Author Topic: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2011  (Read 32689 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2011
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2011, 03:16:30 AM »
Watching this movie you can't help but to think of the movie Jaws which was released 3 years earlier.
I really like Joe Dante. He never got real big (I suppose Innerspace was his biggest hit, oh and The Burbs maybe), but he almost always delivers quality work. Heck, is latest film still has no distribution in the US...?

So, if you found this reminding you of Jaws then they were really successful, as that was what they intended to do ;) A spoof on Spielberg's monster fish movie... Avoid the sequel; I have never seen it but common consensus is it's crap. James Cameron's name is on it, but he left halfway through to make Teminator.

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2011, 03:21:39 AM »
Watching this movie you can't help but to think of the movie Jaws which was released 3 years earlier.
I really like Joe Dante. He never got real big (I suppose Innerspace was his biggest hit, oh and The Burbs maybe), but he almost always delivers quality work. Heck, is latest film still has no distribution in the US...?

So, if you found this reminding you of Jaws then they were really successful, as that was what they intended to do ;) A spoof on Spielberg's monster fish movie... Avoid the sequel; I have never seen it but common consensus is it's crap. James Cameron's name is on it, but he left halfway through to make Teminator.

If you ever get the chance, buy this book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dreaming-Aloud-Films-James-Cameron/dp/038525816X/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318727934&sr=1-10

Although it stops at Titanic it is an excellent read, especially with regards to his career at Roger Corman's company where he started as an art effects man. It has a whole chapter dedicated to Piranha 2, and all the crap that happened on set with who was in charge of what. Also a lot of info on the ideas behind and scheduling conflicts between Terminator and Alien films he was obviously involved in. Very informative and a recommended read (and actually quite candid in parts). I wouldn't have picked this book up but got it for practically nothing in a charity shop.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 03:23:42 AM by samuelrichardscott »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2011, 05:02:06 PM »

The Walking Dead: Season 2": What Lies Ahead
In the season 2 premiere, Rick and the group leaves Atlanta and encounter a threat on the highway the likes of which they've never seen. Elsewhere, the group search for a missing person.

My Thoughts:
an excellent start of the new season! I loved every minute of it! If you remember right... towards the end of the season 1 finale the scientist whispers something in Rick's ear. Well the very first thing in this episode you get teased with what that is... but they still don't tell us! I want to know what the big secret is! Oh... and the way this one ended! The very first episode of the season and we get a cliffhanger! I so can't wait till next week now!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 19
TV Ep. Count: 45
Other Count: 1
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2011, 07:09:31 PM »
     Severed: Forest Of The Dead (2005/)

Screen Media Films
Director:Carl Bessai
Writing:Julian Clarke (Original Material By), Travis McDonald (Original Material By), Carl Bessai (Screenwriter), Travis McDonald (Screenwriter)
Length:96 min.
Rating:R: Horror, Violence and Gore
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.77:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Paul Campbell as Tyler
Sarah Lind as Rita
Julian Christopher as Mac
JR Bourne as Carter
Michael Teigen as Luke
Leanne Adachi as Stacey

Plot:
A group of young environmental activists become infected, ravenous, unstoppable zombies when a forestry company's genetic experimentation goes disastrously wrong. Sheer terror can't pump enough adrenaline through these bodies to help them out of this remote forest in this gruesome tale of horror. Severed stands heads (and other body parts) above the rest!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a zombie movie... but different. In this one they can put the zombie down permanently if they shoot them in the head or the heart. Which seemed strange to me. They also limited the amount of gore in this one. And a zombie movie with less gore don't cut it too well. It isn't a terrible movie... but it isn't what I would call great either. Maybe part of the problem is watching this after enjoying The Walking Dead so much. 

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 20
TV Ep. Count: 45
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2011, 09:50:22 PM »
Just the cover was enough to guess it will be a bad movie :laugh:
I have to scroll down to read the review.

2 and a half isn't a good rating when it's from you.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2011, 03:27:39 PM »
     Drak Pack: The Complete Series (1980/Canada)

VEI
Director:Chris Cuddington
Length:108 min.
Rating:NR
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Bill Callaway as Howler/ Frankie
Hans Conried as Dr. Dred
Jerry Dexter as Drak Jr.
Chuck McCann as Mummy Man
Julie McWhirter as Vampira
Don Messick as Toad/ The Fly

Plot:
When three teenage friends put their hands together and shout "whack-o!" they transform into descendants of Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolfman. Now dedicated to reversing the evil image of their ancestors, this new generation of crime-fighting monsters – Drak Jr., Frankie, and Howler – band together as the DRAK PACK!

