Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 295856 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: RossRoy's Random Viewings
« Reply #315 on: May 19, 2009, 06:16:35 PM »
It's the same here in Quebec, everything dubbed, so most everybody grew up with dubbing. It's actually very hard with most "average joes" to get them to watch a movie in english, even when they are perfectly bilingual. They'll still watch the french dub.
But to defend the Quebec dubbing the job is usually well done when it's done here in french canadian, the problem is when it's made in France (wrong expression used and annoying accent). I'm sure that many French Canadian who understand the english perfectly prefer to watch The Flinstone or The Simpsons or Slap Shot dub because our versions are better.

But I watch most of my movie in their original language (with or without subtitles when in english) since this is the only way that I have in my 99.999% french speaking region to keep my english hearing. In theory our province is bilingual, but except for Montreal you don't hear too many english speaking in it.

RossRoy

« Reply #316 on: May 19, 2009, 06:21:46 PM »
I also have had the urge to revisit Fumoffu and TSR again, but I have lent my DVDs to a friend a while back and I still don't have them back :(

Yeah, I know the feeling. I lend my DVD too to family and close friends, and tell them to take their time, that there's no rush to bring them back. But I hate getting the urge to watch something, only to find out someone borrowed it.

And somehow, I always feel bad asking for it back, even though it's mine to begin with!..

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #317 on: May 19, 2009, 07:02:57 PM »
I'm getting an almost 24-like vibe from it, with the episodes ending on sort of little cliffhangers and just wanting to keep going and find out what happens next! That's a bit scary, because it means I could get through the whole thing (First Raid, Fumoffu and Second Raid) all in the course of a single week, if it keeps up like that!

That reminds me: Once when I wanted to show one or two episodes of Fumoffu to my brother and a friend of mine, we ended up watching all 12 episodes in one go (must have 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning when we were finally finished) :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 20, 2009, 06:29:26 AM »
Maybe us Germans have a greater tendency to accept the subtitles as we are more used to them...? Then again, there was "quite a few" subtitled movies during my childhood but I don't know if that's still the case. In general Germany has the tendency to dub.
I can only speak for me, but I don't know any german television program that has subtitles. In germany basically everything is dubbed nowadays and as far as I can remember back.
I did put the "quite a few" in quotes on purpose... Seems I generally created a wrong impression. Of course "general" TV had always been dubbed. However, I remember seeing some dubbed films on late night TV or on the less mainstream channels, such as N3.

Well., I don't know, I just wanted to say that over the time at least I can read (the subtitles) and enjoy a film at the same time.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: My Random Viewings
« Reply #319 on: May 24, 2009, 03:31:06 AM »

Rating:
Just watch it tonight since it was on TV and the best of all at the SRC so not too much publicity. Not really too much to say except that even if this is a french movie give it a chance and get it. The movie is subtitled in english, you have no excuse to not try it. I know that I don't own it myself, but I can access it by a relative who own the film (I will probably check the second hand store to get it anyway soon).

This time I was more in the film and I was able to really appreciate it, by chance I was alone since I've passed almost 2 hours crying. Certainly one of our best movie (not something that you will heard me say often for this genre of film)

RossRoy

« Reply #320 on: May 31, 2009, 05:47:55 PM »
   Full Metal Panic! / Fumoffu / Second Raid

What they say
On the surface, Kaname Chidori appears to be a normal, popular high school student. The problem is, she doesn't realize just how popular she is. Unbeknownst to her, a group of terrorists believe she possesses the special powers of "the Whispered," and they're out to kidnap her. Enter Sousuke Sagara, a young, hotshot agent from the stealth anti-terrorist organization Mithril. Will he be able to protect Kaname without her finding out what's really going on? Or will he just drive her crazy as he tries to fit in as her awkward gung-ho, war-crazed classmate?

My Thoughts
Like I already said previously in this thread, I loved the show through and through. There's a great balance between the action, the romance and the comedic elements. I especially like how they used the secondary characters. Personally, I didn't find Chidori to be all that interesting as a main character. It changes by the end of Second Raid mind you, but at first, despite being the second lead, it felt like she was there as filler to drive Sousuke. I found the secondary cast much more interesting, especially Tessa (the captain) and Kyoko (Chidori's best friend).

FMP and Second Raid can be seen as a single long story, and is the "meat" of the series. One thing I found a bit sad, is that you don't get to see the full extent of ARX-7 "Arbalest"'s (Sousuke's Arm Slave) full power until the very last episode. It makes sense in the context of the story, but as they reveal the full power of the mecha, it opens up a slew of opportunity... that goes unexplored! Still, the story is fun and the character's growth, well Sousuke's anyway, is kept interesting.

Fumoffu on the other hand, is a spin off. It could be seen as "what happens while Sousuke is undercover at the high school and not not driving his AS". It's meant to be light hearted and fun. It is. I loved it. Probably even more than I did the main story. There's one thing though.. I know it wouldn't make sense.. but.. What was my darling Tessa? I missed her! Yes, they managed to write her into Fumoffu, but it wasn't long enough! Oh well, the rest of it was still very fun (especially the episode where Sousuke trains the school's rugby team! hahaha)

All in all, it was a great show. Thanks for the recommendation Tom! Guess I can now consider just about any anime you like as a wishlist item* ;)

* I started watching Midori Days, and I'm loving it too! Hence the comment about considering anything you like as good hehe

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 31, 2009, 07:14:41 PM »
I am glad that you were enjoying these three series just as much as I was :)

.. but.. What was my darling Tessa? I missed her! Yes, they managed to write her into Fumoffu, but it wasn't long enough!

