Author Topic: Eric's DVD watching.  (Read 117029 times)

Najemikon

Re: Eric's DVD watching.
« Reply #210 on: July 29, 2010, 09:06:33 PM »
OMG! I watched it last night too!  :o I'd been looking forward to seeing it again and planned to since the marathon started.

As you might expect, I will be writing a review, so probably better I get stuck in there. :training: But suffice to say, this is film at it's most artistic, enigmatic and perhaps abstract. Daniel Day Lewis' performance is nothing short of magnificent. It bears more than a passing resemblance with Citizen Kane and I find it just... stunning.

Touti

« Reply #211 on: July 29, 2010, 09:20:44 PM »
I agree with you on Lewis' performance although I was a bit bothered now and then by a little physical resemblance with his character in "Gangs of New York".  It's true that it's beautiful from an artistic point of view but it has no pace. I think 2h38m is way too long for a slow movie.

Not sure why but I feel compelled to compare it with "The assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford" which I think overall is better because although it is slow it's got a bit more "hmmphf" here and there.

Najemikon

« Reply #212 on: July 29, 2010, 09:30:47 PM »
Hmmm... pace is in the eye of the beholder, clearly, because I was absolutely engrossed. The comparison with The Assassination of Jesse James (etc!) is not a lazy one, Eric. I think it's very encouraging that cinema had a place for both films, plus No Country For Old Men in recent years.

Touti

« Reply #213 on: July 29, 2010, 09:39:02 PM »
The comparison with The Assassination of Jesse James (etc!) is not a lazy one....

Not sure what you mean by that Jon.

Obviously it's a matter of taste and yes, pace is in the eye of the beholder.  There will be blood is not an exception for me, I never really like movies that are so slow.  Do you remember me posting "Does that freakin' movie ever ends" while I was watching The curious case of Benjamin Button ?

Najemikon

« Reply #214 on: July 29, 2010, 10:02:47 PM »
That's true! And I absolutely agree. That was over-long because it was so far up it's own backside it couldn't find a way out.

You said you wasn't sure why you were thinking of Assassination and There Will Be Blood together; I simply meant you being perceptive and there was a lot to link them. It's interesting actually, that I was going to suggest that fans of one should try the other (and No Country For Old Men) as they would probably like it.

I'll think a bit more on that idea!  :whistle:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 29, 2010, 10:03:43 PM »
Eric, I'm in shock! :) But this is the sort of 70s movie I like. I think I can safely send you in the direction of The French Connection and The Yakuza.

The French Connection is also notable for it's use of sound. I think nerdy film term "diegetic" is apt at this point... ;)

Also try The Seven-Ups, The Friends of Eddie Coyle and The Taking of Pelham 123:thumbup:

Touti

« Reply #216 on: July 29, 2010, 10:28:19 PM »
All 3 added to my wish list with my online rental service.  BTW, it's "Pelham one two three", "Pelham 1 2 3" seems to be a 2009 remake ;)  Thanks for the suggestions, I noticed that Roy Scheider plays in The Seven-ups, I always liked him as an actor, too bad we didn't see more of him after Jaws.

Jon I haven't seen No country for old men yet, I'll give it a try and see how it copes with me in comparison with Jesse James and The will be blood.

Najemikon

« Reply #217 on: July 29, 2010, 10:32:04 PM »
It's definitely faster paced, Eric. It's a drama disguised as a thriller, but it has a fascinating perspective on life and a walking enigma in the central villain.

Oh, and good spot on Pelham! Antares, that could have been nasty! :laugh: The original is one of my favourite films. That might sound like saying "I like breathing", but honestly, in my top personal faves, easily.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:33:44 PM by Jon »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 30, 2010, 01:50:29 AM »
That was me being typing lazy.  :-[

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 03, 2010, 09:04:28 PM »
Just remembered another good 70's film in that vein...Charley Varrick

Touti

« Reply #220 on: August 04, 2010, 02:39:43 AM »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 04, 2010, 02:42:28 AM »
Just remembered another good 70's film in that vein...Charley Varrick
Ah, yes, I remember it. Good stuff. Don Siegel directing Walter Matthau...

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 04, 2010, 02:49:38 AM »
Oh...and mustn't forget Vanishing Point

Najemikon

« Reply #223 on: August 04, 2010, 02:59:39 AM »
I reviewed Vanishing Pointfor my car movie marathon. Great film.  :thumbup:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 04, 2010, 03:03:30 AM »
One more while we're on the subject...

The Sugarland Express, Spielberg's best film, next to Duel, in my opinion.

OK...two then. :whistle:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 03:05:21 AM by Antares »