Author Topic: The Walking Dead: Episode Review Thread  (Read 4152 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
The Walking Dead: Episode Review Thread
« on: April 13, 2011, 12:55:02 AM »
Episode Review Thread
Waking up in an empty hospital after weeks in a coma, County Sheriff Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) finds himself utterly alone. The world as he knows it is gone, ravaged by a zombie epidemic. The Walking Dead tells the story of the weeks and months that follow after the apocalypse. Based on Robert Kirkman's hugely successful and popular comic book series, AMC's new original series, The Walking Dead, premieres with a 90-minute episode on Halloween night: Oct. 31 at 10/9c. Written and executive produced by three-time Academy® Award-nominee Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile), who also directs the pilot, and executive produced by Gale Anne Hurd (The Terminator, Aliens), the series debuts during AMC Fearfest, the network's annual blockbuster marathon of thriller and horror films.

The Walking Dead is an epic, edge-of-your-seat drama where personal struggles are magnified against a backdrop of moment-to-moment survival. A survivalist story at its core, the series explores how the living are changed by the overwhelming realization that those who survive can be far more dangerous than the mindless walkers roaming the earth. They themselves have become the walking dead.

Cast:
Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes
Jon Bernthal as Shane Walsh
Sarah Wayne Callies as Lori Grimes
Laurie Holden as Andrea
Jeffrey DeMunn as Dale
Steven Yeun as Glenn
Chandler Riggs as Carl Grimes
Lennie James as Morgan
Emma Bell as Amy
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead: Episode Review Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 01:19:06 AM »
My Thoughts Going In:
I wanted to catch this series when it originally aired but I never did. I think this is mainly because it started on Halloween night... and by that time I was pretty much burnt out on horror from my Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon.

Every since it began I have heard nothing but good things about this series. So I hope I am not going into this series with too high of expectations... as that could potentially ruin at least the first viewing of the series for me.

None of the names of the main cast look familiar to me. It kind of sucks that going into this one there is no one in it that I really know. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I am a little disappointed that the first season is so short. Being only six episodes... if I do really get into this series I will be through this first season in no time.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 03:35:28 AM »
The Walking Dead: Season 1

1. Days Gone Bye
Original Airdate: Oct. 31, 2010
Rick searches for his family after emerging from a coma into a world terrorized by the walking dead. Morgan and Duane, whom he meets along the way, help teach Rick the new rules for survival.

My Thoughts:
As I said above... I was a little concerned I would be going into this show with to high of expectations. Whether I did or not... it didn't matter... as I loved every moment of this episode! I really liked how they did the zombies... not only the effects... but the fact that they seemed to use the slow moving zombies is a definite plus in my book. I also liked the fact that the gore is up there a bit... especially considering that this series airs on a basic cable channel. I really like the main character... the cop.... the best so far. Though there really wasn't any characters that I disliked at this point yet. I hope it won't be too long before we see more of the father and son that helped the cop out... and explained to him what is going on. They really didn't give us much time with the group of people that heard the cop on the CB... the group staying somewhere in tents. So I can't say too much about them other then that the one guy did seem a little off to me. I am no looking so forward to watching the rest of this season. Matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised if I finish off the season tomorrow.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 06:00:13 AM »
It is an awesome show and since there is only 6 episodes I am almost certain you'll want to finish it quickly. The first episode is longer too, the next five will only be 45min each...

Fasteddie33

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 07:13:22 AM »
I cant say enough about this show..I love it!!..They must have a huge budget...I got the Blu Ray version,and it has alot of bonus material!!..Cant wait for season 2!!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 05:03:50 PM »
I am going to watch the next episode right after I get out of a hot shower. I got to see how the cop gets out of the predicament he is in.

(click to show/hide)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 07:56:19 PM »

2. Guts
Original Airdate: Nov. 7, 2010
Rick unknowingly causes a group of survivors to be trapped by walkers. The group dynamic devolves from accusations to violence, as Rick must confront an enemy far more dangerous than the undead.

My Thoughts:
Wow... what can I say... I enjoyed this episode just as much as I did the first one. Once again I was glued to my seat... transfixed on this episode. OMG... the way they got out of the city. I don't know that I would have had the stomach to do such a thing. I don't want to get into spoiler mode here... but I have a feeling this isn't the last we will see of that one guy handcuffed on the roof. Just another amazing episode.... and I so can not wait to watch the next one. With every episode I watch the more saddened I get that there was only 6 episodes in this first season.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 09:00:08 PM »

3. Tell It To the Frogs
Original Airdate: Nov. 14, 2010
Rick makes a decision to go back to Atlanta to retrieve the bag of guns and save a man's life. Lori and Shane must deal with the surprising return of someone they thought was dead.

My Thoughts:
This episode focused more on the storytelling then it did the zombie action. Which I understand such an episode was needed... and I still enjoyed it very much.... I didn't quite enjoy it as much as the previous two. But it really wasn't that much of a drop. The storyline definitely pulled me in as well.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 10:17:45 PM »

4. Vatos
Original Airdate: Nov. 21, 2010
Rick's mission to Atlanta is jeopardized when things go awry. Jim becomes unhinged in camp.

My Thoughts:
This episode is another excellent episode. I like how they had it advance the storyline well... much like the previous episode... But at the same time provided a cool zombie attack giving us plenty of action and gore. I usually see such attacks coming a mile away... but this one somehow managed to catch me off guard. Which is cool... because it definitely added to the enjoyment some.

My Rating:
Pete

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 11:42:32 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed The Walking Dead and should be posting my review soon. Like almost everyone else my biggest pet peeve about it was the short 6 episode run but I have already snooped around and discovered that season 2 starts October of this year and is slated to go a full 13 episodes and I can't wait! My wife and I breezed through season one in about a day and a half.  :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 11:46:24 PM »
Thanks for the info... That is good to hear!

I will be watching at least 1 more episode this evening. I just need to decide if I want to watch the last episode tonight... or save it for tomorrow. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 12:41:12 AM »

5. Wildfire
Original Airdate: Nov. 28, 2010
Rick leads the group to the CDC after the attack. Jim must make a terrible life and death decision.

My Thoughts:
Another very good episode. I can't believe how hooked I got to this show in such a short time period. This episode is another that is much more story driven. But it did a great job keeping my interest from beginning to the end.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 12:41:55 AM »
I think I am going to try to save the final episode for tomorrow. :)
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 06:22:59 AM »
Now that you're up to episode 5, may 6 when you read this, let me throw this out there in the open:

(click to show/hide)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 12:36:07 PM »
I was definitely thinking the same thing Achim!
Pete