Author Topic: Topic of the Month: May 2012 — Birthdays  (Read 8431 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Topic of the Month: May 2012 — Birthdays
« on: April 29, 2012, 05:02:25 PM »
Topic of the Month: May 2012—Birthdays

Image: This is the Cake I want for my Birthday!... Who wants a piece?

Last month I watched a bunch of Superhero shows. This month... since it is the month I was born... I will be watching movies and TV Show episodes dealing with birthdays. This is something I do every year... but normally just for the week of my birthday (May 31st). But I have so many TV Show episodes dealing with birthdays now that I decided it was time to extend it to the entire month. I will not ONLY watch birthday related shows in May... but I want to get quite a bit watched. So I decided to set a goal for myself this year.

My Goal:
On May 31st I turn 43 years old... so I want to watch At Least 43 shows  (TV Eps. & Movies combined). Though I will be watching mainly TV Show episodes. This goal does have me worried though... as last year I only watched 18! That means I have to average about 1.4 shows per day for the entire month.

My Choices:
While I only have a small handful of movies that will work in this theme... I have a LOAD of TV episodes! I will not have to struggle to find stuff to watch!

B'day TV Episodes:
Multiple episodes of some shows!
- The Addams Family
- The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.
- The Adventures of Robin Hood
- The Adventures of Superman
- ALF
- Alias
- All in the Family
- Angel
- Batman Beyond
- The Big Bang Theory
- The Bill Engvall Show
- The Bob Newhart Show
- Bosom Buddies
- Brady Bunch
- Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Charmed
- Cobra
- Commander in Chief
- The Cosby Show
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Dead Like Me
- Defenders of the Earth
- Dennis the Menace
- Dexter
- Dharma & Greg
- The Dick Van Dyke Show
- Diff'rent Strokes
- A Different World
- Doogie Howser, M.D.
- The Drew Carey Show
- Dukes of Hazzard
- Ellen
- The Ellen Show
- ER
- Everybody Loves Raymond
- The Facts of Life
- Firefly
- Forever Knight
- Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
- Friends
- Full House
- Ghost Whisperer
- Good Morning World
- Grey's Anatomy
- H.R. Pufnstuf
- Haunted
- A Haunting
- Hearts Afire
- Home Improvement
- Hope & Faith
- House, M.D.
- I Love Lucy
- Joan of Arcadia
- Joe 90
- Justice League Unlimited
- King of Queens
- Knight Rider
- Life on Mars
- Little Rascals
- M*A*S*H
- Make Room for Daddy
- Macgyver
- Medium
- Melrose Place
- Missing Persons
- Mork & Mindy
- My Hero
- NCIS
- No Ordinary Family
- Numb3rs
- Party of Five
- Police Squad!
- Psych
- Reaper
- Reba
- Roseanne
- Roswell
- Sabrina the Teenage Witch
- Scrubs
- Seinfeld
- Sex and the City
- The Simpsons
- Smallville
- Spin City
- Sports Night
- Stacked
- The Stockard Channing Show
- Superboy
- Tales from the Crypt
- Tales from the Darkside
- That '70s Show
- Three's Company
- Titus
- Too Close for Comfort
- Tru Calling
- The Twilight Zone (1959)
- The Twilight Zone (2002)
- The Vampire Diaries
- Veronica Mars
- Without a Trace
- Worst Week
- Xena: Warrior Princess

B'day Movies:
- 13 Going on 30
- All-Star Superman
- Bloody Birthday
- Cheaper by the Dozen
- Child's Play
- City Slickers
- Frogs
- Full Frontal
- The Game
- Happy Birthday to Me
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
- House on Haunted Hill
- Identity
- The Indian in the Cupboard
- Liar Liar
- The Omen (1976)
- The Omen (2006)
- Sabrina: The Teenage Witch
- Street Tales of Terror
- Tower of Terror

And there could be some more in my collection I have yet to come across.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Topic of the Month: May 2012 — Birthdays
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 12:22:39 PM »
Well today is the first day of the Birthday theme. Not only that but it is also the actual birthday of actress Julie Benz... and since I am a big fan I thought I would start with some birthday episodes she was in. This alone gives me up to 4 episodes I could watch today!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:01:06 PM »

Series: Boy Meets World
Episode: s3e11. City Slackers
Who's Birthday: Amy Matthews (Corey & Eric's mother)
Plot:
Shawn and Cory steal the key to Mr. Feeny's cabin after he gives it to Amy and Alan for a romantic weekend. Meanwhile, Eric, Frankie, and Joey play a long game of pool.

My Thoughts:
This is a show I haven't watched in years. But this season 3 set was given to me not too long ago. Not only does this episode have a birthday in it (Corey & Eric's mother) but Julie Benz (who's real life birthday is today) has a role in this episode. She plays a teen girl that shows some interest in Eric. The episode itself really has very little to do with a birthday. Just mentioning it in the beginning of the episode (see image above). But it is a fun episode... with a couple good chuckles.

My Rating:

Goal: 43
Watched: 1
Left: 42
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 12:05:41 AM »

Series: No Ordinary Family
Episode: s1e7. No Ordinary Family
Who's Birthday: George St. Cloud (Friend of the family)
Plot:
Jim goes after a mobster who has plagued George for years, ignoring his friend's request to stay out of the case. Meanwhile, Stephanie disobeys Dr. King's wishes and tries to find out more about Volson's research, and Daphne asks JJ to use his powers to help her impress a boy.

My Thoughts:
Another episode with the lovely Julie Benz... as she was one of the stars of this series. There is more to the birthday in this episode then what was in the last. Including a surprise party... which was a lot of fun to watch... I really got a kick out of how excited Julie Benz's character got setting up the surprise party... and how giddy she was seeing the surprise on George's face... a fake surprise as he did know earlier. But was really fun scenes. And the rest of the episode is very good as well. Enjoyed every minute of it.

My Rating:

Watched: 2
Left: 41
Pete

addicted2comics(:P)

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 12:39:17 AM »
Ooh, I wish I could get you that cake, dad!!  ;D Looks delicious!! Though, I did some browsing before, and I think this would be great too:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 12:51:14 AM »
A Carrie Cake!  :laugh: That could be cool too... but think I would like the skull better!  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 11:59:43 PM »

Series: Medium
Episode: s1e3. A Couple of Choices
Who's Birthday: Allison DuBois
Plot:
As Joe (Jake Weber) wonders how to plan a surprise party for his psychic wife, Allison is partnered with Detective Lee Scanlon (David Cubitt) in order to hunt down a serial killer targeting young newlyweds.

My Thoughts:
This is another series that I loved from pilot episode to series finale. It made me a fan of Patricia Arquette. This is the episode that they first introduce Detective Scanlon... who remains a part of the show from this point on till the end of the series. The murder case is an interesting one... and the birthday scenes are a lot of fun to watch. Why would they even attempt to through a surprise birthday party for a psychic!

My Rating:

Watched: 3
Left: 40
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 08:28:44 PM »

Episode: s3e4 Ghost in the Machine
Who's Birthday: Joe DuBois
Plot:
After Allison gets Joe a camcorder for his birthday, her excitement turns to dread when she starts seeing disturbing images through it connected to a murder case.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode. One I really enjoyed... but it is far from perfect. I mean come on... what is the chances that she ends up with the same camcorder that the murderer returned? I know I can usually suspend believability on such a thing... but it don't really feel quite right on this one. But other then that.. I enjoyed this one quite a lot.

My Rating:

Watched: 4
Left: 39
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 03:00:30 PM »

Series: The Big Bang Theory
Episode: s1e16 The Peanut Reaction
Who's Birthday: Leonard
Plot:Leonard's birthday finds Wolowitz and Leonard in the ER and Penny and Sheldon sharing a shopping trip from hell.