Something we agree on. Tessa is such a sweetie. Not for nothing that I had her as my avatar for awhile (and as I see, you have one now also :) ). Did you know, that although most of Fumoffu was based on existing FMP short stories, they have written the two Tessa shows just for the anime? They were so much fun, that the author of FMP later adapted them into short stories though.
Real fun for us Tessa fans was the very last episode in the TSR set. This episode was originally released as an OVA one year after the end of TSR.

All in all, it was a great show. Thanks for the recommendation Tom! Guess I can now consider just about any anime you like as a wishlist item* ;)

* I started watching Midori Days, and I'm loving it too! Hence the comment about considering anything you like as good hehe
Yes, Midori Days is another real fun anime. Nice to see that we have similar tastes :)
Recently I have bought "This Ugly Yet Beautiful World" as I have came attention to it awhile back when I saw it as one of your items in the WhatYaGot thread. Have you watched it yet? I don't remember if I have read a review of yours about it.
Did you watch "Azumanga Daioh" yet? This is also one of my all-time favorite which I already watched multiple times.

RossRoy

« Reply #322 on: May 31, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »
Something we agree on. Tessa is such a sweetie. Not for nothing that I had her as my avatar for awhile (and as I see, you have one now also :) ). Did you know, that although most of Fumoffu was based on existing FMP short stories, they have written the two Tessa shows just for the anime? They were so much fun, that the author of FMP later adapted them into short stories though.
Real fun for us Tessa fans was the very last episode in the TSR set. This episode was originally released as an OVA one year after the end of TSR.

I didn't know any of that. Nice! And I loved that last episode of TSR with Tessa!

I love how she plays with her hair anytime she's thinking or concentrating, hence my choice of avatar ;)

Yes, Midori Days is another real fun anime. Nice to see that we have similar tastes :)

At the beginning of the first episode, and when I realized what the show was going to be about, I got a bit concerned. It looked way too crazy for me.. But they won me over after the first episode! It's pure fun!

Recently I have bought "This Ugly Yet Beautiful World" as I have came attention to it awhile back when I saw it as one of your items in the WhatYaGot thread. Have you watched it yet? I don't remember if I have read a review of yours about it.
Did you watch "Azumanga Daioh" yet? This is also one of my all-time favorite which I already watched multiple times.

That's a negatory to both. I hadn't been watching much of anything, even less anime. But I'm on a roll now! And I feel like watching Anime.

Who knows, maybe I'll even get to "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" before long  :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 31, 2009, 08:02:45 PM »
Who knows, maybe I'll even get to "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" before long  :laugh:

You definately should!! ;)

RossRoy

« Reply #324 on: June 01, 2009, 06:25:50 PM »
Midori Days

Original Title: Midori no hibi
Year: 2004
Director: Tsuneo Kobayashi
Rating: PG-13
Length: 13x 24min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Japanese: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

What they say
Seji "Mad Dog" Sawamura is the ultimate high-school punk. With his super-strong, invincible right hand, he can punch through cenemt walls and lay waste to entire street gangs. But street cred comes with a high price - every girl in the school is absolutely terrified of him! Just when he thinks he is doomed to fly solo forever, Seji's right hand becomes an actual girl! Midori Kasugano wished she could be by Seiji's side...but ended up somehow attached to his wrist. Seiji's fighting days may be over, but his girl-trouble days are about to begin!!

My Thoughts
Not much to say really. It's an enjoyable little series, but nothing too special. It got a bit too sappy at times for my tastes. All in all, it was a fun and worthwile watch.

I need to change that image. It is not at all the cover I have on my DVD
Cover updated!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:32:28 PM by RossRoy »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 01, 2009, 06:29:23 PM »
Midori Days

Seems like you cannot trust my recommendations blindly anymore  :bag:

I need to change that image. It is not at all the cover I have on my DVD
It matches my release though.

RossRoy

« Reply #326 on: June 01, 2009, 06:40:57 PM »
Midori Days

Seems like you cannot trust my recommendations blindly anymore  :bag:

I wouldn't say that. I may have not been as enthusiastic about Midori Days as I was with Full Metal Panic, but I still enjoyed Midori Days. Just a little less than you I guess ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 01, 2009, 06:43:47 PM »
Now I would be interested in your opinion of Azumanga Daioh ;)
It's something completely different to FMP and Midori.
This one could go either way for you. For me, this series just got better and better.

RossRoy

« Reply #328 on: June 01, 2009, 06:56:50 PM »
This one could go either way for you. For me, this series just got better and better.

Guess I know what I'm watching next ;)

RossRoy

« Reply #329 on: June 03, 2009, 12:25:22 AM »

Different you say? Wow! At first, I could barely keep up! It's such a hyperactive show! There's what? 1,000,000 mini-episodes per 24-minute episode? (slight exaggeration :laugh:)

But I like it. It's got great humour so far.

I also know where you got your current avatar from (though you might've mentioned it before, I can't remember)! And guess what? I think she'll turn out to be my favourite character too ;)

She'll get tough competition from Sakaki though. She got me, right from the start, when i-forget-her-name wants Kaorin wants to ask her to join the astronomy club, but never actually asks, and Sakaki just says "I wish she'd invited me"... that's so me!!)

from 3:05 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQEkRbsMAqQ
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:18:02 AM by RossRoy »