Author Topic: Salo Or The 120 Days Of Sodom  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Salo Or The 120 Days Of Sodom
« on: February 19, 2008, 05:01:21 AM »
I have some movie on DVD-R (please don't beat me) and usually I have them because they are not release yet officially or the official release is somewhat problematic. So for a while they were a lot of talk about a re-release of the Criterion edition of this film, but no official news and it was discuss for more than a year.

Like everyone on earth I have no intention to deal with e-bay on this, this DVD have a two miles long story of bootlegging. So I've check for a region 2 edition and I've found this one on Amazon.uk Marketplace for a reasonable price.

(Bfi Video)
It looks like the complete version (at least the running time is the same of my DVD-R).
Not that I want to buy it tomorrow, but my tax return is interesting this year and I must replace it (I hate to have illegal stuff).

So my questions are :

How is the quality of the DVD?
Do you have some experiences with this Sellers :safe_heaven76?

It's not 200$ but for 52.25 Pounds + delivery + exchange rate I prefer to be certain even if the seller have a 100% rate on 1261 transactions.

Thanks for the help  ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:05:14 AM by AESP_pres »

Najemikon

Re: Salo Or The 120 Days Of Sodom
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:56:25 AM »
That sounds pricey, Jimmy. I found this on Ebay:

Ebay

I see no problem with that auction or seller.

If you do a search for Salo DVD, it only returns 7. Only two look truly genuine and I don't trust the other guys feedback or his method of selling. This one though I would trust. And bear in mind, I buy and sell on Ebay all the time and I think I've been tripped up just once. :thumbup:

By the way, do you know about this site? Rewind (DVD Compare)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 02:51:14 PM »
The one on e-bay is an used copy and the one at Amazon is new and unpack, that's why the price is higher. The Criterion release is out of reach for me (I'm not crazy enough to spend that much money on one movie) :

372.32 $CAN on Amazon.ca marketplace (Used - Very Good)
299.99 $US on Amazon (new)

Usually I prefer to buy my DVD new. I don't like used DVD, too fragile (just one little scratch and it's over). I don't trust the way a stranger take care of his DVD.

That's why I don't think that the price is that high (probably something between 70-90 CAN$ with all include). My tax return is just for the end of march or april beginning, so I don't have the money now for e-bay.

Do you know Jon if "Bfi Video" is a quality DVD producer? I don't know that label at all

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 09:27:52 PM »
BFI is the British Film Institute and essentially a charity as far as funding is concerned. Their job in the main is to promote and preserve film, especially British of course. So the DVD section is used for this purpose and as such they don't have a huge back catalogue. I don't think I have any of theirs.

However from what I've heard their transfers are always good solid quality. They just lack the full restoration you'd get from Criterion.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 09:59:27 PM »
I had to revive this old topic, because of a really great news :

Criterion will re-release the movie in august  :yahoo: :yahoo:

My wait was not in vain, I could have paid all the overprice money ask for the old version but I've always keep my hope that it will be re-release one day. OK it was a much more longer wait that I was thinking, but finally I will be able to replace my 20$ vhs rip.

I know that this film is not a pleasant one, but it represent a very important pieces of cinema history.

This is the cover

Criterion link

Edit : If you are a Criterion completist (I know that some people are) the price of the first release is really falling on the second hand market. The only seller for it at Amazon.ca sell it for 29.99 CDN$, it was 372.32 CDN$ 3 months ago  :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:20:15 PM by AESP_pres »

m.cellophane

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 01:46:02 AM »
Edit : If you are a Criterion completist (I know that some people are) the price of the first release is really falling on the second hand market. The only seller for it at Amazon.ca sell it for 29.99 CDN$, it was 372.32 CDN$ 3 months ago  :laugh:
:laugh: The end of an era.

Was that the priciest OOP DVD? It sure was a big one for many years.

Let us know how you like it. It's always cool when a long-sought-after DVD comes out. On the Criterion front, I can't wait for Jacques Tati's Trafic on 7/28.  :dance:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 04:00:35 AM »
Was that the priciest OOP DVD? It sure was a big one for many years.
I'm sure that it was the priciest one, even one of the bootleg was very costly  :weep:
I know that the Dark Sky release of Mario Bava's "Kill, Baby, Kill" is costly to buy, but I can't find someone who sell it. The title was never release because of rights issue (it was release by AB) and only the screeners exist, the collectors want this one because of the Tim Lucas commentary.

One that I've :  The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection, Vol. 10 for $124.99 at Amazon (was more before the different release)
and in the same serie but I don't have it : The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection, Vol. 9 for $175.00