My Thoughts:
Definitely one of my favorite current series. In this case the entire episode is centered around Leonard's birthday... it's not just a side storyline. Seeing Penny deal with Sheldon in the electronics store was a lot of fun... and I got a kick out of how they did Howard in the hospital (see pic above).

My Rating:

Watched: 5
Left: 38
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 11:02:44 PM »

Episode: s5e10 Then and Now
Who's Birthday: Marie DuBois
Plot:After she and Devalos are gunned down, Allison wakes up five years in the past. Now she must convince her boss to change his mind about a murder conviction.

My Thoughts:
Another episode I enjoyed quite a bit. It has an interesting storyline. Though there is very little to the birthday side story. Just two short scenes.

My Rating:

Watched: 6
Left: 37
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 12:36:06 AM »

Episode: s6e21 Dead Meat
Who's Birthday: Joe DuBois
Plot: As Joe gets a special birthday present from Marie, Allison develops a relationship with a pig, hoping it will lead her to a missing animal rights activist.

My Thoughts:
While I still enjoyed it... I didn't care for this one as much as the previous episodes. I just didn't care much for the whole talking pigs thing. I did like the whole birthday side story. Which was a pretty decent amount of the episode this time. I thought the entire toy thing in this episode was a pretty cool idea.

My Rating:

Watched: 7
Left: 36
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 07:48:56 PM »

Series: NCIS
Episode: s3e17 Ravenous
Who's Birthday: Abbey Sciuto
Plot: A serial killer is suspected of murder after a missing Marine's dog tags are discovered in a national forest.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode. It has a good storyline... and a good pace. I had to laugh at Tony when he saw how that woman he was flirting with didn't shave (her armpit hair and leg hair was twice as long as mine!). He thought fast... and I don't blame him! This one works into the birthday theme because it is Abbey's (my favorite character!) birthday... and she is not happy... as she believe Gibbs (who she looks up to as a father figure) forgot her birthday throughout most the episode. The above picture is of Abbey, the goth forensic scientist, opening the gift Gibbs left when he snuck in her office when she wasn't looking. She opens it and says it is perfection... but we never get to know what it is he got her.

My Rating:

Watched: 8
Left: 35
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »

Series: That '70s Show
Episode: s3e17 Kitty's Birthday (That's Today?)
Who's Birthday: Kitty Forman
Plot: Eric and Red forgot Kitty's birthday. Kelso has a plan to win Jackie back.

My Thoughts:
While still a fun episode... I didn't care for it as much as most. I mean... square dancing?... come on! But it did have some funny moments worth seeing. And the side storyline wasn't bad either.

My Rating:

Watched: 9
Left: 34
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 07:20:24 PM »

Series: Ghost Whisperer
Episode: s5e1 Birthday Presence
Who's Birthday: Aiden

Plot:
Melinda's life changes dramatically when she gives birth to a son who possesses a psychic ability that gives him a unique connection to the supernatural.

My Thoughts:
One of my all-time favorite episodes of one of my all time favorite TV Series. This episode cover's the actual Birth day of Melinda's son... as well as fast forwarding to his 5th birthday. I usually don't like time jumps in TV Series... but this one I felt was done very well and I enjoyed every minute of it!

My Rating:

Watched: 10
Left: 33
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 12:44:53 AM »

Series: That '70s Show
Episode: s4e23 Hyde's Birthday
Who's Birthday: Hyde

Plot:
After Red grossly insults Hyde through a misunderstanding on his birthday, Kitty decides to throw him a real surprise party for his 18th, at neighbor Bob's place, but Steven seriously tries to make clear he doesn't want to celebrate the end of his youth, and may be moving out.

My Thoughts:
Not a bad episode... but not a favorite. At least this episode the entire storyline revolves around Hyde's birthday. Don't really know what else to say about this one.

My Rating:

Watched: 11
Left: 32
Pete