Author Topic: Possessivess  (Read 2339 times)

lovemunkey187

Possessivess
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:49:09 AM »
I daren't bring this up over there and, TBH I can't be bothered to trawl through all of the crap to find for myself, so I was wondering what the rule is on possessives in a films title was.

Specifically for "Sin City" or should that be "Frank Millers Sin City"?.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Possessivess
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 12:24:06 PM »
AFAIK the consensus is based on the credits block on the back of the DVD

"Frank Miller's Sin City" -> Frank Miller's Sin City
Frank Miller's "Sin City" -> Sin City

Personally I remove all possessivess localy because I wouldn't know in the first place whose movie it is. I'd look for "Sin City" under "S" and "The Birds" under "B", not under "A(lfred)" or "H(itchcock)".
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 01:08:57 PM »
AFAIK the consensus is based on the credits block on the back of the DVD

"Frank Miller's Sin City" -> Frank Miller's Sin City
Frank Miller's "Sin City" -> Sin City

Personally I remove all possessivess localy because I wouldn't know in the first place whose movie it is. I'd look for "Sin City" under "S" and "The Birds" under "B", not under "A(lfred)" or "H(itchcock)".

You are right... except it is more then a consensus... it is written that was in the rules now.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:32:13 PM »
When one of you comes up with the definitive answer, remember to Skip-ify it!  :laugh: If you type the word "RULES", "NO", or "YOU PEOPLE" it should be in capitals. All other words shuld be mispelt. Then threaten to leave/sulk/post-lots-of-smileys.  :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 12:06:21 AM »
When one of you comes up with the definitive answer, remember to Skip-ify it!  :laugh: If you type the word "RULES", "NO", or "YOU PEOPLE" it should be in capitals. All other words shuld be mispelt. Then threaten to leave/sulk/post-lots-of-smileys.  :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

:hysterical:

+1

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 01:07:56 AM »
I don't use the possessives in the DVDP database - the title is one of the few locks I use. I alphabetize my DVDs by the title only, no possessives, and so keep the database the same.

Touti

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 01:16:38 AM »

My position as forum owner and administrator does not allow me to endorse that kind of statement because ...............................aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh what the heck......+1  ;D

RossRoy

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 05:30:35 AM »
I don't use the possessives in the DVDP database - the title is one of the few locks I use. I alphabetize my DVDs by the title only, no possessives, and so keep the database the same.

Basically what I do too. One of the first things I do after entering a new purchase in my Owned list, is to set the Title, production year, country of origin and case type and lock them.