Author Topic: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2011  (Read 32642 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2011
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2011, 06:29:48 PM »
     Halloweentown II: Kalabar's Revenge: Double Feature (1998/United States)

Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Walt Disney Home Entertainment
Director:Mary Lambert
Writing:Jon Cooksey (Writer), Ali Marie Matheson (Writer), Paul Bernbaum (Original Characters By)
Length:81 min.
Rating:TV-PG
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Kimberly J. Brown as Marnie
Judith Hoag as Gwen
Daniel Kountz as Cal
Joey Zimmerman [Joseph Zimmerman] as Dylan
Emily Roeske as Sophie
Phillip Van Dyke as Luke

Plot:
The Cromwell clan live in the real world, except for their grandmother who lives in Halloweentown, a place where monsters go to escape reality. But now the son of the Cromwells' old enemy Kalabar has a plan to use the grandmother's book to turn Halloweentown into a grey dreary version of the real world, while transform the denizens of the real world into monsters. Only Marnie, a fledgling witch, can thwart the evil scheme.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I said when we watched part one that Britt and I would be watching one a day until we watched all 4 movies while she was on her 4 day weekend. Well we kinda fell behind on that idea so are now trying to play catch-up. This one is a pretty cute family film for the holiday... though I did enjoy the first one a little more.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 27
TV Ep. Count: 54
Other Count: 1
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2011, 08:09:04 PM »
     Halloweentown High (2004/United States)

Walt Disney Home Entertainment
Director:Mark A.Z. Dippé
Writing:Dan Berendsen (Screenwriter), Paul Bernbaum (Original Characters By)
Length:82 min.
Rating:TV-G

Stars:
Kimberly J. Brown as Marnie Piper
Debbie Reynolds as Aggie Cromwell
Judith Hoag as Gwen Piper
Joey Zimmerman as Dylan Piper
Emily Roeske as Sophie Piper
Finn Wittrock as Cody

Plot:
Back to school's never been so cool or supernatural for Marnie (Kimberly J. Brown), her grandmother Aggie (Debbie Reynolds), and her family of witches in this latest chapter in the ever-popular series of Halloweentown movies.

When Marnie convinces the Halloweentown Council to send several teenagers to her high school in the mortal world, she even promises to give up her magic if any harm comes to them. But soon, Marnie and her new friends are in trouble and out of luck when the evil Knight Of The Iron Dagger appears. He's determined to destroy all things magical, and it's up to Marnie to save her high school, the human world and her magic.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
Brittany and I both agree that this one is better then the previous movie. Enjoyed the storyline. It was fun to see the Halloweentown creatures in the mortal world. I don't know if I would say it was quite as good as the first movie... but I would say it is close anyway.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 28
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2011, 11:10:49 PM »
     Return to Halloweentown (2006/United States)

Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Walt Disney Home Entertainment
Director:David Jackson
Writing:Max Enscoe (Screenwriter), Annie De Young (Screenwriter), Juliet Giglio (Screenwriter), Keith Giglio (Screenwriter), Paul Bernbaum (Original Characters By)
Length:88 min.
Rating:TV-PG

Stars:
Sara Paxton as Marnie
Judith Hoag as Gwen
Lucas Grabeel as Ethan
Joey Zimmerman [J. Paul Zimmerman] as Dylan
Kristy Wu as Scarlett
Keone Young as Silas Sinister

Plot:
Unlock the secrets in the fourth installment of the hit Disney Channel Halloweentown series and discover a "Behind-The-Scenes Spooktacular" with an insider's look at the special effects and creature creations on the Ultime Secret Edition DVD.

Everyone knows Marnie Piper (Sara Paxton, Aquamarine) is a witch, so it comes as no surprise when she wins a full scholarship to prestigious Witch University in Halloweentown. Marnie travels through the portal to become Witch U's most famous coed. But everything is not what it seems. There's a new school rule: No magic allowed! With the help of old friends Ethan (Lucas Grabeel, High School Musical and High School Musical 2) and Benny the Skeleton, and new friends Professor Periwinkle and Aneesa the Genie, Marnie learns she holds the key to revealing the ultimate secret.

The exciting Halloweentown series continues with more magic, mystery and suspense in Return To Halloweentown!

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is the final of the Halloweentown movies. My first time seeing it. Brittany's second time. Another one that we enjoyed. In this one the youngest sister was missing. And the oldest sister is played by a different actress. We did enjoy it... but I don't think it was quite as good as the previous movie. But it has a few good chuckles in it. While I enjoyed watching the Halloweentown movies... of course the best part about it was doing so with my teen daughter.  Getting to spend the day with her was more important to me then anything I could have watched.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 29
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2011, 01:06:28 AM »

American Horror Story
American Horror Story is a dramatic television series created and produced by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk. The story focuses on a family that moves to a house Los Angeles, unaware that it is haunted.

