Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 295704 times)

RossRoy

Re: RossRoy's Random Viewings
« Reply #540 on: July 24, 2010, 07:16:58 AM »
Farscape: Season 4
WHAT THEY SAY
A great deal of time passes between Seasons Three and Four which helps develop the show's extraordinary characters even more fully. More recent additions to the crew, including Noranti and Sikozu, as well as a shocking former enemy, play major roles in a series of thrilling, surreal, and nearly lethal adventures.

As each season has raised the stakes for the crew, this season raises the stakes for the universe itself, with a series of escalating dangers that threaten not only the Farscape galaxy, but Crichton's home galaxy as well.

Season Four features some of the most imaginative science fiction seen in the series so far, while always remaining true to the extraordinary characters, passionate chemistry and whip-crack dialogue that have become Farscape signatures.

MY THOUGHTS
I'm sitting here, completely flabbergasted.

How could they end it like that?? Ok, yes, I know, they didn't plan on getting cancelled, after all, the final episode does end with the words "to be continued" but damn! What an end!

Yet somehow, it seems to fit the show. It ends on a big cliffhanger. You could even say it ends badly. But then, the whole crew of Moya (that's the ship's name) had 4 full years of being screwed, their plans not working, etc. Yes, they usually manage to get out of their sticky situations, but rarely without a scratch. So that final episode, ending the way it does, fits with the rest of the show.

And you know what? As it stands right now, I believe Farscape is the best damn sci-fi TV show ever produced!

It's imaginative . . . It's different . . . It's daring

I loved it!

RATING

RossRoy

« Reply #541 on: July 25, 2010, 04:12:52 AM »
I've started watching Doctor Who... Wow! That show is crazy!

3 episodes in - we've been in the present, 5,000,000,000 years in the future, and now 150 years in the past! :stars:

To paraphrase a well known fast food chain - I'm lovin' it! ;)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #542 on: July 25, 2010, 04:32:26 AM »
Do you have Farscape Peacekeeper Wars?  It is a movie made after the series ended and it ties up things.  I saw some of it on tv once..and I got the DVD recently.

http://www.amazon.com/Farscape-Peacekeeper-Wars-Ben-Browder/dp/B0006FO9B0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1280025119&sr=1-1

RossRoy

« Reply #543 on: July 25, 2010, 04:58:08 AM »
Do you have Farscape Peacekeeper Wars?  It is a movie made after the series ended and it ties up things.  I saw some of it on tv once..and I got the DVD recently.

Yeah I have it.. but I want to let the last episode of S4 sink in before I watch it. I'm a bit scared it might ruin everything else.

RossRoy

« Reply #544 on: July 30, 2010, 11:06:07 PM »
Doctor Who: Series 1
WHAT THEY SAY
A set containing all 13 stories from the 2005 series of 'Doctor Who'. Christopher Eccleston's Doctor is wise and funny, cheeky and brave. An alien and a loner (it's difficult keeping up with friends when your day job involves flitting through time and space), his detached logic gives him a vital edge when the world's in danger. But when it comes to human relationships, he can be found wanting. That's why he needs new assistant Rose.

Rose (Billie Piper) is a shop-girl from the present day. From the moment they meet, the Doctor and Rose are soulmates. They understand and complement each other. As they travel together through time, encountering new adversaries, the Doctor shows her things beyond imagination. She starts out as an innocent, unfettered by worldly concerns. But she ends up an adventurer who, by the end of the series, can never go home again...

MY THOUGHTS
Watching this first series of Doctor Who is my very first exposure to The Doctor.

Oh sure, I knew what the Daleks were, what they looked (though I always wondered what was so scary about them), I knew the "Doctor Who" concept, I had seen the blue police box they call The TARDIS. I just never knew how they all fit together.

Now I do.

Wish I had known before!

What a great show! Love the concept. Instead of being locked in whatever world they start the show on, the TARDIS allows pretty much anything! Like I said in a previous post, the first 3 episodes of the series show that right there: episode 1 takes place in the present with the first meeting of The Doctor and Rose. Then they go to the future, but not 100 years in the future, 5 BILLION years in the future! Where Humanity's obsession with weight has pushed the last human WAY over the edge  :laugh:. And then what? They go in the past! 100 or so years in the past! But there's nothing stopping them from going to prehistory, or even the big bang (from episode titles, I think it's coming actually hehe)

I loved Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor. I love how the character recognizes the awesome power he wields as a Timelord with his TARDIS and also how he marvels at history unfolding right before his eyes. And Christopher brings such a great energy and passion to the role! I have no idea how the eight previous Doctors were, I love this ninth!

I also like the choice of Billie Piper as the companion. She is beautiful, but not too much, and she can be quick witted and is more than a match to The Doctor. She actually challenges him, forces him to see things differently.

Both of them also have a great chemistry. And it's a good thing, because the whole show hinges on their performance and chemistry. If the Doctor / Companion dynamics don't work, the whole show crumbles upon itself. Fortunately for us, it works! Wonderfully!

It's really sad that Christopher decided to leave after a single series. But from that quick single flash at the end of the series finale, I'd say David Tennant might be another interesting Doctor (actually, since I've already watched 5 episodes of series 2 - I say :thumbup: to David Tennant. Different, but quite good.) 

The alien designs on Doctor Who are also quite imaginative (something I really liked on Farscape), from the Face of Boe to the Forest of Cheem, or even Moxx of Balhoon (who greets by spitting in your face! :laugh:)

Great show! It's fun, energetic... but way too short! Damn British with their "quality over quantity" mentality! Why not have both? ;)

RATING

RossRoy

« Reply #545 on: August 01, 2010, 04:31:30 AM »
Not related to movies or anything but... my wireless mouse receiver just died on me!  :'(
And the worst is? It is was a Logitech G7 mouse - they are not made anymore!
I loved that mouse! First wireless mouse I found to actually work just as good - if not better - than a wired one...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #546 on: August 01, 2010, 04:34:33 AM »
That sucks. :(

RossRoy

« Reply #547 on: August 01, 2010, 04:56:36 AM »
That sucks. :(

Yeah.. but we have plenty of computers here so it was easy to find a temporary replacement... I'm just crushed that I'm going to have to get used to a new mouse...

I'm leaning towards a Logitech M510 - anybody got experience with it? Other suggestions?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #548 on: August 01, 2010, 05:01:42 AM »
I don't know anything about mice, so I'm less than helpful with that.  I just have the generic mouse that came with my computer.  It is a laser mouse, but it isn't wireless. 

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 01, 2010, 11:25:27 AM »
A friend of mine gave me a brand new wireless mouse. I am never going to use it so if you want it, it's yours. I'm not at home (dog sitting for a friend) now but I will run home this afternoon and find out what kind it is and let you know.

Sanuye

« Reply #550 on: August 01, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »
I bought a logitech M705 yesterday. The wheel didn't work anymore in the old one...
The new one is a laser wireless mouse. It's nice but the "feel" is different.
And I managed to zoom the DVDCol forum page and now I don't know how to go back to normal  :hysterical:

hal9g

« Reply #551 on: August 01, 2010, 03:46:23 PM »
Try holding down the CTRL key while moving the scroll wheel on the mouse back and forth.

RossRoy

« Reply #552 on: August 01, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »
Try holding down the CTRL key while moving the scroll wheel on the mouse back and forth.

Or, on Firefox at least, hitting CTRL-0 (that's a zero, not the letter O) it should revert back to standard zoom

Edit: Works on Internet Explorer 8 too

Sanuye

« Reply #553 on: August 01, 2010, 03:56:49 PM »
Thank you!!!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #554 on: August 01, 2010, 11:01:17 PM »

And I managed to zoom the DVDCol forum page and now I don't know how to go back to normal  :hysterical:

I did that once..it about made me crazy till I figured out how to fix it.  I think that time I actually had some help from a cat sitting on my keyboard.  :laugh: