: World War Z
Year: 2013
Director: Marc Forster
Rating: Unrated
Length: 122 Min.
Audio: Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, Fransk: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spansk: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portugisisk: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Engelsk, Fransk, Portugisisk, Spansk

Stars:
Brad Pitt (1963)
Mireille Enos
Daniella Kertesz
James Badge Dale
Ludi Boeken
Matthew Fox (1966)

Plot:
"The suspense is killer!" raves Peter Travers of Rolling Stone in this fast-paced, pulse-pounding action epic. Former United Nations investigator Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt) is in a race against time to save both his family and the world from a pandemic that is toppling governments and threatening to destroy humanity itself. David Denby of The New Yorker calls World War Z "the most gratifying action spectacle in years!"

Extras:
Audio Commentary
Dokumentar
Digital Copy

My Review:
I guess i had real high expactations about this one. Maby just a bit too high. I wasnt disappointed or anything, but with everything i heard i maby thought it would be a tad greater. Anyways, on to the movie. The movie was allright, not that original tho. But i guess with Zombies almost everything is done before huh? But they made it work. And they had some real cool efects trough out. It was allright 2 hours. So i recommand you guys to check it out.

My Rating:
4/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas