Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 292045 times)

RossRoy

Re: My Random Viewings
« Reply #150 on: August 06, 2008, 03:51:11 PM »
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Original Title: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Year: 2007
Director: Tim Burton
Rating: 18
Length: 116 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

What they say
Johnny Depp and Tim Burton join forces again in a big-screen adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's award-winning musical thiller.

My Thoughts
Okay... This is an oddball.

On one hand, you've got the brilliance of Tim Burton's visuals, which wonderfully and beautifully presents this dark story. You also have the acting chops of the likes of Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and Alan Rickman. But then, it's a musical. And at times, I found it painfully obvious that all three lead actors are NOT singers. Don't get me wrong, they still do a good job, but they acting is so far above their singing, that there's a sort of disconnect that happens with me. The emotions and atmosphere being depicted through acting and imagery, do not come across in the singing. Which is unfortunate, because the story of Sweeney Todd, while rather simplistic (betrayed man seeks revenge), still brings in elements to keep it flowing and interesting.

You know, I find myself wondering how it would've turned out, had it been decided to make a straight horror drama out of it, instead of a dark musical.

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2008, 04:58:42 PM »
Ya don't say.

I am still trying to persuade myself to give the film another chance with a second viewing (watched it last months and don't want to wait too long with it). I usually like Burton's films, but he really throws a curve ball with this one...

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2008, 06:07:56 PM »
You know, I find myself wondering how it would've turned out, had it been decided to make a straight horror drama out of it, instead of a dark musical.

:laugh: The fact that it is based on the Sondheim musical, is the *only* reason I have this on my wish list at all. Straight horror drama? I was bored to death by Sleepy Hollow. But maybe I should follow Jim Emerson's advise and get the DVD of the old Broadway production instead.
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2008, 08:51:38 PM »
Broadly speaking, I don't like musicals at all. I find the basic idea of bursting into song to convey feelings just silly and borders on embarrassing when it's a soloist surrounded by people just grinning and waiting patiently for the chorus. So I haven't touched this with a barge pole.

That said, people have told me that Sweeney Todd has been a bit misunderstood because it is a Sondheim musical and the style is a bit different?

RossRoy

« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2008, 05:35:14 AM »
Oh.... My.... God....

Has it really been almost 2 months since I last watched a movie? What's going on with me? Well, I plan to remedy all that, sort of. I decided to partake in the October Horror Fest that will be going on in the coming days, to support Pete in his courageous attempt at breaking last year's record, which were really impressive.

So, the coming reviews, during the coming month of October, will be my small contribution in supporting Pete during this daunting task.

First up will be Young Frankenstein, tomorrow evening! See ya then!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:38:47 AM by RossRoy »

Najemikon

« Reply #155 on: October 01, 2008, 09:38:15 AM »
Blimey. Two months?  :suicide:

RossRoy

« Reply #156 on: October 02, 2008, 05:00:55 PM »
Blimey. Two months?  :suicide:

Yeah, 2 months... Guess Freelancer, Sacrifice, Rock Band 2, NHL 09, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, etc. all got in the way! hehe

Well that, and the fact I've been struggling to complete the Robotech Protoculture Collection set..

RossRoy

« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2008, 05:24:44 PM »
Young Frankenstein

Original Title: Young Frankenstein
Year: 1974
Director: Mel Brooks
Rating: PG
Length: 106 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono, French: Dolby Digital Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

What they say
Mel Brooks' monstrously crazy tribute to Mary Shelley's classic pokes hilarious fun at just about every Frankenstein movie ever made. Summoned by a will to his late grandfather's castle in Transylvania, young Dr. Frankenstein (GENE WILDER) soon discovers the scientist's step-by-step manual explaining how to bring a corpse to life.

My Thoughts
What can I say that has not already been said about this movie?

Gene Wilder is magnificent here as Dr. Fronkensteen ;). Actually, the whole cast is great, and they are having fun, and it shows. The jokes are great, the pacing is well done. It totally works as an homage to the old monster movies, mostly Frankenstein of course. So many great moments. This is one of my favorite comedy.

-----------------------
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Well, dear, are you ready?
Inga: Yes, Doctor.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Elevate me.
Inga: Now? Right here?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Yes, yes, raise the platform.
Inga: Oh. Ze platform. Oh, zat, yah, yah... . yes.
-----------------------

-----------------------
[Frankenstein, Igor and Inga in front of HUGE castle doors]
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What knockers.
Inga: Oh, thank you doctor.
-----------------------

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 04:33:43 PM by RossRoy »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 02, 2008, 06:29:56 PM »
And one of my favorites: "Ah sweet mystery of life at last I found you."

I love this movie so much, and watched it so many times, that I have the whole thing memorized!

RossRoy

« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2008, 06:35:03 PM »
Another one I like:

" From that fateful day when stinking bits of slime first crawled from the sea and shouted to the cold stars, "I am man.", our greatest dread has always been the knowledge of our mortality. But tonight, we shall hurl the gauntlet of science into the frightful face of death itself. Tonight, we shall ascend into the heavens. We shall mock the earthquake. We shall command the thunders, and penetrate into the very womb of impervious nature herself. "

RossRoy

« Reply #160 on: October 05, 2008, 04:01:56 PM »
Blade

Original Title: Blade
Year: 1998
Director: Stephen Norrington
Rating: R
Length: 120 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo

What they say
Wesley Snipes stars as the tortured soul Blade - half man, half immortal. Blade sharpens his lethal skills under the guidance of Whistler (Kris Kristofferson), his mentor, guardian and fellow hunter of the night. When the bloodthirsty Immortals' lord, Deacon Frost (Stephen Dorff), declares war on the human race, Blade is humanity's last hope for survival.

My Thoughts
I always liked vampire movies. Coat it with a hefty dose of action, and you've definitely got my attention. In that regard, Blade doesn't disappoint me. I like the concept of the Daywalker, being a half transformation with the strengths of the vampires, without the weaknesses. The movie itself is rather standard action movie run of the mill fair, but I don't know. There's still something interesting in there that I like. Can't wait to watch part 2!

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 04:34:00 PM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2008, 05:30:05 PM »
Blade II

Original Title: Blade II
Year: 2002
Director: Guillermo Del Toro
Rating: R
Length: 117 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround EX, English: DTS ES (Matrixed), French: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround, Music Only: Dolby Digital 5.1

What they say
When the world is threatened by a new and deadlier breed of super vampire, the legendary Blade (Wesley Snipes) and his mentor Whistler (Kris Kristofferson) must join forces with the Bloodpack, an elite team of vampire warriors made up of Blade's sworn enemies. These ravenous fiends must be destroyed at all costs in this high-voltage adventure exploding with spectacular effects and martial arts action. The electrifying Snipes reprises his role from the original cult classic, 'Blade.'

My Thoughts
Finally! Blade shown as his superhero self, stylized combat and all! This is my favorite of the series*. As I said, Blade is finally given the superhero treatment, a new breed of über-vampire (love them!), the lovely Nyssa, lots of killings, well done effects, a betrayal you see coming miles ahead. Yeah, I like this movie a lot. Only little thing that bugged is that sometimes, it is very obvious they used CGI for some fighting moves, but hey, it's all part of making Blade the superhero he really is!

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 04:34:15 PM by RossRoy »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2008, 04:37:42 PM »

Original Title: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Year: 2007
Director: Tim Burton
Rating: 18
Length: 116 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

What they say
Johnny Depp and Tim Burton join forces again in a big-screen adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's award-winning musical thiller.

My Thoughts

On one hand, you've got the brilliance of Tim Burton's visuals, which wonderfully and beautifully presents this dark story. You also have the acting chops of the likes of Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and Alan Rickman. But then, it's a musical. And at times, I found it painfully obvious that all three lead actors are NOT singers. Don't get me wrong, they still do a good job, but they acting is so far above their singing, that there's a sort of disconnect that happens with me. The emotions and atmosphere being depicted through acting and imagery, do not come across in the singing. Which is unfortunate, because the story of Sweeney Todd, while rather simplistic (betrayed man seeks revenge), still brings in elements to keep it flowing and interesting.

Rating:

Hmmm...I wonder if Pete has bought this one yet?!? :whistle:

RossRoy

« Reply #163 on: October 07, 2008, 04:52:20 PM »
Hmmm...I wonder if Pete has bought this one yet?!? :whistle:

Don't know if he did, but I'd love to see his comments about it!  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 07, 2008, 05:06:46 PM »
Nope... didn't buy it... and won't buy it.

Quote from: RossRoy
Well if they made it a straight out horror instead of a dark musical... they would have at least sold me a copy then!  :P
Pete