Author Topic: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2011  (Read 32636 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2011
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2011, 02:19:15 PM »

Supernatural
Season seven finds Dean and Sam reeling from the loss of their friend. Sam's violent memories of Hell threaten to overtake him, threatening not just his life, but his brother's as well. Meanwhile, Dean struggles under the weight of a secret that threatens to tear them apart. And even as the brothers traverse the backroads of America, hunting things that go bump in the night, something is coming for them. They are about to face an enemy more canny and adaptable than any they've ever fought. As the landscape around them becomes increasingly treacherous, the tools they've come to rely upon will be stripped away. Our heroes, like so many outlaws before them, will find themselves utterly outmatched and outgunned, with no one to rely on but each other.

Episodes:
1. Meet the New Boss
2. Hello, Cruel World
3. The Girl Next Door
4. Defending Your Life
5. Shut Up, Dr. Phil

My Thoughts:
Between last night and this morning I just watched the first 5 episodes of the new season of Supernatural. I enjoyed all the episodes so far. My favorite episode so far has to be Defending Your Life for a serious episode. though I also really enjoyed Shut Up, Dr. Phil which guest starred Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters... both of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame. Though this one was done in a somewhat more fun/silly way.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 29
TV Ep. Count: 63
Other Count: 1
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2011, 05:03:27 PM »
     The Ape Man (1943/United States)

Mill Creek Entertainment
Director:William Beaudine
Writing:Karl Brown (Story "They Creep In The Dark"), Barney A. Sarecky [Barney Sarecky] (Screenplay)
Length:64 min.
Rating:NR
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Bela Lugosi as Dr. James Brewster
Louise Currie as Billie Mason
Wallace Ford as Jeff Carter
Henry Hall as Dr. George Randall
Minerva Urecal as Agatha Brewster
Emil Van Horn as The Ape

Plot:
Dr. Brewster (Bela Lugosi) is working on a serum derived from gorilla spinal fluid and tests his experimental formula upon himself. Unfortunately, the serum transforms Dr. Brewster into a simian-like creature and he desperately attempts to find a cure. Only human spinal fluid will return him to normal but, Dr. Brewster uses some nefarious methods to extract his needed supply.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Feeling a little brave this morning I decided to watch a movie out of the Mill Creek Entertainment's b]Horror Classics: 100 Movie Pack[/b]. So I decided on this Bela Lugosi film I never seen before. Hoping it wouldn't be as bad as some of the other movies in this set. The first thing I noticed... and no I am not surprised... the print leaves a lot to be desired. Lots of scratches and such on the film. The audio is so low on this one that I had to turn my TV up all the way just to hear it. The movie itself... while and interesting idea... just didn't hold my attention as much as I would have liked. I actually found myself getting a bit bored within the first 15 minutes. Unfortunately Bela Lugosi did nothing for me in this one. Though I did like how they did him up as the Ape Man. But over all... this one did little more then just bore me.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 30
TV Ep. Count: 63
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2011, 12:34:26 AM »
     Bewitched: The Complete Fourth Season: A Safe and Sane Halloween (1967/United States)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:William Asher
Writing:James Henerson (Writer)
Length:228 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Elizabeth Montgomery as Samantha
Dick York as Darrin
Agnes Moorehead as Endora

Plot:
Tabitha brings Halloween pictures to life.

Extras:
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I decided to watch the first disc of season 4 Bewitched since I just recently got the set. And on that first disc is that year's Halloween episode. Which as usual, is a lot of fun. Especially like the episodes where the neighbor Gladys is driven nuts... and this is a great example of one of them!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 64
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2011, 03:59:33 PM »

The Big Bang Theory: The Good Guy Fluctuation
Leonard feels threatened when a charming comic-book artist comes between him and Priya; and Sheldon is determined to scare his friends on Halloween.

My Thoughts:
If I am not mistaken... last night's episode of The Big Bang Theory is the first one since season one. Which is a shame... as Halloween episodes has always been among my favorites... no matter the series. I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. It was a lot of fun watching Sheldon trying to get even with the other guys for their Halloween prank. Though I must admit I saw the outcome of the Leonard/Priya storyline coming from a mile away. I also wish Penny had a larger part in this episode. It seemed like they barely used her at all this week.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 65
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2011, 05:54:17 PM »
     Drive Thru (2006/United States)

Director:Brendan Cowles, Shane Kuhn
Writing:Shane Kuhn (Writer), Brendan Cowles (Writer)
Length:87 min.
Rating:R : Strong Horror Violence and Gore, Drug Use, Language and Some Sexual Content
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Leighton Meester as Mac
Nicholas D'Agosto as Fish
Melora Hardin as Marcia Carpenter
Lola Glaudini as Detective Chase
Larry Joe Campbell as Detective Crockers
Van De la Plante as Horny the Clown/Archie Benjamin

Plot:
High schooler Mackenzie Carpenter thinks her biggest problem is dying of boredom in the bucolic wasteland of Orange County — until her classmates start dying of massive blood loss, and Horny The Clown, the mascot for local burger favorite HELLA-BURGER, begins madly stalking her with cryptic messages hidden in 70's kitsch toys. It isn't until Mac discovers her unbelievable connection to Horny and his victims that she realizes — if she's going to live to see 18 — she must come face-to-face with the killer clown in the bloodiest week Blanca Carne, California, has ever known.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
When I first bought this four movie set I was told by a few people that Drive-Thru is a good one. After watching it I am not sure how I want to rate this one. Some scenes I enjoyed quite a bit... yet other scenes just didn't work to keep my attention fully. When it first started I thought I would straight-out hate this one. But then I started to enjoy. From there it went back and forth between the two through-out the rest of the movie. All the music in this one took away from it for me as well. But it has some decent kills in it. And how can you not enjoy the fact that the killer is "Horny the Clown." Though I do think they could have done his look a little better. The fact that his mouth was a drive-thru speaker box kinda bugged me a bit... as in a little too silly. Over-all I think I am glad I gave it a chance. It was worth the time I put into it... but it could have been better.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 31
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2011, 08:13:06 PM »
     Creep (2005)

Lions Gate Home Entertainment
Director:Christopher Smith
Writing:Christopher Smith (Writer)
Length:85 min.
Rating:R : Strong Bloody Horror Violence, Language, Some Drug Use and Sexual Content
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Spanish

Stars:
Vas Blackwood as George
Ken Campbell as Arthur
Kathryn Gilfeather as Girl
Franka Potente as Kate
Grant Ibbs as Man
Joe Anderson as Male Model

Plot:
London. Midnight. Unable to find a taxi, model-agency booker Kate (Franka Potente) heads underground. Waiting for the last subway train, she dozes off...and awakens to find everyone else gone. Gripped by panic, Kate realizes she's locked in. But she is not alone. Lurking in the pitch-black maze is something unimaginable. Something that calls a deranged laboratory home. And something that's determined to make this subterranean hell Kate's last stop!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Another movie from the same set as Drive-Thru. This one I enjoyed a bit more. I liked the main storyline. The characters are more likable. I also liked how they did the effects. It does start off a little on the slow side... but doesn't take long to pull you in. Definitely one worth checking out if you have never seen it.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 32
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2011, 10:53:48 PM »

The Big Bang Theory: The Good Guy Fluctuation
Leonard feels threatened when a charming comic-book artist comes between him and Priya; and Sheldon is determined to scare his friends on Halloween.

My Thoughts:
If I am not mistaken... last night's episode of The Big Bang Theory is the first one since season one. Which is a shame... as Halloween episodes has always been among my favorites... no matter the series. I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. It was a lot of fun watching Sheldon trying to get even with the other guys for their Halloween prank. Though I must admit I saw the outcome of the Leonard/Priya storyline coming from a mile away. I also wish Penny had a larger part in this episode. It seemed like they barely used her at all this week.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:

I loved this episode and how Sheldon kept trying to scare everyone..though I could have done without the snake. 
I just hope the development with Leonard/Pryia means the end of that mess.  I agree, Penny needed more to do.  It might have been interesting to see Amy..especially if someone - maybe Penny - got her in on another prank against Sheldon.  Hmm...Penny didn't get to scare him..that's not fair.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2011, 11:02:20 PM »
     Grey's Anatomy: Season Four: Haunt You Every Day (2007/United States)

Director:Bethany Rooney
Writing:Krista Vernoff (Writer)
Length:44 min.
Rating:Rated TV-14 : DLS
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
Sandra Oh as Dr. Cristina Yang
Katherine Heigl as Dr. Isobel "Izzie" Stevens
Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev
T. R. Knight as Dr. George O'Malley

Plot:
It's Halloween at Seattle Grace and the day is chock-full of surprises for the doctors. Alex has a surprise visit from a former patient; Meredith thinks her mother's ashes are haunting her; Cristina is snubbed by a top surgeon; and everyone is shocked when Callie reveals George and Izzie's relationship to the public.

My Thoughts:
This is one of my favorite episodes of Grey's Anatomy. The medical stories were great... the personal stories were wonderfully done. It really seemed like the episode flew by as I was glued to the screen the entire time. I especially liked the story of the little boy Trick or Treating for an ear surgery.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 66
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2011, 12:33:42 AM »
     The Big Bang Theory: The Complete First Season: The Middle Earth Paradigm (2007/United States)

Warner Home Video
Director:Mark Cendrowski
Writing:Chuck Lorre (Created By), Bill Prady (Created By), David Litt (Screenwriter), Robert Cohen (Screenwriter), Dave Goetsch (Story By)
Length:21 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Johnny Galecki as Leonard Hofstadter
Jim Parsons as Sheldon Cooper
Kaley Cuoco as Penny
Simon Helberg as Howard Wolowitz
Kunal Nayyar as Rajesh Koothrappali

Plot:
Leonard discovers "hobbit" is the wrong costume to wear to Penny's Halloween party when her ex-boyfriend shows up. Also, Sheldon is not a zebra.

Extras:
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
After watching last night's episode I had the urge to watch the first season Halloween episode. It is an excellent episode. A lot of fun! I got a kick out of the costumes... especially how all the guys dressed as The Flash at first. Of course Penny looked great in her sexy cat costume. And got a good laugh out of Raj getting lucky at the end... and being told he is such a good listener. I enjoyed watching this episode so much that I went ahead and started to watch the series again starting with the pilot episode.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 67
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »

Grimm: Pilot
A university student is savagely attacked while jogging, and a mysterious woman visits her nephew to tell him a family secret in the opener of the dramatic series following a detective who tracks fairy-tale monsters.

My Thoughts:
Going by the pilot this is going to be a very good new series that airs on NBC. The story drew me in quickly... I liked how they did the effects. Definitely worth checking out. I am looking forward to the next episode.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 68
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2011, 12:03:15 PM »
     The Good Witch (2008/Canada)

Gaiam Americas
Director:Craig Pryce
Writing:Rod Spence (Writer)
Length:88 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Catherine Bell as Cassie Nightingale
Chris Potter as Jake Russell
Catherine Disher as Martha Tinsdale
Peter MacNeill as George O'Hanrahan
Allan Royal as Walter Cobb
Matthew Knight as Brandon Russell

Plot:
A mysterious, yet charming woman arrives in a small town and causes a stir when people think she is an actual witch. The town's moral committee, lead by the mayor's wife, becomes convinced she is evil and begins a campaign to drive her out of town. This causes much stress to the town sheriff, a struggling widower, who is slowly developing feelings for the woman. As their relationship grows, the woman helps the sheriff's children, as well as several members of the community, face their problems and overcome personal obstacles. But is it common sense or magic that's helping the townfolk? And will they ever be able to accept her as one of their own?

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I decided to watch this one today for a few reasons. First she has mysterious witchy powers... so it fits a bit there. Then movie does cover Halloween in a few scenes... so fits there as well. And then last night Hallmark Channel aired the newest sequel to the series... The Good Witch's Family. So I wanted to at least watch this first one again before watching it. Though I may decide to watch the other two sequels as well.

I really like the character of Cassandra Nightingale (The Good Witch)... the lovely Catherine Bell did a wonderful job in the role. I couldn't imagine anyone doing it better. If there is anything I didn't care for though... it would be that the ending felt like it was settled a little quickly and easily. But that didn't really take away from the movie for me. This is definitely a fun family watch. Unfortunately this DVD has no extras what so ever.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 33
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2011, 02:49:23 PM »

The Good Witch's Family
Kind witch Cassie (Catherine Bell) welcomes her long-lost cousin Abigail (Sarah Power) into her home in the fourth installment of this whimsical film series. Abigail stirs up trouble, however, as she tries to tear Cassie's family apart.

My Thoughts:
I don't know what it is about this series of films that I like so much. Granted I am a Catherine Bell fan... but I don't normally go for the sweet, always happy ending type. At least not this much. It is just a cute and fun movie... I enjoyed it.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 34
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2011, 03:47:55 PM »
    Halloween II: Unrated Director's Cut (2009/United States)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Rob Zombie
Writing:Rob Zombie (Writer)
Length:119 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Subtitles:English, Commentary

Stars:
Sheri Moon Zombie as Deborah Myers
Chase Vanek as Young Michael
Scout Taylor-Compton as Laurie Strode
Brad Dourif as Sheriff Lee Brackett
Caroline Williams as Dr. Maple
Malcolm McDowell as Dr. Samuel Loomis

Plot:
Rob Zombie's H2 (HALLOWEEN II) picks up at the exact moment that 2007's box-office smash HALLOWEEN stopped and follows the aftermath of Michael Myers' (Tyler Mane) murderous rampage through the eyes of heroine Laurie Strode (Scout Tayloy-Compton).

Evil has a new destiny. Michael Myers is back in this terrifying sequel to Rob Zombie's visionary re-imagining of HALLOWEEN. It is thaqt time of year again, and Michael Myers has returned home to sleepy Haddonfield, Illinois to take care of some unfinished family business. Unleashing a trail of terror that only horror master Zombia can. Myers will stop at nothing to bring closure to the secrets of his twisted past. But the town's got an unlikely new hero, if they can only stay alive long enough to stop the unstoppable.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:
I went into this one somewhat excited as I enjoyed the remake of part 1. But this one didn't work quite as much for me. It started out pretty good and I thought I would really enjoy it. But then as I watch I realize there is something wrong here. First... what happened to the town? Haddonfield always seemed to be an average middle-classed town. But in this one it feels more like a back-woods redneck town more then anything else. They really turned Loomis' character into quite a jerk in this one. I mean they just ruined his character in this one. And to be quite honest none of the characters is all that likable this time around. Then there was quite a lot of scenes that were just plain too dark. I mean I understand it is night-time... but we should still be able to see what is going on. I do applaud Rob Zombie for making the remake his own... I mean this is definitely not a carbon copy of the original Halloween series! But I didn't like getting so deep into Michael Myer's head. In my eyes it took away from who/what Michael Myers is. This is turning out to be a very negative review here... but there is some things I did like about it as well. Mostly how they keep things moving... how they keep the tension up. Maybe I should have re-watched the original remake before this one... but I am really not sure if that would have made things for this one better or worse. If you want to check this one out for yourself... let me suggest that you be sure to get it cheap... or better yet... catch it on cable.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 35
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:55:25 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2011, 05:59:51 PM »
     Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Second Season: Halloween (1997/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Bruce Seth Green
Writing:Joss Whedon (Created By), Carl Ellsworth (Writer)
Length:44 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers
Nicholas Brendon as Xander Harris
Alyson Hannigan as Willow Rosenberg
Charisma Carpenter as Cordelia Chase
David Boreanaz as Angel

Plot:
After renting Halloween costumes from an unusual shop, Buffy and her friends literally begin turning into whatever costume they are wearing.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is the first ever Halloween episode... and also I think I would have to say my favorite Halloween episode of the series.I always loved the idea of the characters turning into their Halloween costumes. I would also say that the entire season 2 is most likely my favorite season of the series. Gotta love Evil Angel!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 69
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2011, 06:50:36 PM »
     Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Fourth Season: Fear Itself (1999/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Director:Tucker Gates
Writing:David Fury (Writer)
Length:42 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers
Nicholas Brendon as Xander Harris
Alyson Hannigan as Willow Rosenberg
Seth Green as Oz
Anthony Head [Anthony Stewart Head] as Giles

Plot:
A Halloween party at a campus frat house takes a frightening turn with the sudden appearance of blood-sucking bats, zombies, and a demon that plays on everyone's innermost fears.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned
  • Original Script

My Thoughts:
Another fun Halloween episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I like how they noted the first Halloween episode where Xander made sure he was something cool and tough just in case they were turned into their costumes again. I also had to laugh at Anya wanting to dress up as something scary so she dressed as a bunny since they frighten her! And got to say I got a kick out of when they revealed the Fear Demon. Definitely a fun episode!

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 70
Pete