Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 295844 times)

RossRoy

Re: RossRoy's Random Viewings
« Reply #465 on: March 28, 2010, 08:20:14 PM »
But since it's one of the most exciting sport to follow, 162 is not enough. Of course for me this sport means many good childhood memories of playing with my dad. ;D

Too bad we don't have a team anymore, but I'm used to support teams who quit the country :laugh:

Yeah, I actually have more memories of the Expos than I do of the Canadiens. But, as a sport, I've always prefered Hockey over Baseball. I love playing Baseball, but watching it? I just can't..

It's odd really. I like a good hockey because it's almost non stop action, up and down the rink (yeah, I know, with defensive teams, this doesn't happen - but i did say a "good" hockey game). With baseball (and football also) it's always stopped. It's like 5 minutes of action, spread over 3 hours (football is about 15 minutes). Yes, the short times there is actually action might be intense, but it's still a whole lot of nothing for a very long time.

Mind you I love playing the game though. Baseball is really fun to actually play (especially catcher - the position I've played in the little leagues back then), yet, I still prefer hockey (and since I was catcher at baseball, guess where they put me for hockey? I'll give you a hint: starts with Goal, ends with The-Browser-The-Shall-Not-Be-Named ;))

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 28, 2010, 08:36:04 PM »
I have started playing also as a catcher untill a ball broke my nose and I became affraid of the ball (it was a friend league, so no protective gear). Because of this I moved to the left field for the rest of the season, but my career was over after this summer because the ball continued to frighten me when I was at the plate. :bag:

Being a goalie is fun. You are the guy who freeze to death while playing :laugh:
I've played a couple of years as a defenceman in a hockey putch team. It was fun, but my big smoking habit made the game really hard to play for me.

RossRoy

« Reply #467 on: March 28, 2010, 08:39:56 PM »
I have started playing also as a catcher untill a ball broke my nose and I became affraid of the ball (it was a friend league, so no protective gear). Because of this I moved to the left field for the rest of the season, but my career was over after this summer because the ball continued to frighten me when I was at the plate. :bag:

My uncle decided I was looking too afraid of the ball and made me play catcher without a helmet and throwing the ball harder and harder until I missed one and received it right between the eyes. That's when he said:

"Now that you know how it hurts to receive the ball right in the face, you'll know to never miss another one"

He was right. He got me back at the plate, with helmet this time, and I very rarely missed a ball. Surprisingly, I made me better instead of scaring me to death.

It also helped me play goalie too, I wasn't afraid of the puck anymore.

And the way they divided the teams, I never had time to freeze while in goal. They always put me in goal with the weak team, and but the stronger better guys in the opposite team.

Awww good times, good times. ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 28, 2010, 08:42:05 PM »
I know this will only make people think I am weirder then they already thought (my hatred of music)... but I hate sports too.... All sports!  :tease:
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 28, 2010, 10:45:16 PM »
When they gave out love of sports they must have given me Pete's share, I love them all. If there is any type of sporting event on, I will watch that over anything else. I even got hooked on curling!

My favorites are hockey, football, baseball, golf, basketball, tennis, summer and winter Olympic events, etc. etc. etc.

RossRoy

« Reply #470 on: March 28, 2010, 11:40:38 PM »
With the last Olympics, I found out I actually love curling! All the strategies and trying to outplay the opponent. I even watched it in english because the english commentators seemed more knowledgeable about the sports than the french ones.

Rogmeister

« Reply #471 on: March 29, 2010, 04:49:48 AM »
Baseball is actually my favorite sport despite the fact my team, the Pittsburgh Pirates, suck and have for a long time  :tv:  The last year they had a winning record was way back in 1992.  That's right, they have had nothing but losing records for the last 17 seasons and I really don't think this season will be any different.  But hope springs eternal.  I think my interest in baseball is helped a little by the fact I also play fantasy baseball.  And also the fact I play baseball video games.  It's the one way my team has a chance to win the title...  :thumbsup:

RossRoy

« Reply #472 on: April 13, 2010, 05:28:46 AM »
Well, not too surprising but.. they've got me again! 3 episodes in and I'm hooked! Although I just keep getting even more Lost... and I love it!  :thumbup:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 13, 2010, 06:09:32 AM »
Lost...

I just want them to wrap up the few remaining episodes so that I can have the ending spoiled over the internet somewhere. It's a great show, but it moves way too slow for me. Do the same stuff over four seasons, maybe even three, and I might be interested more.

RossRoy

« Reply #474 on: May 04, 2010, 03:12:28 AM »
Lost: Season 5
WHAT THEY SAY
The epic story of LOST twists, turns and time-shifts in its outstanding fifth season. Packed with bonus material, including a revealing interview with the cast and an exclusive behind-the-scenes feature, LOST is better than ever on DVD.

When destiny calls, the Oceanic 6 find their way back to the island. Discover what forced them to return, and find out the fate of all those who were left behind.

The answers to some of LOST's most pressing questions are revealed in this spectacular 5-disc collection, complete with deleted scenes an an incredible vault of exclusive bonus features. The show that revolutionized primetime proves once again why it is television's most addictive and creative series. "You'd be crazy not to watch," proclaims Matt Roush of TV Guide.

MY THOUGHTS
The plot thickens again! Is it even possible? Looks like it ..

This season was interesting. Some really intriguing and interesting situations were created, as much between the characters themselves, as with the situations they are thrust in. I did think the season dragged a bit, but it starts well, and ends well, so all is forgiven!

Can't wait to see what the season finale implies for season 6, and for all that happened before!

Still a great series, 5 seasons in. I'm actually sad that it's coming to an end in season 6, but at the same time, I don't think I could take much more of those twists and turns.

RATING

RossRoy

« Reply #475 on: May 04, 2010, 03:22:16 AM »
Robot Chicken: Season 2
WHAT THEY SAY
It's back! Season Two of the ADULT SWIM high-octane hellspawn returns with 20 freshly hatched episodes! It's a brain-scrambling bonanza of pop culture-crushing sketch comedy, acted out by chunks of wire and plastic cunningly crafted to resemble people and animals, then stop-motion animated frame by painstaking frame in the style of the old masters! COME PARTAKE IN A PUNK ROCK PUPPET POOL PARTY!

MY THOUGHTS
I love the concept of the show, best summed up by their own tagline: "Stop-motion animation for grown ups". And it's true to form!

Yes it's crude and there's a lot of scat jokes. But at the same time, they can hit pure genius:

Mario and Luigi: Vice City

Inspector Gadget Terminator:
http://www.livevideo.com/video/benhn1/87054C98EDEF44A0A029F152B06351D2/robot-chicken-inspector-gadget.aspx

And it's these little gems I love. Some of the channel flip jokes are great too, even though they often last only 3-6 seconds.

Of course I love stop motion animation to begin with, so it helps!

Great show!

RATING

RossRoy

« Reply #476 on: May 04, 2010, 04:05:43 AM »
Sherlock Holmes
WHAT THEY SAY
The hangman did his job, Dr. Watson declared the condemned man dead…yet Lord Blackwood has emerged from the tomb to assert his deadly will over 1890 London. Is he in league with the forces of hell itself? Is the whole Empire in peril? It’s a mystery macabre – and only Sherlock Holmes can master it. Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law put memorable imprints on Holmes and Watson in this bold new reimagining that makes the legendary sleuth a daring man of action as well as a peerless man of intellect. Baffling clues, astonishing Holmesian deductions, nimble repartee, catch-your-breath scenes of one slam thing after another – director Guy Ritchie helms the excitement reintroducing the great detective to the world. Meet the new Sherlock Holmes!

MY THOUGHTS
Is there anything Robert Downey Jr. is not good at?

I love this reimagining - or rather, return to roots - for the return of Sherlock Holmes!

I must admit I wasn't entirely sure when I saw the previews and how it looked like it was headed towards boring action-packed-look-first-no-content fare, but I was pleasantly surprised! This Sherlock Holmes doesn't deal in much subtlety, but still, it worked! I like this depressive, darker, deranged Holmes. And I especially like Downey's portrayal.

Hope they make a few sequels!

RATING

RossRoy

« Reply #477 on: May 04, 2010, 04:09:50 AM »
The Island
WHAT THEY SAY
Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson lead an all-star cast as residents of an isolated, high-tech compound. But when they discover they're actually clones, and worth more dead than alive, they stage a daring escape. Battling an unfamiliar environment and an armed team of mercenaries in hot pursuit, they'll risk their lives and freedom to save those they left behind - and reveal the truth about 'The Island'.

MY THOUGHTS
Just as good as I remember it. It's a nice story, with great action, that exposes a dilemma I'm certain we're heading head-first into. Maybe I won't see it myself, but in a few generations...

Scarlett Johansson is stunning as always. Wouldn't mind her cloned meself ;)
Ewan McGregor gives a good performance.
It was really fun to see Neelix again.

RATING

RossRoy

« Reply #478 on: May 08, 2010, 04:17:30 AM »
Quick question - I'm about to watch Ghost in the Shell for the first time ever. But which version?

Ghost in the Shell
  OR  
Ghost in the Shell 2.0

Guess I already found my answer - thanks Jon!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 04:56:40 AM by RossRoy »

Najemikon

« Reply #479 on: May 08, 2010, 01:46:49 PM »
Oh absolutely the first version. Then do please spin-up the other one and compare. :thumbup: But in any case, I hope you like the film after I enthused about it so much! :tomato: