Author Topic: XBOX 4Gb vs PS3  (Read 8055 times)

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
Re: XBOX 4Gb vs PS3
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 02:19:52 AM »
Well, my real name is Eric Gagne but EricGagne was already taken so I decided to show the extents of my imagination and I'm GagneEric  :tomato:

Najemikon

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 11:41:52 PM »
I seee yoooooo!  :tease:

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2011, 10:57:16 PM »
Are games available on release date on Steam ?  I'm not sure I want to pre-order it there because they say it's gonna be available November 2011 but they don't specify the day.  I'm wondering if it will be the 15 or if they need time to convert or adapt it for their platform.

Najemikon

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2011, 12:56:08 AM »
No, they don't usually have anything to convert as such. If anything, games are delivered faster on Steam. If you pre-order a title, it sometimes downloads a day or so early and then unlocks at midnight.

A friend of mine ordered Skyrim from someone online, probably Amazon or Play. They try to despatch the titles so they arrive on the day and indeed he got it the day before. He installed it, but Steam was locked as it wasn't due in the UK until the following day. He then found out that Australia's release date was that day, so he changed the language in Steam and it unlocked!  :laugh: He was a bit desperate...

If you're talking about Batman, the only word of caution I'd say is that something weird is going on with this PC release, so if it is delayed, it's unlikely to be Steam. I've had several titles from new on there and they all unlocked dead on time.

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2011, 01:03:47 AM »
I'm not talking about Batman, I forgot to name to game in my post but it's Assassin's Creed Revelations.  I don't want to wait for it 1 more minute than I have to :)

Batman ?  I don't know if I still want to buy it.  I got Arkham Asylum on Steam and to be honest I'm disappointed. 

First, the introductory clip is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONGG.   Twenty minutes before you can start playing, that's ridiculous.

Then I found the dialogs in that introduction to be more suited for kids, this is a Batman thing so I know I can't expect content like AC but still, does it have to be that dumb ?

Those two things alone wouldn't be enough to stop me but so far I found the game itself somewhat boring.  Something happens in the Asylum, you move batman there, you turn on Detection Mode and then it highlights things that you need to do.

It's a bit to "streamlined" for my taste, I like games like AC when you don't absolutely have to follow a predefined sequence.  I'm sure I'll play more to see if it gets better but if it doesn't I don't think I'll spend 50$ on the next one.

Najemikon

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2011, 01:22:34 AM »
How much do you like Batman in general? Or comics for that matter. The dialogue is basic, but it embraces the silliness of the original concept and for fans, there's a lot to love. The characterisation and respect for the history is beyond superb. It's full of details and back-story that they don't even force feed you. When you pick up one of the bios of a minor guard for instance, you realise this minor guard was a character in the comics and would go on to become some villain or whatever. One of them is missing a hand and Joker's taking the piss out of him for it, but it's only when you get the bio you find out he had all this history to him. And the narrative has some tricks up its sleeve. The Scarecrow sections are very different.

So for Bat-fans, it's awesome. The intro is long, but... well I liked it. Hey, to me Half-Life was the pinnacle of game play and that had a twenty minute start on a train in Black Mesa!

In terms of the actual game, well the combat is good, the hidden areas fun and there are puzzles that get tougher, especially if you go after the achievements. Also in the early sections you are moving from one area to another, but although it stays linear, you might feel better when it's worn in because you revisit areas at random. Clearing out the hospital section for instance is interesting.

Hold on. You're calling Batman boring, but waiting for Assassin's Creed? Three times I've tried to play that damn game. Three! It's so dull and incredible repetitive. I love the look of the game, but the story is so thin.

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2011, 03:02:43 AM »
It's all a matter of taste I guess.  Three times you tried to play Assassin's Creed and didn't like it, I played all three releases and loved them all. 

But as I said, I'm not ready to trash Batman yet, I haven't even played for 1 hour total yet, for all I know I'll love it next time I post about it.

RossRoy

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2011, 03:08:31 AM »
I have both the first AC and Batman Askham Asylum here .. never really could get into either game. Thought I must admit I didn't give AC much of a chance .. something else came out at about the same time and I played that (can't remember what it was though)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 05:38:07 AM »
The dialog in the Batman games is quite terrible, especially from the man himself. No matter it's based on teh comic books or not. It got worse with the second game, I think.

However, I am not playing this for the dialog, really, I can live with the hammy delivery. I did enjoy the gameplay a lot and even if I no chance for myself to ever completze all of those challenges, the game itself was fun. Yes, the first game is almost played in Detective mode entirely, this has eased up a bit in Arkham City and the players feel compelled more to turn it off every once in a while :laugh:

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2011, 05:46:41 PM »
I received my new graphics card this morning............................this thing is huge.....................I hope it's gonna fit in my case :fingerchew:

Can't wait to test it though  :gamer:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2011, 05:05:39 AM »
 :laugh:

I remember buying a graphics card for my Mac so that I could install Steam. I had the same concerns but ultimately could squeeze it in.

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2011, 11:48:37 PM »
The new card is installed, my Windows performance index on graphics jumped from 4.2 to 7.4, I tested it with Assassin's Creed II and the graphics are just amazing, much better than I expected.

My only problem is that the PC version of Assassin's Creed Revelations will only be released on the 29 while the Xbox and the PS3 ones are out today.......................................................

:voodoo: -> Ubisoft

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2011, 05:39:15 AM »
Good to hear you got a strong improvement on your card!

That is the price the PC players usually have to pay for their higher resolution and other advantages. Many games get a slightly later release on PC, but sometimes even several months... :thumbup:

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 11:00:18 PM »
We have the WRUP topic, I think I'll start the WYNGTP (What You'll Never Get To Play) one.

So I buy this great video card because I want to make sure I can play Assassin's Creed Revelations as soon as it's released on November 15 and I pre-order it on Steam.

Then comes November 15 but I can't download it so I dig a little and it turns out that the PC version will only be released on November 29  >:(

Then today, I'm told that on November 27 I'm leaving for NYC where I'm gonna work for two weeks, coming back on December 9 so I won't be able to download it and start playing before December 10  >:( >:(

But then, that's only 2 weeks before Christmas and my sister who's receiving us just moved into a new house and will need help to get all her stuff organized on time so it doesn't look like I'll be able to play before the Christmas break.  >:( >:( >:(

But wait.....................I just started on a new job for a new company, this year I won't have a )*$R*()&$(* Christmas break  >:( >:( >:( >:(

WYNGTP...................In my case it looks like it's Assassin's Creed Revelations.........................I think I'm being punished for not liking Arkham Asylum

RossRoy

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 11:12:03 PM »
Get Skyrim. ;)

Joking aside, I know the feeling... but still  :hysterical: