Author Topic: The Hunger Games  (Read 934 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
The Hunger Games
« on: March 26, 2012, 07:34:54 AM »
The Hunger Games [2012]

Directed by: Gary Ross

Starring:
Jennifer Lawrence
Josh Hutcherson
Woody Harrelson
Tanley Tucci
Donal Sutherland
Elizabeth Banks
Lanny Kravitz

Synopsis:
In a not-too-distant future, North America has collapsed, weakened by drought, fire, famine, and war to be replaced by Panem, a country divided into the Capitol and 12 districts. Each year two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal intimidation of the subjugated districts, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem. The 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors, literally, with all citizens required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss' young sister, Prim, is selected as the mining district's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart Peeta, will be pitted against bigger, stronger representatives who have trained for this their whole lives. [from IMDb)

My Thoughts:
Based on the 2008 book by Suszanne Collins this has a little more than a passing resemblance to the japanese Battle Royale, which unfortunately doesn't do this film a lot of favors. Once you look past those similarities you will find that a different story is being told, but then the ending gets too close again :slaphead:

Another thing I find hurt the film a lot is the PG-13 rating. Especially the first confrontation scene at the beginning of the Game need a stronger punch than what we got. They had this great build up creating all that anticipation for the Game and then all we get is this whimper where an explosion should be. Besides that I found that too many kills happen "off screen" (meaning we are not even near when they happen).

I would have liked there to be more "hunting" during the Game, which I had come to expect from the trailer. I did like how they created a few twists and turns to keep you guessing how it will end, although then sadly they ended up back with my initial guess. :(

(click to show/hide)

My Rating:

Najemikon

Re: The Hunger Games
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 10:35:36 AM »
I suppose when you think about, the way Battle Royale ended is the only logical way to end a story like that and not alienate the viewer, especially when it's been told from the perspective of a brave and innocent participant. From what I have seen, I like the look of Hunger Games, but your review bears out my suspicion from the start that it's a story that wants its cake and to eat it! It wants a certain audience, but can't push it too far...

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 12:49:04 PM »
Thanks Achim. Battle Royale was an important film in my watching 'career' as it was responsible for me buying, literally, hundreds of Asian films in the years that followed and exploring Eastern cinema outside of Jackie Chan movies. I think I'll wait for a rental on this one.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 03:12:50 PM »
It is a solid film, don't misunderstand me. For all I know it is probably a faithful adaptation of it's source, at least story-wise and the PG-13 rating ensures that the target audience can watch it. However, we are not it's primary targets audience...

Regarding the end:
(click to show/hide)