Author Topic: Eric's DVD watching.  (Read 117025 times)

Touti

Re: Eric's DVD watching.
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2009, 10:59:27 PM »
:-X

Oh let it out......you know you wanna !

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2009, 05:39:30 AM »
Comic books are (obviously) full of psychological references for teenage boys :laugh:

I know it's supposed to make me feel like I'm part of the actions but I'm not and I know it.  I'm sitting on my butt with a remote in one hand, a beer in the other one and bowl of pop-corn on my thighs.  Nobody's hitting me, nobody's shooting at me, nobody's trying to kill me and no matter what they do I will not feel like I'm part of the action because I ain't that stupid.
That reminded me of that skid from Kentucky Fried Movie, where theater patrons get an improved experience by people doing things to them that match the action on screen... :laugh:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2009, 06:09:20 PM »
I only wish I owned a copy of the original Superman; one recently sold for more than $300,000! :o

Touti

« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2009, 11:54:08 PM »
Been a while since I watched a movie and posted a review but I wasl "called" by Tom's marathon since I (still) own all 4 Lethal Weapon movies.

I'm gonna watch them on my BR player so I can also comment on the quality of the transfer when played in HD mode.

Will be back in a couple of hours with my comments on Lethal Weapon 1.

Touti

« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2009, 11:58:45 PM »
Well.............that BR part of the Marathon didn't last very long I guess.  This is one of the shittiest image I've ever seen.  Sorry for the bad word but it's true.  It is unbelievably "grainy" and and it seems to be off center or something.  On the left edge of my TV there's a vertical white (or amber) line from top to bottom that is very annoying.

I will try the other 3 movies on BR but I'm switching to SD 480p viewing on my "old" player for this one.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2009, 12:23:24 AM »
Well.............that BR part of the Marathon didn't last very long I guess.  This is one of the shittiest image I've ever seen.  Sorry for the bad word but it's true. 

The best HD upscaler cannot do anything against shitty DVDs. My Lethal Weapons DVDs were released 2000, and as most DVDs from that time, they look not so great.

It is unbelievably "grainy" and and it seems to be off center or something.  On the left edge of my TV there's a vertical white (or amber) line from top to bottom that is very annoying.

This is probably from the fact, that you have it set your TV to "Just scan", "1:1" or whichever your TV calls it (it's available for HDMI connections). This will show everything exactly is it is on DVD, and it will show stuff you wouldn't have noticed with your old DVD players because it is in the overscan area.
My TV has two options to avoid this (though I only had to use it once so far):
Either switching to standard 16:9 (and not "Just Scan" as it is called on my TV), or moving the picture in "Just Scan"-mode to left, right, up or down.

Touti

« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2009, 01:04:00 AM »
I never got a chance to get back to you on this or watch the other 3 movies, I had a hell of a week...........again.

When playing in 480p from my regular player the quality of the image was much better, the colors didn't seem as nice but the grainy problem was gone.  I still had the line on the left however so it I came back here to write about it and read Tom's reply.  It turns out that my TV has a setting where I can choose between "Size 1" and "Size 2".  It's not quite like a zoom in that it doesn't loose on the quality of the image but it changes the size a bit and the line disappeared.  That was the first time I had this problem since I bought this TV last winter.

Not much to say about the movie, in the genre it's good and I enjoyed it.

Time or not......tonight I'm watching movies.  My bad week was due to a very bad toothache after a tooth that broke 3 weeks ago.   Had to go to an emergency dental clinic and see a dentist I don't know.  I don't know wtf he did to me either but I can tell you it was quite painful.

So although I have a lot to do I've decided to just sit down, take my pain killers and watch movies.  I rented "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and "Pachendaele", two movies I know nothing about except the title.  I haven't read any reviews so it's a complete blind watch.

Najemikon

« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2009, 02:40:50 AM »
My bad week was due to a very bad toothache after a tooth that broke 3 weeks ago.   Had to go to an emergency dental clinic and see a dentist I don't know.  I don't know wtf he did to me either but I can tell you it was quite painful.

Been there. Done that. Sympathising.  :-X

Couple of years back, I had developed a "food trap" between my two upper back teeth. It hurt occasionally, so "we'll just pull it out", the dentist said. "Those teeth just pop out really easy", the dentist said... "won't hurt a bit!", the dentist said. Oh yeah, turns out my back teeth are special limited edition, wedged in nice and tight, and when you pull on them, they snap. "Ouch", I said.  :weep:

It left the nerve exposed so he had to sort that out, then wait for the tooth to grow so he had something to grip. Bastard.

Salt water was a relief for me. Swill it and that really soothes it.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2009, 03:51:09 AM »
Years ago I've caught a very bad infection after a tooth removal and it was a real pain (one side of my visage was quite swollen). After a visit to the hospital emergency I've discover that it was because the tooth removed the previous week was badly done (a part of the tooth was caught in my gum) and if you want to know what is pain try to have your gum cut with a scalpel and had a tube place in it (all that without painkiller). For me the pain was enough to had all my teeth removed a couple of months later...

Touti

« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2009, 04:35:57 AM »
The curious case of Benjamin Buttons.

Does that friggin movie ever ends ?

Najemikon

« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
 :hysterical:

I've been quite looking forward to seeing that! Apparently it is the same author as Forrest Gump? As way of a guage, do you like Gump?

RossRoy

« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2009, 02:13:14 PM »

I've been quite looking forward to seeing that! Apparently it is the same author as Forrest Gump? As way of a guage, do you like Gump?

Same writers you say?
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/35b0167b17/the-curious-case-of-forrest-gump

;)

Touti

« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2009, 03:59:17 PM »
"The CC of BB" is 2H40 movie.   I usually like long movies, I can easily spend 2.5 to 3+ hours on movies like Amadeus, Forrest Gump, Braveheart or The Patriot and even some Kevin Costner movies like Open Range, Dancing with Wolves and Wyatt Earp.

But all these movies have action scenes or funny scenes that give you a little boost when you start dozing off.  "The CC of BB" doesn't have that so I found it very very long, I started switching position on my seat and hoping for the end to come after about 2 hours.

I think the movie could use a few "wake the crowd" scenes or some cutting here in there.  I can't imagine sitting 2:40 in a theater watching that.

It's still a good movie, the makeups are outstanding, I had a hard time recognizing Cate Blanchett at the beginning.

Score:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 04:07:05 PM by Eric »

Touti

« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2009, 04:04:08 PM »

Same writers you say?
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/35b0167b17/the-curious-case-of-forrest-gump

;)

That's quite interesting Seb.  I didn't know it was the same writer and frankly, had I known, I don't think I would have seen the similarities in the canvas of the two movies but the people who did that clip are quite right, it does look a bit like a 2nd version of the Gump script.

Touti

« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2009, 03:42:33 AM »
Once again I come here to share my despair while I'm watching a movie.  This time it is "Cold Mountain".  I've tried watching it over a year ago and couldn't make it to the end, since most people give good reviews and ratings I thought maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it so I kept it on the ice until now.

I've been watching it for 55 minutes now and I after 30 minutes I was already bored.  It's a nice story and visually it's beautiful but it's just soooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww.  I'm gonna watch it 'til the end this time but I hope it gets a litlle more "catchy".  I think they should have made it shorter and give a little bit more rhythm, that would keep my attention.  Right now I keep wandering away, every scene seems longer than the previous one and appears to take forever to get the point.