Father Ben Harmon (Dylan McDermott) is trying to deal with his wife's rejection after he has an affair with a student, and soon falls under the house's sway. Meanwhile, wife Vivien (Connie Britton) must not only try to forgive her husband but deal with the aftereffects of a miscarriage. Daughter Violet (Taissa Farmiga) is confronted with hostile girls at her new school and befriends her father's disturbed teenage patient, Tate Langdon (Evan Peters). And lurking nearby is neighbor Constance (Jessica Lange), a former actress who both hates and is oddly protective of her special-needs daughter Adelaide (Jamie Brewer), who can sense the house's evil.

Episodes:
- Pilot
- Home Invasion
- Murder House

My Thoughts:
A new horror series that started this month on FX. I been looking forward to this series since I first heard about it. Unfortunately... while I did enjoy it... the pilot episode didn't live up to my expectations. But it didn't take long for me to get into the storyline and started to enjoy the series more with each episode that I watched. My favorite episode so far is Home Invasion. Out of the first three episodes that aired so far that one kept my interest the most.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 57
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2011, 01:11:36 AM »
And with that I just made my goal for TV Show episodes!  :thumbup: I am glad I was able to meet that goal since it will probably be the only goal I meet this year!  :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2011, 01:39:19 AM »
Let's Go Pete! You can do it :yu:

Only 77 movies to watch in a week to beat your last year record :thumbsup:

GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2011, 06:13:56 AM »
Only 77 movies to watch in a week to beat your last year record :thumbsup:
Sleep is overrated anyway :devil:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2011, 11:46:40 AM »
 :laugh: Yeah... I don't see that happening! Especially since I been on such a huge TV Series kick the past few months. I didn't post about it but I already watched the entire season 4 set of The Big Bang Theory as well as all but the last disc of season 2 of Numb3rs this month as well.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2011, 03:26:16 PM »

Last Man Standing: Last Halloween Standing
Mike feels let down when his daughters aren't into celebrating Halloween with him the way they used to. He decides that his two-year-old grandson, Boyd, can be his perfect trick or treat partner. But Kristin, Boyd's mother, adamantly tells him that she doesn't want her son to go out on Halloween. Mike sneaks him out -- with a plan to get the child home before Kristin gets back from work.

My Thoughts:
A Halloween episode of the new Tim Allen sitcom. I have been enjoying this show quite a bit since it started. Tim Allen dresses as John Wayne from Green Berets. His wife (played by Nancy Travis) was dressed as a Sexy Pirate Princess. This episode also has a special guest appearance by Elvira. This is the first Halloween episode of the current season that I have seen so far. And was a good start.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
TV Ep. Count: 58
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:30:33 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2011, 03:34:44 PM »
I hate Tim Allen's stand-up and his films are nothing better than average, but I have a soft spot for Home Improvement. How does this compare to HI?

Najemikon

« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2011, 04:05:37 PM »
Surely you can also appreciate the marvellous Galaxy Quest? Not to mention Toy Story... :laugh:

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2011, 04:17:07 PM »
Galaxy Quest is a gem.

But it's not Tim Allen's play that achieves this. It's the marvellous acting of Alan Rickman, Sig Weaver, Sam Rockwell and the young Justin Long.
Tim Allen is just ... hmm Tim Allen

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2011, 04:25:31 PM »
Similar but opposite from Home Improvement. He plays the same type of character. This time he has 3 daughters instead of sons. And one of them is a teen mom and they are helping her raise her son. In this one Tim plays a guy working in what seems to be a hunting/survival store. And he does video demonstrations and such for their webpage. So far... while I am enjoying this show quite a bit... I would say not quite as much as Home Improvement.
Pete

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2011, 04:42:52 PM »
Galaxy Quest is a gem.

But it's not Tim Allen's play that achieves this. It's the marvellous acting of Alan Rickman, Sig Weaver, Sam Rockwell and the young Justin Long.

This. Also Toy Story doesn't really count as that's voice acting and a different kettle of chips IMO. :)

Najemikon

« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2011, 05:30:51 PM »
Galaxy Quest is a gem.

Yeah, I was taking the mick with Toy Story, but I absolutely disagree with this. The co-stars are marvellous, but that's what they are: co-stars and sidekicks. It's Allen's character who leads the film as the sort of straight-man. I really enjoyed his performance in that film. He was the anchor, as well as being part of one of the best comedy casts for years.

I should point out that I can't appreciate how he performed in relation to other roles. I haven't seen even a nano-second of HI and the only other film I can think of with him in was Redbelt, which was a fairly serious role. I just appreciated that he pitched the character perfectly in GQ and several of his lines come back to me as fast as Alan "...to find a PUB!" Rickman.