For the first time ever on DVD, this classic Saturday morning cartoon follows the adventures of this threesome as they travel around in their Drakster vehicle and use their new found supernatural and animalistic powers to foil the diabolical plots of O.G.R.E (the Organization of Generally Rotten Enterprises). led by blue-skinned Dr. Dred and his cohorts Toad, Mummy Man, The Fly, and Vampira.

"It's right versus wrong; good over greed; niceness against naughtiness. That's the dedication of the terrific trio - the DRAK PACK!"

Episodes:
1. Grimmest Book of Records
2. Dr. Dred is a Shrinker
3. International Grafitti
4. Time Out for Dr. Dred
5. The Hide Out Hotel

Extras:
  • NONE

My Thoughts:
I got this set for no other reason then nostalgia. I haven't seen this show since they originally aired. I was only about 10yrs old at the time. Since I haven't seen it since I was of course worried going into it... afraid it wouldn't hold up to my childhood memory. This morning I went ahead and watched the first disc of the 3 disc set. Which has the first 5 episodes of the series (out of a total of 16 episodes).

I am happy to say that this series held up well for me. Sure it is silly... sure it is corny. But I also found it to be just fun. It reminded me of my childhood. I almost felt like a kid again watching it. So I enjoyed every minute of watching the first disc worth of episodes again. That however doesn't mean I recommend this one to someone that didn't grow up watching the series. I think this one is just for those of us that has fond memories of the series from our childhood. I will try to get Brittany to watch some episodes when I watch the next disc to give me more of an idea how someone new to the show would feel about it.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 20
TV Ep. Count: 50
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2011, 01:07:22 AM »
     Sinful (2006/United States)

Director:Tony Marsiglia
Writing:Tony Marsiglia (Screenwriter)
Length:74 min.
Rating:R : Violence/Gore, Language, Some Sexuality & Drug Use
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Misty Mundae as Lilith
Erika Smith as Aisha
Nikos Psarras as Sam
Ronnie Kerr as Jim
John Castine as Abusive Stepfather
Deena Wolfe-Guerin as Daisy

Plot:
"Sinful" marks the fifth screen collaboration between writer/director Tony Marsiglia (Lust for Dracula, Sin Sisters) and renowned 'B' movie actress Misty Mundae (Shock-O-Rama, Spiderbabe). Together they deliver a dark, brutal and vicious film that is sexually provocative and psychologically intense. It's a horrifying vision of maternal instinct gone past the edge of sanity - a story literally 'torn from today's headlines'!

Lilith (Misty Mundae) cannot conceive a child no matter how hard she tries and how desperately she wishes. As her marriage begins to unravel, so does her hold on reality slowly and painfully and dangerously slip away. A beautiful neighbor who has just become pregnant befriends Lilith, and their relationship ignites a furious envy within her that turns increasingly threatening. Cursed with a body refusing to bear life and driven mad by psychotic fantasy, Lilith will stop at nothing to experience happiness with a child - any child. She will become a mother, right this very moment, however monstrous and shocking the consequences might be.

Extras:
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Interviews
  • Sinful at 2006 film festival
  • Sinful Audition: Erika Smith

My Thoughts:
After watching this movie I am still not 100% sure of what all I saw here. A very weird film. I think I will have to watch it again with the director's commentary on to get all the finer points of the film. It basically felt like you were inside the head of a crazy person for the entire film.  But even with that said... it had me glued to my seat. I just couldn't stop watching... I had to see what they were going to do next. This movie has a little bit of everything... it has a bit of blood... it has a bit of gore... it has nudity... all wrapped up in this surreal storyline. I did watch some of the extras on this disc. That is where I learned that the entire movie was shot in only 5 days. Considering the budget and the time they had... I am pretty impressed with it.

As I have said... I have become a fan of Erin Brown (credited as Misty Mundae here). And I thinks she was right good in this one. I wouldn't say she was quite as good in it as she was in the Masters of Horror episode... as I really liked her in that. But it was pretty close. While I still think I need to watch it again... possibly with the commentary on... over-all I liked it. Glad I have it in my collection now.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 21
TV Ep. Count: 50
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2011, 01:17:46 AM »
It basically felt like you were inside the head of a crazy person for the entire film.
That was my theory too when I've reviewed it, but I forgot what Tony say about it in his commentary...

