Author Topic: Charmed Marathon  (Read 30476 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Charmed Marathon
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:43:32 AM »
Charmed: Season 1
The discovery that they are descendants of a long line of witches finds three sisters battling demons and warlocks -- and occasionally each other.

When the beautiful Halliwell sisters inherit a house from their grandmother and discover a secret "Book Of Shadows," they learn that they each have a unique power. The strong-willed Prue (Shannen Doherty) can move objects, reserved Piper (Holly Marie Combs) is able to freeze time, and the uninhibited Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) sees the future. Individually, each is strong, but it is only by putting aside their differences and banding together as the "Power of Three" that they will be able to protect the innocent and vanquish evil. Each exciting episode in this richly layered series is a supernatural adventure brewing with suspense and humor.

Disc 1:

"Something Wicca This Way Comes"
Original Airdate: October 7, 1998
Reunited in the grand Victorian home of their childhood, a trio of sisters, Prue (Shannen Doherty), Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) and Piper (Holly Marie Combs) discovers they are gifted Wicca witches. Little do they know that their newfound powers mean that they are now prey to evil forces.

My Thoughts:
Ahhh... this is the episode that started it all... including my admiration for Holly Marie Combs. I have to admit it seems a little weird watching these early episodes now... seeing how they are started compared to how powerful they are by the eighth season.

"I've Got You Under My Skin"
Original Airdate: October 14, 1998
Phoebe can't resist a peek into the future. She and her sisters learn their first lesson in witchcraft - deadly demons can come in any kind of package, including gorgeous male photographers.

My Thoughts:
This is a fun episode. I especially liked how Piper (Holly Marie Combs) was afraid to enter the church because she was afraid she was evil.

"Thank You For Not Morphing"
Original Airdate: October 21, 1998
Reunited with their long-lost father, Victor Halliwell, the sisters are ecstatic but a little suspicious of his sudden reappearance. Could good ol' dad have an ulterior motive?

My Thoughts:
This was a really good episode.... not only do you have the sisters battling shape shifters... but we meet Victor... the girl's father. Also at the very end of the episode Leo shows up for the very first time.

"Dead Man Dating"
Original Airdate: October 28, 1998
Prue tries to avoid a birthday celebration as Piper befriends and saves the restless soul of a ghost who was murdered by a gang leader. The sisters save his soul and learn a valuable life lesson.

My thoughts:
This one was another really good episode. One that deals with ghosts. I especially liked it since it was a big Piper episode. I also liked the way they put some Chinese folk lore into the story line for this one. This episode remains one of my favorites of the season.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Charmed Marathon
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:11:28 PM »
Disc 2:

"Dream Sorcerer"
Original Airdate: November 4, 1998
Overworked Prue battles a sleep demon in the guise of a handsome man, while Phoebe conjures a spell to attract men that turns out to be too strong - the sisters can barely escape their myriad admirers.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode... but not one I would call a favorite. I enjoy these early episodes... seeing the sisters making some mistakes with their magic as they learn.

"The Wedding From Hell"
Original Airdate: November 11, 1998
An evil bride-to-be, interested only in creating more demonic offspring, battles the Halliwell sisters during her demonic wedding party but is thwarted by Prue's investigation of a mysterious knife.

My Thoughts:
A decent episode... but once again not one of my favorites. This one had quite a bit about Pru's boss... and that was always a storyline I didn't care for too much... will be glad when that arc is over.

"The Fourth Sister"
Original Airdate: November 18, 1998
A troubled teenager, Aviva (Danielle Harris), befriends Phoebe with the hopes of joining the Halliwell coven of witches, but Aviva has her own agenda - to steal the Charmed Ones' powers.

My Thoughts:
This was a cool episode. One of the things I had fun with on this episode... was the back and forth between Piper and Phoebe... both trying to win over Leo... after all these years it is kinda weird seeing Phoebe lusting after Leo. Another thing about this episode... Aviva's aunt is played by an actress that returns seasons later as a recurring star... playing Phoebe's boss at the newspaper.

"The Truth Is Out There And It Hurts"
Original Airdate: November 25, 1998
The sisters stumble across a truth spell in the Book of Shadows and are put in the dangerous position of having to hear and speak the truth for 24 hours.

My Thoughts:
Another episode I liked a lot. Pru hitting Andy with such a huge bomb (that she is a witch) and expects to get a true reaction on whether he can handle it or not to me is ridiculous. And if I remember correctly she realizes this later in the season. I like the whole story where the demon from the future coming to destroy those that finds the "cure" before they can do so. It has a real Terminator feel to it.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 01:20:35 AM »
Disc 3:

"The Witch Is Back"
Original Airdate: December 16, 1998
Prue is attacked by a powerful 300-year-old warlock (Billy Wirth) who is furious about having been trapped in a locket by an ancestor of the Halliwell sisters. The vengeful warlock can copy others' powers and the Charmed Ones must stop him.

