Author Topic: DVD Player Trouble  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
DVD Player Trouble
« on: November 12, 2011, 08:07:55 AM »
I am having a problem with the DVD player I have in the computer room.  This is the first DVD player I got, and it is like 10 years old now..maybe 11.  It has been acting a little weird at times, so I have thought that I'd have to get something else for watching movies in here.  Now it has gone beyond acting up a little.

I was going to finish watching one of the discs in my second season of Fraggle Rock.  The menu wasn't responding, so I ejected and put the disc back in.  After that, it kept saying disc error or no disc.  So I gave up.  I tried again tonight and it kept doing stuff like opening the tray or saying no disc.  Now it won't even eject..and my Fraggle Rock DVD is still in there and I have no clue how to get it out.  :(

Any one have any ideas?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: DVD Player Trouble
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 08:19:23 AM »
First, to eject the disc: Pull the plug from the outlet. Wait ten seconds. Plug it in back again. Immediately eject the dics.

As for the rest: I'd say he is dying of old age. I'm only watching DVDs for 11 years now and I have gone through a number of players, none lasting more than six years.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 08:51:43 AM »
10-11 years? That is awesome mileage from an equipment like that.

I agree, seems like old age. I also went through a couple of device through the past 12 years, none of them lasting more than 4-5 years as well. I think the one I own now is with almost 5 years the longest serving player.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 09:00:55 AM »
This is sure a long life, usually mine died in less than 2 years. This is why I use my Blu-Ray reader only to watch Blu-Ray and watch my DVDs on my computer (maybe I'll try to get a cheap multizone DVD reader as a backup next year just in case something like that happen to me).

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 08:03:12 PM »
Just kick it :tease:

Many players have a hole very close to the tray itself that you can push a map pin or end of a paperclip into. It can force and eject by bypassing the electricity part of the mechanics.

I'm with others, though. It's on life support and more worth getting a new one than possibly real problems beginning.
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 11:12:01 PM »
My player often does this. I pop in the cleaning disc and it takes care of the problem.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 11:59:42 PM »
When I couldn't get the disc out last night, I turned it off.  I tried once or twice more to get it out last night..turned it on and then tired to eject, but nothing happened.  I just turned it back on for the first time in over 12 hours.  It said on the display that there was no disc in it, so I hit eject, and it opened this time.  I got my DVD out.  Woohoo.   :yahoo:  I'm afraid to try to watch anything on it now though.  I don't want to get another one stuck in it.

I figured it was from the age of it.  I got it in the spring of 2000 or 2001...wait..I just thought of something to check.  Ok, it was in 2001.  I got Miss Congeniality the day it came out on DVD.  I just checked Profiler.   :laugh:  So I got it in like March of 2001.  If I remember right, it was almost $200 then.  It has played a lot of movies over the years.  I've been thinking I would need to get another player to have in here, I just haven't bothered to do that yet.

I don't think I have a cleaner for the DVD players.  Hmmm....Or maybe I did have one before, but I have no idea where it is now.  Hmm. 

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 01:47:05 AM »
I figured it was from the age of it.  I got it in the spring of 2000 or 2001...wait..I just thought of something to check.  Ok, it was in 2001.
The first reader I've bought in 2002 always work :yu:
Of course it's because I gave it to my sister a couple of months after I got it as it was a Sony (no region free and can't read DVD-R), but she don't watch as many films that we do :laugh:

It cost me 179$ + taxes when I bought it :stars:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 02:17:32 AM »
This one is a Phillips.
It worked good for a long time..then in the last several months, it has acted up some..not reading a disc or saying there is a disc error.  I've gotten use to being able to put in DVDs in here, so I'll probably end up getting another one. 

Well I'd really like a new tv in here too..and a Blu-ray.   :hysterical:  Eventually I'll get the whole house HD.   :hysterical: