Author Topic: Help please?  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Help please?
« on: October 03, 2011, 10:28:08 PM »
I need some help from one of you computer gurus out there. My computer is running strangely and after running my anti-virus and malwarebytes software, it's still doing the same thing. The CPU spikes out at 100% randomly and I have to wait for it to clear out before I can do anything else. This is a screenshot of the processes section of the task manager. Does anyone recognize anything here that might be causing this problem.

Another question...Do you see anything there that should be turned off and how would I do it?

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: Help please?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 10:33:39 PM »
It's either the Antivirus program (avast) or, more likely, the Java Quick Starter (jqs). The latter can be disabled via the Java Extended Settings in Control Panel.
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 10:52:48 PM »
I use Avast and never had a problem with it. From the list, there are two I'm not happy about.

Look here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=85024 They're discussing high CPU usage from acs.exe, which you have. Might be worth killing that temporarily, though it may also take your net connection with it.

Also, sweetim is some sort of emoticon plug-in for Messenger. Unnecessary and largely trouble, bloody things, I hate them! Google how to uninstall Sweetim (don't just go straight for add/remove programs). I wouldn't trust it.

Thing is, you already know how to get into task manager, so have you monitored it when it taps out at 100%? If you click the CPU column it will sort by the processes putting the largest demand on the processor. System idle should be the percentage of whatever is left, so don't be concerned by it running at 99% as it is there.

Also, don't rule out hardware. A dodgy fan full of dust can cause the CPU to spike. If it starts turning itself off, take the lid off and give it a blow out (don't use a Hoover!).

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:53:02 AM »
First of all your list is incomplete. Compare CPU usage (4%) and listing which sums up to 0%.

For a listing of all (except hidden) processes flag the "Show processes from all users"-option.

Processes that can/should be disabled in Autostart (via "Start -> Run -> msconfig):
jusched.exe (Java Update scheduler)
PDVDServ.exe (There's absolutely no sense in having normal applications in the Autostart, they don't start faster when needed and are using RAM when idle)
RichVideo.exe (There's absolutely no sense in having normal applications in the Autostart, they don't start faster when needed and are using RAM when idle)

SweetIM is a PlugIn that comes with MSN-messenger and should be disabled. If you are not using the MSN-messenger you might even want to uninstall it.

ctfmon might cause some trouble in CPU and RAM usage. To disable it Rightclick on the "US" sign in the lower right area of your taskbar -> Choose "Settings" -> Click on the second tab and disable "Enhanced Settings" (or equivalent, sorry for not being more precise, but I'm using the localized German version).

For finding unwanted processes I found "Spybot Search & Destroy" to be extremely useful.
In the "Enhanced" mode (which you can easily enable after installation) you can:
- get a complete list of all processes that are starting with your system with an easy to use traffic light system to distinguish between malware (red), unneeded (yellow) and OK (green).
- get a complete list of all processes currently running on your machine (incl. hierarchies and dependencies), which is much better than the very simplistic "Windows Task Manager".
- get a list of all currently installed Browser PlugIns with an evaluation in the already mentioned "Traffic Light"-style.
- By "Immunizing" your system known malware-site calls by your machine automatically get redirected to 127.0.0.1 (means they don't get out of your computer and therefore end up in Data-Nirvana)

BigTim

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 11:00:25 AM »
Just off the top of my head.  What CPU do you have?  Is it overheating?  I'm just thinking the people are right.  The numbers don't add up.  If your getting 100% spikes you may be having an actual physical problem not software related.  What speed and brand processor do you run?  Is it seated right?  Have you had any bumps or anything like that to the case.  Maybe I'm way off but the simple stuff to check is that sort of thing. Software can be a bitch to run down.  Hope that helps a little.

Big Tim

:headscratch:

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 04:01:02 AM »
Task manager is a crappy tool to diagnose high cpu.  Process Explorer is much better.  Run it on your next CPU spike, it will help you identify the process(es) that is/are responsible.

Task Manager can show you lots of "svchost" processes but it doesn't tell you what process it is actually "hosting", process explorer does.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 11:36:03 PM »
Finally figured out what it was. One of my add-ons or extensions was corrupt in Firefox. I removed the browser and all personal info and re-installed and now the problem seems to have disappeared.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 02:31:57 PM »
Needs some help again...I want to do an internet search using four keywords. I only want pages to appear that have all four keywords on it, not just three or two of them. How do I type in the search so that this happens?

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »
Combine the words with an all caps "AND" (without inverted commas), this will give you only the search results that contain all parameters of your query.

If you are looking for a certain combination of words (e.g.: absolutely no sports) put your query in inverted commas.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 05:30:39 PM by Silence_of_Lambs »

kahless

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 04:48:13 PM »
Maybe this could help: Google Queries <- click!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 05:06:53 AM »
According the Google Help page the trick with AND will not work, as it is already the default. Yet the default occasionally will omit words.

But, if you go to Advanced Search (only shows up, below the page numbers, after you clicked Search for the first time) you will have a field to "Find web pages that have...all these words:".

Offline Blair

• Heavy Poster
  • ¡umop apisdn w,I
    • View Profile
    • My DVD Collection
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 05:52:14 AM »
That part of the Advanced Search lies. If you only use that field, you are doing the exact same thing as a regular search. It was just easier to state it that way than to explain it would try to find pages with all words but may include other similar pages with only a few of the words.

Search in Google with a plus sign in front of each word, like this:

+only +show +pages +that +have +every +word

You can exclude pages that have a word by using a minus instead. The same trick also works with phrases by placing the plus of minus in front of a phrase that is surrounded by quotes:

+"Include all pages with this phrase" -"except for those that also contain this phrase"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 05:56:05 AM by Blair »
I have a collection.
It can be found here.
No need to check it often.
I update it only twice a year!

Never go to bed mad. Sleep on the couch instead.

There are a few broken branches in every family tree.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 03:44:12 PM »
That part of the Advanced Search lies. If you only use that field, you are doing the exact same thing as a regular search. It was just easier to state it that way than to explain it would try to find pages with all words but may include other similar pages with only a few of the words.
Year, some further testing revealed that to me too. Not working as advertised is hat I say to that. The + signs sem like a good idea though.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 05:53:44 PM »
Thanks for the help, but I guess the website I'm looking for is gone. Blair's idea worked great.