Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 295854 times)

snowcat

Re: RossRoy's Random Viewings
« Reply #405 on: November 14, 2009, 10:40:33 AM »
As much as I really enjoyed Transformers ROTF, it had some fatal flaws, now, Im not a Transformer expert but weren't the bots hard to distinguish between? especially the Decepticons.

but I did really enjoy the film, in fact that 2 hour long advert made me go out and buy a Bumblebee transformer and the first film on DVD!

Najemikon

« Reply #406 on: November 14, 2009, 11:42:46 AM »
Some of the shots are just breathtaking.

That's nice to know! I've had the Blu-Ray for ages, but not got around to it yet... :thumbup:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 14, 2009, 05:00:49 PM »
but I did really enjoy the film, in fact that 2 hour long advert made me go out and buy a Bumblebee transformer and the first film on DVD!
When I've asked my godson what he want for Christmas he ask for an Optimus Primus transformer ::)
This isn't my idea of a real gift at all, since he will play with that maybe 2 weeks. But I sure don't want to deceive him... maybe I will have buy to another "real" gift with this unnecessary publicity toy.

Najemikon

« Reply #408 on: November 14, 2009, 09:03:30 PM »
When I've asked my godson what he want for Christmas he ask for an Optimus Primus transformer ::)
This isn't my idea of a real gift at all, since he will play with that maybe 2 weeks. But I sure don't want to deceive him... maybe I will have buy to another "real" gift with this unnecessary publicity toy.

Hold on one minute there! Just back up a step or two!  :redcard:

Transformers were toys long before they were cartoons or films and I had an Optimus Prime when I was a kid and it was one of my favourites. I had it for years! I remember saving my pocket money to get it because it was really expensive (£13, IIRC :P).

There is something inherently cool about cars that turn into robots. Don't forget that and encourage him to play with the thing rather than sit in front of the TV watching the films. In fact, get him a couple so he can bash 'em together!

Actually my favourite toys over all were Zoids! When's that movie out? The comics were cool, so there's plenty of material...  :whistle:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #409 on: November 14, 2009, 09:18:20 PM »
I also had Optimus Prime as a kid (and some others, too). I really liked those toys. As Jon said: What's not to like about robots which can transform into different things? I am not sure how the Transformers toys are nowadays. But my Optimus Prime could turn into a small robot (without the trailer), into a big robot (with trailer), and into some kind of battle station!  ;D

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 15, 2009, 12:11:27 AM »
Jon this isn't the kind of gift I give usually, I don't like thing with no goal or use...

In the past I've bought him (for his birthday or Christmas) : A battery truck he can ride, an electric guitar, a soccer game set (2 goal + a ball), a table hockey game, an educative mini-computer, a digital camera (I don't even had one :laugh:) and of course some child dvd.

My brother think I spoil him too much since he is only 6 years old, but he is like my kid ;D

Najemikon

« Reply #411 on: November 15, 2009, 12:42:39 AM »
Ok, buy him the Prime. Me and Tom both think you should buy him Optimus Prime, so do that.

But six years old, you say? In my review of Jason and the Argonauts the other day, I said it should be required viewing of six year olds! So there's the DVD as well...  :whistle:

No need to thank me.  :hysterical:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 15, 2009, 12:58:26 AM »
Good idea Jon, it even had a french track ;D

Is Clash of the Titans correct also for a young kid Jon?

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 15, 2009, 01:31:14 AM »
Good idea Jon, it even had a french track ;D

Is Clash of the Titans correct also for a young kid Jon?

My niece and nephews ages 8 to 3 LOVE Clash of the Titans. They frequently ask to watch it (again and again) when they come over.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 15, 2009, 01:40:37 AM »
That's what I was thinking, but it been a while since I've watch it. I didn't remember anything bad in it, but since my definition of this term is quite permissive I find it better to ask first ;D

RossRoy

« Reply #415 on: November 15, 2009, 02:03:22 AM »
As much as I really enjoyed Transformers ROTF, it had some fatal flaws, now, Im not a Transformer expert but weren't the bots hard to distinguish between? especially the Decepticons.

I'm fully aware there are some fatal flaws, especially regarding the plot and, to some extent, the robot designs themselves. But it's the bloody Transformers we're talking about! I've grown with them! I had them all as a kid! Megatron who transformed into a gun, Starscream, Optimus, Bumblebee, Jetfire, Jazz, Rodimus.. name it I probably had it!

I've said it before, but I'm almost uncontrollable when it comes to giant robot stories. Transformers, Robot Jox, Voltron, Evangelion, Escaflowne, Gad Guard, Full Metal Panic.. even Robocop! Doesn't even have to be "giant" ;)

I'm far from objective when it comes to reviewing Transformers...

(click to show/hide)

snowcat

« Reply #416 on: November 15, 2009, 09:39:27 AM »

I'm far from objective when it comes to reviewing Transformers...

(click to show/hide)

For all its flaws it was a good movie, I enjoyed it but im glad Michael Bay admitted the flaws.

I agree with your spoiler.
(click to show/hide)

Well, im not exactly a kid XD and my transformer is sitting on my shelf right next to my Jurassic Park figures  :-[

But I agree! get him Optimus, my younger cousin has one, He loves it takes it everywhere with him, Ive even had to put its leg back on when it came un clipped last week, he was crying so much :/

Transformers were toys long before they were cartoons or films and I had an Optimus Prime when I was a kid and it was one of my favourites. I had it for years! I remember saving my pocket money to get it because it was really expensive (£13, IIRC :P).

There is something inherently cool about cars that turn into robots. Don't forget that and encourage him to play with the thing rather than sit in front of the TV watching the films. In fact, get him a couple so he can bash 'em together!

Actually my favourite toys over all were Zoids! When's that movie out? The comics were cool, so there's plenty of material...  :whistle:

Lol, I have one of those memories of saving up for something for months and then it was your favourite toy because you worked for it ;P I loved my Jurasic Park Velociraptor.  *See earlier in post ;P*

But I also loved Zoids! i have a few of those around somewhere... not sure where. I believe the one I had was called Garius? :S im not good at remembering names.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 15, 2009, 11:20:12 AM »
My friend didn't want to see the first Transformers in the cinema, because it's not entirely his style of films. We eventually saw it on DVD together and he admitted that it was much better than he thought.

He was then quite interested to see the second one and ultimately liked it much more than I did (as I thought it was trash). Heck, he went and bought an Optimus prime for himself (it's sitting here on my shelf as I write...). He then considered buying more, but those additional ones are for the nephew.3

So, there's gotta be something there (I just don't see it myself).

snowcat

« Reply #418 on: November 15, 2009, 05:56:09 PM »
So, there's gotta be something there (I just don't see it myself).

From both your friends and my experience I have come to one conclusion!

Subliminal Advertising!

RossRoy

« Reply #419 on: November 17, 2009, 12:50:41 AM »
Well, I'm stuck home with gastroenteritis, so what did I do? Watch movies of course! (Well, when I'm not sleeping that is.. which means I've only watched 1 completely, and I keep falling asleep on the second one).

Review following soon.