My Thoughts:
This was a really good episode. One where we learn more about the Halliwell line of witches since we get to meet the witch that started it all... Melinda Warren.

"Wicca Envy"
Original Airdate: January 13, 1999
Prue's devious boss and secret warlock Rex (Neil Roberts) frames Prue for stealing a priceless tiara and puts her in jail. The sisters plot a jailbreak to catch the sly Rex in action.

My Thoughts:
Finally... the end of the storyline with Pru's bosses being warlocks trying to steal their powers... I was never very fond of that storyline or the characters of her bosses.

"Feats Of Clay"
Original Airdate: January 20, 1999
Phoebe's ex-boyfriend Clay (Victor Browne) breezes into town looking for a reconciliation but, as usual, there are strings attached. This time, Clay brings with him a mortal curse in a stolen Egyptian urn.

My Thoughts:
This is a fair episode... not one of my favorites and more of a filler episode. We do find out a little about Phoebe's life in New York and meet one of her ex's.

"The Wendigo"
Original Airdate: February 3, 1999
When a hideous supernatural creature attacks Piper, she begins to make a strange transformation - with similar traits to her attacker. Prue and Phoebe must save her by vanquishing the beast. But at night in the woods, how will they know for sure if it's the creature, or if it's Piper?

My Thoughts:
This one I love... it is not only one of my favorites of the first season... but one of my all-time favorites for the entire 8 year run.  A Wendigo seems to be a creature similar to a werewolf. Of course I enjoy this episode so much... is a big Piper episode!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 02:00:41 AM »
Disc 4:

"From Fear To Eternity"
Original Airdate: February 10, 1999
Every 1,300 years, a unique demon appears that feeds on the fears of witches. This time it is targetting the Halliwell sisters and they receive aid from their Wicca ancestors just as they are close to their own fearful deaths.

My Thoughts:
This is another one of my favorites of the season.This episode has the first of several appearances by the demon of fear... played (excellently) by Billy Drago. I thought the storyline was well thought out and played nicely by all.

"Secrets And Guys"
Original Airdate: February 17, 1999
A kidnapped boy (David Netter) with special powers sends cryptic cries for help to Prue. The search for the boy leads to the unveiling of a special secret about Leo, Piper's beau.

My Thoughts:
Leo is back (for now)... and Phoebe finds out what Leo is... but she must keep it a secret from her sisters.

"Is There A Woogy In The House?"
Original Airdate: February 24, 1999
Phoebe's fear of a "Woogyman" who lives in the basement is an ongoing source of amusement for her two sisters. That is, until a violent earthquake unleashes a long-dormant shadow-demon that turns Phoebe against her siblings.

My Thoughts:
Really good episode... and the first time they come out with the fact that Phoebe could be a power of good or a power of evil.

"Which Prue Is It Anyway?"
Original Airdate: March 3, 1999
In an effort to protect Phoebe, Prue chants an incantation to multiply her strength. Surprisingly, the spell results in the creation of multiple Prues.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode... but not one I would call a favorite. Andy is getting closer to figuring out what is going on with the sisters...

Disc 5:

"That '70s Episode"
Original Airdate: April 7, 1999
The Halliwell sisters must cast a spell that returns them to the mid-'70s in order to save themselves from a warlock that is immune to the powers of the Charmed Ones.

My Thoughts:
This is an episode that is lots of fun... One I enjoy very much. It was fun to see Grams and the sisters mother basically for the first time (though I do believe we seen Grams before). I also enjoyed seeing what the sisters (2 of them anyway) were like as kids.

"When Bad Warlock Turns Good"
Original Airdate: April 28, 1999
Outrageous situations arise when Phoebe tries to help Piper make a love connection, and Prue meets a young man who is fighting against his destiny to become evil.

My Thoughts:
A decent episode... but not one of my favorites. Don't know what else to really say about this one... just a basic filler episode.

"Out Of Sight"
Original Airdate: May 5, 1999
The sisters attempt a dangerous rescue of a boy who has been kidnapped by a Grimlock, and Prue's secret is shattered when a reporter witnesses her using her magical powers.

My Thoughts:
A good episode. This is the first appearance of the Grimlocks... and the episode where Andy finally finds out the truth about the sisters. I really thought that Phoebe would hook up with the blind guy she got info from... there chemistry seemed so good on the show... but some reason they decided not to go there.

"The Power of Two"
Original Airdate: May 12, 1999
The evil spirit of a serial killer escapes from Alcatraz Island seeking revenge. It's up to Phoebe and Prue to figure out how to vanquish this evil spirit and stop him from killing again, and they must do it without Piper.

My Thoughts:
This is a good basic episode... this time dealing with the Ghost of Alcatraz. It almost seems strange having Andy go to the sister when an "unusual" case crosses his desk... but it really fits... I like him knowing.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:45:03 AM »
Maybe I will buy this show this year. In Europe its comes in a nice package:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LXGRSK/
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B000NIN02Y/

But it's currently a bit too expensive for me.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 03:25:48 PM »
Disc 6:
"Love Hurts"
Original Airdate: May 19, 1999
Returning to San Francisco, Leo (Brian Krause) asks the Halliwell sisters to protect an innocent woman who is being stalked by a demonic auditor. Piper finally learns that her beau, Leo, is a White Lighter. Because of this, Piper must say goodbye to her love.

My Thoughts:
This was a really good episode. Now all the sisters know about Leo as they fight to save his life. The sisters use a spell to switch powers so Piper can try to save Leo with his own healing power. As Phoebe said... it was a supernatural "Freaky Friday".

"Déja Vu All Over Again"
Original Airdate: May 26, 1999
Fighting for their lives, the Charmed Ones combat time sorcerer Tempus Fugit (guest star David Carradine) who has created a terrifying time loop. It is a race against the clock as the sisters try to find a way out of their terrifying recurring fates.

My Thoughts:
A great way to end the season. A ""Groundhog Day" type of episode as Tempus aides a demon to try to get rid of The Charmed Ones. Even though it was pretty obvious to have Phoebe see through the time loop with her psychic powers... but how else could they really of done it? It was the most obvious way... but at the same time the best way in my opinion.

Overall Season 1 Thoughts:
A great beginning to what I have always felt was an awesome series. I know many people that do not care for this show at all... and many who stopped at season 3... then there has been many that stopped at season 5 or 6.  I on the other had loved this series clear to the end. But fear I am one of the few. So if you haven't seen this series I would suggest checking out an episode or two before going out of your way to buy it. Unfortunately the first season (as well as the next 6 seasons) has no extras (other then promo trailers) what so ever. This was always a sad thing for me... but at least they tried to make up for it in the 8th (and final) season.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 03:29:02 PM »
Maybe I will buy this show this year. In Europe its comes in a nice package:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LXGRSK/
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B000NIN02Y/

But it's currently a bit too expensive for me.

That looks like an awesome set... actually looks like the cases that we have now... but stored in a Charmed trunk (where Phoebe first found the "Book of Shadows")... but I think the release that I saw... that I liked the best (but forget where it was released) was a replica of the "Book of Shadows" with the discs on the pages. Would love to have something like that!

If you never seen this show... please look at my "Overall season 1 thoughts" before you decide to buy the entire run.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 03:39:55 PM »
A great beginning to what I have always felt was an awesome series. I know many people that do not care for this show at all... and many who stopped at season 3... then there has been many that stopped at season 5 or 6.
I was one of those who had decided to stop after the season 3, but I've decided to give it a chance. Now I have the first 5 seasons, I will probably continue since I don't like to have an incomplete set. But, honestly the season 5 was not that great and the last episode conclusion doesn't really make sense (at least for me).

RossRoy

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »
But, honestly the season 5 was not that great and the last episode conclusion doesn't really make sense (at least for me).

Well, that's something where I'll have to disagree with you. I'm currently watching Season 5, and I love it so far. Granted I'm only halfway through (episode 12), but I find it's great so far.

Actually, I have 1 gripe about it, but that's something that can be said about almost every series ever made: Can they make up their mind about Cole? Will they finally settle on whether they want him to be good or bad? It gets so annoying.

Other glaring example of that? Lana in Smallville, Spike in Buffy some point, Logan Echolls on Veronica Mars, etc. etc. etc. I hate it when they use a single character, and make him "good" in one episode, "bad" in the other (you can also switch good/bad with love/hate). It seems like forced drama. I can usually see past it and still enjoy the show, but sometimes it really gets on my nerves. Lana on Smallville was probably one of the worst example of it in her relation towards Clark.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 04:26:01 PM »
I think the release that I saw... that I liked the best (but forget where it was released) was a replica of the "Book of Shadows" with the discs on the pages. Would love to have something like that!

Like this?

It does look nice on the shelves, but it's hard to handle if you actually want to watch them.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 04:40:21 PM »
Lana on Smallville was probably one of the worst example of it in her relation towards Clark.
But Clark isn't entirely innocent in this, isn't he? I mean, he admires her for how many years but always pulls back. Then he becomes human, has finally "a moment of true happiness" and shortly afterwards retreats from the field.

Clark may want to protect her, but what Chloe said in the wine cellar is entirely correct, he is afraid to put the heart on the line.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=NitUv1ZPOx8
Karsten

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 05:34:49 PM »
I think the release that I saw... that I liked the best (but forget where it was released) was a replica of the "Book of Shadows" with the discs on the pages. Would love to have something like that!

Like this?

It does look nice on the shelves, but it's hard to handle if you actually want to watch them.

Yes... Similar to that... but it looked like a nicely made hard cover book... that looked something like the "Book of Shadows" in the show. (I can't tell by that pic just how well it is made) But the one I saw actually came with a pedestal to hold the book and everything (if I remember correctly)... and looked awesome.

Note: Just looked at the pic of your shelf... that book looked really good... but the pictures I saw of the other book looked a little more sturdy.

I just found it... it was released in  Australia see HERE... though I can't seem to find the images of the pedestal that holds it... so I may have been wrong there.

One thing I forgot... this came out before Season 8 was released... so it only comes with seasons 1-7 but there is empty pages to add Season 8 to it.

Getting a better look at it it don't look anything like the book in the show (was going by memory from long ago)... but it is still a very nice set!

Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 05:44:31 PM »
Lana on Smallville was probably one of the worst example of it in her relation towards Clark.
But Clark isn't entirely innocent in this, isn't he? I mean, he admires her for how many years but always pulls back. Then he becomes human, has finally "a moment of true happiness" and shortly afterwards retreats from the field.

That's true. But the blame shouldn't even be on Lana or Clark, but on the writers! What I hate is all those now I like you, now I don't, maybe I do, but I don't really, but at the very bottom of my heart I do, but I can't show you, yet I will kiss you, but I can't tell you... know what I mean?

It's like.. They want to get somewhere, but to keep the show "interesting", they just keep going round and round and round. When it's well done and doesn't last 4-5 years, it works, but it usually lasts indefinitely, and I find it irritating.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 06:16:24 PM »
That's true. But the blame shouldn't even be on Lana or Clark, but on the writers! What I hate is all those now I like you, now I don't, maybe I do, but I don't really, but at the very bottom of my heart I do, but I can't show you, yet I will kiss you, but I can't tell you... know what I mean?
I know exactly what you mean and I feel the same way.

It's like.. They want to get somewhere, but to keep the show "interesting", they just keep going round and round and round.
Ross & Rachel immediately come to mind.
Karsten

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 10:36:38 PM »
Charmed: Season 2
The Halliwell sisters are back... and they've got "the power of three"! 'Charmed: The Complete Second Season' casts a spell of excitement, adventure and fun as Prue (Shannen Doherty), Piper (Holly Marie Combs) and Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) continue their journey as modern-day witches.

From the intense season opener, when the trio battles an old foe who attempts to render then powerless, to the suspense-filled, and at times very humorous season finale, these beauitiful heroines will have you wish for more. Their foes are stronger, Their powers are growing, and the suypernatural has even more unique ways of disrupting their drama-filled personal lives just when to het it together. Each exciting episode of 'Charmed: The Complete Second Season' continues to work magic that made this critically acclaimed audiencefavorite a force to be reckoned with.

Disc 1:

"Witch Trial"
Original Airdate: September 30, 1999
When a demon steals the Book of Shadows, the Ha!liwell sisters have just one chance to recapture it or they will lose their powers forever.

My Thoughts:
A nice strong episode for the season premiere. We even get to see some of the demons they vanquished in the first season... as the demon undo the spells that The Charmed Ones casted in the first season. I also liked how they showed repercussions from the end of the first season... and showed Pru freezing up when she faced the first demon since what happen at the end of season 1.

"Morality Bites"
Original Airdate: October 7, 1999
Phoebe has a horrifying premonition of her own execution, so the sisters cast a one-time spell that catapults them into the future to try and change her fate.

My Thoughts:
Another really good episode... one that shows there can be serious repercussions even with minor acts of revenge and personal gain. And I liked how they showed the future if they were ever exposed. Makes you wonder if that is what it would be like if we never smartened up from the days of the Salem Witch Trials.

"The Painted World"
Original Airdate: October 14, 1999
The sisters are trapped in a painting by a warlock who plans to torch it and destroy them unless Phoebe can reverse their impending doom.

My Thoughts:
This is a basic filler episode... and nothing really all that special about it. But it was enjoyable.

"The Devil's Music"
Original Airdate: October 21, 1999
Leo returns to help the sisters save their young neighbor when the manager of a band scheduled to play Piper's nightclub makes a demonic deal.

My thoughts:
A music heavy episode... and you all know how I feel about music. But it was still enjoyable. In this one some band called Dishwalla comes to play at Piper's new club... that she finally gets open in this episode. As I said it was still an enjoyable episode... and I was able to basically tone out/ignore the music.   :P
Pete