Author Topic: The ABC Afterschool Special  (Read 975 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
The ABC Afterschool Special
« on: October 18, 2011, 06:01:20 AM »
Back in my younger days, there was a television program which tried to teach kids about science, nature and society, it was called The ABC Afterschool Special. It ran for over twenty years and won all kinds of Daytime Emmys for their outstanding work. The first episode that I watched was the inaugural episode about man's role in the extinction of native species of animals. The episode was called The Last of the Curlews which was adapted from a successful novel from the 60's by Fred Bodsworth. I was eleven years old at the time of its airing, and it made a die hard environmentalist out of me. I was surfing YouTube and came across the whole film and wanted to share it with everyone. It's only about 45 minutes long and is really a very moving story, give it a look. I hadn't seen this in 39 years, but was amazed at how many images from this film still lingered in my mind.

A WARNING: This will have you bawling like a baby at the end.

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
Re: The ABC Afterschool Special
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 05:20:59 AM »
I remember that show and many others like Reading Rainbow and School House Rock.

Saturday mornings on cable were so much more educational back then than now (though with satellite you get so many other channels that some are education 24/7.)
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.