Author Topic: XBOX 4Gb vs PS3  (Read 8059 times)

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
Re: XBOX 4Gb vs PS3
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 09:37:41 PM »
Now of course you know what's gonna happen.  I'll buy a high-end graphics card for the price of a console and I'm gonna start having problems with DRM every time I try to play...........................

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
BTW I forgot to say................I saw an add for Batman Arkham City on Newegg this morning and even without looking into it I know it's one I'm gonna buy.....................either with nice graphics 3 months after others or with bad graphics on release date...........................

Maybe I should go with the xbox just to get that game before Jon  :tease:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 05:52:03 AM »
Batman: Arkham City is a great game.

I own a PS3, bought it for the Blu-ray player, then got "a little" into gaming. I have never even held an XBOX controller, but the asymmetric look does not appeal to me :shrug: I understand the triggers are better though :headscratch:

If it is about games, then I agree with Seb. Look at the games that only one console has and decide which exclusives you'd rather play. Think you might like Uncharted...? Or rather get into Gears of War...?

When PSN had the outage, because someone had taken away the CC infos, it came to light that a few games on the PS3 also need a constant internet connection to work. But I believe it was more about Japanese companies, like Sega or Konami...?

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 02:13:42 PM »
Do you guys know anything about core clock and memory clock ?  I'm looking at 2 HIS cards, a 6570 and a 6670.

6570: Core clock = 650 MHz, Effective Memory Clock=1800 MHz
6670: Core clock = 800 MHz, Effective Memory Clock=1600 MHz

Which is better, faster core or faster memory ?  There's also another model which has a much slower memory at only 1000 MHz but it has 2 gigs as opposed to 1 for the other two.  Again, which is better, a fast 1GB or a slow 2GB ?

These are the three I'm considering.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=Property&N=100007708%204027&IsNodeId=1&PropertyCodeValue=2953%3A18921&bop=And&CompareItemList=48%7C14-161-374%5E14-161-374-TS%2C14-161-392%5E14-161-392-TS%2C14-161-390%5E14-161-390-TS

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 02:44:53 PM »
What would you want to use them for?

Basically you can say that Core-clock beats Multiplier.
On graphic cards in this class 1 Gig of RAM would suffice, 2 Gig may sound better but brings no improvement on DDR3 systems.

Nevertheless all three only should be used for older games. Games like "Battlefield 3" will hardly be playable, at least not with all graphics switched on.
If you want to use them as output-device for a HTPC all three should easily match the requirements.

W0m6at

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 03:21:25 PM »
I haven't read this thread properly (only skimmed), but if the PS3 controller annoys you too much (assuming you go the PS3 route), you can get Xbox-styled controllers for it now.

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 07:00:32 PM »
Actually, I'm not entirely unhappy with my current quality, it's not great but it's good enough for me.  The only reason I want to improve is because video is slower than audio during animation.  When there's an animated scene in Assassin's creed the video always keeps playing a while after the audio has finished.  The longer the scene, the longer the difference and sometimes I have to spend up to 10 seconds waiting for the video to "catch up".

I really wouldn't mind buying a high end card but I will absolutely not have a card with a fan, games are not important enough for me to sacrifice the pleasure of watching movies in a noise free environment. As for the games, I'm gonna get Assasin's Creed Revelations (which, unlike "Brotherhood", will be released at the same time as PS3 and xBox versiions in a week) and most probably Batman: Arkham City.

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 07:54:55 PM »
I think I'm gonna get this baby...........................................I just have to pull out the tape measure and see if it will fit in my case before ordering :hysterical:

My mobo and the onboard chip support Hybrid crossfirex, I wonder if it's worth enabling it once I get the card.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125386

Najemikon

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 09:10:52 PM »
That should do the trick! It's DDR5, so you're onto the proper chipset and fanless? You've done well there if so. I'm always wary of those dual crossover options, but if you've got it, you might as well test it.  :thumbup:

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 09:50:25 PM »
I watched a video about how to choose a video card and the guy said that the most important is the number of stream processing units (also called shaders).  These are the things that do the actual rendering and regardless of the core clock/ memory clock speed, if the stream processing units is low you will not get good results.

Assuming he know what he's talking about, it becomse obvious that a <100$ with 480 stream processing units won't give me super great results so I looked for something better and, considering I absolute want it fanless,  I think I should be happy I found that one.

As for CrossFireX, I will try it but I think it will actually slow it down.  What I read when running it with cards at different speeds is that either one card will overclock itself or the other one will "underclock" to get to the same speed.  Obviously, my onboard HD 4200 will never overclock enough to match the 6770 with DDR5 so, if I understand this correctly, my mid-end card will slow down so much that I will be better off without CrossFireX at all.

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 03:25:45 AM »
I ordered that Gigabyte card.  Thanks to you all for the help.

Now I have one big problem left..............Assassin's Creed Revelations and Batman Arkham City are both supposed to come out on Nov. 15......................which one do I get first ?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 05:15:58 AM »
Batman!

Although, I remember you played (some of) the previous AC game(s)...? Have you play Arkham Asylum?

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 12:43:06 PM »
I played the first three Assassin's Creed.  The last thing I ever played before that was the "Myst" series.  I haven't played Arkham Asylum, do I want to get it before Arkham City ?

Edit: Nevermind, it's only 20$ on Steam, I created an account and bought it, downloading now.

P.S: How does Steam work exactly, it looks like it's going to install the game on my machine, not just download an ISO file.  Can I backup the downloaded file in case I need to reinstall ?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 01:21:31 PM by Eric »

RossRoy

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 01:56:56 PM »
P.S: How does Steam work exactly, it looks like it's going to install the game on my machine, not just download an ISO file.  Can I backup the downloaded file in case I need to reinstall ?

Steam is a sort of Game Vault. You can download and reinstall as many times as you wish. But it is possible to backup the downloaded game for future use.

Najemikon

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 09:11:06 PM »
Steam installs the game locally as if you had the cd, but updates it automatically. If you buy a retail game Steam will often accept the code straightaway and in some cases, you stick the cd in and it installs Steam first. In all cases it enables you on share your username wih friends and manage achievements.

By the way, what is your username? ;)