Author Topic: Windows 7 Question  (Read 4250 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Windows 7 Question
« on: July 12, 2011, 11:43:08 PM »
I have a question about Windows 7. 

I've been using it since I got my new computer and I do like it overall.  I'm still figuring some things out.

I save copies of the reviews I post on Epinions on the computer..and I have them backed up on the external hard drive I got.  In XP and earlier versions of Windows, when I selected all the files in a folder - like one of the folders for my reviews - it would tell me over on the left side how many files were selected.  When I was backing up files on a flash drive, I could quickly check to make sure that the review folders had the same amount of files in them on the flash drive and hard drive - every so often, I've forgotten to move a file to the posted folder.  If the number was off, then I'd go through both folders until I found the missing file.

Well with Windows 7 I haven't been able to find a way to get it to count the files in a folder when they are selected.  Does anyone know if there is a way to get that to show up?  Maybe a setting somewhere I haven't found?

Mustrum_Ridcully

Re: Windows 7 Question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 11:52:47 PM »
Strange.

My Win7 installations do exactly this.

When I open a folder the explorer opens and in the bar below the content I can see how many elements are in the folder in total or how many I have selected

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 12:23:59 AM »
For me it's the same as with Michael.

As for folder comparison/syncronisation, I use Beyond Compare
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:13:03 AM »
In XP I always see that information at the bottom left in the "Status Bar", which is turned off by default. I am not at home, so I cannot check where to turn it on in Win7.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:25:31 AM »
That doesn't look the same as it does for me.  Hmm.

kahless

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 09:37:41 AM »
I use Vista and if I click on the menu "Organize/Layout" I can activate the detail window!

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 10:06:43 AM »
That doesn't look the same as it does for me.  Hmm.

Which Win7 are you using?
Starter
Home Basic
Home Premium
Professional
Ultimate

Offline Eric

• Intermediate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 08:02:13 PM »
Marie,

Windows 7 has it similar to what Kahless said.

Click on "Organize" in the top left corner, select "Layout" and then "Details Pane".  That will activate the bottom part as seen in Karsten's pictures.   

For you backups, instead of going manually like now, I suggest you use a program that does this.  Karsten said he uses something called "Beyond Compare" which I don't know.  I use Microsoft's Synctoy which is free, easy to use and does the job for me. 

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 03:56:05 AM »
Thanks.  I don't know why I didn't notice the organize thing before.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 06:00:04 AM »
FWIW, the "Status Bar" at the bottom is not showing in the pictures. I still don't know how to turn it on though :bag: Maybe also in the Organize section...?

I always thought the way Explorer works is a daunting change from XP to 7 for new users...