BTW happy to see you liked it, since it's one of the recommandation I did to you last week ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2011
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2011, 01:22:47 AM »
Now we just have to get Sebastien to watch it!  :tease: :laugh:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2011, 01:25:15 AM »
Yeah like that I won't be able to bring the subject again every chances I have :laugh:

But I think he is on a X-Files marathon (from what I see in his banner) :shrug:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2011, 02:27:03 AM »
     Bones: Season Three: Mummy in the Maze (2007/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director: Marita Grabiak
Writing:Hart Hanson (Created By), Scott Williams (Writer)
Length:44 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
David Boreanaz as Agent Seeley Booth
Emily Deschanel as Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennan
Michaela Conlin as Angela Montenegro
Eric Millegan as Zack Addy
Tamara Taylor as Dr. Camille Saroyan

Plot:
With Halloween rapidly approaching, the mummified remains of two young girls lead the team through a twisted maze of creepy clues.
Airdate: 10/30/07

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
One of my all time favorite episodes of the series. It has a great story and it has a LOT of fun with Halloween. And I must say... Brennan looked great as Wonder Woman... as did Camille looked great as Cat Woman. Not that Angela looked bad as a Show Girl of course! Then there was  Booth dressed up like a squint... which was very funny. This one is just an all-around excellent episode!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 21
TV Ep. Count: 51
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2011, 03:12:20 AM »
But I think he is on a X-Files marathon (from what I see in his banner) :shrug:

Actually, if you go to the site and look at the dates at which I last watched X-Files, you'd find out I'm on a marathon of ... nothing. I haven't watched anything since August 7, when I watched the last disc of Season 2. I've been pretty much exclusively playing games since then.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2011, 02:13:09 PM »

Snowbeast (1977)

Brentwood Home Video
Director:Herb Wallerstein
Writing:Joseph Stefano (Writer)
Length:86 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Bo Svenson as Gar Seberg
Yvette Mimieux as Ellen Seberg
Robert Logan as Tony Rill
Clint Walker as Sheriff Paraday
Sylvia Sidney as Carrie Rill
Thomas W. Babson as Buster

Plot:
A deadly mystery hangs over the Rill Ski Resort in Colorado after a young skier is found dead, killed by a mysterious animal! After more attacks, two ski champions (Bo Svenson and Yvette Mimieux) go into pursuit to stop the mysterious and elusive beast. Will they stop this beast in time...or will they die trying?

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is a TV movie that I got as part of the Vault of Horror boxset. After getting the 2011 remake yesterday I thought I would watch the original followed by the remake today. It seems that TV Movies are usually looked down on. But I personally have always enjoyed a good TV Movie. The fact that they were originally made for TV don't bother me in the least. While this particular one isn't one of the best I have seen.... it is a little on the slow side for my taste... I still enjoy it.  One thing that I personally always liked about TV Movies is that there is normally names I am familiar with from TV series and such. But not in this case. Unfortunately there is no one in this movie I really know from anything else. Over-all I enjoyed this movie... but it could have been better.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 22
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2011, 05:26:05 PM »
     Snow Beast (2011)

Director:Brian Brough
Writing:Brittany Wiscombe (Writer)
Length:91 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Some Creature Violence
Video:Widescreen :1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
John Schneider as Jim Harwood
Danielle Ryan Chuchran [Danielle Chuchran] as Emmy Harwood
Paul D. Hunt as Rob
Kari Hawker as Marci
Jason London as Barry
Dale Thomas as Gibbons

Plot:
People disappear every year out in the snow, but now something is adding to the body count. Jim and his research team study the Canadian Lynx every year. This year, he has to take his rebelling 16 year-old daughter, Emmy, with him. But the lynx are missing. As Jim and his team try to find why, something stalks them—a predator like they've never seen before. Starring John Schneuder ("The Dukes of Hazzard," "Smallville") and Jason London (Dazed and Confused). Are you ready to meet the Snow Beast?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is a remake of the last movie I watched. I have to say I like this version much more. Not only do you get a more updated version... you get better views of the Snow Beast. A better... more interesting storyline and a bit more blood. But not to worry if you are the squeamish type. There is still very little blood in it. I also like the fact that this one stars John Schneider. I been a fan of his since he starred in the old TV Series The Dukes of Hazzard. Most people probably know him as Johnathan Kent in Smallville. Over-all liked this one quite a bit. can see myself watching it again. I am glad I have it in my collection.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 23
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »
Weird that doesn't sound like a remake to me :shrug:
Sure I've seen Snowbeast (notice it's one word) some years ago, but it seems to me the film is about some rich people trying to buy a ski resort while a beast is running arround :hmmmm:

As I say I could be wrong but it sounds more to me like a sound-a-alike bigfoot movie than a remake Per Se :shrug: